Rams face challenge from Carolina defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-face-challenge-from-panthers-defense/article_d824b49c-7713-5484-8103-6e18a52452e2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 452e2.html</a>

When it comes to elite defenses, the Rams’ tour of the high-rent district continues Sunday in Charlotte.

Last week it was Houston and the Texans’ top-ranked total defense. This week, it’s Carolina and the Panthers’ third-ranked total defense.

Compared to what the Panthers are bringing to the argument, Houston’s defense was merely a paper tiger — or to be mascot-correct, a paper Texan. Thanks in part to five interceptions returned for touchdowns against the Houston offense, the Texans have allowed 177 points, the fourth-highest total in the league.

Carolina has yielded a mere 68 points, the second-lowest total in the league behind only unbeaten Kansas City’s 65. The Panthers (2-3) haven’t allowed a point in the first quarter all season and have yielded only 12 points in the first half.

When it comes to takeaways, the Panthers are in the middle of the pack with 11; Houston’s defense is next-to-last with three.

“Yes, (Carolina’s defense) is very talented,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “That Texans’ defense was talented but this is a different design, different scheme. A lot more pressure, I think, pass-rush pressure (on) early downs. They’re very good at collapsing the pocket.”

There’s not much star quality on this defense, although linebacker Luke Kuechly was the NFL defensive rookie of the year in 2012. But the Panthers have a front seven to reckon with; it’s the strength of their unit.

“They’re very disruptive; they’re very active,” quarterback Sam Bradford said. “Their defensive line does a great job eating up blockers so their linebackers can make plays. And they’ve really gotten after most of the people that they’ve played this year. So, just like last week, we’re going into this game with the mind-set that this is going to be one of the toughest challenges we’ve seen as an offense this year.”

Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott is a protégé of the late, great Jim Johnson, whose defenses in Philadelphia were known for their heavy blitzing. Like McDermott, Panthers head coach Ron Rivera also spent time on the Eagles’ defensive staff learning under Johnson.

Despite the Johnson influence, this isn’t the blitz-happy outfit as was seen in Philadelphia from 1999-2008.

“Ron’s evolved over the years,” Fisher said. “He’s not doing as much pressure because Jim was a real big pressure guy, and they’ve got a four-man rush down there right now. They don’t need to (blitz).”

At least not as much.

“But when they do, they’ve been effective,” Bradford said. “For the most part, too, when they blitz it’s a single linebacker or they’re firing a safety. I think some of the secondary pressures are the things that we’re going to have to look out for. They’re not extremely complicated, but when they do come, we’ve got to make sure they’re accounted for.”

For example, last week against Minnesota, veteran outside linebacker Thomas Davis had two sacks and got a game ball from Rivera for his efforts. But for the most part, the Panthers are content to let their front four do the pass-rushing, particularly ends Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy.

That tandem both registered double-digits in sacks last season, combining for 23½. In comparison, the Rams’ talented end duo of Chris Long and Robert Quinn combined for 22 sacks in 2012. So far this year, Johnson and Hardy have three sacks apiece.

“You watch the games that they’ve blown people out like the Vikings and the Giants, they’ve done a great job on first down getting the offense into negative plays,” offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “Whether it’s sacks, tackles for loss, and making them kind of play from behind in that regard (in terms of down-and-distance). That’s where they’re going to be at their best.”

Rookie defensive tackles Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short have been space-eaters, occupying blockers and freeing up linebackers to make plays, although Lotulelei’s play has leveled off in recent weeks.

But the person who really makes the Carolina defense go is Kuechly, the Boston College product. The defense really started to jell when Kuechly was moved from outside linebacker to middle linebacker at about this time last season. The Panthers finished 10th in total defense and this season have picked up where they left off — and then some.

“(Kuechly) was defensive rookie of the year for a reason last year,” Fisher said. “He’s an outstanding player. He’s very good in coverage, he was productive around the ball. He had ‘picks,’ some sacks, and he’s a very good run defender.”

Kuechly’s numbers are down a little this year, but he still leads the team in tackles (56) and has two interceptions.

So this shapes up as a true test for the new-look Rams offense. You know, the one with multiple tight ends and a suddenly effective running game with Zac Stacy. Unlike Houston, which was tied for 27th entering the Rams game in rushing defense despite its No. 1 overall defensive rating, the Panthers are stingy on the ground.

They are fourth in run defense (88.8 yards a game) and rank fourth in red zone defense. (The Rams are third in red-zone offense).

“We’ve kept defenses off balance with what we’re doing,” Bradford said. “When you play a defense that’s as good as Carolina, you’ve got to be able to run the football and you’ve got to be able to keep them off balance.

“For us to be successful this week, if we do run the ball on first down, they’ve got to be positive runs and we’ve got to play from ahead of the sticks.”

In other words, avoid second-and-long, and third-and-long situations.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I made this point in another thread and it fits with this one as well;

Is it the defense or the opponents they've faced?

I mean;

Seahawks
Bills
Giants
Cardinals
Vikings

Not exactly offensive juggernauts.

Don't get me wrong. I like some of the players they have over there on defense... but the Rams would kill for that easy schedule to start the year.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Sad thing is. The Rams O is no better than the ones you listed.

Rams better find some O and contain Cam or it's gonna be a long day.

iced

EastRam said:

Actually we're clearly better than the Giants, Cardinals, and Vikings.

I know they're loaded with talent but I'm looking at production and protection. 2 of those 3 seriously lack the latter

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
I made this point in another thread and it fits with this one as well;

Is it the defense or the opponents they've faced?

I mean;

Seahawks
Bills
Giants
Cardinals
Vikings

Not exactly offensive juggernauts.

Don't get me wrong. I like some of the players they have over there on defense... but the Rams would kill for that easy schedule to start the year.

That's what I was looking at. While I'm not going to dismiss what Carolina is doing, I'm also not going to declare them world beaters. We will need a good game to beat them. But this is a team that got seriously thumped by AZ and then beat a Vikings team in serious disarray the following week. They are 2-3 for a reason just as we are 3-3 for a reason. But I like our recent direction better than theirs.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
iced said:
EastRam said:

I know they're loaded with talent but I'm looking at production and protection. 2 of those 3 seriously lack the latter

IMO we're better than Buffalo right now as well.

iced

RamFan503 said:
iced said:
EastRam said:

IMO we're better than Buffalo right now as well.

When they have EJ Manuel, nah.. not with that backfield plus woods and johnson

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
They have played only one team with a winning record.

The two wins they had came against two teams that have a combined 1 win.

Their stats are insanely inflated because they have not really played quality opponents.

Their fans brag about holding Peterson under 100 yards. Peterson has only had two 100 yard games and both were against terrible defenses. He rushed 78 yards on his first carry and finished that game with 98 yards on 18 carries. He is not playing that great.

I'm not scurred.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
I've been reading panther forums this week. They have been critical of their coaching staff making adjustments at halftime. their first half gameplan is working however they suggest the coaching staff does not adapt well. I think fisher will play "smashmouth" with them out of the gate to test their resolve if it works Sam should be able to get big plays with play action. What I would like to see is the offense to get favorable matchups and switch to no huddle. see if we cant "gas the D" mix back in with power formations. simply put "play chess while they play checkers". This game looks like an even matchup to me as far as talent. Coaching & special teams may be the deciding factor.

GO RAMS!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecollarram said:
I think fisher will play "smashmouth" with them out of the gate to test their resolve if it works Sam should be able to get big plays with play action.
I think that's what he's going to do too, but I hope they don't. I'd rather see them script some plays and test their secondary early. This is one that they should get Cook involved in right away and see if he can't take advantage of their safeties.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
That would be interesting I just think Fisher expects his team to have "balls of steel" so I cant see him backing down from the challenge of "RAMMING" it down their throats.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I know we have been emphasizing running the ball lately, especially with the personnel packages we've been using. However, I think the key to this game on offense will be pass protection, and our ability to spread out their defense though. It will be interesting to see the game plan going into this one. The Panthers front 7 is going to be a though one to block hat on hat. Big test for the tackles if you spread them out though. We need to find a way to keep Sam upright without giving up too much.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
I agree User tough sledding on that front 7. I'm saying passing game go quick top of the drop ball out type game Carolina secondary needs to be tested. I think Fisher wants his team to know they can run on any team. He is right a young team "don't know what they don't know" give them an objective point them in that direction they will go for it. I think they are trying to establish an identity long term for years to come.