Rams expecting Trumaine Johnson to handle CB job/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams expecting Trumaine Johnson to handle cornerback job
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ing-trumaine-johnson-to-handle-cornerback-job

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As soon as St. Louis Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines departed an early training camp practice with a foot injury, a burgeoning competition for the starting job opposite Janoris Jenkins came to a screeching halt.

Gaines and Trumaine Johnson were expected to battle it out for the starting job with Gaines considered the favorite to win out. But that competition never materialized as Gaines left that practice. When coach Jeff Fisher revealed over the weekend that Gaines would not return this year after surgery on his foot, it became clear that the Rams now expect Johnson to step in and keep the defense rolling.

Fisher acknowledged that Gaines' loss is a blow for the defense, but he believes in the depth the team has built at the position.

“To come in as a sixth-round pick and come in because of injury and keep the job, I thought it was a very impressive effort for him," Fisher said. "We were counting on him. We were going to create competition between Trumaine and [Gaines] this year to see what happened and it’s just unfortunate and just a part of it. He’ll be back. He’ll be back 100 percent. He’s just not going to return this year. Tru is off to a great start. Marcus [Roberson] is playing well and Lamarcus [Joyner] also is doing a good job for us there and Jenks [Janoris Jenkins] is Jenks. We’ve got a good group and unfortunately we’re down one.”

For Johnson, this isn't so much a chance to win a job as it is to reclaim the one he lost to injury a year ago. He looked poised to join fellow 2012 draftee Jenkins in the starting lineup last year before suffering a knee injury in the third preseason game against Cleveland. That injury didn't end his season, but it put him on the sidelines for the first seven games.

By the time Johnson was healthy enough to contribute, Gaines had a firm grasp on the job that was supposed to be Johnson's. Johnson still played a lot, coming in for nickel situations with Gaines moving into the slot for most of the second half of the season. He finished with 36 tackles, three interceptions and two pass breakups.

Instead of spending his time away from the team in his home state of California as he'd traditionally done, Johnson spent a big chunk of the offseason in St. Louis. According to Fisher, Johnson is one of a number of Rams who returned for training camp in the best shape of his career.

It paid immediate dividends in the first preseason game as Johnson came up with an interception and a pass breakup in just two drives worth of snaps.

“It all goes back to what he’s done this offseason," Fisher said. "He was there every day, he’s worked, he’s taken care of his body and he’s determined. If you get in that third and fourth year and play like he has, you should start making those plays when you have that kind of ability.”

The Rams are counting on him to keep it up when the real games start on Sept. 13.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Our top two corners are fine, I'm just worried about the nickel CB job. I think Roberson is a good 4th guy, I just really hope Joyner can step it up.

Penguin.

Rookie
Imagine Gaines, Jenkins, and Tru all healthy and in great shape. Those are some good cover corners/

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our top two corners are fine, I'm just worried about the nickel CB job. I think Roberson is a good 4th guy, I just really hope Joyner can step it up.
I think before the season is out if he makes the team which obviously I think he will Claiborne will be our slit corner his quickness press ability and ball skills makes him a perfect fit for the slot

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams CB Johnson backing his talk with his play
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a69ba0f5-ffbe-5ba1-ac02-faf55560ebb5.html

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson did a lot of talking in Oxnard — OK, let’s call it trash-talking — but he said it wasn’t necessarily by design.

“I’m the type of player, I don’t talk too much until somebody starts talking to me,” Johnson said. “Tony Romo, he’s the one that really sparked it.”

That’s right, long before the brawl that ended Tuesday’s joint practices with Dallas, Johnson was engaged in quite a trash-talking dialogue with the star Cowboys quarterback as well as wide receiver Dez Bryant during a one-on-one red zone passing drill.

“Oh, Dez was there, too,” Johnson said. “Big time. Both of them were yapping at the mouth. It was a good time, though. Great competition for those two days.”

Johnson declined to say what Romo said to get things started.

“I don’t want to get into details,” Johnson said. “They’re in the past. I’m going to Tennessee.”

Which is where the Rams play Sunday night in their second game of the preseason.

Johnson, who’s having a very good camp, had a very good period in that red zone drill, breaking up several passes.

“That’s what I’m supposed to do,” he said. “That’s part of the job.”

At one point, Bryant got so worked up he lined up over Johnson ready to go against him one-on-one, bad hamstring and all.

“He was sold,” Johnson said. “He wanted to go up there. His coaches told him to stop. C’mon now. How you gonna talk trash when you’re not practicing? Seriously.”

Bryant sat out the Oxnard practices because of a hamstring injury. It should be noted that the “fun” between Johnson, Romo, and Bryant was on a field adjacent to where the brawl broke out and had nothing to do with the brawl starting.

It was merely an entertaining warmup act for a main event that would come later. With the season-ending foot injury to E.J. Gaines, the Rams need Johnson to be more than a warmup act in their secondary.

When all was said and done, Johnson may have won the job anyway over Gaines. But now there’s no choice. He’s being counted on to start at corner opposite of Janoris Jenkins this season.

Losing Gaines is a blow, but coach Jeff Fisher thinks the Rams have enough talent at the position to get by.

“To come in as a sixth-round pick and get an opportunity because of injury and keep the job, I thought it was a very impressive effort last year for him,” Fisher said of Gaines. “We were counting on him. We were going to create competition between Trumaine (Johnson) and he this year to see what happens, and it’s just unfortunate.”

But there’s no doubt Johnson appears up to the challenge thus far in camp. He was strong in last week’s preseason opener as well, saving a touchdown with an end zone interception and also breaking up a deep pass against Oakland.

“It all goes back to what he’s done this offseason,” Fisher said. “He was there every day. He’s worked, he’s taken care of his body, and he’s determined. As you get in that third and fourth year and play like he has, you should start making those plays when you have that kind of ability.”

Johnson is one of several Rams scheduled for unrestricted free agency at the end of this year. He said he’s unaware of any extension talks going on between the Rams and his agent.

“Yeah, this is my contract year but I don’t get caught up on that,” he said. “You can’t. I come out here, it’s day by day. Try to be perfect.”

Johnson came into the NFL draft with two of the other three starters in the secondary — Jenkins and free safety Rodney McLeod. Starting strong safety T.J. McDonald came in the following year (2013). So they’ve put in some time together as a unit.

“I love these guys,” Johnson said. “I built chemistry with these guys. I love Coach Fisher. He’s a player’s coach, and I love everything about the whole organization.”

Johnson appears to be playing with more confidence this season, although he says that’s not the case.

“The confidence has been there,” he said with a chuckle. “My whole mindset is coming out here and stacking good days on top of good days. Trying to stay consistent.”

Gaines’ injury not only settles matters at one corner, it also clarifies the situation at nickel back, where Gaines was slated to battle second-year man Lamarcus Joyner for that job.

Now, it’s all on Joyner to get it done at the nickel — or third cornerback position — a position that’s on the field about 60 percent of the time in the pass-happy NFL.

As part of that domino effect, Marcus Roberson moves up to the No. 4 corner spot. He began camp battling Brandon McGee for the No. 5 corner spot, but McGee has been out with a foot injury.

Fisher said Joyner is “light years ahead of where he was last year. ... The game’s starting to slow down for him. When he knows exactly what to do, he does it very well. So we’re counting on him to be effective in the slot.”

Realizing that the mental aspect of the game is just as important as physical skill, Joyner said he switched his focus in the offseason. He spent a lot of time studying his playbook, focusing on his assignments and the concepts within those assignments.

A college star at Florida State, Joyner realized as a rookie last season that it takes more than talent to succeed in the NFL.

“You come to the league and you see that everybody’s just as good as you,” Joyner said. “So it’s not just I’m gonna go tie my shoes on Sunday and compete. You have to really prepare each day of camp. And I didn’t really understand that coming into this game.”

He understands it now.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Rams CB Johnson backing his talk with his play
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a69ba0f5-ffbe-5ba1-ac02-faf55560ebb5.html

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson did a lot of talking in Oxnard — OK, let’s call it trash-talking — but he said it wasn’t necessarily by design.

“I’m the type of player, I don’t talk too much until somebody starts talking to me,” Johnson said. “Tony Romo, he’s the one that really sparked it.”

That’s right, long before the brawl that ended Tuesday’s joint practices with Dallas, Johnson was engaged in quite a trash-talking dialogue with the star Cowboys quarterback as well as wide receiver Dez Bryant during a one-on-one red zone passing drill.

“Oh, Dez was there, too,” Johnson said. “Big time. Both of them were yapping at the mouth. It was a good time, though. Great competition for those two days.”

Johnson declined to say what Romo said to get things started.

“I don’t want to get into details,” Johnson said. “They’re in the past. I’m going to Tennessee.”

Which is where the Rams play Sunday night in their second game of the preseason.

Johnson, who’s having a very good camp, had a very good period in that red zone drill, breaking up several passes.

“That’s what I’m supposed to do,” he said. “That’s part of the job.”

At one point, Bryant got so worked up he lined up over Johnson ready to go against him one-on-one, bad hamstring and all.

“He was sold,” Johnson said. “He wanted to go up there. His coaches told him to stop. C’mon now. How you gonna talk trash when you’re not practicing? Seriously.”

Bryant sat out the Oxnard practices because of a hamstring injury. It should be noted that the “fun” between Johnson, Romo, and Bryant was on a field adjacent to where the brawl broke out and had nothing to do with the brawl starting.

It was merely an entertaining warmup act for a main event that would come later. With the season-ending foot injury to E.J. Gaines, the Rams need Johnson to be more than a warmup act in their secondary.

When all was said and done, Johnson may have won the job anyway over Gaines. But now there’s no choice. He’s being counted on to start at corner opposite of Janoris Jenkins this season.

Losing Gaines is a blow, but coach Jeff Fisher thinks the Rams have enough talent at the position to get by.

“To come in as a sixth-round pick and get an opportunity because of injury and keep the job, I thought it was a very impressive effort last year for him,” Fisher said of Gaines. “We were counting on him. We were going to create competition between Trumaine (Johnson) and he this year to see what happens, and it’s just unfortunate.”

But there’s no doubt Johnson appears up to the challenge thus far in camp. He was strong in last week’s preseason opener as well, saving a touchdown with an end zone interception and also breaking up a deep pass against Oakland.

“It all goes back to what he’s done this offseason,” Fisher said. “He was there every day. He’s worked, he’s taken care of his body, and he’s determined. As you get in that third and fourth year and play like he has, you should start making those plays when you have that kind of ability.

Johnson is one of several Rams scheduled for unrestricted free agency at the end of this year. He said he’s unaware of any extension talks going on between the Rams and his agent.

“Yeah, this is my contract year but I don’t get caught up on that,” he said. “You can’t. I come out here, it’s day by day. Try to be perfect.”

Johnson came into the NFL draft with two of the other three starters in the secondary — Jenkins and free safety Rodney McLeod. Starting strong safety T.J. McDonald came in the following year (2013). So they’ve put in some time together as a unit.

“I love these guys,” Johnson said. “I built chemistry with these guys. I love Coach Fisher. He’s a player’s coach, and I love everything about the whole organization.”

Johnson appears to be playing with more confidence this season, although he says that’s not the case.

“The confidence has been there,” he said with a chuckle. “My whole mindset is coming out here and stacking good days on top of good days. Trying to stay consistent.”

Gaines’ injury not only settles matters at one corner, it also clarifies the situation at nickel back, where Gaines was slated to battle second-year man Lamarcus Joyner for that job.

Now, it’s all on Joyner to get it done at the nickel — or third cornerback position — a position that’s on the field about 60 percent of the time in the pass-happy NFL.

As part of that domino effect, Marcus Roberson moves up to the No. 4 corner spot. He began camp battling Brandon McGee for the No. 5 corner spot, but McGee has been out with a foot injury.

Fisher said Joyner is “light years ahead of where he was last year. ... The game’s starting to slow down for him. When he knows exactly what to do, he does it very well. So we’re counting on him to be effective in the slot.”

Realizing that the mental aspect of the game is just as important as physical skill, Joyner said he switched his focus in the offseason. He spent a lot of time studying his playbook, focusing on his assignments and the concepts within those assignments.

A college star at Florida State, Joyner realized as a rookie last season that it takes more than talent to succeed in the NFL.

“You come to the league and you see that everybody’s just as good as you,” Joyner said. “So it’s not just I’m gonna go tie my shoes on Sunday and compete. You have to really prepare each day of camp. And I didn’t really understand that coming into this game.”

He understands it now.
He's definitely right with this part. Johnson is absolutely RIPPED. Had no idea how good of shape he was in.
image.jpg

I think he's a better cover guy then JJ. I guess we're gunna see this season as long as he stays healthy.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Tru will be our best cover corner this year he's primed to break out and I believe he will.