Rams expected to move Shane Waldron to QB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams expected to move Shane Waldron to QB coach
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/13/rams-expected-to-move-shane-waldron-to-qb-coach/
by Josh Alper on February 13, 2019

GettyImages-89742447-e1546602495211.jpg

The Rams are bringing Wes Phillips onto the coaching staff as their tight ends coach and that will mean a change in responsibilities for Shane Waldron.

Waldron worked with the team’s tight ends in addition to taking on the role as passing game coordinator in 2018, but will switch to a different position group in 2019. Albert Breer of SI.com reports that Waldron is set to take over as the quarterbacks coach while continuing to hold the coordinator title.

Zac Taylor was the quarterbacks coach in 2018, but he left the Rams to become the Bengals head coach after Super Bowl LIII.

Given Waldron’s continued role as the passing game coordinator, the move to working directly with the team’s quarterbacks makes sense. The team is also expected to hire an assistant quarterbacks coach and Breer adds that senior offensive assistant Jedd Fisch’s title will change to assistant coordinator/offense for the 2019 season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amid offseason coaching moves, Rams hope to keep Jared Goff comfortable
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/...ves-rams-hope-to-keep-jared-goff-comfortable/

Rams_Shane_Waldron-1.jpg

The loss of assistant coaches to bigger roles is a byproduct of NFL success, and as the Rams reconfigure their staff during this offseason, their goal is to minimize angst for quarterback Jared Goff.

Wes Phillips, son of Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, will join the staff as tight ends coach. That means Shane Waldron will work exclusively on the Rams’ pass game. Last season, Waldron worked double duty as the team’s tight ends coach and pass-game coordinator. It’s likely that Waldron now will take over as the Rams’ quarterbacks coach and replace Zac Taylor, who was hired this month as the new head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, but a team source indicated McVay’s offseason hiring and determination of duties might not be finished.

Jedd Fisch, the former UCLA offensive coordinator who worked under McVay last season as a “senior offensive assistant,” could fill a more defined role and assist McVay with game-planning. According to one published report Wednesday, Fisch will take on the title of “assistant coordinator/offense.” Those moves would allow Goff to continue working with coaches with whom he is familiar.

McVay is the Rams’ play-caller and, for all practical purposes, the main quarterbacks coach, but the Rams have worked, since McVay’s hiring in Jan. 2017, to surround Goff with a team of Coaches. Some of them haven’t stayed long. After the 2017 season, Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur left for the same role in Tennessee, and quarterbacks coach Greg Olson left to be Oakland’s offensive coordinator. Waldron also interviewed for the Cincinnati head job but apparently will stay with the Rams.

At this point, the only new name among the ranks of assistant coaches is a familiar one. Wes Phillips most recently worked as Washington’s tight ends coach, but his contract expired after last season.Wes Phillips and McVay worked together in Washington (2014-16), and that relationship led McVay to hire Wade Phillips in 2017. Wes Phillips is a former college quarterback who also coached in Dallas (2007-13). During that time, he spent parts of four seasons coaching under his father, then Dallas’ head coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McVay has done a nice job of bringing in bright offensive minds like Taylor, who replaced Greg Olson and now Wes Phillips and giving Waldon the opportunity to work with Quarterbacks and they still have Jedd Fisch "Senior Offensive Assistant." and Liam Cohen "Assistant WR Coach." that has backgrounds of being QB Coaches along with Wes Phillips, who had that title when he coached at the collegiate level.

My hope is they don't lose CB Coach Aubrey Pleasant to the Cincinnati Bengals as Florida DC Todd Grantham is the latest to spurn the Tiger Cats and I'm hoping that former Falcon DC Marquand Manuel gets the gig, but to this point, Taylor might not have a choice as everyone including Del Rio, Dom Capers & now Grantham has said no.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has done a nice job of bringing in bright offensive minds like Taylor, who replaced Greg Olson and now Wes Phillips and giving Waldon the opportunity to work with Quarterbacks and they still have Jedd Fisch "Senior Offensive Assistant." and Liam Cohen "Assistant WR Coach." that has backgrounds of being QB Coaches along with Wes Phillips, who had that title when he coached at the collegiate level.

My hope is they don't lose CB Coach Aubrey Pleasant to the Cincinnati Bengals as Florida DC Todd Grantham is the latest to spurn the Tiger Cats and I'm hoping that former Falcon DC Marquand Manuel gets the gig, but to this point, Taylor might not have a choice as everyone including Del Rio, Dom Capers & now Grantham has said no.
Was thinking this earlier as well. We just have to hope that McVay can keep bringing in talented position coaches because we might see a lot of movement in our coaches yearly.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Young talented coaches should certainly want to come here - not just to learn from McV but because this place is the new head coach U.

nighttrain

Legend
Was thinking this earlier as well. We just have to hope that McVay can keep bringing in talented position coaches because we might see a lot of movement in our coaches yearly.
in the quest to hire the next McVay, others teams might find hiring our asst coaches may not be an exact science. I have to say,I want to see what Lafluer and Co. accomplish next season, I have a hunch there is gonna be some disappointed GM's in the NFL, only one McVay and the Rams got him..
train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

McVay must be horrible to work for. He's been here two years, and a bunch of coaches have quit to work elsewhere.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
in the quest to hire the next McVay, others teams might find hiring our asst coaches may not be an exact science. I have to say,I want to see what Lafluer and Co. accomplish next season, I have a hunch there is gonna be some disappointed GM's in the NFL, only one McVay and the Rams got him..
train
agreed, there's no science to prove that hiring an assistant coach from a successful HC has any barring that they will be successful in the NFL as an HC. It doesn't stop teams from trying tho. Look at the Patriots, every assistant that's come out of NE has underwhelmed as HC's and end up getting fired. I think the same will happen with McVays crew. Now we just have to wait and see.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
train

I honestly think LeFleur is going to be successful his first year. Better than Shanny. LaFleur and McVay were tight compadres. I say he gets GB to become decent contenders.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I honestly think LeFleur is going to be successful his first year. Better than Shanny. LaFleur and McVay were tight compadres. I say he gets GB to become decent contenders.

Not a stretch with Rodgers and some luck as Green Bay has not had much of late, however, LaFleur's first year as OC did not go well statistically with Tennessee, but Green Bay could bounce back because he's not Mike McCarthy.

Ram65

Legend
McVay has to keep rotating in new young talent. It is great that these coaches get to move around when someone leaves. It gives familiarity for players and some different responsibilities with the offense.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like this as McVay continues to empower his assistants and Fisch with added responsibilities could most likely lead to an opportunity at the collegiate ranks. This also sets up after winning the Super Bowl next year that Shane Waldron will be a Head Coach, that either Fisch or Wes Phillips will be given more opportunities moving forward. Also keeping the cupboard stocked with great offensive minds.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
McVay’s ability to quickly hire outstanding asst coaches has been most impressive.

It is possibly his greatest skill set.

His “coaching tree” has exploded after only 2 seasons.

I can’t remember anything quite like it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
In 5 years, I expect the majority of NFL teams to be under McVay's coaching tree at this rate.