Rams expected to get two third-round compensatory picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with @Merlin that Fowler gets overpaid. I'd prefer to keep him in horns, but it's not likely.

Getting a third round comp pick isn't bad for letting Watkins leave. I'd rather Snead had just kept the second rounder and not traded for him. But that's hindsight.

I wouldn't. Watkins was needed for goff's development and getting the offense to hit the ground running. Can't complain about going from last in offense to first in offense. Plus he was dirt cheap.

It was a great move and all it cost them was dropping from a late second to a late third round pick.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe Fowler goes on a tear in the play-offs?
He has the natural tools.

If Greg Robinson can play well at LT for Cleveland and settle their line, Fowler can breakout in the play-offs.

Ants

Starter
I agree fully.

Snead has drafted five ER'ers in 2 drafts that do not fit what Wade needs. Rams drafted 2 in 2017 draft & 3 in this yrs draft & none have improved to any point where I see an average starter @ ER post. :palm:

Ah, I see we have another fan who demands instant success from very young players. :redcard:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I want to see what Obo can do when he finally gets a chance to play. This pick was made knowing that he probably would not play in 2018.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

If Greg Robinson can play well at LT for Cleveland and settle their line, Fowler can breakout in the play-offs.

The defense has some extremely talented players. For whatever reason that talent hasn't materialized for the most part. But we can hope that talent will rise to the occasion now that these games have much more meaning. The cream rising to the top and all that. Don't know if that will happen but I'm crossing my fingers.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The defense has some extremely talented players. For whatever reason that talent hasn't materialized for the most part. But we can hope that talent will rise to the occasion now that these games have much more meaning. The cream rising to the top and all that. Don't know if that will happen but I'm crossing my fingers.

Me too. And my toes.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The rich get richer.

4SB8g.gif

I gave you a "thread winner" for the Bender pic.

Stump23

Rookie
A couple of thoughts on Fowler. yes, the upside has been huge since he was drafted but he has been great at crucial times since we have brought him on. I think the bigger dilemma is can we replace him in the draft with a better player. Obviously it's a dollars and cents decision but young, veteran experienced players are tough to come by and I think being here is raising his motivation to be part of a winning organization. We won't have to invest huge $$ in a safety, that market has been established as Joyner will soon learn. Maybe utilize the freed up cash from Joyner to reinvest in Fowler? Again, just a thought. We still don't know what we have in Obo.....maybe he's part of the answer moving forward.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It’s funny how Browns fans say he doesn’t play well for them but some Rams fans think he plays well there.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It’s funny how Browns fans say he doesn’t play well for them but some Rams fans think he plays well there.

Its funny because Robinson is starting at LT during the exact same time they are winning games?

He is starting at LT and theur line improved enough for Baker to shine. Anybody who thinks thats not a big jump in performance for him is nit picking.
He was one of the worst busts ive ever seen.
My point wasnt that Robinson is playing good - but that high pick busts can sometimes find a niche.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah, I see we have another fan who demands instant success from very young players. :redcard:
Glad you made these comment & here's my thoughts ....In today's NFL, I found that drafted young players who play different positions do have different expectations when drafted & these players should begin to contribute to the Ram team.

However, there are always surprises too.... right? Some rookies come in the NFL with 3 or 4 full NCAA seasons worth of experience others have very few starts of experience. Some mature faster & some are slower to arrive where they need to be mentally or physically.

From my long history as a NFL fan (over half a century) even a low watt brain like mine believes young players who play certain positions like QB/ OC/ OG/ OT/ NT/, DT & MLB'ers will normally take a bit longer to produce on a constant basis than players who play positions like RB/ WR/ OLB/ ER's/ CB/ Safeties/ Kickers/ Punters.

In the above discussions, I believe we were commenting on just the Rams ER/OLB position, not in general terms on all positions. That's a position where I think we as fans can normally expect some production early in their careers.

Question???....What is your definition of the word instant that YOU used in this situation dealing with NFL players?

Do you think I am being too harsh & wrong to expect too much @ this point from OLB'er like Ebukam who has experienced 2 OTA's, 2 training Camps & 2 pre seasons plus played in 32 & started 16 NFL games?

In discussing 2 of the 3 rookies OLB'ers who have been participating with the team since early OTA's Training Camp, preseason & now 17 weeks of the 2018 season is way too early to determine & make appraisals on the potential of them if they have enough skill to produce as a starter?

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I want to see what Obo can do when he finally gets a chance to play. This pick was made knowing that he probably would not play in 2018.

He got hurt after he was drafted. He was going to get a chance to compete for playing time. Would have been nice to see what he could do off the edge.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I thought there was injury concerns with him coming into the draft, otherwise he would have went a lot sooner.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Von Miller would be a fine addition at the LB core for the soon to be Super Bowl Champion Rams. Donald, Miller, Littleton, Johnson, Talib and a rebounding Peters (who will be playing for a big contract) would be a great start to rebuilding the D next season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You just know some idiot team is going to throw money at Fowler. And it'll be hard for the Rams to sign on for a big contract for him when he's only had a couple sacks in 8 games. I don't think the cost is going to line up with expected production. He'll be a Sammy Watkins type situation where someone pays him based on potential and we cannot afford to roll that particular set of dice.

Rams' defense this offseason should look something like...

ROLB: <need>
3T: Donald
NT: <need>
5T: Brock (think they have him put on some weight)
LOLB: Ebukam / Okowrongkwo
ILB: Littleton
ILB: <need>
S: Johnson
S: <need>
CB: Talib
CB: Peters

Green means good, Red means need, Orange means iffy or might be a need or will after next season. This isn't even considering depth. Roster obviously needs enormous work.

Going to start looking at FA lists once the playoffs are over. Can't get too much into this stuff just yet when we still have a shot to win it all. (y)
Rams are not in good position at ER now Bonifay. I see ER as a complete failure this season and I don't think keeping those guys really help us. We need to decide if the future defense is going to be a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. When we do that we need to draft players that fit that system. Is sad to see that with all the attention AD gets nobody else can do anything consistently. It wouldn't be as bad if said players at least played the run well but they suck at that. The defense has been a huge disappointment which makes what AD did this season so amazing. I'm hoping we resign Fowler cheap and Obo/ Young/Sampson can turn it around next season.

I think your totally wrong on The Rams situation. This season is not over so you don’t even know who might step up ?

The draft & FA’ will a reload moving forward. The Rams have a few players that are still ascending. Calling players a bust even before there first season is over makes me scratch my head. —Cheers to all the disappointment ?