Rams expect to take what defense is willing to give

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Rams expect to take what defense is willing to give them each week

Brian Feldman
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-expect-to-take-what-defense-is-willing-to-give-them-each-week-223366441.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-expect- ... 66441.html</a>

SLP2013090838.jpg

(FootballStL) -- Last week it was Jared Cook with the big game. Seven catches for 141 yards and two touchdowns. Next week it could be someone else. The next it could even be someone different who blows up on the field.

The NFL only allows you to play with 11 guys at a time and the math doesn’t work very well when trying to make 11 guys double cover all the skill players on offense.

So because it was the new tight end who happened to be targeted a team high 10 times against Arizona that means it’s likely Atlanta will have something special cooked up - no pun intended - to ensure he doesn’t torch them like he did the Cardinals.

Does that worry the Rams and quarterback Sam Bradford? Not in the slightest.

“Teams are going to look at who they want to try and stop and who they’re going to game plan for,” Bradford said. “You can only double (team) so many people. If they want to double (Jared) Cook this week that’s going to leave a lot of singles out there for Chris (Givens), Tavon (Austin), (Austin Pettis) so I think you’re going to see the ball spread around quite a bit this year.”

Givens said after the game this past Sunday that the Cardinals were working very hard to make sure he did not burn them over the top with his speed. He believes that played a part in opening things up for Cook and Tavon Austin underneath.

Translation: If the Falcons spend a little more time worried about Cook and Austin underneath, that in essence could open things back up for Givens over the top.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This is a luxury the Rams haven't had in quite some time on offense.
SJ saw eight men in the box regularly,and if Jackson didn't get the ball then Sam saw those same eight men in his face while trying to get it to Amendola on 3rd and a mile.
Futile.

Now we have the deep threat(Givens) and the underneath threats(Cook and Austin). Add to that DRich has the ability to get around the edge with his speed or get positive yardage between the tackles. We still need a bigger back to emerge to take the carries while playing with a lead in the 4th quarter,but thats why Stacy was drafted. We'll see how he gets used.

I like that defenses will have to actually pick their poison in gameplanning us now.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'd rather have Pead doing the running. DR wiffed on another block and I'd rather have Pead in there protecting Sam.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
albefree69 said:
I'd rather have Pead doing the running. DR wiffed on another block and I'd rather have Pead in there protecting Sam.

I agree, I prefer to give Pead a shot. I especially don't want a hobbled Richardson in there protecting Bradford