Rams embracing analytics big time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's a very interesting read. I think that it's a good idea to get ahead of the competition - legally, that is - and this seems like a good idea. Hopefully these nerds can help us dominate the competition. :D

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
When they can measure "tenacity", "football instinct" or "plays with pain", then they'll really be on to something.

Some things that make good football players can't be measured.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm always weary of analytics & stats...

Its used in a lot of rugby matches now and I've seen some pretty daft coaching decisions because "the analytics were saying..."

hmmmm not sure...

jap

Legend
Hhmmm, I wonder If I should go work for the Horns in an analytics capacity . . .

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
One thing I hope they do is an analysis of their failures in draft choices and see if they can zero in on any overrated metrics that may have caused someone to be over drafted.

Many of the Rams failed draft prospects had the physical talent and base measurables but failed from the mental side. Robinson, Quick, and Pead especially come to mind as upside athletes that did not pan out. Both Robinson and Quick were above average athletes for their positions with incomplete/underdeveloped skills. I think part of the blame was on Fisher and his staff for their failure but it was also on them too that they never seemed to grasp the mental side of the game. (Pead was just a head case IMO). Not sure how analytics could predict their failure from a mental side but perhaps it would could have factored in the holes in their skillsets and devalued them to where they would not have been wasted high round picks.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
When they can measure "tenacity", "football instinct" or "plays with pain", then they'll really be on to something.

Some things that make good football players can't be measured.
That's why it's just a club in the bag.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
When I think of Analytics and todays Rams, I only want to know if they are going to Buy into, and work well in these areas ...

Wooden-Pyramid-of-Success.jpg

This is identical to the Chart McVay uses!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
An interesting interview for us old-timers in which Frank Ryan talks about Vince Lombardi, Jim Brown and Paul Warfield.
*************************************************************************************

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8PlflBYtaE

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/30/...ampionship-frank-ryan-math-phd-vince-lombardi

Talking Football with the Browns’ Last QB to Win a Championship
Cleveland is embracing analytics as a core tenet of its rebuilding plan, but 50 years ago, the quarterback from the Browns’ last NFL championship team had the same idea about trusting the numbers
by Kalyn Kahler

frankryan_sicover.jpg

Dr. Frank Ryan graced the cover of the Sept. 27, 1965 cover of Sports Illustrated
Photo: Neil Leifer/Sports Illustrated

This week, we’re spotlighting the mental side of the game in our Smarter Football series. The subject for this week’s Talking Football sits in the sweet spot of that Venn diagram. Meet Frank Ryan, a 1960s era NFL quarterback who earned his doctorate in mathematics a year after he led the Browns to their most recent NFL Championship (1964).

In an age where the majority of players worked offseason jobs, Ryan spent his time working toward his math degree. But he didn’t keep his two worlds entirely separate. Ryan viewed the game with an analytic eye, and tried to get his coaches and teammates to do the same.

From his home in Vermont, Ryan, now 80 years old, spoke to The MMQB about his passion for mathematics, his use of advanced statistics that was way ahead of his time, and his memories of his playing career.

KAHLER: Why did you decide to pursue a degree in math while you were playing in the NFL?

RYAN: I got my Ph.D. in my seventh year. It was 1965. We had lost to Green Bay in the NFL Championship Game. Earning my Ph.D. was a way to spend time that is very interesting to me. I had a teaching appointment at Rice, my alma mater, during the offseason.

The rest of my teammates worked jobs in the offseason—I can’t imagine any of them being as stupid as me and going back to school. It wasn’t their style. But it was really my style because I had encountered these invisible problems in mathematics that I wanted to be part of.

KAHLER: Working another job in the offseason was standard practice for guys in your era . . .

RYAN: There was no money back then. I can laugh about it. I think anybody who is interested in education and has specialized some of their thinking about these things would welcome having an opportunity to do it during the offseason. It’s very good for the psyche of the person, and occasionally you get lucky and solve some problem that is interesting and helps other people.

KAHLER: Did any of your students at Rice recognize you for being an NFL player?

RYAN:That never happened. I’m sure somebody must have known, but I never mentioned it and nobody ever said anything. Those were the good old days when nobody cared much about professional football.

KAHLER: Have you heard of John Urschel, the Ravens offensive lineman who is getting his Ph.D. right now from MIT?

RYAN: How wonderful, I didn’t know that. I didn’t know he was in mathematics, but more power to him.

KAHLER: As a quarterback, did you ever think about math on the field? The angle of the routes? Force of a hit?

RYAN: Unless we were well ahead in the game, I wouldn’t have brought mathematics into play while I was on the field. Even then I just didn’t really do it. I was dedicated to football and I enjoyed it immensely, and the fact that I was somewhat successful is very pleasing and makes me feel good even today.

frankryan_portrait.jpg

KAHLER: In a 1965 article in Sports Illustrated, you were quoted as saying, “It's absolutely false to pursue any sort of notion that football and mathematics are related.” Do you still believe that?

RYAN:
Did I say that? I think it’s true. They are just two different aspects of life. Of course, there is some numeric numbering of the conditions in football, like you’ve got to go 10 yards to make a first down, so there is always a little number theory there, but it is not intended to be anything but simplicity in football. Mathematics in football is simplistic.

KAHLER: While you played in the NFL, you often kept several games of chess going by mail with people around the country. Did your opponents know you were an NFL player?

RYAN: I don’t think so. I never exploited that stuff. Chess by mail really slows you down. I haven’t played chess for quite a long while, but with the computers that we have nowadays, you can have a very quick activity in a computerized game. But I think that game is a wonderful game and I’ve never really tried to become a champion or anything like that. You have to decide what you want to spend time doing.

KAHLER: Toward the end of your football career, you started learning computer programming, and applied what you knew to football. What kind of statistics were you compiling and how were they different from what was around at the time?

RYAN: I think it had a lot to do with the way the opposing team lined up. I was interested in the positions and locations of players on the other side, and which plays would have more success based on the information about where the defense lined up.

I did that stuff for a while. I wonder if I have some books about that around here still? I didn’t really dwell on it or depend on it. But in the process of doing it, I automatically picked up on a few tips.

KAHLER: Did you ever share your findings with your teammates? Hey, if the defense is showing Cover 2…

RYAN: Occasionally I would do something like that and then have statistics that I had to work up that constituted a way of thinking about something special. Yes, I would tell them. It didn’t happen regularly, but in between other things.

KAHLER: In 1969, you signed with Washington and head coach Vince Lombardi, who embraced your research. How did Lombardi support your advanced statistics?

RYAN: Lombardi hired an occasional person to help me while I was off playing football. I would get back that night and have the stuff all set up. I think Lombardi paid me a little extra money but not much. He did buy some equipment, several computers. He was just about the best head coach that ever existed and he was very aware that the more detail you had—if you could measure something that happened over and over again—that was an advantage for him to know about.

He was terribly nice to me. I had gotten hurt in ’66, and so ’68 comes along and that was my last year with Cleveland. I couldn’t play very well at all and they tried to trade me and nobody would take me until I got a call from Coach Lombardi. He gave me a really big salary and I was second-string, I wasn’t even the first-string.

He believed in the same sorts of things that I believed in. I was only there for two years, my 12th and 13th years playing professional football. Lombardi died in the offseason between my two years there. I was terribly sad about that and I just decided I’m not going to stay in this thing anymore.

KAHLER: So Lombardi got a two-for-one deal with you, since you could run a two-man analytics department and play quarterback...

RYAN: I think he liked that. He was interested in the computer. He did pay some money to fund it for it to be done properly.

muddy_browns_packers.jpg

Ryan blames the muddy field in Green Bay for Cleveland's loss in the 1965 NFL Championship game

KAHLER: Was Washington a more welcoming environment for advanced statistics than Cleveland had been?

RYAN: Absolutely. That was sort of a new way of looking at football data and coaches had for a long time, had sort of kept up with the data by pencil and paper. This was a big step in the direction of knowing better how football is played. I thought Lombardi was one of the great ones. The Packers had beaten us [the Browns] in 1965 in the overall championship game for that year.

I always blamed him for being smarter than we were. When we went up for that game, it was late December, and there was snow the night before. They had a process that left the snow on the field until just before the game started, so they got the field cleared of the snow, yet it was mucky. I think I completed my first three passes in that game, the third one going for a touchdown, but after that I threw the ball behind me more than I threw it in front of me.

The ball would slip out of my hands and the place became a quagmire. I think we would have won if we had a normal field to play on. It really was bothersome and disappointing, but that’s the way life is, isn’t it? I can still laugh about it.

KAHLER: What is it like to know you are still the most recent championship quarterback in Cleveland?

RYAN:
Isn’t that awful? That was 53 years ago. I sometimes have put myself in the position, if I were there and I could make the decisions, what would I do? That happened more right after I was done, I don’t think about them now. I think it is very disappointing.

There are so many nice things about Cleveland. You don’t expect to win every year, but maybe every 10 years. Or maybe every 50! I think it has a lot to do with the attitude of coaches as well as players. If you have the wrong attitude, things get really bad.

jim_gene_frank.jpg

Jim Brown, Gene Hickerson and Frank Ryan on the sidelines during a 1964 game at Yankee Stadium

KAHLER: You had some great players around you on offense the year the Browns won the 1964 NFL Championship. Jim Brown at fullback, Paul Warfield at receiver…

RYAN: Jim Brown, ah, he was the all-time running back. He wanted to throw the ball, but he couldn’t throw very well. He kept trying to get me to run a play that would set him up from the right side or the left side, and then he would throw the ball.

He actually did that pretty well and got [three] touchdown passes over his career. He was such a good athlete that you would expect him to be successful throwing a football, but his throws weren’t what I would call NFL-quality.

Paul was very fast and very smooth, he looked beautiful running here, there and yonder, making sharp cuts and stops—and he got his share of passes that’s for sure. His counterpart, who was five or six years older than him, was Gary Collins. Gary was the right side, Paul was the left side.

But they both caught a lot of touchdown passes and I think I had a fairly unique situation because with Jim Brown being the running back that he was, I didn’t have to throw that many passes—yet I did throw a lot of touchdown passes.

I think that had a lot to do with the concept of football we had then, we took advantage of the defense having to take care of Jim Brown as their No. 1 thing in the game and while they were taking care of him, I threw the ball down the field. Those were the good old days.

KAHLER: You’ve received a possible Alzheimer’s diagnosis from your doctor. Does that impact your ability to do math?

RYAN: So far it hasn’t gotten in the way of my mathematics. I have a terrible memory now, that is one of my irritations. What happens is, I will try to say a word, and all of a sudden I forget what the word is. And then out of the blue it works in your brain again and that word comes back.

I have a wonderful book written by doctors who are interested in mental conditions and how they work and why they work. But it has one fault. It can’t explain why this stuff happens. I am interested in that, because sometimes I think there could be something mathematic to do that would help my mental condition.

KAHLER: Because of your age (80), it might be difficult to determine if playing football had an impact in your possible Alzheimer’s diagnosis. But do you think it may have played a role?

RYAN: Oh absolutely. I got knocked out a number of times, I mean literally knocked out. It was the great delight of everyone on the defensive team to knock the heck out of the quarterback. My body is pretty well beat up too, I had seven or eight operations during my football years. But I feel really good. I am happy, I am able to be alert and do math.

KAHLER: Do you follow the NFL today?

RYAN: No, I moved on. I had several seats out at the stadium out in D.C. but after awhile I got really sort of bored with the games. I don’t watch television football. There’s too much else to do in the world.

KAHLER: Too many math problems to solve!

RYAN: You’ve got a point.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-analytics-to-help-them-reach-the-super-bowl/

Eagles, Patriots both relied on analytics to help them reach the Super Bowl
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 1, 2018

Analytics got a bad name in the NFL this season when the Browns went 0-16 and fired Sashi Brown, the G.M. who promised to use an analytics-based approach to building the franchise. But two other NFL teams rely on analytics with much greater success.

Those two teams are the Eagles and Patriots, who both use analytics as a tool in free agency, on draft day, during games and in just about every part of their organization.

The Eagles have been open about their reliance on analytics. As we’ve noted previously, no coach in the NFL is more aggressive about going for it on fourth down than Doug Pederson, and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said during the season that that aggressiveness is tied to the team’s analytics research, which found that the benefits of a fourth-down conversion usually outweigh the costs of failing on fourth down.

The Wall Street Journal quotes Eagles G.M. Howie Roseman as praising Philadelphia’s analytics department, saying, “They give us a clear direction of what they’re looking for and what they want.”

But while the Wall Street Journal article makes clear that the Eagles rely heavily on analytics, it steps wrong by trying to contrast the Eagles with the Patriots, writing that the reputation of analytics in football has suffered because “the best coach in football — the one across the field from Pederson, Bill Belichick — has expressed his disdain for a numbers-heavy approach.”

The reality is that Belichick “has expressed his disdain” for analytics not because Belichick doesn’t believe in analytics, but because Belichick doesn’t believe in letting the rest of the world in on the Patriots’ strategic thinking.

As PFT has noted multiple times, Belichick actually does rely on analytics. One of his most trusted advisors is Ernie Adams, the Patriots’ football research director, who was a municipal bonds trader before spending more than two decades working for Belichick, both in Cleveland and in New England. Many of the methods that sports statistical analysts use are rooted in the same methods used to analyze economic data. Adams understands both, and that makes him valuable to Belichick.

In the NFL draft, Belichick prefers trading down to trading up, and he particularly likes to trade a pick this year for a higher pick next year. That suggests that he’s studied the economic phenomenon of hyperbolic discounting, something football people don’t necessarily know a lot about but that a hedge fund guy like Adams understands.

On the sideline, the most controversial call of Belichick’s career appeared to be influenced by analytics: When Belichick went for it on fourth-and-2 from his own 28-yard line late in a 2009 loss to the Colts, it was the analytics people who said he had made the mathematically correct decision, while most football fans and media members thought Belichick had lost his mind.

Belichick also hired a little-known coach named Matt Patricia in 2004, in part because he liked Patricia’s background as an aeronautical engineering major. Belichick has groomed Patricia to the point where he’s now the Patriots’ defensive coordinator and the Lions’ next head coach, and Belichick likes the fact that Patricia has a mind that can understand high-level statistical analysis.

Yes, Belichick has been known to toss around the line, “stats are for losers.” But that’s a reflection more of the disdain Belichick has for members of the media who use stats to evaluate which players are playing well and which players are playing poorly. Belichick isn’t interested in such stats because his own staff’s film evaluations are far more accurate.

Belichick absolutely is interested in advanced stats, and that interest goes to the very top of the Patriots’ organization. The Patriots’ website once ran a story that said, “You may not find a bigger believer in data and analytics than New England Patriots Owners Robert Kraft.” And Kraft isn’t just talking when he says he believes in analytics: Kraft puts his money behind it with Kraft Analytics Group, a company he owns.

Is Kraft, Belichick, Adams or anyone else on the Patriots making the rounds on Radio Row during Super Bowl week, telling all the world about the analytics insights the team relies on? Of course not. That’s not the Patriot Way. But like the Eagles, the Patriots rely on analytics.

So while it’s easy to scoff at analytics as the approach that got the Browns to 0-16, an honest assessment of analytics would acknowledge that some teams use them successfully. Including both teams in the Super Bowl.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
And The number one analytical stat for the patriots is.......

Cheating increases likelyhood of winning by 480%

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Pats only team to put “analytics” in quotation marks.

A lot of effort spent cataloguing opposing signals, analyzing practice tapes, decoding stolen playbooks, and calculating bribes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, quite frankly analytics or Quantifiable Data is utilized throughout the business world today, measuring such things as Development of products, training, projections and hiring practices as well, however, you still have to make decisions on which person is the best person to run a branch, division, department, etc., while also factoring in location.

In the end @flv is correct, it comes down to BPA , they can factor in scheme, however, if you recall the drafting of Cooper Kupp, they just came away overly impressed with his interview and not his 40 time and in business you still have to find the right combinations to get the best out of your people, but using all the tools necessary to come to the right decision.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
An interesting interview for us old-timers in which Frank Ryan talks about Vince Lombardi, Jim Brown and Paul Warfield.
*************************************************************************************

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8PlflBYtaE

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/30/...ampionship-frank-ryan-math-phd-vince-lombardi

Talking Football with the Browns’ Last QB to Win a Championship
Cleveland is embracing analytics as a core tenet of its rebuilding plan, but 50 years ago, the quarterback from the Browns’ last NFL championship team had the same idea about trusting the numbers
by Kalyn Kahler

frankryan_sicover.jpg

Dr. Frank Ryan graced the cover of the Sept. 27, 1965 cover of Sports Illustrated

This week, we’re spotlighting the mental side of the game in our Smarter Football series. The subject for this week’s Talking Football sits in the sweet spot of that Venn diagram. Meet Frank Ryan, a 1960s era NFL quarterback who earned his doctorate in mathematics a year after he led the Browns to their most recent NFL Championship (1964).

In an age where the majority of players worked offseason jobs, Ryan spent his time working toward his math degree. But he didn’t keep his two worlds entirely separate. Ryan viewed the game with an analytic eye, and tried to get his coaches and teammates to do the same.

From his home in Vermont, Ryan, now 80 years old, spoke to The MMQB about his passion for mathematics, his use of advanced statistics that was way ahead of his time, and his memories of his playing career.

KAHLER: Why did you decide to pursue a degree in math while you were playing in the NFL?

RYAN: I got my Ph.D. in my seventh year. It was 1965. We had lost to Green Bay in the NFL Championship Game. Earning my Ph.D. was a way to spend time that is very interesting to me. I had a teaching appointment at Rice, my alma mater, during the offseason.

The rest of my teammates worked jobs in the offseason—I can’t imagine any of them being as stupid as me and going back to school. It wasn’t their style. But it was really my style because I had encountered these invisible problems in mathematics that I wanted to be part of.

KAHLER: Working another job in the offseason was standard practice for guys in your era . . .

RYAN: There was no money back then. I can laugh about it. I think anybody who is interested in education and has specialized some of their thinking about these things would welcome having an opportunity to do it during the offseason. It’s very good for the psyche of the person, and occasionally you get lucky and solve some problem that is interesting and helps other people.

KAHLER: Did any of your students at Rice recognize you for being an NFL player?

RYAN:That never happened. I’m sure somebody must have known, but I never mentioned it and nobody ever said anything. Those were the good old days when nobody cared much about professional football.

KAHLER: Have you heard of John Urschel, the Ravens offensive lineman who is getting his Ph.D. right now from MIT?

RYAN: How wonderful, I didn’t know that. I didn’t know he was in mathematics, but more power to him.

KAHLER: As a quarterback, did you ever think about math on the field? The angle of the routes? Force of a hit?

RYAN: Unless we were well ahead in the game, I wouldn’t have brought mathematics into play while I was on the field. Even then I just didn’t really do it. I was dedicated to football and I enjoyed it immensely, and the fact that I was somewhat successful is very pleasing and makes me feel good even today.

frankryan_portrait.jpg

KAHLER: In a 1965 article in Sports Illustrated, you were quoted as saying, “It's absolutely false to pursue any sort of notion that football and mathematics are related.” Do you still believe that?

RYAN:
Did I say that? I think it’s true. They are just two different aspects of life. Of course, there is some numeric numbering of the conditions in football, like you’ve got to go 10 yards to make a first down, so there is always a little number theory there, but it is not intended to be anything but simplicity in football. Mathematics in football is simplistic.

KAHLER: While you played in the NFL, you often kept several games of chess going by mail with people around the country. Did your opponents know you were an NFL player?

RYAN: I don’t think so. I never exploited that stuff. Chess by mail really slows you down. I haven’t played chess for quite a long while, but with the computers that we have nowadays, you can have a very quick activity in a computerized game. But I think that game is a wonderful game and I’ve never really tried to become a champion or anything like that. You have to decide what you want to spend time doing.

KAHLER: Toward the end of your football career, you started learning computer programming, and applied what you knew to football. What kind of statistics were you compiling and how were they different from what was around at the time?

RYAN: I think it had a lot to do with the way the opposing team lined up. I was interested in the positions and locations of players on the other side, and which plays would have more success based on the information about where the defense lined up.

I did that stuff for a while. I wonder if I have some books about that around here still? I didn’t really dwell on it or depend on it. But in the process of doing it, I automatically picked up on a few tips.

KAHLER: Did you ever share your findings with your teammates? Hey, if the defense is showing Cover 2…

RYAN: Occasionally I would do something like that and then have statistics that I had to work up that constituted a way of thinking about something special. Yes, I would tell them. It didn’t happen regularly, but in between other things.

KAHLER: In 1969, you signed with Washington and head coach Vince Lombardi, who embraced your research. How did Lombardi support your advanced statistics?

RYAN: Lombardi hired an occasional person to help me while I was off playing football. I would get back that night and have the stuff all set up. I think Lombardi paid me a little extra money but not much. He did buy some equipment, several computers. He was just about the best head coach that ever existed and he was very aware that the more detail you had—if you could measure something that happened over and over again—that was an advantage for him to know about.

He was terribly nice to me. I had gotten hurt in ’66, and so ’68 comes along and that was my last year with Cleveland. I couldn’t play very well at all and they tried to trade me and nobody would take me until I got a call from Coach Lombardi. He gave me a really big salary and I was second-string, I wasn’t even the first-string.

He believed in the same sorts of things that I believed in. I was only there for two years, my 12th and 13th years playing professional football. Lombardi died in the offseason between my two years there. I was terribly sad about that and I just decided I’m not going to stay in this thing anymore.

KAHLER: So Lombardi got a two-for-one deal with you, since you could run a two-man analytics department and play quarterback...

RYAN: I think he liked that. He was interested in the computer. He did pay some money to fund it for it to be done properly.

muddy_browns_packers.jpg

Ryan blames the muddy field in Green Bay for Cleveland's loss in the 1965 NFL Championship game

KAHLER: Was Washington a more welcoming environment for advanced statistics than Cleveland had been?

RYAN: Absolutely. That was sort of a new way of looking at football data and coaches had for a long time, had sort of kept up with the data by pencil and paper. This was a big step in the direction of knowing better how football is played. I thought Lombardi was one of the great ones. The Packers had beaten us [the Browns] in 1965 in the overall championship game for that year.

I always blamed him for being smarter than we were. When we went up for that game, it was late December, and there was snow the night before. They had a process that left the snow on the field until just before the game started, so they got the field cleared of the snow, yet it was mucky. I think I completed my first three passes in that game, the third one going for a touchdown, but after that I threw the ball behind me more than I threw it in front of me.

The ball would slip out of my hands and the place became a quagmire. I think we would have won if we had a normal field to play on. It really was bothersome and disappointing, but that’s the way life is, isn’t it? I can still laugh about it.

KAHLER: What is it like to know you are still the most recent championship quarterback in Cleveland?

RYAN: Isn’t that awful? That was 53 years ago. I sometimes have put myself in the position, if I were there and I could make the decisions, what would I do? That happened more right after I was done, I don’t think about them now. I think it is very disappointing.

There are so many nice things about Cleveland. You don’t expect to win every year, but maybe every 10 years. Or maybe every 50! I think it has a lot to do with the attitude of coaches as well as players. If you have the wrong attitude, things get really bad.

jim_gene_frank.jpg

Jim Brown, Gene Hickerson and Frank Ryan on the sidelines during a 1964 game at Yankee Stadium

KAHLER: You had some great players around you on offense the year the Browns won the 1964 NFL Championship. Jim Brown at fullback, Paul Warfield at receiver…

RYAN: Jim Brown, ah, he was the all-time running back. He wanted to throw the ball, but he couldn’t throw very well. He kept trying to get me to run a play that would set him up from the right side or the left side, and then he would throw the ball.

He actually did that pretty well and got [three] touchdown passes over his career. He was such a good athlete that you would expect him to be successful throwing a football, but his throws weren’t what I would call NFL-quality.

Paul was very fast and very smooth, he looked beautiful running here, there and yonder, making sharp cuts and stops—and he got his share of passes that’s for sure. His counterpart, who was five or six years older than him, was Gary Collins. Gary was the right side, Paul was the left side.

But they both caught a lot of touchdown passes and I think I had a fairly unique situation because with Jim Brown being the running back that he was, I didn’t have to throw that many passes—yet I did throw a lot of touchdown passes.

I think that had a lot to do with the concept of football we had then, we took advantage of the defense having to take care of Jim Brown as their No. 1 thing in the game and while they were taking care of him, I threw the ball down the field. Those were the good old days.

KAHLER: You’ve received a possible Alzheimer’s diagnosis from your doctor. Does that impact your ability to do math?

RYAN: So far it hasn’t gotten in the way of my mathematics. I have a terrible memory now, that is one of my irritations. What happens is, I will try to say a word, and all of a sudden I forget what the word is. And then out of the blue it works in your brain again and that word comes back.

I have a wonderful book written by doctors who are interested in mental conditions and how they work and why they work. But it has one fault. It can’t explain why this stuff happens. I am interested in that, because sometimes I think there could be something mathematic to do that would help my mental condition.

KAHLER: Because of your age (80), it might be difficult to determine if playing football had an impact in your possible Alzheimer’s diagnosis. But do you think it may have played a role?

RYAN: Oh absolutely. I got knocked out a number of times, I mean literally knocked out. It was the great delight of everyone on the defensive team to knock the heck out of the quarterback. My body is pretty well beat up too, I had seven or eight operations during my football years. But I feel really good. I am happy, I am able to be alert and do math.

KAHLER: Do you follow the NFL today?

RYAN: No, I moved on. I had several seats out at the stadium out in D.C. but after awhile I got really sort of bored with the games. I don’t watch television football. There’s too much else to do in the world.

KAHLER: Too many math problems to solve!

RYAN: You’ve got a point.

WOW! I just realized, I was Fighting in Viet Nam and missed this^ entire Season of Football!! So no memories to look back at!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it seems that the Rams are just dabbling in analytics and not expending much to make it a really useful club in the bag (yet).

I mean it's not like Stan went and bought an existing analytics company for the Rams like when he bought StatDNA for Arsenal. The article excerpt mentions 3 kids -- none of them seem to have the proven experience of an Andrew Friedman or the education of a Dr. Zaidi. I mean, I guess that it looks like the Rams are trying and all with the analytics, I just wish they'd try harder, however that may be defined.

That being said, if they could just find a really useful WAR analysis for football players, I think it would be gold.

It's a lot easier to develop a stat like WAR for baseball because It's a sport of individual matchups. It's quite difficult to do for football.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So was it the Nerd's Nest or Les Snead that was responsible for Greg Robinson ?
I'm gonna guess Snead went rogue on that one.