Rams embracing analytics big time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
To read about the other 31 teams click the link below.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/28/...-school-approach-draft-game-planning-charting

How All 32 NFL Teams Handle Analytics
Who is embracing the new wave of information (and how), and who is still leaning old school in the NFL
By Albert Breer

LOS ANGELES RAMS
The Rams are invested in analytics big time—five analytics staffers are on board and more are likely coming—and the presence of youthful new coach Sean McVay makes it certain that more growth is on its way.

GM Les Snead came up in Atlanta, so it isn’t difficult for him to buy into what young analysts like Rebecca Lally, Ryan Garlisch and Jake Temme are selling.

Chiefly, Snead and his staff use the numbers to create boundaries in their evaluations, and to try to find prospects where others might not be looking. As one staffer described it, “It’s a club in the bag that you’re going to use a lot.”
To read more about analytics in the NFL click the link below.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/27/...endencies-player-tracking-injuries-chip-kelly

Analytics and the NFL: Finding Strength in Numbers
How number crunching has worked its way into NFL decision making at all levels. And how, with some of football’s greatest minds, it has always been that way, even if they didn’t know it
By Albert Breer

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Must make you happy, yes?
I thought they meant...like embracing Cynthia Frelund...like this \/
CuV4IpXVUAED2dw.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Broken tackles was this year's analytics result in the draft. We'll see how that translates.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Broken tackles was this year's analytics result in the draft. We'll see how that translates.
Hmmmm.....Years ago, I remember Edgerin James running through the Bruins...and thinking, man they can't tackle that kid...he's gonna be a beast...Same thing with Todd Gurley....Because of the level of competition Everett & Kupp faced, I'm not sure if it will translate like some would expect. Sure do hope so...we need on of these weapons-picks to hit.

All these new analytics....the one that really is interesting....even tho it's baseball is spin-rate....I see a lot of pitchers with average stuff....getting guys out...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hmmmm.....Years ago, I remember Edgerin James running through the Bruins...and thinking, man they can't tackle that kid...he's gonna be a beast...Same thing with Todd Gurley....Because of the level of competition Everett & Kupp faced, I'm not sure if it will translate like some would expect. Sure do hope so...we need on of these weapons-picks to hit.

All these new analytics....the one that really is interesting....even tho it's baseball is spin-rate....I see a lot of pitchers with average stuff....getting guys out...

Yep spin rate = ball movement = strike outs. Assuming you can keep your walk rate down lol. My favorite pitcher stat is WHIP, plain and simple.

Good point with the lower levels of competition, but I'm not worried. Kupp showed so well in the Senior Bowl week that I really don't have any concerns. Everett we'll see, but he's going to receive some of the best coaching and overall awareness taught to him in the league with McVay as his head coach.

If you go back and watch that old vid on the Rams official site where they talk about the Nerd's Nest, they show the board. On that board under the "explosive" title is the stuff they were tasked to dig up. Things we don't necessarily look for like Yards In Air and whatnot. Kinda stuff you need vid people to measure and log manually on massive amounts of film.

I love it too btw. Explore every edge you can find in this game man.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My favorite pitcher stat is WHIP, plain and simple.
Yeah...I tell all the parents of pitchers (softball)...the most important stat isn't ERA now, it's WHIP...easy to explain...and straight to the point.

I love it too btw. Explore every edge you can find in this game man.
Who wouldn't....some guys hate all stats....I feel they are relied on a little too much...but with the eyeball test, stats can back up what you see, and what works...and maybe, just maybe...why.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
What ever works ! They have to try something, we all want a winning successful team.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm glad it's just a club in he bag as opposed to having it the whole enchilada like Cleveland with dePodesta running the show
Thank goodness McVay is a football guy and not some baseball stooge

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
To me it seems that the Rams are just dabbling in analytics and not expending much to make it a really useful club in the bag (yet).

I mean it's not like Stan went and bought an existing analytics company for the Rams like when he bought StatDNA for Arsenal. The article excerpt mentions 3 kids -- none of them seem to have the proven experience of an Andrew Friedman or the education of a Dr. Zaidi. I mean, I guess that it looks like the Rams are trying and all with the analytics, I just wish they'd try harder, however that may be defined.

That being said, if they could just find a really useful WAR analysis for football players, I think it would be gold.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you go back and watch that old vid on the Rams official site where they talk about the Nerd's Nest

Click link below to watch video.
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Nerds-Nest-The-Rise-of-Football-Data/110ed93f-9a72-4b54-a0fa-351135fb25c2

Nerd's Nest: The Rise of Football Data
By Myles Simmons
Apr 27, 2017

Over the last five years, there’s been a kind of data boom in the NFL. As the league approaches its centennial, teams now have more access than ever before to information that can assist each part of an organization — from decision making in personnel to creating more efficient processes to watch film.

While there are departments across the NFL that serve these purposes, the Rams’ Football Information Systems team is unique in a few ways. One of which is the department’s common name across the organization.

“You know, it’s interesting, I think everybody has a ‘nerd’s nest,’ has an analytics department,” Rams general manager Les Snead said. “I think what separates us probably the most is we actually call them nerds in a very un-poltically correct way. And they actually enjoy it.”

Affably named for their office at the Rams’ facility, Jake Temme, Ryan Garlisch, and Rebecca Lally are the three “nerds” who help to gather and disseminate data to the football side of the organization. They’re a trio of 20-somethings who might look a bit more like they belong at a Silicon Valley startup than an NFL front office.

“I always say, they’re way too smart to be in football. They should be doing something else,” Snead said. “But the unique thing about them — the rare thing — is they’re passionate about sports, in particular football, in particular NFL football, and in particular Rams football.

And just, you get three people [who are] young, smart, talented, a little bit out of the box in terms of being in a football building — but they’re just as passionate as any of us in the building. And those guys, using that passion, working together trying to help us is pretty fulfilling.”

The nerd’s nest serves multiple facets of the Rams’ football operation in both scouting and coaching. Temme and Garlisch are both heading into their fourth NFL seasons, while Lally is embarking on her third. Garlisch built the club’s intranet system from the ground up and continues to manage it.

Temme created Los Angeles’ personnel information database, and analyzes football data and information. And Lally focuses on analyzing and interpreting data to improve player performance and evaluation.

When Snead became the Rams’ general manager in 2012, he envisioned a group that could become a critical tool in helping the organization evaluate information and make decisions. Temme says Snead’s open mind in creating an innovative department was a significant factor in accepting his position.

“One of the most attractive reasons that I decided to take this job in the first place was just being with him, and understanding the vision that he had and how he was going to let us do our job. And he was going to let us gather information, give him information, and not necessarily curtail how that process worked,” Temme said.

“I think he evaluates all the information that we put in front of him. And that was something really valuable to me as well, was not having someone breathing down your neck and telling you, ‘This is how I want things done.’ But being open-minded to the creative process and saying, ‘Find what is the best way to do things, show me, and let’s get there together.’”

The first step in implementing the vision was to create an intranet system to improve communication throughout the organization.

“There was a system in place — it was pretty old,” Garlisch said. “We came in, we upgraded the system, took our time, had about a year to really understand the ins and outs of each department, what their needs were, and wants. And then built from the ground up a complete, custom intranet site for our scouting staff and incorporating now our coaching staff.

“So it’s been a process, but we’re really trying to hit every group on the football ops team to help them out, improve efficiency and time spent so they can use that time to better themselves, to watch film to help them,” Garlisch added.

One of the ways the group increases efficiency is through synthesizing data that comes in — and there is a lot of it. With the advent of advanced metric groups like Pro Football Focus, Temme says there’s been a major increase of available information in recent years.

“I would say on a given play, before Pro Football Focus, we had maybe 30 to 35 tangible data points for every play — a tackle, an assist, yards, what have you. Now we have 550,” Temme said.

“The amount of information we’re receiving both in pro and college now is exponentially greater than it was for both prior regimes — and really before the genesis of Pro Football Focus. I think that has had a tremendous impact on the way we looked at stats.”

It’s also changed the way teams are able to analyze situations.

“I like to look at all the stats that we’ve accumulated — 550 columns wide — and now look at it by, really, it’s criterion. So, now only look at this from third down. Only look at it when it’s seven-plus yards for down and distance,” Temme said.

“There’s so many examples of that. But that really has revolutionized how we’ve used statistics and also the ability to analyze the data from college and pro.”

With the NFL Draft coming up, the data the nerd’s nest has gathered becomes that much more important. While analytics certainly aren’t the only basis for player selection, information the nerd’s nest has gathered can be a useful tool.

“I think what happens is, when you’re doing a corner or a wide receiver, you may rely on different subsets of the data that are specific to each of those two positions,” Snead said. “What I think you use that also for is to go, hey, is my intuition correct? Is there some case studies, is there some history there that shows that, yes, that intuition is correct. Or is it off a little bit?

And I think with each decision that you make, whether it’s a certain position, whether it’s a certain situation in a game, whether it’s even the coaches using to self-scout — you use that history to see if, hey, if there’s a lesson in that history that you can apply to future decisions.”

But even after the draft is complete, the nerd’s nest will have plenty to do under head coach Sean McVay’s new staff.

“Les has done a great job implementing some of those people on his staff, where they’re able to give you information. And it’s things that we’ll use, football-wise, throughout the course of the year when we gameplan, as well,” McVay said.

“It’s not exclusive to just the draft stuff, but it’ll also be very helpful when we go into game planning and some of those numbers, just from a preparation standpoint. I think it’s been very helpful and it’s definitely a valuable tool to utilize.”

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm glad it's just a club in he bag as opposed to having it the whole enchilada like Cleveland with dePodesta running the show
Thank goodness McVay is a football guy and not some baseball stooge

HEY you MotherF#$%&^#r! watch your language! (pass the linguini!)
~Tommy Lasorda

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
You want analytics that will help point out real football players? Here's some "analytics" they should create:
"PWP" (plays with pain) index, "HOHGBU" (head on hits, gets back up),
and my favorite "LTKTSOP" (likes to knock the snot out of people)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interesting read and modern approach.

Ram65

Legend
Click link below to watch video.
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Nerds-Nest-The-Rise-of-Football-Data/110ed93f-9a72-4b54-a0fa-351135fb25c2

Nerd's Nest: The Rise of Football Data
By Myles Simmons
Apr 27, 2017

Over the last five years, there’s been a kind of data boom in the NFL. As the league approaches its centennial, teams now have more access than ever before to information that can assist each part of an organization — from decision making in personnel to creating more efficient processes to watch film.

While there are departments across the NFL that serve these purposes, the Rams’ Football Information Systems team is unique in a few ways. One of which is the department’s common name across the organization.

“You know, it’s interesting, I think everybody has a ‘nerd’s nest,’ has an analytics department,” Rams general manager Les Snead said. “I think what separates us probably the most is we actually call them nerds in a very un-poltically correct way. And they actually enjoy it.”

Affably named for their office at the Rams’ facility, Jake Temme, Ryan Garlisch, and Rebecca Lally are the three “nerds” who help to gather and disseminate data to the football side of the organization. They’re a trio of 20-somethings who might look a bit more like they belong at a Silicon Valley startup than an NFL front office.

“I always say, they’re way too smart to be in football. They should be doing something else,” Snead said. “But the unique thing about them — the rare thing — is they’re passionate about sports, in particular football, in particular NFL football, and in particular Rams football.

And just, you get three people [who are] young, smart, talented, a little bit out of the box in terms of being in a football building — but they’re just as passionate as any of us in the building. And those guys, using that passion, working together trying to help us is pretty fulfilling.”

The nerd’s nest serves multiple facets of the Rams’ football operation in both scouting and coaching. Temme and Garlisch are both heading into their fourth NFL seasons, while Lally is embarking on her third. Garlisch built the club’s intranet system from the ground up and continues to manage it.

Temme created Los Angeles’ personnel information database, and analyzes football data and information. And Lally focuses on analyzing and interpreting data to improve player performance and evaluation.

When Snead became the Rams’ general manager in 2012, he envisioned a group that could become a critical tool in helping the organization evaluate information and make decisions. Temme says Snead’s open mind in creating an innovative department was a significant factor in accepting his position.

“One of the most attractive reasons that I decided to take this job in the first place was just being with him, and understanding the vision that he had and how he was going to let us do our job. And he was going to let us gather information, give him information, and not necessarily curtail how that process worked,” Temme said.

“I think he evaluates all the information that we put in front of him. And that was something really valuable to me as well, was not having someone breathing down your neck and telling you, ‘This is how I want things done.’ But being open-minded to the creative process and saying, ‘Find what is the best way to do things, show me, and let’s get there together.’”

The first step in implementing the vision was to create an intranet system to improve communication throughout the organization.

“There was a system in place — it was pretty old,” Garlisch said. “We came in, we upgraded the system, took our time, had about a year to really understand the ins and outs of each department, what their needs were, and wants. And then built from the ground up a complete, custom intranet site for our scouting staff and incorporating now our coaching staff.

“So it’s been a process, but we’re really trying to hit every group on the football ops team to help them out, improve efficiency and time spent so they can use that time to better themselves, to watch film to help them,” Garlisch added.

One of the ways the group increases efficiency is through synthesizing data that comes in — and there is a lot of it. With the advent of advanced metric groups like Pro Football Focus, Temme says there’s been a major increase of available information in recent years.

“I would say on a given play, before Pro Football Focus, we had maybe 30 to 35 tangible data points for every play — a tackle, an assist, yards, what have you. Now we have 550,” Temme said.

“The amount of information we’re receiving both in pro and college now is exponentially greater than it was for both prior regimes — and really before the genesis of Pro Football Focus. I think that has had a tremendous impact on the way we looked at stats.”

It’s also changed the way teams are able to analyze situations.

“I like to look at all the stats that we’ve accumulated — 550 columns wide — and now look at it by, really, it’s criterion. So, now only look at this from third down. Only look at it when it’s seven-plus yards for down and distance,” Temme said.

“There’s so many examples of that. But that really has revolutionized how we’ve used statistics and also the ability to analyze the data from college and pro.”

With the NFL Draft coming up, the data the nerd’s nest has gathered becomes that much more important. While analytics certainly aren’t the only basis for player selection, information the nerd’s nest has gathered can be a useful tool.

“I think what happens is, when you’re doing a corner or a wide receiver, you may rely on different subsets of the data that are specific to each of those two positions,” Snead said. “What I think you use that also for is to go, hey, is my intuition correct? Is there some case studies, is there some history there that shows that, yes, that intuition is correct. Or is it off a little bit?

And I think with each decision that you make, whether it’s a certain position, whether it’s a certain situation in a game, whether it’s even the coaches using to self-scout — you use that history to see if, hey, if there’s a lesson in that history that you can apply to future decisions.”

But even after the draft is complete, the nerd’s nest will have plenty to do under head coach Sean McVay’s new staff.

“Les has done a great job implementing some of those people on his staff, where they’re able to give you information. And it’s things that we’ll use, football-wise, throughout the course of the year when we gameplan, as well,” McVay said.

“It’s not exclusive to just the draft stuff, but it’ll also be very helpful when we go into game planning and some of those numbers, just from a preparation standpoint. I think it’s been very helpful and it’s definitely a valuable tool to utilize.”

That was great thanks for posting. I'm not sure I saw that before.Put faces to the names. Crazy data amounts they are dealing with. Rams can use any help making later picks well, all picks and free agents. Also they could use help with resigning or not resigning players and amount offers.