Rams embarrassed, frustrated by opener/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams embarrassed, frustrated by opener
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11426/rams-embarrassed-frustrated-by-opener

ST. LOUIS -- Inside a quiet and somber St. Louis Rams locker room after a demoralizing 34-6 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, there were no excuses to be found. There was no sunshine and lollipops were not readily available.

This was a locker room that looked every bit like one that came up on the wrong side of a tail whipping. They had just been thoroughly beaten by the Vikings and they heard all of the boos that rained down as they left the field.

"It’s very frustrating," end Chris Long said. "Frustration is putting it lightly. I know everybody watching is frustrated. You can multiply that by about 10, 100, whatever you want to do. That’s how frustrated people are in this locker room."

Frustration was but one candidate for the word of the day, a word shared by every Rams fan entering the season opener with the hope of a new season and the disappointment of another egg left on the Edward Jones Dome turf.

Another was embarrassment.

“It is embarrassing," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "We put a lot of work into this preseason, and we have a great week of practice. To come out here and play the way we did in front of the home crowd for the opener is embarrassing.”

Taking stock of what happened, those are probably the appropriate feelings for what took place Sunday afternoon.

The final yardage totals were a bit misleading but this game was every bit as lopsided as the score. The Vikings out gained the Rams 346 to 318 but 109 of those Rams yards came on the final two possessions with the game out of hand.

But there was ample evidence elsewhere for why the Rams and their fans were feeling how they felt after the game.

First, the Rams continue to be one of the most penalized teams in the league, racking up 13 infractions for 121 yards, a continuation of a common theme from the first two years of coach Jeff Fisher's time in St. Louis in which the Rams have more combined penalties than any team in the league.

The Rams visited the red zone just once, advancing as far as Minnesota's 16 on the game's final possession before a -- wait for it -- penalty and a missed exchange on a snap left them with a field goal.

In the turnover battle, the Rams had a pair of costly interceptions. One from veteran Shaun Hill led to the Vikings first touchdown late in the first half and Austin Davis cut out the middle man when he hit Minnesota safety Harrison Smith in stride as Smith returned it 81 yards for a touchdown.

Defensively, the Rams couldn't create any turnovers and though they did a good job against running back Adrian Peterson, caved in when Cordarrelle Patterson ran 67 yards for a touchdown on his way to becoming the first Vikings receiver with 100 yards or more rushing in a game.

It was a complete collapse with little redeeming value and it will certainly test the mettle of this team moving forward.

"It’s always concerning when you lose a game and you’re not competitive in it," Long said. "We were competitive for awhile there but things get out of hand and the wheels fall off. I have been in a lot of crappy football games and that was one of them. I have seen worse, I’ve been a part of worse obviously.

"That doesn’t make it any better but I do know that we can turn things around. That’s one week. As far as I know there are 15 more weeks at least. We have got one day to be pissed off and we’ll be really pissed off for a day but we’ll be focused tomorrow."

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Next week is the test.

I really don't care if they are embarrassed or disgusted or any of that... unless it manifests in ACTION. Does it CHANGE behavior. Do guys play better? Do guys focus? Do guys take the field to win their assignments?

Because that's what it comes down to... on each play, if each player wins their assignment, the team can accomplish their goals.

If they don't, then this season will be like Spag's last season... and people will be calling for the OC for the Seahawks to be our new HC... (he'd be worth the wait)

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
It's hard to see us turning a corner after being embarrassed by such a mediocre team.
We held Peterson in check but let Cassel light it up. We miss FGs we should make and we just don't put enough pressure on the opposing teams dbs.
:cry:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's hard to see us turning a corner after being embarrassed by such a mediocre team.
We held Peterson in check but let Cassel light it up. We miss FGs we should make and we just don't put enough pressure on the opposing teams dbs.
:cry:

I would hardly say Cassell's 170 passing yards and 160 net team passing yards constitutes "lighting it up." Our D was respectable for much of the game against them, but the team leaned on them too much when the O couldn't get anything going.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I would hardly say Cassell's 170 passing yards and 160 net team passing yards constitutes "lighting it up." Our D was respectable for much of the game against them, but the team leaned on them too much when the O couldn't get anything going.
We got hands on the guy once officially? Maybe light it up was an overstatement, but he damn sure didn't have a hard day at the office.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We got hands on the guy once officially? Maybe light it up was an overstatement, but he damn sure didn't have a hard day at the office.

He had a rather pedestrian day if you ask me. Not terrible but not great either. Certainly not great when you consider what he has for WR's.

If Bradford had a day with those numbers with WR's like theirs (not to mention AP in the backfield) he would be raked over the coals for underachieving.

Again, aside from the penalties, I'm not as concerned with our defensive effort today as I am with regard to our offense, which had a black hole level of suck and put the D under a lot of pressure.

Athos

Legend
Next week is the test.

I really don't care if they are embarrassed or disgusted or any of that... unless it manifests in ACTION. Does it CHANGE behavior. Do guys play better? Do guys focus? Do guys take the field to win their assignments?

Because that's what it comes down to... on each play, if each player wins their assignment, the team can accomplish their goals.

If they don't, then this season will be like Spag's last season... and people will be calling for the OC for the Seahawks to be our new HC... (he'd be worth the wait)

Yep. Great. They're embarrassed. Now, what are they gonna do about it? Tuck tail, or nut it the frick up?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yep. Great. They're embarrassed. Now, what are they gonna do about it? Tuck tail, or nut it the frick up?

I vote nut up, if anyone thinks for one second Fisher, GW or even the much maligned Shotty is gonna put up with another clunker like this then...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I didn't expect much from the offense, personally, had us winning a close and low scoring game. And the offense was worse than I thought they'd be, unfortunately. But so was the defense.

Those guys are going to need to DOMINATE on defense, if this team is going to have a shot to win games, plain and simple. Not play well for a half, but shut the other team down from start to end. If they can do that, then maybe the Rams can play that pound the ball offense they want to play.

I think Tampa is winnable, obviously. But my faith in this team is badly shaken right now.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I hope Schottenheimer is embarrassed, too. Dude really needs to step up his game.

Anyone think Gregg Williams was chasing him around the locker room with a Taser and a bottle of Nair at some point this evening?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I guess taking the preseason off was a bad idea? Again!
Will Fisher ever learn?