Rams, Eagles Among Teams with Biggest Super Bowl Windows

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
On Thursday, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt examined which of the 32 teams in the NFL have the biggest identifiable Super Bowl windows — the longest period of Super Bowl contention — from right now moving forward.

The Rams came in with the second-largest Super Bowl window, meaning that the club should be in the hunt for the Lombardi Trophy for the foreseeable future.

No. 2: The Los Angeles Rams

“It's hard to do much better than having the Offensive Player of the Year (Todd Gurley), Defensive Player of the Year (Aaron Donald) and Coach of the Year (Sean McVay). Los Angeles is stacked with young talent and a strong coaching staff that also includes Wade Phillips, who is always going to be put together a good defense. Quarterback Jared Goff, meanwhile, will only improve. The Rams are in a similar place to the Eagles, only Goff isn't quite at Wentz's level.”

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Wentz isn't has healthy over the last couple of years, as Goff has been....Availability can be more important than talent, this is why Goff must remain healthy so that his talent advantage isn't limited..:whistle:

MauiRam

Rookie
And Wentz isn't has healthy over the last couple of years, as Goff has been....Availability can be more important than talent, this is why Goff must remain healthy so that his talent advantage isn't limited..:whistle:
Availability is important no question. That said, as I recall, Alex Barron and Greg Robinson were both usually available - however talent along with mental acuity were AWOL. Okay, I'm being a bit of a wise ass, but there is a lot to be said for talent as well as availability.

A case in point: Jeff Fisher is still available, but .......

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Availability is important no question. That said, as I recall, Alex Barron and Greg Robinson were both usually available - however talent along with mental acuity were AWOL. Okay, I'm being a bit of a wise ass, but there is a lot to be said for talent as well as availability.

Read it again more closely. I really said that Goff is more available AND more talented than Wentz
"Availability can be more important than talent, this is why Goff must remain healthy so that his talent advantage isn't limited."
I was pre-smart-assing you...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
On Thursday, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt examined which of the 32 teams in the NFL have the biggest identifiable Super Bowl windows — the longest period of Super Bowl contention — from right now moving forward.

The Rams came in with the second-largest Super Bowl window, meaning that the club should be in the hunt for the Lombardi Trophy for the foreseeable future.

No. 2: The Los Angeles Rams

“It's hard to do much better than having the Offensive Player of the Year (Todd Gurley), Defensive Player of the Year (Aaron Donald) and Coach of the Year (Sean McVay). Los Angeles is stacked with young talent and a strong coaching staff that also includes Wade Phillips, who is always going to be put together a good defense. Quarterback Jared Goff, meanwhile, will only improve. The Rams are in a similar place to the Eagles, only Goff isn't quite at Wentz's level.”
I really like this^, although I disagree that Goff ".. isn't quite at the Wentz Level." They are two different QB's, and Goff should have Won the Match-Up last year!! JMO

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams are in a similar place to the Eagles, only Goff isn't quite at Wentz's level.”

By what measure? Stats? Because both were awesome there.

If you made me pick between them, I’d have a hard time. Both bring something different to the table as players.

But as it relates to the article; it does feel like the opening of a window here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lol, I'd pick Goff all day every day. At least he knows he's not a rb. Far higher ceiling.

Goff is considerably more accurate, too. That is probably the biggest differentiator to me, to offset Wentz ability to run.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams are in a similar place to the Eagles, only Goff isn't quite at Wentz's level.”

And..............I call bullshit on that.

They are about as equal as two guys with very different styles can be..........different styles but the same type of production and value for the team.

Goff 62.1% completion rate
Wentz 60.2

Goff TD/INT ration 28-7
Wentz TD/INT ratio 33-7.

Same YPG passing.

However Gurley score more rushing TD's by himself than the entire Eagles team, 13 to 9, and the Rams had 17 rushing TD's for the season. So some of the passing TD's that may have gone to Goff were going to Gurley and the run game.

jap

Legend
By what measure? Stats? Because both were awesome there.

If you made me pick between them, I’d have a hard time. Both bring something different to the table as players.

But as it relates to the article; it does feel like the opening of a window here.

I believe that Carson, in his second season in the Eagles' offensive scheme, was more comfortable than Jared who was working through his first season in the Horns' scheme. I expect Jared to make a huge jump next season that will carry him past Carson. Even with all his accuracy & touch, Jared can stand to get better with throws downfield. He will need to if his rapport with Sammy, Josh Reynolds, & Michael Thomas is to grow. He also needs to improve his accuracy throwing the rock on the run. The better defenses (read that: playoff-caliber defenses) will not always allow you to stand in a comfortable pocket and perform defensive surgery standing up. He needs to embrace the Aaron Rodgers part of his QB persona more in that regard.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Well, then would you trade Goff for Luck is it's about talent and not so much availability?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Like most of you guys, I disagree with the writer of this article. Once the group-think ruling class determines that a guy is great, he gets all kinds of leverage. Unfortunately the same goes for bust status.

Every Goff strip sack will just send him back in their mind to the Jamarcus, Ryan Leaf world, while Wentz and Jimmiegee will be worshipped, just like the carcass that was Andrew Luck.

We’ll just have to watch and enjoy. I like Wentz. But our guy Jared is just fine, by me.

MauiRam

Rookie
Well, then would you trade Goff for Luck is it's about talent and not so much availability?
Who said anything about trading Goff? My point was that availability is certainly a big part of the equation. No matter how talented a player is, if he is riding pine half the time he can't help his team. The other half of the equation is talent, smarts and heart. The two are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of guys with talent that can't stay available, and there are lots of guys who do stay healthy/available, but lack great talent. I gave a couple of examples of the latter in my first post in this thread.

For the record, I have always been glad we were able to land Goff. As to a comparison between Goff and Wentz, it's apples and oranges. Both guys are very talented, but their skill sets are different. I am very glad we have Goff, and would not trade him for Wentz - and especially not Luck. Luck very possibly is a preview of what Wentz may look like in a few more years.

Lol, I'd pick Goff all day every day. At least he knows he's not a rb. Far higher ceiling.

Agreed! Goff has rare talent, the heart of a Lion, and an abundance of that gray stuff between his ears. I believe Jared will be much better in his second season under McVay, as he certainly wasn't exactly chopped liver last year.

LoyalRam mentioned Goff must stay healthy - let's hope we are able to find some quality depth on our O-line this offseason and in the draft. We were in general lucky as regards injuries to our starting O-line last year. Perhaps Snead can uncover a gem or two in 2018.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I really hope Goff works in his ball security this offseason, and I'm sure he will. Can't cough up the ball every time he's touched.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe that Carson, in his second season in the Eagles' offensive scheme, was more comfortable than Jared who was working through his first season in the Horns' scheme. I expect Jared to make a huge jump next season that will carry him past Carson. Even with all his accuracy & touch, Jared can stand to get better with throws downfield. He will need to if his rapport with Sammy, Josh Reynolds, & Michael Thomas is to grow. He also needs to improve his accuracy throwing the rock on the run. The better defenses (read that: playoff-caliber defenses) will not always allow you to stand in a comfortable pocket and perform defensive surgery standing up. He needs to embrace the Aaron Rodgers part of his QB persona more in that regard.

To lend credence to this opinion, here are Goff's numbers over his final 8 starts of 2017:
163/255
63.9%
2085 passing yards
8.2 YPA
19 passing TDs
3 Ints
109.4 Passer Rating

Over a 16 game season, that equates to:
4170 passing yards
38 passing TDs
6 Ints

However, I will caution you that Jared may not make a huge jump next year. Progression often isn't linear for young QBs. Until their late 20s, most QBs tend to be inconsistent from year to year.

jap

Legend
However, I will caution you that Jared may not make a huge jump next year. Progression often isn't linear for young QBs. Until their late 20s, most QBs tend to be inconsistent from year to year.

Yes, mental growth is not linear. It comes as a person assimilates & digests enough information to take positive steps forward with that info. One also requires the willingness to move forward as well as avoiding stagnating setbacks (e.g., injuries).