Rams' E.J. Gaines unfazed by changing roles/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' E.J. Gaines unfazed by changing roles
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13663/rams-e-j-gaines-unfazed-by-changing-roles

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Aside from the fact that this is indeed his first year in the NFL, there's very little about St. Louis Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines that would let you know he's only a rookie.

Gaines' game tape offers some ups and downs as many rookies have but he's also a cornerback, a position with more volatility than any on the defense. For the most part, though, Gaines has left almost anyone paying attention impressed with how the sixth-round draft pick has adapted to the NFL.

"I feel like being a rookie playing so much you have to get better as the season goes on," Gaines said. "You can’t stay the same and keep using rookie as an excuse to make a mistake. I like to get out there and try to do better each and every game."

So far, Gaines has succeeded in that quest. In nine games, Gaines has 39 tackles, a fumble recovery, an interception and five pass breakups.

For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus grades Gaines as the Rams' second-best defensive player, coincidentally only behind another rookie in defensive tackle Aaron Donald. That same grading scale rates Gaines in a tie as the 11th-most productive corner in the league.

Perhaps more impressive is how Gaines has handled everything that's been thrown at him. After the third preseason game, Gaines was thrust into the starting role when Trumaine Johnson suffered a knee injury. He has since stepped in and started every game outside.

When rookie nickel corner Lamarcus Joyner suffered a groin injury against Arizona last week, Gaines had little problem sliding into the slot and taking on a different role.

"He was fine," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He got his hands on the ball. Didn’t have any problems … we didn’t have to scale down the third-down package per se. He prepares mentally for it and thought he plugged in nicely.

"[It] tells you a lot about him, he’s gone from outside to inside just during the course of a game."

Signs point to Gaines having to do even more work in the nickel this week against Denver with Joyner not practicing because of a groin injury. Playing in the slot against the likes of Wes Welker and Emmanuel Sanders is no easy task for any corner, never mind a rookie who hasn't spent much time playing inside where things happen faster and there's more space to cover.

But Gaines said Wednesday he doesn't expect it to be much of a problem and cited the chance to work on it more during the week as a reason he'd be better prepared to handle nickel duties than he was a week ago.

"It’s a lot on my plate but I feel like I’m definitely ready for it," Gaines said. "I try not to look at myself like a rookie. I try to play like a vet. I do as many things as I can like a veteran to help this football team, help this defense out."

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He is becoming my all time favorite "I told you so" player.

With the additions of Gaines and Barron, the development of McDonald and the potential for Joyner, our super young secondary looks like our d-line did 3 years ago.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
He is becoming my all time favorite "I told you so" player.

With the additions of Gaines and Barron, the development of McDonald and the potential for Joyner, our super young secondary looks like our d-line did 3 years ago.
That's this regime's plan and it better pan out for real. I feel like a broken record but next year should be our year

SierraRam

Recreational User
That's this regime's plan and it better pan out for real. I feel like a broken record but next year should be our year

I too have been a "broken record" for most of the years since 2002. But Fish & Snead have definitely fixed some things: DL, DB, RB, WR...

We're good in the kicking game and TE too. All of these things (except maybe the kicking game) weren't true 3 years ago. Give us an average schedule, a few more breaks and few less shitty calls and we'd be talking about this year instead of next...

We've got at least 4 winnable games left, so we can really carry some momentum into 2015.

To echo a dozen recent posts: fix the OL & address the QB position and were there brother... next year (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I too have been a "broken record" for most of the years since 2002. But Fish & Snead have definitely fixed some things: DL, DB, RB, WR...

We're good in the kicking game and TE too. All of these things (except maybe the kicking game) weren't true 3 years ago. Give us an average schedule, a few more breaks and few less crappy calls and we'd be talking about this year instead of next...We've got at least 4 winnable games left, so we can really carry some momentum into 2015.
To echo a dozen recent posts: fix the OL & address the QB position and were there brother... next year (y)

Yes agree 100%....Fisher & Snead have done some serious work in the area of the secondary & the skilled (RB & WR) positions since their arrival. They have used valuable team wealth (draft picks) to get this present Ram secondary. They have utilized 11 selection on DB's. 4 second day draft picks ( two 2nds & two 3rds) & 7 third day draft picks to secure what we have. Of the 31 or 32 draft picks that we went into these past drafts they have used one 6th rd pick for a QB. The OL & the QB situation has been an after though in some ways when compared to the other areas of wealth draft utilization.

First round selections- 2 DL'ers, 1 LB, 1 WR & 1 OL'er.
Second round selections- 2 DB's 2 RB's,2 WR's.
Third round selections- 2 DB's, 1 Wr, 1 RB.

Total Picks Heavy Utilized during 1st & 2nd days of the draft
4 DB's
4 WR's
3 RB's
2 DT's (two first rd picks)

Total Picks neglected in Utilization during 1st & 2nd days of the draft
1 LB
1 OT
zero-TE
Zero-QB
Zero-OG
Zero-OC

You can see somewhat the what positions Fisher considers important when looking @ the utilization of draft picks on the first & second days of the drafts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gaines is doing a really good job out there and a hell of a late round pick!

Good teams find players late in the draft like this.

jap

Legend
Gaines is doing a really good job out there and a hell of a late round pick!

Good teams find players late in the draft like this.

Late round picks are where the scouting team, headed by Les, really showcase their mettle. The early round picks are relatively easy.