Rams' E.J. Gaines looks to solidify starting CB job/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' E.J. Gaines looks to solidify starting cornerback job
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...nes-looks-to-solidify-starting-cornerback-job

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After emerging as one of the steals of the 2014 NFL draft, St. Louis Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines' rookie season came to an abrupt end when he suffered a Week 16 concussion against the New York Giants.

Gaines missed the season finale at Seattle, putting a damper on what to that point had been the most pleasant surprise of the Rams' season. That Gaines missed a game because of an injury brought his season full circle after he'd become a starter on the heels of the team's many cornerback injuries in the preseason.

It's what happened in the time between injuries to the likes of Trumaine Johnson and Gaines' concussion, though, that has the Rams looking at Gaines' future with nothing but optimism. Despite bouncing between outside corner and the slot, Gaines was one of the defense's most consistent performers.

In 15 games, Gaines had 70 tackles, two forced fumbles, two interceptions and eight pass breakups. There were the bumps you'd expect from a rookie sixth-round cornerback along the way, but Gaines quickly curried favor with his coaches by almost always being in the right spot at the right time.

"E.J., I can’t say enough about what he did for us last year as a starter and as an inside player in the nickel," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "He can come out there and compete outside. Our expectation is that last year Lamarcus would be the inside third corner and that took a little longer and scheme was an issue. It was a good deal for our defense when you look at his production and what he did and his body of work. He made very few mistakes."

Gaines' football acumen has him playing a much different role in these organized team activities. While Gaines was hoping to compete for a roster spot last year as a sixth-round pick, he's now in prime position to win a starting job outside. The Rams have worked him mostly at outside corner opposite Janoris Jenkins during OTAs and seem to like the idea of having Lamarcus Joyner handling nickel duties with Johnson as a primary backup.

There still figures to be some competition between Johnson and Gaines as training camp approaches, however.

"Our thought is that we’re going to have E.J. compete outside and even inside and it gives us depth," Fisher said at the March owners meetings.

In order to win the job on a more permanent basis, Gaines has taken to focusing on the details this offseason. He said he's fully recovered from the concussion and is spending extra time in the film room studying where receivers line up, route concepts and what quarterbacks check to so that he can see things before they happen.

Gaines also wants to provide defensive coordinator Gregg Williams with the flexibility to be multiple in his coverage schemes while allowing him to dial up various blitzes without having to worry about his cornerbacks.

"I feel like my all-around game can be better," Gaines said. "I'm working a lot on my man to man coverage, press man and off-man. The concepts of routes. That's a lot of the things the coaches and Janoris talk about. He has great instincts and able to jump routes. You see things like that and I feel like that’s where I can grow as far as the corner spot."

Gaines believes that improving in those areas will give him a chance to lock down a cornerback spot for a long time, especially with Jenkins and Johnson scheduled for free agency after the season.

"I feel like they know I have high expectations out of myself to come out here and compete like I usually do, whether that's at corner, nickel, special teams, whatever," Gaines said. "I'll come out and compete for the job but I'm definitely going for that corner spot."

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
two forced fumbles
According to whom? NFL.com, Espn.com, and the official Ram website has zero FF for EJ. So this thread is eventually going to become another "Janoris Jenkins needs to step up or ship out" thread.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I keep hearing these snippets from other players about Janoris.

I have a feeling (and have had this feeling for awhile) that Janoris' Football IQ for the position is just through the damn roof. I mean, like he's almost a savant...for the position. AND, he's a phenomenal athlete.

He's not the most articulate guy, but once he starts talking about being a DB, he all of a sudden looks and sounds...different.

So, will he be able to put it all together?

I dunno. It's becoming clear to me that he's got all the tools. Maybe he just needs that Aeneas Williams to back him up for him to excel because he's a gambler and the actuarial table in his head evaluates differently than we do in real time. Remember, he's seeing things and processing things differently and with a LOT different data than we have and in real time while being very physical. That's both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Anyway, I dunno about JJ needing to shape up or ship out (Go Navy!!!), but I have a feeling the good feelings he's built up with the coaches has to do with his exceptional Football IQ and displayed knowledge of the game around them.

I think it's clear that other than the coaches, no other Ram defender knows more about being a backfield defender than JJ. Not even close. Now, if he can do it how GW needs him to, I think he can be an All-Pro. I really do. Especially with TJ McDonald and Rodney McLeod behind him whom I'm really growing to like more and more.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I love the way Gaines played last year and believe he is our best "cover corner".

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Janoris' Football IQ for the position is just through the damn roof.
I can't quite get a bead on his football IQ. I was ready to give up on JJ after the ridiculous TD v. SF with like 20 seconds left before halftime. But then he did that play where he kicked the football away before the opposition could get a quick snap and catch the defense off guard, that was a football IQ play.

Maybe he just needs that Aeneas Williams to back him up for him to excel because he's a gambler
Yeah this is the key, football is a team game and you need to blend talents & strengths. The Rams can't have a gambling CB while McLeod is the free safety. The Rams defense was at its best with EJ in there, no question.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep hearing these snippets from other players about Janoris.

I have a feeling (and have had this feeling for awhile) that Janoris' Football IQ for the position is just through the damn roof. I mean, like he's almost a savant...for the position. AND, he's a phenomenal athlete.

He's not the most articulate guy, but once he starts talking about being a DB, he all of a sudden looks and sounds...different.

So, will he be able to put it all together?

I dunno. It's becoming clear to me that he's got all the tools. Maybe he just needs that Aeneas Williams to back him up for him to excel because he's a gambler and the actuarial table in his head evaluates differently than we do in real time. Remember, he's seeing things and processing things differently and with a LOT different data than we have and in real time while being very physical. That's both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Anyway, I dunno about JJ needing to shape up or ship out (Go Navy!!!), but I have a feeling the good feelings he's built up with the coaches has to do with his exceptional Football IQ and displayed knowledge of the game around them.

I think it's clear that other than the coaches, no other Ram defender knows more about being a backfield defender than JJ. Not even close. Now, if he can do it how GW needs him to, I think he can be an All-Pro. I really do. Especially with TJ McDonald and Rodney McLeod behind him whom I'm really growing to like more and more.
Goodness, what a great post

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Gaines ready follow up on stellar rookie season
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2e596a42-10e0-5157-a716-be393c2b1b59.html

One of the steals of the 2014 NFL draft, Rams’ defensive back E.J. Gaines is already excited about the start of his second season.

“I just feel a lot more comfortable now,” the second-year pro from the University of Missouri said following a recent organized team activity (OTA) at Rams Park. “I have a better understanding of what we’re trying to do defensively and I’m a lot more prepared than I was last year. As a rookie, you always feel like you have something more to learn, that you’re trying to catch up.

“I still have plenty of work to do, but with that year under my belt, I feel like I have a better feel for what we’re doing and what I need to do to get ready for the season.”

Gaines, a 23-year-old from Independence, Mo., started the final 37 games of his collegiate career and earned All-SEC honors as a senior at Mizzou.

The Rams selected him in the sixth round, at No. 188 overall. But Gaines far outplayed his draft position by starting the first 15 games of the 2014 season before being forced to sit out the finale in Seattle due to a concussion. The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder, who saw time at cornerback and nickel back, finished fourth on the squad with 105 tackles and led the way with 14 pass defenses. In addition, he picked off two passes and recovered two fumbles.

“I came in and worked hard, trying to make plays and do what the coaches asked,” he said. “I got a chance to play because of (Trumaine Johnson’s preseason knee injury) and went out and made the most of the opportunity. Sitting out that last game was tough — I wanted to be out there with my teammates, my brothers — but overall, I felt like I did my job.”

Still, there is work to do as Gaines prepares for his second NFL training camp.

“Right now, I’m working on everything — press man, off man, zone coverage,” he said. “I just want to build on what I accomplished last year and work to sharpen and improve my game in every way possible.”

TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE

The Rams announced their training camp schedule on Tuesday. It will feature eight open practices at Rams Park in Earth City as well as an open scrimmage at Lindenwood University in St. Charles.

Rookies will report on July 27, with the remainder of the squad to arrive on July 29. The first public practice will be at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, July 31. Other open workouts are scheduled for Aug. 1 (3:30 p.m.), Aug. 2 (5:30 p.m.), Aug. 4 (3:30 p.m.), Aug. 6 (5:30 p.m.), Aug. 9 (3:30 p.m.), Aug. 10 (3:30 p.m.) and Aug. 11 (5:30 p.m.).

The open scrimmage at Lindenwood is set for 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 7. Autograph sessions with select players will follow each practice and the open scrimmage.

Following the Rams’ preseason opener on Friday, Aug. 14, in Oakland, the team will travel to Oxnard, Calif., where it will hold joint practices with the Dallas Cowboys on Aug. 17-18 and another workout on Aug. 19 without the Cowboys. Each of the California practices will be open to the public.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said the stay in California is not tied to the team’s potential move to Los Angeles.

“The two are not related,’’ he said. “The Cowboys have practiced against somebody just about every year. Their facility is as such that it welcomes another team. We talked to a number of teams ... and the Cowboys were really the one that worked out.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Players not taking part in Tuesday’s OTA at Rams Park were safeties T.J. McDonald and Mark Barron, cornerback Brandon McGee, tight end Alex Bayer, tackle Steven Baker, guard Cody Wichmann and running back Todd Gurley.

Gurley, selected by the Rams with the 10th overall pick in late April, continues to work his way back from November ACL surgery. His status for training camp is unclear.

“It’s hard to say right now. I can’t predict that,” Fisher said Tuesday. “I know he’s doing well. He had a day off today because he’s doing so well. He’ll rehab with us during the break. ... We’re just going to see how he progresses. ... If he’s not PUP-ed (physically unable to perform), then I think you could probably assume that he’s going to play sooner than you think.”