Rams drafting a center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
With only reports of the Rams "showing interest" in offensive lineman and the fact that the Rams twitter account (though I know it's not someone from the personnel department but a PR person) pimping centers in the draft for the past 4 days I am really thinking that they are targeting a starting center in the draft.

Wisniewski might not be high on their list afterall.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think you may be right. Some of their young guys have to be ready to step up at some point. Who knows, maybe it will be Rhaney starting C and Jones starting G? Then whatever they draft to back them up.

V3

Hall of Fame
Considering one of the top centers in the draft is from Auburn, I think we have our answer.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I hope so. If Barrett hasn't won the job by now it would sure seem like we need to.

Isiah58

UDFA
You know that the Rams have probably known since September (and certainly by the end of the year) that Scott Wells was done and would not be returning. They almost certainly tasked their scouts with finding a center in this draft that they love, and I suspect they have identified one or two candidates they are holding on tight. If so, then Wisniewski was only an option at the right price.

As Peter King tweeted yesterday, "The only way to win at free agency is not to play" (intentionally ripping off Wargames I surmise).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was not aware the Rams were making it public that they want draft a center but if it was true it could indicate that they think Wiz is asking too much.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Has to be part of a dance to get Wis to lower his asking price as Dismukes would ruin our season before it started . Even the Mythical coach Boo can't make him our 16 game season starter. Not high on Erving either from FSU who has just one COLLEGE season of expertise playing center from OLT where he is 6'6" and taller than any center I've seen playing with very narrow hips and not a low center base that I think is needed to play there. He only played there his senior year to fill an injured players spot as the best lineman on the team and had two very good OG's on either side of him. I'd love to have Tre' Jackson as our second round guard as the top 5 should be going quick in round 2 with other guards in 3 and 4 that could one day become starters.Deepest spot in this years draft to me.

We NEED Wis to sign with us as I don't think we have one on our squad as we speak sadly to say.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know why we just can't hire a sumo wrestler to play center for us.. that would be awesome.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I was not aware the Rams were making it public that they want draft a center but if it was true it could indicate that they think Wiz is asking too much.

I think this is the case. Idk about the Twitter stuff, but when a guy has multiple suitors like that and the markets as weak as it is we all know what happens. I'm sure we'll have to over pay to get Barksdale back too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If nothing else, the Rams could draft a center and sign Lyle Sendlein as a stop gap until the rookie is ready. Sendlein is much more washed up at center than Blalock is at Guard but he could be insurance.

It might be better than not having any experience at Center.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
God I hope Barrett Jones has been working his ass off to get bigger and stronger. If he can bulk up and stay healthy I don't see why he can't at least be an above average center for us. He was too good in college and to smart to not be able to play the position.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I hope the plan is to draft a C. I really like the crop and have stated in other threads that I think you can find a starting C in rounds 3-5.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Andy Gallik in the 4th round would be tremendous value for the Rams. But I also happen to believe that Barrett Jones can hold his own at Center.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Andy Gallik in the 4th round would be tremendous value for the Rams. But I also happen to believe that Barrett Jones can hold his own at Center.

Well, for Jones the time is now!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams, reportedly, spent some time with Cameron Erving at the Combine. I'd love nothing more than for the Rams moving back up into the lower 1'st and making him an 8 - 10 year starter. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams will be looking at RT possibilities in round 1 primarily, since OG and C can be had later.

Scherff can play RT even if he has been projected for OG as his best NFL position. He will be in the mix due to that just like Martin was last year.

Flowers is a guy who fits the Rams need very well too. Huge and powerful has everything you want on the right side. They might elect to move down for him I think.

Then Collins who can play RT but is seen as OG conversion to maximize his talents.

The one good thing IF the Rams enter the draft with RT need is it is much easier to fill than the blindside. Rams have plenty of options they just preclude taking one of those WRs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
With only reports of the Rams "showing interest" in offensive lineman and the fact that the Rams twitter account (though I know it's not someone from the personnel department but a PR person) pimping centers in the draft for the past 4 days I am really thinking that they are targeting a starting center in the draft.

Wisniewski might not be high on their list afterall.
Who are they "pimping"?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No.
I believe & stated for some time that they will go into Training Camp 3 deep @ center.
Tim Barnes 6-4 306 26/4 yr
Barrett Jones 6-4 1/2 308 24/2
Demetrius Rhaney 6-2 302 22/1

They may also sign an OL'er who can play several OL positions that include center too.
Rams will be looking at RT possibilities in round 1 primarily, since OG and C can be had later.

Scherff can play RT even if he has been projected for OG as his best NFL position. He will be in the mix due to that just like Martin was last year.

Flowers is a guy who fits the Rams need very well too. Huge and powerful has everything you want on the right side. They might elect to move down for him I think.

Then Collins who can play RT but is seen as OG conversion to maximize his talents.

The one good thing IF the Rams enter the draft with RT need is it is much easier to fill than the blindside. Rams have plenty of options they just preclude taking one of those WRs.

I have been thinking that finding a top shelf ORT would be their main goal in this draft. But Snead could feel that Brandon Scherff is by far the only top 10 OL in this draft & the only ready to start OL available @ OLG. I do not feel that Brandon is NFL OT material but he is sure the best OL if they remain @ #10. It just seems they are some really good OG's that will be available in day two of this upcoming draft. That may play into it too.

Snead could go for one of the OT's with the #41 pick that needs a year before they will be ready for OT starting work like TJ Clemmings, or DL Humphries or go OT with the #72 pick with Jake Fisher or Donovan Smith. Meaning they will either have to sign Barksdale or keep Saffold @ OT for the 2015 season or until the rookie OT is ready.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No.
I believe & stated for some time that they will go into Training Camp 3 deep @ center.
Tim Barnes 6-4 306 26/4 yr
Barrett Jones 6-4 1/2 308 24/2
Demetrius Rhaney 6-2 302 22/1

Not sure Barnes will be back, so let's see? Plus IMO the Rams are making googly eyes at Reese Dismukes because he not only is an Auburn guy, but a team captain from Auburn as well.