Rams Draft Rewind: 2012/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams draft rewind: 2012
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7373/rams-draft-rewind-2012

The NFL draft is still about a month away, leaving us with plenty of time to look ahead to what might happen. But it also gives us plenty of time to take a look back.

In the interest of keeping Rams fans from re-living the nightmares of drafts gone by, we'll limit our look back to drafts where at least one player remains on the roster.

With that, we turn our attention to the 2012 class.

The picks: DT Michael Brockers (No. 14 overall), WR Brian Quick (No. 33), CB Janoris Jenkins (No. 39), RB Isaiah Pead (No. 50), CB Trumaine Johnson (No. 65), WR Chris Givens (No. 96), OL Rokevious Watkins (No. 150), K Greg Zuerlein (No. 171), LB Aaron Brown (No. 209), RB Daryl Richardson (No. 252).

What's left: The first draft class of the Jeff Fisher/Les Snead era, this is the group that, for better or worse, is the foundation of what this regime is hoping to build. So far, the results have been mixed but the Rams have found some pieces that they believe will be long term starters and contributors. From the original group, only Watkins and Brown are no longer on the roster.

Brockers, Jenkins and Johnson remain as projected starters and the Rams seem to have plenty of confidence in their ability to get the job done. Zuerlein looks poised to hold down kicking duties for the long haul.

After a promising rookie season, Givens took a step back in 2013 but still offers potential as a deep threat. Richardson looked ready to become Steven Jackson's replacement as the starting back but injuries prevented that from happening and he tumbled down the depth chart. The jury remains out on Quick and Pead entering their third year but so far they've been disappointments.

Best pick: The Rams rolled the dice a bit when they traded back twice before taking Brockers at No. 14 but so far the pick looks like a good one. An ankle injury slowed Brockers in his first season but he played all 16 games and was instrumental in the team's improved run defense in the final half of the 2013 season. Although he still has work to do as a pass rusher, he posted five and a half sacks despite regular double teams. When the Rams drafted Brockers, they knew they were getting an unfinished product but he looks headed toward reaching that potential.

Worst pick: While Quick hasn't made the strides many hoped he would in his first two seasons, it was at least clear early on that he would take some time. Which makes Pead the choice here. When the team drafted him in the second round, the expectation was that he would be the change of pace for Jackson and potentially his long-term replacement. He fell behind right away, missing the offseason program because of college rules and hasn't been able to get out of his own way since. Richardson claimed the change of pace role for Jackson and then the starting job when Jackson departed. Pead has meanwhile struggled with fumbling issues when he has played and hasn't earned many opportunities. Now, he's been relegated to a special teams role and will likely find himself battling for a roster spot come training camp.

What could have been: Many will point to the Rams passing on Alshon Jeffery in favor of Quick and based on results so far, that's a fair argument. But Jeffery was never really under consideration by the Rams so let's go to a scenario that was in play. Before the draft, the Rams showed interest in linebackers Bobby Wagner and Mychal Kendricks. Both were on the board for the Rams at No. 45 overall. But St. Louis wanted to recoup the fifth-round pick it traded for receiver Brandon Lloyd during the 2011 season. So the Rams made a deal with the Bears, moving down to No. 50 and getting their fifth-round choice in the process. Chicago took Jeffery with that No. 45 pick, Philadelphia selected Kendricks at No. 46 and Wagner went No. 47 to Seattle. Three picks later, the Rams took Pead and used the fifth-round choice on Watkins. Making matters worse, Tampa Bay's star linebacker LaVonte David was still on the board when the Rams picked Pead.

My emiticon review:

DT Michael Brockers (No. 14 overall) (y)
WR Brian Quick (No. 33) (n)
CB Janoris Jenkins (No. 39) :confused:
RB Isaiah Pead (No. 50) (n)
CB Trumaine Johnson (No. 65) (y)
WR Chris Givens (No. 96) :confused:
OL Rokevious Watkins (No. 150) (n)
K Greg Zuerlein (No. 171) (y)
LB Aaron Brown (No. 209) :confused: (more for who he is than what he'll become that would be (n))
RB Daryl Richardson (No. 252) :confused:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Quick and Pead are a couple black eyes on that draft. If they somehow pan out then it was an excellent draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To me; Pead is the pisser.

Quick might still emerge. We were told to be patient, and he's progressed along the way.

Pead on the other hand... :mad: I was pounding the table for Lavonte David when he was picked. Imagine if he was on our roster? One less hole to fill.

Then again; drafting isn't a perfect science and it's unrealistic to expect every pick to turn out. So long as we keep finding gems and role players late and UDFA (Stacy, Zuerlien, Hekker, Cunningham, Richardson, etc.) it takes some of the sting off the misses we will see from time to time.

SierraRam

Recreational User
To me; Pead is the pisser.

Quick might still emerge. We were told to be patient, and he's progressed along the way.

Pead on the other hand... :mad: I was pounding the table for Lavonte David when he was picked. Imagine if he was on our roster? One less hole to fill.

Then again; drafting isn't a perfect science and it's unrealistic to expect every pick to turn out. So long as we keep finding gems and role players late and UDFA (Stacy, Zuerlien, Hekker, Cunningham, Richardson, etc.) it takes some of the sting off the misses we will see from time to time.

Me too! David would have been nice & Pead would have been there later... They reached big time for him and Quick, but like you said, it "isn't a perfect science."

The current regime has turned the roster over and we're competitive. Can't complain... yet

scifiman

I wonder what the draft results look like for all teams and who is left on their roster after 2 years. Would be nice to compare them all and see who did best and worst.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Brian Quick and Isaiah Pead make me feel :sick:

Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson, and Zuerlein are quality guys though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Still believe that Quick may develop, but that trade down followed by the Pead selection made me sick on draft day.

That said, I STILL really believe that Pead could be salvaged and be a darn good 3rd down back. He should be used like the Patriots used Shane Vereen.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I agree with that. I think Pead will be fine.

People keep dismissing the fact that he's been hard at working his way up from special teams, where he's excelled. I think he'll continue to improve and find his way to being the 3rd down back that we really need.

We don't get to see it much, but it's already been stated that he'd our best at pass blocking. His hands are as good as any other back we have for receiving passes, and he's certainly more patient that Richardson in running situations.

IMO it will be Richardson who really needs to find a role on this team.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I agree with that. I think Pead will be fine.

People keep dismissing the fact that he's been hard at working his way up from special teams, where he's excelled. I think he'll continue to improve and find his way to being the 3rd down back that we really need.

We don't get to see it much, but it's already been stated that he'd our best at pass blocking. His hands are as good as any other back we have for receiving passes, and he's certainly more patient that Richardson in running situations.

IMO it will be Richardson who really needs to find a role on this team.

I agree with your comment on Pead. I still think there is a chance he can be special. Look at Giovanni at Cincinnati. The two of them are practically clones. I guess the difference is mental. Hopefully Pead has got that under control.

As for Richardson; he had to be hurt last season. How else could he have lost that lightening fast step of his, right???