Rams draft rewind: 2010/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams draft rewind: 2010
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7365/rams-draft-rewind-2010

The NFL draft is still about a month away, leaving us with plenty of time to look ahead to what might happen. But it also gives us plenty of time to take a look back.

In the interest of keeping Rams fans from re-living the nightmares of drafts gone by, we'll limit our look back to drafts where at least one player remains on the roster.

With that, we continue the series with the class of 2010.

The picks: QB Sam Bradford (No. 1 overall), OL Rodger Saffold (No. 33), CB Jerome Murphy (No. 65), WR Mardy Gilyard (No. 99), TE Michael Hoomanawanui (No. 132), DE Hall Davis (No. 149), TE Fendi Onobun (No. 170), DE Eugene Sims (No. 189), CB Marquis Johnson (No. 211), DE George Selvie (No. 226), LB Josh Hull (No. 254)

What's left: Three players from this class -- Bradford, Saffold and Sims -- remain on the roster though the team is lucky to still have Saffold after the strange situation that kept him from signing in Oakland. Bradford is entering his fifth season as the starting quarterback, Saffold is ready to make the permanent move to right guard and Sims has proved a valuable piece of the defensive line rotation.

Hull was a key part of the Rams' special teams until the 2013 season but played last year for Washington before his recent release. Selvie bounced around a bit but has turned into a solid performer in Dallas and Hoomanawanui still provides depth for New England.

Best pick: While Saffold could make a claim based on what will likely be a fruitful move inside and Sims has proved to be a great value as a seventh-round pick, the choice is still Bradford. Bradford has had injury issues in two of his four seasons and remains one of the most polarizing players on the roster as he hasn't lived up to the expectations of being the first overall pick. But he did win the Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 2010 and is at least a competent starter, something many teams would be happy to have.

Worst pick: Plenty of options here but the choice comes down to a battle between Murphy and Gilyard based on their original draft round and relative lack of production. We'll go with Murphy because he was drafted in the third round, a round in which many teams can still find starting caliber players. Murphy contributed some as a rookie but missed the 2011 season with injury and never played in a game for the Rams again. Since, he's bounced from New Orleans to Detroit to Washington before signing a futures contract with Denver in January.

What could have been: The Rams rolled the dice on a former basketball player turned tight end in the sixth round when they selected Onobun. His limited football experience made him the ultimate project and it's one that failed miserably on a team that had plenty of room for help at the position. Instead of spending the first pick of the third round on Murphy, the Rams would have been better served spending that choice on a former basketball playing tight end with a stronger résumé. New Orleans chose Jimmy Graham 30 picks after the Rams selected Murphy and he's become the league's most dominant pass catching tight end. The Rams added another corner in the seventh round in Johnson and, really, he was about as productive in St. Louis as Murphy.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Rams draft rewind: 2010
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7365/rams-draft-rewind-2010

The NFL draft is still about a month away, leaving us with plenty of time to look ahead to what might happen. But it also gives us plenty of time to take a look back.

In the interest of keeping Rams fans from re-living the nightmares of drafts gone by, we'll limit our look back to drafts where at least one player remains on the roster.

With that, we continue the series with the class of 2010.

The picks: QB Sam Bradford (No. 1 overall), OL Rodger Saffold (No. 33), CB Jerome Murphy (No. 65), WR Mardy Gilyard (No. 99), TE Michael Hoomanawanui (No. 132), DE Hall Davis (No. 149), TE Fendi Onobun (No. 170), DE Eugene Sims (No. 189), CB Marquis Johnson (No. 211), DE George Selvie (No. 226), LB Josh Hull (No. 254)

What's left: Three players from this class -- Bradford, Saffold and Sims -- remain on the roster though the team is lucky to still have Saffold after the strange situation that kept him from signing in Oakland. Bradford is entering his fifth season as the starting quarterback, Saffold is ready to make the permanent move to right guard and Sims has proved a valuable piece of the defensive line rotation.

Hull was a key part of the Rams' special teams until the 2013 season but played last year for Washington before his recent release. Selvie bounced around a bit but has turned into a solid performer in Dallas and Hoomanawanui still provides depth for New England.

Best pick: While Saffold could make a claim based on what will likely be a fruitful move inside and Sims has proved to be a great value as a seventh-round pick, the choice is still Bradford. Bradford has had injury issues in two of his four seasons and remains one of the most polarizing players on the roster as he hasn't lived up to the expectations of being the first overall pick. But he did win the Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 2010 and is at least a competent starter, something many teams would be happy to have.

Worst pick: Plenty of options here but the choice comes down to a battle between Murphy and Gilyard based on their original draft round and relative lack of production. We'll go with Murphy because he was drafted in the third round, a round in which many teams can still find starting caliber players. Murphy contributed some as a rookie but missed the 2011 season with injury and never played in a game for the Rams again. Since, he's bounced from New Orleans to Detroit to Washington before signing a futures contract with Denver in January.

What could have been: The Rams rolled the dice on a former basketball player turned tight end in the sixth round when they selected Onobun. His limited football experience made him the ultimate project and it's one that failed miserably on a team that had plenty of room for help at the position. Instead of spending the first pick of the third round on Murphy, the Rams would have been better served spending that choice on a former basketball playing tight end with a stronger résumé. New Orleans chose Jimmy Graham 30 picks after the Rams selected Murphy and he's become the league's most dominant pass catching tight end. The Rams added another corner in the seventh round in Johnson and, really, he was about as productive in St. Louis as Murphy.

Murphy was the first Ram I've ever seen in person. Very dissappointing...

iced

Murphy was the first Ram I've ever seen in person. Very dissappointing...

makes me feel blessed than to have met Robet Quinn lol

brandon gibson however....just really disliked his attitude, especially when i asked him for an autograph.. at least Brian Quick was a good dude

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Bradford, Saffold and Sims were not bad picks. Yes, it would have been nice if Murphy could have turned into a good player, but overall it was much better than the drafts of the previous 10 years.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford, Saffold and Sims were not bad picks. Yes, it would have been nice if Murphy could have turned into a good player, but overall it was much better than the drafts of the previous 10 years.

Not saying much lol

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I met Wendell Tyler at the 99 season super bowl...very friendly....I think I was 3 inches taller than him,and I am 5'10". I met Eric Dickerson---huge hands. I could have talked to him, but really didn't know what to say. I met Pat THomas, and reminded him of the pick off for a TD agains the Giants in the 70'--76?)--he remembered. Met Jim Everett after the 89 season, extremely friendly.

If I could meet any ram ever: Jerry Gray or Jack Youngblood. Did I Change subjects? Someone said sumtin bout meetin people.

I was thinking about this the other day, does anyone else think the previous regime did a better job of drafting in the second round than the current one?

James Laurinaitis, Rodger Saffold, Lance Kendricks

vs

Brian Quick, Janoris Jenkins, Isaiah Pead

Now 2nd round onwards the current regime's drafting shits all over the old regime, but I'd take list 1 over list 2 any day.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I remember TE Michael Hoomanawanui being one of my steals of the draft. It's a shame he couldn't stay healthy.:oops: