Rams Draft Review: 6 Keys to the Draft Class (101ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

The St. Louis Rams completed the 2013 NFL draft this past weekend and – for a second consecutive season – it appears that St. Louis general manager Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher were wildly successful in selecting prospects who will fortify the roster of the Rams.

Briefly, the following things stood out to me regarding the Rams’ draft:

-St. Louis got more athletic:

The Rams got noticeably more athletic for the second straight draft. In particular, the Rams attained more speed and athleticism at wide receiver, outside linebacker and safety.

Specifically, St. Louis picked up three of the more athletic players in the draft at their respective positions: receiver Tavon Austin, linebacker Alec Ogletree and safety T.J. McDonald.

Austin, who went to the Rams at No. 8 following a bold and aggressive move up from No. 16, has been clocked in the 4.28 40 range and finished first in the NFL combine’s shuttle drill, a measure of short-area quickness and explosion. In short – no pun intended regarding the almost 5-9 receiver/returner/ball-carrier – Austin has both top-end speed and elite quickness, a rarified combination.

In the 6-2, 245-pound Ogletree, the Rams obtained an outside linebacker who possesses the speed and agility to keep up with inter-division quarterbacks Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick. Ogletree is an exciting athlete who adds additional playmaking ability to an already explosive defense.

Finally, St. Louis added the 6-3 McDonald, a versatile player who lined up against slot receivers, played solid deep coverage and added physical run support at USC. McDonald, who boasts a 40-inch vertical leap and 4.5 40 speed, will be a towering, physically imposing presence in the defensive backfield. For teams trying to go deep on the Rams, try getting a jump ball over McDonald. That will be a tall task, literally.

McDonald will likely team with Darian Stewart to give the Rams a younger, more athletic pair of starting safeties in 2013 as compared to recent editions of the secondary.

-Addition of Ogletree sets stage for front seven to become elite:

(Hope you all enjoy the full piece.)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/03/rams-draft-review-six-keys-regarding-st-louis-rookie-class/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/03/ram ... kie-class/</a>

(Thanks to all for taking a moment to read the piece. Hope you enjoy it.)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/03/rams-draft-review-six-keys-regarding-st-louis-rookie-class/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/03/ram ... kie-class/</a>

jap

Legend
Interesting material, as usual!

Now all the Rams have to do next draft (2014) is move up to get Jadeveon Clowney and Marquis Lee, and the NFL can simply just mail us the Lombardi Trophy. :twisted: :ww:

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jap said:
Interesting material, as usual!

Now all the Rams have to do next draft (2014) is move up to get Jadeveon Clowney and Marquis Lee, and the NFL can simply just mail us the Lombardi Trophy. :twisted: :ww:

Thanks.. and if they don't have the address it is:

One Rams Way.... ;)

duckhunter

Starter
ShaneG said:
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

In the 6-2, 245-pound Ogletree, the Rams obtained an outside linebacker who possesses the speed and agility to keep up with inter-division quarterbacks Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick. Ogletree is an exciting athlete who adds additional playmaking ability to an already explosive defense.

I don't want Ogletree to keep up with any QBs.

I want Ogletree to lay those two Dorothy, running QB's arses violently on the turf with extreme nonprejudicial impunity. Let em want to take Toto back home to Kansas and grandma's house.

ShaneG

Starter
duckhunter said:
ShaneG said:

I don't want Ogletree to keep up with any QBs.

I want Ogletree to lay those two Dorothy, running QB's arses violently on the turf with extreme nonprejudicial impunity. Let em want to take Toto back home to Kansas and grandma's house.

That sounds even better :)

duckhunter

Starter
The way to stop the read option QBs is the same way the Wishbone offense was stopped in the 80s. The LB putting a clean unabated drive through tackle on the 'running' QB each time the play is run. Eventually, you run out of healthy QBs. The option portion of the play to the RB is taken care of by an assignment sound fast flowing defense to the edge knowing the QB running option will be removed each play.

Flat lay out the opposing QB with a few devastating hits and the OC wises up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good read once again Shane.

Pretty exciting stuff going on in Ramland - eh? I'm not even sure which player I am most excited about. Maybe Tavon because of his explosiveness and ability to score from anywhere on the field but that's still a tough call. Bailey could be a real stud and I think even though there wasn't that surefire stud WR this draft, I think he would have gone higher in most years. I really can't wait to see Tree and TJ give Wilson and Kap a hitch in their gidyup. And I don't see Davis running free up the seam either. Jones in the 4th? Seriously? Talk about value. IMO, there weren't ANY reaches and we got very good talent from top to bottom.

Stoke me baby!

ShaneG

Starter
RamFan503 said:
Good read once again Shane.

Pretty exciting stuff going on in Ramland - eh? I'm not even sure which player I am most excited about. Maybe Tavon because of his explosiveness and ability to score from anywhere on the field but that's still a tough call. Bailey could be a real stud and I think even though there wasn't that surefire stud WR this draft, I think he would have gone higher in most years. I really can't wait to see Tree and TJ give Wilson and Kap a hitch in their gidyup. And I don't see Davis running free up the seam either. Jones in the 4th? Seriously? Talk about value. IMO, there weren't ANY reaches and we got very good talent from top to bottom.

Stoke me baby!

Thanks a ton. Always, always appreciate the kind words.

So much for Rams Nation to be excited about including the things you mentioned as well as two firsts in a very strong draft next season. Arrow pointing way up... great to see.