Rams draft pick Tyler Higbee to be arraigned on assault charge

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...itzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

LOR4dF4.jpg

Los Angeles Rams draft pick Tyler Higbee will be arraigned in a Kentucky courtroom Thursday on charges that stem from an altercation outside a club on April 10.

Higbee, who played tight end at Western Kentucky University, will plead not guilty to second-degree assault, second-degree evading police and public intoxication charges, his lawyer, Brian Lowder, told USA TODAY Sports. The Rams selected Higbee in the fourth round at last week’s draft.

“He’s in good spirits and is excited about the opportunity to play with the Rams,” Lowder said.

Messages left with Christopher Cohron, the commonwealth attorney for the Eighth Judicial Circuit, were not returned this week.

The man Higbee allegedly assaulted, Nawaf Alsaleh, outside a Bowling Green music club lay unconscious for at least 20 minutes, according to the police report obtained by USA TODAY Sports. Alsaleh was transported to TriStar Skyline Medical Center in Nashville in serious condition, where he was diagnosed with a concussion and brain hemorrhage. He was eventually upgraded to good condition and released days later, according to WBKO-TV.

Higbee denied using racial slurs leading up to hitting Alsaleh, which witnesses told police preceded the altercation. Higbee did tell police he said “Watch out, Haji” after he struck Alsaleh.

“Higbee stated that the victim had been getting close to his girlfriend and getting close to him and stuck his head in Higbee’s face,” one of the Bowling Breen police officers wrote in the report. “Higbee stated that he hit the victim once and knocked him out and then left the area.”

Higbee initially fled the scene when officers arrived before he was eventually caught as he tried to hide behind some small trees near a church, according to the report. It also said Higbee "was heavily intoxicated" and had "heavily slurred speech."

Athos

Legend
If the kid gets past this, the Rams would do well to put in a Jenkins-type contract that's heavily incentive based where he stays away from booze related incidents.

Maybe a bit of anger management as well.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sounds like the guy was provoking him. Probably knew he was an NFL prospect and wants a big settlement. Very dumb of Higbee.

Athos

Legend
Sounds like the guy was provoking him. Probably knew he was an NFL prospect and wants a big settlement. Very dumb of Higbee.

That guy would be even dumber as such as event could have led to his accidental death or Higbee not being drafted at all, meaning a paltry settlement.

I have a feeling booze was involved for the both of them and one guy was a creepy who didn't know when it say no.

Still though, if you're on the verge of making millions, it truly astounds me the level of stupid ass actions these athletes take that could jeopardize that. Would they rather be shoveling shit or trading cigarettes in prison?

Ram Man

Rookie
Sounds like a bad situation although all the facts are not out yet. I'm assuming Higbee was drunk and reacted after being provoked or repeatedly provoked. If this had happened in certain parts of the LA area, their would have been a lot of pressure for a hate crime charge due to the "watch out Haji" slur. Fortunately for Higby, it happened in Bowling Green.

nighttrain

Legend
kids will be kids, particularly with their GF around, hope it goes OK for him, should be a real growing up and learning experience
train

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
kids will be kids, particularly with their GF around, hope it goes OK for him, should be a real growing up and learning experience
train

A few years ago a guy broke into my house at 2 AM, while we were all home. The vicitms advocate told me that it generally takes two years to get those cases to trial. It took 2 years and a month......he fled the courtroom just before sentencing and has not been seen since.

Maybe the Rams will get a good two years out of Higbee before this thing is ever settled.

Ram Man

Rookie
A few years ago a guy broke into my house at 2 AM, while we were all home. The vicitms advocate told me that it generally takes two years to get those cases to trial. It took 2 years and a month......he fled the courtroom just before sentencing and has not been seen since.

Maybe the Rams will get a good two years out of Higbee before this thing is ever settled.

Sorry to hear about the break in. That had to be scary for you and the rest of the people in the house.
I'm not sure what the team or league will do to Higbee in the meantime if he takes the case to trial. League disciplinary action has been a little inconsistent and unpredictable for a while now.

Ram65

Legend
My guess is Higbee is going to need to settle on a lesser charge and pay some restitution. The charges for Felony assault in the 2nd degree are minimum of 5 years in prison. Unless he has a really stong case it would be risky to go to trial. I'm not a lawyer so it's just my guess. Anyone have more insight please post away!

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...inal-offense/kentucky-aggravated-assault-laws
Felony Assault in Kentucky

Defend your rights. We've helped 95 clients find attorneys today.
Please answer a few questions to help us match you with attorneys in your area.

When was the alleged crime committed?

by Drew Wheaton

Share on Facebook
Share on Google Plus
An assault occurs in Kentucky when a person physically injures (or, in some cases, simply attempts to injure) another person, without legal justification. Kentucky has four assault crimes: first-, second-, and third-degree assault, which are Class B, Class C, and Class D felonies; and fourth-degree assault, a misdemeanor. The different degrees or levels of assault depend upon several factors, including the seriousness of the victim’s injury, whether the defendant actually wanted to cause the injury, and (in some cases) whether Kentucky law gives the victim special protection (in which case, even if the victim is not actually injured, an assault can be charged if a defendant simply attempted to cause an injury).

GET HELP WITH YOUR CRIMINAL DEFENSE

To learn about misdemeanor assault in Kentucky, see Misdemeanor Assault in Kentucky. For more information on assault and domestic violence, see Kentucky Domestic Violence Laws.

First-degree Assault
First-degree assault is the most serious assault crime. It can be committed in two ways. First, a person can commit first-degree assault by intentionally inflicting a serious physical injury on a victim by using a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument. Second, first-degree assault can be charged if a victim suffers a serious physical injury caused by a person acting wantonly in a way that creates a grave risk of death. The sections that follow explain these situations in detail.

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 508.010.)

Intentionally causing serious physical injury with a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument
This method of committing first-degree assault involves using a weapon or dangerous object to purposefully cause the most severe form of injury.

Acting intentionally. Acting intentionally basically means that a person wants to cause injury.

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 501.020.)

Serious physical injury. Every assault crime involves a physical injury to a victim’s body, which Kentucky law defines as “substantial physical pain or any impairment of physical condition.” A serious physical injury goes beyond the basic definition; it happens when the injury resulting from an assault “creates a substantial risk of death, or . . . causes serious and prolonged disfigurement, prolonged impairment of health, or prolonged loss or impairment of the function of any bodily organ.”

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 500.080.)

Deadly weapon or dangerous instrument. Kentucky defines a deadly weapon as a gun from which a shot could be fired, a knife (other than an ordinary hunting or pocket knife), or several other objects traditionally viewed as a weapons, like blackjacks, billy clubs, karate sticks, and brass knuckles. A dangerous instrument, on the other hand, is an object, or even body part that, while not usually a weapon, can nonetheless be used in a way that can cause death or serious injury. For example, a steel-toed workboot can be a dangerous instrument if it’s used to kick a victim’s head.

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 500.080.)

Inflicting a serious physical injury while acting wantonly in a way that creates a grave risk of death
A person acts wantonly by ignoring the fact that his conduct will cause a certain result. In terms of first-degree assault, that means that a person must be aware – but basically not care - that his conduct could cause death. An example would be driving a car into a crowd.

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 501.020.)

Second-degree Assault
Second-degree assault is less serious than first-degree assault. There are three ways to commit second-degree assault:

• intentionally causing a serious physical injury
  • intentionally causing simply a physical injury but by using a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument, or
  • wantonly causing a serious physical injury using a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.
(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 508.020.)

The discussion on first-degree assault contains explanations of acting intentionally or wantonly, the difference between a physical injury and a serious physical injury, and what constitutes a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

Third-degree Assault
Kentucky gives special protection to certain victims. It is third-degree assault to intentionally injure or even attempt to injure these victims. The crime can also be charged if a person injures or attempts to cause injury by acting recklessly while using a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument. A person acts recklessly by failing to realize that his conduct will cause an injury. Singled out for protection are assault victims who are:

• peace officers
  • employees of facilities that house juvenile or youthful offenders
  • a social worker employed by the Department for Community Based Services to provide direct client services performing their job-related duties
  • certified or licensed emergency medical service personnel (volunteer or paid) performing job-related duties
  • a paid or volunteer member of an organized fire department performing job-related duties
  • paid or volunteer rescue squad personnel affiliated with the Division of Emergency Management of the Department of Military Affairs or a local disaster and emergency services organization performing job-related duties
  • probation and parole officers
  • a transportation officer duly-appointed to transport inmates when the county jail or county correctional facility is closed while performing job-related duties
  • a certified school employee, school bus driver, or other school employee acting in the course and scope of the employee's employment
  • a school volunteer acting in the course and scope of that person's volunteer service for a school or school district
  • employees of facilities in which a juvenile charged with or adjudicated delinquent because of a public offense or as a youthful offender are housed. It is third-degree assault to either inflict a physical injury on such an employee or attack the employee with feces, urine, or other bodily fluid.
(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 501.020, 508.025.)

Penalties
The penalties for felony assault vary depending upon which of the felony assault crimes a defendant is convicted. Obviously, the more serious the crime, the more severe the penalty. Penalties can range from probation to imprisonment, plus a fine, restitution, and repayment of the costs of incarceration.

A judge can impose a sentence of probation or a conditional discharge (meaning no supervision by the probation department) upon a defendant convicted of a felony. Such a sentence cannot exceed 5 years.

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 533.020.)

Penalty Ranges
If a defendant is imprisoned, the sentence will be determined by ranges of imprisonment Kentucky has established for each felony level; and defendants receive what is called an “indeterminate” sentence.

For example, a Class B felony carries a range of imprisonment of at least 10 years with a maximum of 20 years. So, the prison term for a Class B felony has to be at least 10 years and the maximum term could be set anywhere between 11 years to 20 years (for instance, the sentence could be 10 to 13 years). If a defendant is convicted by a jury, the jury is then asked to determine the length of a prison sentence. A judge can modify a jury’s sentence by reducing the maximum term (or, in the case of a D felony, imposing a definite jail term of a year or less). The felony level ranges are for first-time offenders; repeat offenders can receive sentences greater than the felony range.

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 532.060.)

A fine for a felony conviction ranges from at least $1,000 to no more than $10,000 (that range applies to all felony convictions). A defendant found by a judge to be indigent does not have to pay a fine.

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 534.030.)

First-degree assault
This is a Class B felony and the most serious assault crime. Class B felonies carry a range of imprisonment of at least ten years, with a maximum term of 20 years.

Second-degree assault
This crime is a Class C felony carrying a prison sentence with a term of at least five years, with a maximum term of ten years.

Third-degree assault
A Class D felony and the least serious felony assault. Class D felonies have a range of imprisonment of at least one year, with a maximum term of five years.

Consult With a Lawyer
Being charged with felony assault is a serious matter. Defendants will benefit from consulting with an attorney having knowledge of the assault laws and penalties applicable in your case. A knowledgeable criminal defense attorney will have a sense of how to convince either a prosecutor or a jury that a defendant either did not intend to cause an injury, or did not cause a serious enough injury to merit a charge of felony assault. That could result in a lesser charge (such as a misdemeanor charge), a lesser punishment, or even dismissal of a case.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I like his chances in front of a jury if this thing gets to trial - when the victim is unsympathetic - and you get the feeling this guy will be - juries typically do the right thing.

Athos

Legend
I like his chances in front of a jury if this thing gets to trial - when the victim is unsympathetic - and you get the feeling this guy will be - juries typically do the right thing.

Yea..... I dunno. A brain hemorrhage is a pretty sympathetic thing, even if the guy was being a creepy douche. If the dude went into a coma, Higbee would probably be in a cell right about now.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yea..... I dunno. A brain hemorrhage is a pretty sympathetic thing, even if the guy was being a creepy douche. If the dude went into a coma, Higbee would probably be in a cell right about now.

Even when the victim dies, who they were matters to juries. Smearing the victim is very much a viable tactic.

Plus, the medical bills just make pretrial restitution (known in more cynical circles as a payoff) more in play as a resolution. Don't be surprised if this victim becomes all of a sudden uncooperative leading to a dismissal.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There are too many questions about this case to form an opinion. to me. Had the other man been drinking as well?
Drunk or not was he justified in hitting the man?
Does Higbee have a history of violent behavior?
Let the courts decide! The League and the Rams will investigate. I'm sure.
I don't want to Hang a young man on hear-say!

Psycho_X

Legend
I'd say the biggest problem for him is that he left the scene and tried to hide behind some trees like he was playing hide and seek with a 5 year old. If he had stayed put or even called the cops himself and explained what happened this probably wouldn't be an issue. But when you make it difficult for the cops they are going to charge you with what they can. Having said that it seems like the other guy wasn't exactly minding his business or not egging it on. And as someone said I'd like to see what his toxicology results were also. Seems like this'd eventually get reduced to a fine, probation, possibly some classes/community service, and a stern warning. And after that's over with I'm sure the loser he knocked the **** out will sue him for damages and probably win a couple hundred thousand.

nighttrain

Legend

and then because he was stalked, no charges
train

Ram65

Legend
The League and the Rams will investigate. I'm sure.

The Rams better have already investigated before spending a draft pick. That makes me think he will be ok to start his NFL career.

Seems like this'd eventually get reduced to a fine, probation, possibly some classes/community service, and a stern warning. And after that's over with I'm sure the loser he knocked the **** out will sue him for damages and probably win a couple hundred thousand.

Seems likely. The entire incident seems strange. Why was this guy following Higbee and his girl friend. I wonder if we ever get the real story?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Still though, if you're on the verge of making millions, it truly astounds me the level of stupid ass actions these athletes take that could jeopardize that.

Roid rage + racism = blind rage.

I don't know the kid, but if I had to bet, he's not really racist. Just drunk and trying to insult the guy which led to the "Haji" comment.

tempests

Hall of Fame
This is why I haven't gotten into a fight since high school. It's just not worth it.

Your fists will get you into trouble. Your brain will get you out of it. Lesson learned at a young age.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sorry to hear about the break in. That had to be scary for you and the rest of the people in the house.
I'm not sure what the team or league will do to Higbee in the meantime if he takes the case to trial. League disciplinary action has been a little inconsistent and unpredictable for a while now.

I'm not certain but I don't think they can do anything to him for something he did in college.