Rams Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I think the Rams defense is playing outstanding and I think they are only going to get better. They are really coming together as a cohesive unit. They are ranked 9th in points given up which is what really counts especially with Gregg Williams. I am not sure why they seem to have a rough time with the run, but they are ranked 17th against the run. I think it is due to Gregg Williams scheme. Just need to keep them off the field another 5 minutes a game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One stat I'm not satisfied with on the Defensive side of the Ball is our Teams "Sacks"! We're Ranked 19th in the League and we only have 7 Sacks so far this Season! That is NOT up to Rams standards as far as I'm concerned! It should be Double that number at Least! I don't know how many QB Hits and Pressures we have had, But I sure would like to see that Sack Total rise! JMHO

fearsomefour

Legend
One stat I'm not satisfied with on the Defensive side of the Ball is our Teams "Sacks"! We're Ranked 19th in the League and we only have 7 Sacks so far this Season! That is NOT up to Rams standards as far as I'm concerned! It should be Double that number at Least! I don't know how many QB Hits and Pressures we have had, But I sure would like to see that Sack Total rise! JMHO
A lot of scheming quick throws to avoid some of the passrush.
Wouldn't mind mixing in some press coverage to take advantage o the pass rush.
But I get why Williams plays them off a lot.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Getting EJ back is already making a difference. Sensabaugh was the worst free agent CB since Cortland Finnegan, so hopefully we never see him on the field again. My only real concerns for the defense going forward are at LDE and re-signing Tru Johnson. Donald rotating between DT & LDE may become a new standard for awhile, makes the free agency signing of both Easley & Cam Thomas look even better.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The sack total was 2nd in the league the year before, Williams came along, wasn't it. Ironic.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Getting EJ back is already making a difference. Sensabaugh was the worst free agent CB since Cortland Finnegan, so hopefully we never see him on the field again. My only real concerns for the defense going forward are at LDE and re-signing Tru Johnson. Donald rotating between DT & LDE may become a new standard for awhile, makes the free agency signing of both Easley & Cam Thomas look even better.

The Rams got a good year out of Finnegan, plus he was brought in to teach attitude...which certain players took too far, but he did bring some friendliness to the D.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The sack total was 2nd in the league the year before, Williams came along, wasn't it. Ironic.

different defense, tho.

Teams didn't respect our secondary, but we were tough against the run. So... teams set out to develop longer routes. And... we rushed 4 with disciplined gap integrity and collapsed the pocket. We got there faster than teams bargained for on a lot of occasions, but they got those long plays plenty as well.

It was a gamble, iirc. Didn't we also lead the league in pass plays given up over 20 yards that year?

Pretty sure GW wanted to bring the pressure quicker and take away the big play. Well, offenses have responded and that means that the time QBs have the ball in their hands is reduced, which means fewer sacks. But it also means the D has already gained an advantage in that they've put the offense under a time constraint.

I think as the DL works out better gap integrity (those DL calls during the SF game...smh...), we'll see our Run D continue to improve and that will only help our pass rushing D.

We just need everyone on D to stay healthy. That's the main thing.

Bruce2980

Starter
Ogletree is the main run stopper for this D. Once he stops taking two steps back on run plays and trusts his instincts and reads more, that will improve. Hopefully he can get perfectly settled into his new position real soon. Either way I agree this defense is on the rise, still room for improvement, lots of football to go. Keep getting those turnovers, that's been huge so far, it has to continue. I Absolutely love this Defense and it's potential for getting even better. Also keep those hard hits coming, teams hate playing our d because of that.