Rams defense willing to trade completions if it means fewer big plays/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams defense willing to trade completions if it means fewer big plays
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...trade-completions-if-it-means-fewer-big-plays

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As the St. Louis Rams defense prepares to finish a three-week run against some of the best quarterbacks in the league with the best of the best in Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers coming Sunday, they figure to face something of a philosophical conundrum.

Over the past two weeks, the Rams have made it abundantly clear that they're fine allowing Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and Arizona's Carson Palmer to complete plenty of passes so long as none of them go for the type of back-breaking touchdowns that plagued them a year ago.

The idea is simple: Force the offense to be nearly perfect and methodically work its way down the field with short passes while coming up to make tackles. If the offense gets that far, then the defense attempts to limit any scoring to field goals.

For the most part, that approach worked against Roethlisberger and Palmer but Rodgers is a different challenge. Because he's so accurate on the short and long ball, the Rams must strike a balance between being aggressive in coverage and keeping the play in front of them.

"I think you can do both," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "When you play your safeties deep and you have kind of an angel out there, you can be aggressive knowing that he’s got your back. I think we can kind of have it both ways. We talk all the time about nothing over the top. It doesn’t mean don’t be aggressive. (Coordinator) Gregg (Williams) preaches aggressiveness from everybody. It just means don’t give up a cheap six over the top. So don’t let up a cheap 7 route go for a touchdown. OK, they got 20-something yards but it ain’t six. I think last year, we had problems where the deep balls were 60-70 yards touchdowns. And now, the deep balls are 25-30, it’s not a 70-yard touchdown. That’s really our philosophy."

It's a philosophy that has worked pretty well this year as the Rams have limited the big plays that were too prevalent a year ago.

Through the first four games, the Rams are allowing opposing quarterbacks to complete 75.7 percent of their passes. That's second worst in the league and almost identical to last year when the Rams allowed a 68.1 percent completion percentage which also ranked second worst in the league.

But the difference comes in how far down the field those completions are coming. The Rams were 24th in the league in 2014 in yards per attempt allowed at 7.64. Making matters worse, they allowed 44 pass plays of 20-plus yards, which actually wasn't that bad save for the fact that those plays averaged 31.45 yards per attempt. They also yielded five touchdowns of 40-plus yards, plays that were generally difference makers in the final outcome.

This year, the Rams have trimmed the overall yards per attempt allowed to 7.19, which is currently tied for 16th. While they've given up a league-average 13 pass plays of 20 or more yards, the average yards per attempt on those plays is down to 22.77, lowest in the league. A quarter of the way through the season, the Rams have given up just one touchdown on a pass play of 20-plus yards and the longest pass play against them went for 35 yards.

By way of comparison, Green Bay has given up 11 20-plus yard pass plays with an average of 35.64 yards per attempt.

So while it might be maddening to see the Rams give up so many completions, the altered approach has effectively limited the big plays. Which brings us to this week and Rodgers. Rodgers is so good in all facets of passing that he can carve up defenses in the short game or beat them over the top with the long ball.

Rodgers is fourth in completion percentage (72.4), 10th in yards per attempt (8.09) and tied for sixth in 20-plus yard completions (15). He's had no aversion to taking what defenses give him in the past and since he's less prone to mistakes than guys like Palmer or Roethlisberger, he is probably fine doing it for as long as he needs to.

"You have got to also know how they are going to try to attack you," Laurinaitis said. "We have a really good D-line so what we’ve seen from a lot of teams is quick throws because of that. So if they are going to throw quick like that, why are we playing deeper routes? Anticipate the quicker routes until they show us differently. A lot of times if they run deep stuff we are able to get there. Aaron’s release is so fast. I was watching sports science and they were saying he has the quickest release in the history of the film they have on quarterbacks. It’s not just a fast release but he’s deadly accurate."

Which puts the Rams in an interesting spot where they'll have to pick and choose when to be aggressive in coverage to allow their pass rush to do its job and when to force Rodgers to settle for singles instead of swinging for the fences.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
This type of play also enables our defense to lay more hits on the WR and RB and we have seen the TO as a result. You also see some of the alligator arm action later in the game as WR are more aware that when the ball is coming your way so is some punishment from our DB! You would imagine this type of play would work best against lesser teams since they would have the hardest time keeping consistent for long drives. This hasn't been the case in the past but maybe we will start seeing that effect as well as we come out of the bye, seeing as this is only GW second year.

Don't forget the effect on the QB as more plays means more chances for our D-line to get to the QB. In the Cards game you could see Palmer missing passes that he normally makes. Cards fans have been pointing out how we won because they made mistakes. Corrections, the Rams D forced those mistakes!

V3

Hall of Fame
This type of play also enables our defense to lay more hits on the WR and RB and we have seen the TO as a result. You also see some of the alligator arm action later in the game as WR are more aware that when the ball is coming your way so is some punishment from our DB! You would imagine this type of play would work best against lesser teams since they would have the hardest time keeping consistent for long drives. This hasn't been the case in the past but maybe we will start seeing that effect as well as we come out of the bye, seeing as this is only GW second year.

Don't forget the effect on the QB as more plays means more chances for our D-line to get to the QB. In the Cards game you could see Palmer missing passes that he normally makes. Cards fans have been pointing out how we won because they made mistakes. Corrections, the Rams D forced those mistakes!
It also wears out your defense since they're on the field for such long stretches, increases the amount of redzone opportunities for the opposing team, and gives the offense worse starting field position. Also, we're supposed to have the best D-line in the NFL. This strategy negates that strength many times because it gives the QB quick, easy passes to counter any pressure.

There are pros and cons to this strategy. I just feel it would be better to do it a little less than what they do now.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
It also wears out your defense since they're on the field for such long stretches, increases the amount of redzone opportunities for the opposing team, and gives the offense worse starting field position. Also, we're supposed to have the best D-line in the NFL. This strategy negates that strength many times because it gives the QB quick, easy passes to counter any pressure.

There are pros and cons to this strategy. I just feel it would be better to do it a little less than what they do now.

They've honestly had this philosophy since Fishers been here. It's one of the main reasons we play off coverage so much. I agree, there's always a flip side. That said, I honestly think they've done a decent job of mix up the looks on defense so far this year. They need to stay heavily aggressive, and constantly mix things up. Falling out of that mode when you're up 3 or 7 points against teams with a decent offense is asinine. Seeing Palmer on the ground as much as possible last Sunday was a welcome sight. That should be the gameplan every time we see them.

They'll back off against Rodgers HEAVILY though. He's incredible against the blitz, and Fisher knows it. Look at his comments before the last time we played them at the dome, and re-watch the game. I don't think it's necessarily a great option, being as he's pretty much great no matter what. That said, relying on the front 4 for pass rush will be the gameplan. I have no doubt in my mind. Really wish we had number 52 for this game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
doesn't sound like a top 5 defense to me....defend every blade of grass....now I see why there are mocks out saying we should still draft a "lock down" corner....:eek:

RamzFanz

Damnit
If we package up Rodgers, it will need to be done without the blitz and mostly from the edge. If Donald and Brokers hold their ground against the run, I like the chances of Quinn and Long pressuring Rodgers all game and the LBs focusing more on disrupting the short game.

Bend but don't break, as we've played it thus far, won't win in GB, IMHO.

RamzFanz

Damnit
doesn't sound like a top 5 defense to me....defend every blade of grass....now I see why there are mocks out saying we should still draft a "lock down" corner....:eek:

The toughest part of our schedule relinquishes 2 TDs to the Cards, Steelers, and Hawks, combined. What works, works, but I don't see a W if we don't step up the short pass coverage against Rodgers.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard

I agree there are down sides to this type of defense but the reason we have such a disparity in time of possession is the offenses fault. Before the second half of the Cards game the offense was terrible and sustained very few drives giving our defense very little time to recuperate. With how spread out more offenses are they will get easy short passes if you play bump and run or off coverage. I think the idea is that they have to execute well for longer periods of time which should give the D more chances at a big play. If our O can keep this running game going I think you will see the time of possession even out and our D looking much better. One thing that Laurinaitis pointed out was that they aren't being beat over the top like the play that lost the Dallas game last year. Make the opponent work for the points. Ask the Cards.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Of course, one of the best pure coverage CBs for the Rams is out for the season. I suspect he would make some difference. But yes, if a good CB falls to the Rams at pick #31, they should draft him.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's the thing to me...

It's all fine and good that they allow the opponent to get down field where it "shrinks" and then limit them to a FG perhaps.

But, for the elite QBs like Rodgers, who know how to find the end zone, it can be disasterous.

Irish

Starter
All I know is I have Randall Cobb going in a PPR league this weekend, and I am expecting a HUGE number of completions. He may not score, but if he catches 11 passes or something like that he is going to put up big numbers.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is I have Randall Cobb going in a PPR league this weekend, and I am expecting a HUGE number of completions. He may not score, but if he catches 11 passes or something like that he is going to put up big numbers.
I have Jones.
Never hope for an injury... but this is a good place for one to happen to Cobb.

Helps me and the Rams!! :D

Irish

Starter
I have Jones.
Never hope for an injury... but this is a good place for one to happen to Cobb.

Helps me and the Rams!! :D
raw

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's a thought...

Do you think it's possible that the signs of an emergence in our running game might induce GW to modify his scheme a bit?

At least at times?

I dunno for sure, but it's gotta be nice to at least be able to anticipate improved TOP and a more rested D.