Rams' Defense Very Shorthanded These Days

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/34920/rams-defense-very-shorthanded-these-days
By Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams have yet to see five of their projected defensive starters in a preseason game.

One, defensive lineman Dominique Easley, is out for the year after tearing his ACL. Another, defensive lineman Aaron Donald, continues to hold out. And three others -- cornerback Kayvon Webster, outside linebacker Robert Quinn and inside linebacker Mark Barron -- have been kept out of the first two preseason contests, either because of a minor injury or as part of a long-term maintenance plan.

The Rams' defense has looked good all summer, but the most encouraging signs from the first team have been confined to 11-on-11 drills during practice.

First-year head coach Sean McVay is still waiting to get a glimpse of what it all looks like in live action.

"When you talk about some of the players that we’re anticipating we'd like to be a big part of what we're doing this year, it does make it a little bit more difficult because of the importance of those guys playing together -- the calls, the communication," McVay said Sunday, following a 24-21 win over the Oakland Raiders on Saturday night. "Just like anything else on offense, you talk about those defensive guys having that continuity, being able to play together."

The Rams are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Though many of the principles are the same, the Rams have been unable to get everybody on the field together for the transition. Ethan Westbrooks will presumably start in place of Easley, and Louis Trinca-Pasat has been drawing starts in place of Donald, whose holdout has threatened to spill into the regular season.

Webster, who spent the last two years playing under Phillips in Denver, was one of three cornerbacks inactive for Saturday's game, in addition to Nickell Robey-Coleman and Mike Jordan. Barron and Quinn have participated in several practices, but McVay is seemingly opting to keep them as fresh as possible for the regular-season opener.

"In a perfect world, you would like those guys to get more reps together," McVay said, "but not at the expense of setting them back where they might not be healthy for the Sept. 10 date against the Colts."

McVay is "optimistic" that Quinn, Barron and Webster will all play in Saturday's preseason home game against the neighboring Los Angeles Chargers, which will basically represent the last chance for the starters to see action. Most of the starters will play into the third quarter that night, but Quinn, Barron and Webster might take on a lighter workload if they do play.

The Rams' defense held a very shorthanded Cowboys team to nine first downs and 248 net yards in the preseason opener. On Saturday, however, Derek Carr led the Raiders to touchdown drives on two of his three possessions, with Trumaine Johnson intercepting a pass in between.

"There's a lot of guys that we're projecting as being parts of what we're trying to do moving forward that haven't gotten a chance to all play together, other than in some of those practice settings," McVay said. "Which is good, but it's still not a game.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I like the fact that they are getting a real good look at some of the players that will be counted on for depth.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Story seems a bit of a stretch for a reporter that doesn't have anything else to write about...Kayvon Webster, Robert Quinn, and Mark Barron will be there Week One. Nothing can be done about injured Easley and Donald's holdout (while he doesn't come back to the team...hey Donald, FIRE THAT AGENT).

We won't be as good without Donald in stopping the run or rushing the passer, so he's hurting his team if this lasts into the regular season.....But the Ram's defense should still be legit when everyone is in the building.

Psycho_X

Legend
Quinn is a tricky one... I don't want him to play anymore than he has to but at the same time he is playing in a defense in a position that he has never played before ever. And while he will mostly be playing as an edge rusher like he always has there are still a lot of new intricacies to the position that he needs to get used to. So I hope he is prepared come week 1. Overall, not worried about any of these guys missing preseason action being veterans. I'm sure Wade has it all figured out how to get them prepared week 1.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn is a tricky one... I don't want him to play anymore than he has to but at the same time he is playing in a defense in a position that he has never played before ever. And while he will mostly be playing as an edge rusher like he always has there are still a lot of new intricacies to the position that he needs to get used to. So I hope he is prepared come week 1. Overall, not worried about any of these guys missing preseason action being veterans. I'm sure Wade has it all figured out how to get them prepared week 1.
What? I have heard he himself say that he's doing the same thing except, not starting from a three point stance? Maybe you are talking about dropping into coverage?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Quinn is a tricky one... I don't want him to play anymore than he has to but at the same time he is playing in a defense in a position that he has never played before ever. And while he will mostly be playing as an edge rusher like he always has there are still a lot of new intricacies to the position that he needs to get used to.
Like @LoyalRam indicated, I don't believe Quinn's role will change much, hence I see no need for him to play much, if at all, in the preseason. I wouldn't play him, Barwin, or Barron at ALL in the preseason...Webster and Tru could chill too...We need to focus on evaluating key positions of depth on the back end of the roster...these will be tough cuts...and I, for one, would like to give some of the backups every opportunity to prove their value...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Like @LoyalRam indicated, I don't believe Quinn's role will change much, hence I see no need for him to play much, if at all, in the preseason. I wouldn't play him, Barwin, or Barron at ALL in the preseason...Webster and Tru could chill too...We need to focus on evaluating key positions of depth on the back end of the roster...these will be tough cuts...and I, for one, would like to give some of the backups every opportunity to prove their value...
I see your reasoning, But I believe everyone needs some reps in the pre-season to get there timing down with there Team mates! Doesn't that make sense!?o_O:confused:
Then again maybe it's just because I want to see the starter Play for a little into the 3rd quarter!:fuelfire:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Once again Alden proves he really doesn't know what the Rams are doing. Those guys holding out of games is intentional. They're practicing and cycling practice days in an effort to not wear them out or risk injuries in preseason.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Once again Alden proves he really doesn't know what the Rams are doing. Those guys holding out of games is intentional. They're practicing and cycling practice days in an effort to not wear them out or risk injuries in preseason.
He does mention it twice in the article above.
One, defensive lineman Dominique Easley, is out for the year after tearing his ACL. Another, defensive lineman Aaron Donald, continues to hold out. And three others -- cornerback Kayvon Webster, outside linebacker Robert Quinn and inside linebacker Mark Barron -- have been kept out of the first two preseason contests, either because of a minor injury or as part of a long-term maintenance plan.

Webster, who spent the last two years playing under Phillips in Denver, was one of three cornerbacks inactive for Saturday's game, in addition to Nickell Robey-Coleman and Mike Jordan. Barron and Quinn have participated in several practices, but McVay is seemingly opting to keep them as fresh as possible for the regular-season opener.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
He does mention it twice in the article above.
Yet the title is "Defense is short handed" we've lost 1 guy we're fine especially compared to the rest of the league. A "sensational" title that isn't accurate and is meant to just generate clicks.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's like Alden is straining for a storyline, isn't it?

Besides, we have a ton of quality candidates for positions throughout the D. Why not give 'em the snaps?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yet the title is "Defense is short handed" we've lost 1 guy we're fine especially compared to the rest of the league. A "sensational" title that isn't accurate and is meant to just generate clicks.
It is true though, whether or not if it's by design. A few starters are out, the article immediately acknowledges it and goes into detail as to why that is. Every writer needs people to click on their articles to keep their job. Is it the most upfront title, no. But it's not false or "sensationalism", McVay has held out a few players that a lot of fans (people here included) have wondered as to why. I just think you're taking this way too personal.

EasyE

Starter
I believe Quinn will never be the guy we used to know...heck, he never plays...I hope we haven't seen the best of him...he was SO dominate in the pass rush...I am so wanting to see the old Quinn and the bada$# AD together with 'Tree and Joyner and crew....

I am excited!
Go Rams

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But I believe everyone needs some reps in the pre-season to get there timing down with there Team mates! Doesn't that make sense!?o_O:confused:
I'd agree except I think with 16 games....a good vet only needs a half of football to get back up to speed on defense....offense is different....and I think the little rust still there is worth it...as opposed to risking a injury. I think Aaron Donald is sitting out because of $$$$, but also because he believes he can quickly get up to speed with actual game reps. Me too.
I believe Quinn will never be the guy we used to know
Hard to say....back injuries are no joke...but if he's got a new exercise program...and a solid Dr....it's possible..he was getting into a lil grove last year before he was shut down....19 sacks is a bunch...maybe he peaked out...but in a new D...at his relatively young age...I'm encouraged.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd agree except I think with 16 games....a good vet only needs a half of football to get back up to speed on defense....offense is different....and I think the little rust still there is worth it...as opposed to risking a injury. I think Aaron Donald is sitting out because of $$$$, but also because he believes he can quickly get up to speed with actual game reps. Me too.
Hard to say....back injuries are no joke...but if he's got a new exercise program...and a solid Dr....it's possible..he was getting into a lil grove last year before he was shut down....19 sacks is a bunch...maybe he peaked out...but in a new D...at his relatively young age...I'm encouraged.
I think Quinn will have a "Come-Back year" under Phillips, Demarcus Ware did, in Denver, w/ Wade!(y);):D

A55VA6

Legend
I actually think having some of our starters out for preseason can be looked at in a positive way. More reps for the young guys that will round out the depth of our defense, and we've already seen a few guys emerge. I'm not too worried about guys like Donald and Quinn missing time... they'll be fine.