Rams Defense Must Earn Respect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Daily Bits: Rams Defense Must Earn Respect

Posted by: Bernie Miklasz

http://www.101sports.com/2015/09/25/daily-bits-rams-defense-must-earn-respect/

In Week One, they wrestled Marshawn Lynch to the ground, prevented quarterback Russell Wilson from breaking off big plays, and held the Seattle Seahawks offense to one touchdown from scrimmage. And on the game’s final play, they stuffed Lynch for a 1-yard loss to lock down a 34-31 victory.

In Week Two, they went to Washington D.C. and turned into tourists, taking in the sights on a leisurely Sunday afternoon. They became curious onlookers as Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins completed 23 of 27 passes. They were mere bystanders, watching and waving as Redskins running backs Matt Jones and Alfred Morris rumbled for 182 yards rushing. Washington sent them home to St. Louis with a 24-10 kicking of the buttocks that represented the most embarrassing defeat of Jeff Fisher’s 50-game term as head coach.

The Rams defense stood up and formed a wall to proudly contain Seattle. But the same defense stood down in Washington, giving the ‘Skins a free pass and an easy win.

And now the Pittsburgh Steelers and their black-and-gold fans are on the way, planning a Sunday invasion of downtown St. Louis.

The Rams defense has a lot to prove if it wants to justify the preseason hype, the plaudits, and advance praise.

The Steelers are the first test. They come in with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger slinging the football with boldness and confidence, leading NFL quarterbacks with the most passing yards (5,672) since the start of last season. Big Ben has some talented friends including favorite target Antonio Brown, who has caught more passes (257) for more yards (3,525) than any NFL wide receiver since the beginning of the 2013 season. And after missing the first two games, Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell is ready to rejoin the band. He’s the dynamic running back who charged for 2,215 yards and 11 touchdowns from scrimmage in 2014.

Through the first two weeks the Steelers are averaging 32 points per game. Roethlisberger is running a fast-paced, no-huddle offense that ran a play every 26.5 seconds in last Sunday’s 43-18 destruction of the San Francisco 49ers.

The schedule provides no cover in the coming two weeks. After taking on the Steelers the Rams defense will head to Arizona and call on Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer, who is 11-2 at home (with the offense putting up 27 points per game) since being brought in by the brilliant head coach Bruce Arians in 2013. The Cardinals, 2-0, have averaged 39.5 points in their first two games.

After that, on Oct. 11, the Rams ‘D’ will be in Green Bay to see if it’s possible to make QB Aaron Rodgers have a bad day at Lambeau Field. Since becoming the Packers’ starter in 2008 Rodgers has a 43-9 record, 124 touchdown throws, and a passer rating of 113.2 at home. Rodgers and the The Pack have won 37 of their last 40 regular-season games at Lambeau.

If the Rams are hungry to make up for their no-show defense in Washington, the next three games provide a wonderful opportunity. This defense puzzles me. If they’re on their game — properly prepared and inspired — this unit can be intimidating as any defense in the NFL. When quarterbacks prepare to face the Rams’ defense, they’re quick to recognize the danger … and even quicker to offer praise.

“We got a long way to go to try and slow down that pass rush,” Roethlisberger said in a conference call with the STL media. “That’s the first thing you see when you see when you watch the tape is the pressure they get on the quarterback. Whether it’s just four guys, whether it’s five or six guys, they’re bringing pressure. They’re bringing blitzes. I think they rely a lot on their four to get home, but we’re going to anticipate a lot of extra blitzes, bringing some extra guys. What an amazing front seven and that’s to take nothing away from their secondary, but that front seven is pretty spectacular.”

The Rams’ defensive reputation remains intact.

But does the rep exceed the actual performance?

Against Seattle, the Rams defense was worthy of hurrahs.

Against Washington, they were trampled for the seventh-highest rushing total and gave up the third-highest completion rate (85.3 pct.) by an opponent during Fisher’s 50 games here.

Go figure.

Will the Rams defense post up on Sunday?

And can they do it again at Arizona and Green Bay?

The lesson here is simple: respect must be earned.

------------

The Steelers are a lean favorite (1 point, or 1.5 points) to win Sunday’s game. Here are a few nuggets from PredictionMachine.com — and really you should check out the site. It’s fun: All-time, the Rams as home underdogs are 44-66-1 (40%) against-the-spread but they have covered the last three times. (I’ll add this one: Fisher’s Rams are 8-6 against the spread in their last 14 games as home underdogs.) … As a road favorite Roethlisberger is 22-32-1 (41%) against the spread. … when installed as a two-point or less favorite on the road, the Steelers are 2-4 against the spread in their last six.

Pro Football Focus analyst Sam Monson sees greatness in Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald. Here’s an excerpt from Monson’s piece on ESPN.com: ” If I were to tell you Donald is playing well right now, I wouldn’t be breaking the kind of news that interrupts television broadcasts. So what if I told you Donald is outperforming (Houston’s) J.J. Watt, and is not only ahead of Watt for 2015 — I know, two whole games — but is also out in front of Watt at the same point in their respective careers Through two games, Donald is on pace to not just surpass, but crush the best grade we have ever seen from a defensive interior player — and cruise right on past the best performance PFF has ever seen from any player over a single season.”

Thanks for reading …

—Bernie

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I usually just skip to the end of Bernie's articles to get to the meat.

The lesson here is simple: respect must be earned.
And there's the hamburger right there.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

giphy.gif

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I remember when people were saying the schedule looked soft this year. I don't see it. This team could very well be sitting at 1-4 after the GB game. If they play anything like last week, you can bet the farm on it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Washington sent them home to St. Louis with a 24-10 kicking of the buttocks that represented the most embarrassing defeat of Jeff Fisher’s 50-game term as head coach.
I disagree Bernie. My vote goes to losing to a Ryan Lindley-lead Cardinals team after posting back to back shutouts vs Washington and Oakland last year.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Yeah, I'm not a big Bernie fan, but there is some truth to what he said. It was discussed through the offseason and the preseason that the defense needs to carry the team during the first part of the season until the offense gets in sync. Last week's performance was a real stinker. If they want to be great, they have to play like they did against Seattle every week. If the defense can't put it together these next three games we will be 1-4 going into the bye week. There has to be a real sense of urgency by the entire team, or it will be a long season. Not that I'm stating the obvious here.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I disagree Bernie. My vote goes to losing to a Ryan Lindley-lead Cardinals team after posting back to back shutouts vs Washington and Oakland last year.
I'd say getting our asses handed to us by NE after an embarrassing defeat before by Green Bay was the most disappointing. Just horrendous effort stacked on top of horrendous effort.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Bernie is a dunce, and an asshole.

And the Rams defense HAS HAD respect and has for some time now.

I'm so over the media knee jerk journalism that rules the day but I'm happy the internet has exposed guys like Bernie.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams are playing "Jeckyle & Hyde" Never know what kind of team is going to show up on game day. Look great one game, beat a Superbowl team, next week look like crap loose to toiletbowl team. I just hope they are embarrassed enough to show up this week.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd say getting our asses handed to us by NE after an embarrassing defeat before by Green Bay was the most disappointing. Just horrendous effort stacked on top of horrendous effort.
Those are perennial Super Bowl contenders with HOF QB's. Rams were 3-3 in Fisher's first season here with still alot of bad football players with tempered expectations. What's your reasoning here? Genuinely curious. There is no right answer.

I chose Lindley's Cardinals because we were 6-7 and playing well...it was a home game, their #2 QB had been knocked out of the game, the Cards were ripe for a defeat with all their injuries, and because Lindley is one the worst QB's to ever play in an NFL game, yet when he's 80 yrs old he can tell his grandchildren the story about him beating the Rams on National television. Then we had the fat turd opening his piehole post game. It was truly embarrassing.

The Rams didn't recover from that game mentally either IMO. IIRC we all felt pretty good before that game. Beat a Drew Stanton team in our house(a divisional win), beat the Giants the following week and try to steal one in Seattle to finish 9-7 or 8-8 at worst. Those last 3 losses were incredibly deflating and a little embarrassing(Giants gm)but it all started with AZ.

The only good news is that we wrecked the Cardinals 11-5 season despite being swept. :)

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Those are perennial Super Bowl contenders with HOF QB's. Rams were 3-3 in Fisher's first season here with still alot of bad football players with tempered expectations. What's your reasoning here? Genuinely curious. There is no right answer.

I chose Lindley's Cardinals because we were 6-7 and playing well...it was a home game, their #2 QB had been knocked out of the game, the Cards were ripe for a defeat with all their injuries, and because Lindley is one the worst QB's to ever play in an NFL game, yet when he's 80 yrs old he can tell his grandchildren the story about him beating the Rams on National television. Then we had the fat turd opening his piehole post game. It was truly embarrassing.

The Rams didn't recover from that game mentally either IMO. IIRC we all felt pretty good before that game. Beat a Drew Stanton team in our house(a divisional win), beat the Giants the following week and try to steal one in Seattle to finish 9-7 or 8-8 at worst. Those last 3 losses were incredibly deflating and a little embarrassing(Giants gm)but it all started with AZ.

The only good news is that we wrecked the Cardinals 11-5 season despite being swept. :)
I would say it was probably the timing.

We we riding hot, we had beaten the Hawks and the Cardinals and we had barely been beaten by the Dolphins. We we're 3-3 and we looked like we were a brand new team. I didn't expect us to blow them out, like you said they're perennial winners and we were still very much Spags team for the most part, but I just expected more fire. They had shown us that they were willing to fight tooth and nail and then it just sorta.. Stopped, like we got slapped right in the mouth and just stumbled.

Also the Pats one, the one that stung the most, was in London also nationally televised. Even with our talent deficiency it was just.. An embarrassment, after the Givens bomb they tightened up and it was like JV vs a pro team, we had zero response to anything they put out and they were just running up the score on us after a while. And it was the fucking Patriots, seeing those smug assholes who stole our Superbowl and as far as I'm concerned ushered in the dark ages smirking and laughing and carrying on just pissed me off.

We just whimpered out of London, Pats got another thing to jerk off to and it really just stuck with me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Thanks for saving me from another "Torturous-Bernie-Read!!"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I love you, not just for this post, for many of the No Pirates posts too. This one just confirmed it though.

What's your reasoning here......LULZ.......

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I remember when people were saying the schedule looked soft this year. I don't see it. This team could very well be sitting at 1-4 after the GB game. If they play anything like last week, you can bet the farm on it.

If I'm not mistaken, preseason their schedule was considered 7th or 8th toughest.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I love you, not just for this post, for many of the No Pirates posts too. This one just confirmed it though.

What's your reasoning here......LULZ.......
We are the men who love Booty. Knowledge is power. Respect the Booty. Embrace the Booty.
DO NOT fear the Booty.