Rams' defense knows it's time to step up/AP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' defense knows it's time to step up
Associated Press

http://www.maryvilledailyforum.com/...1-b1cd-59c0-b6a7-2d2c689085a1.html?mode=story

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Whether it's Shaun Hill or Austin Davis barking signals next week at Philadelphia, the St. Louis Rams have bigger issues to address on their bye week.

Tops on the list is shoring up an underwhelming defense that's been burned for big plays and made very few itself, with one sack, one fumble recovery and two interceptions.

Next comes the high penalty count, something of a trademark of coach Jeff Fisher's teams.

Special teams have been good and the offense, while making its share of mistakes, has far exceeded expectations without Sam Bradford.

Fisher and new coordinator Gregg Williams were counting on the defense to keep scores down. Instead, the Rams have allowed the third-most points in the league, worsened by a pair of interceptions by Davis returned for touchdowns.

Players aren't blaming Williams for too much complexity. Most were around in 2012 when Williams' son Blake coached the defensive line, and the system was similar.

"Gregg is an extremely smart, cerebral play caller," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "Heck, a lot of times there's been perfect play calls and we just don't execute.

"On some plays, it's bad technique. On some plays, it's bad eyes."

The Rams squandered a 21-point lead in a spirit-sapping 34-31 loss to the Cowboys last Sunday, matching the largest advantage blown at home in franchise history.

Williams has the personnel to pressure the opposition into mistakes. In the two losses, stretches of effectiveness have been negated by big gains.

On Dallas' go-ahead drive in the fourth quarter, three plays accounted for 69 of the 84 yards. Alec Ogletree whiffed on Tony Romo's 16-yard scramble on third-and-13; Romo had time to find Terrance Williams for 20 yards, and Janoris Jenkins interfered with Dez Bryant, resulting in a 33-yard gain.

"You're right there, you need those plays," defensive end Robert Quinn said. "They made them and we didn't."

Play-calling has seemed curious at times. Though they're deepest on the defensive line, even with end Chris Long out with an ankle injury, the Rams often used three-man fronts against Dallas.

St. Louis ranks 28th in rush defense, allowing 155 yards per game. The Rams are last in the league in sacks and near the bottom in yards per play, rushing yards per play, passing net yards per play and scoring differential.

Quinn, who led the NFC with a franchise-record 19 sacks last season, has none the first three games.

Players insist it's not because they're thinking too much about Williams' calls.

"It's complex, but it's easier than some of the other schemes I've been in where there might be four calls on one play," Laurinaitis said. "As far as the grand scheme of things, he loves to allow you to see what you're doing and go play fast.

"We don't chase ghosts and go do other stuff."

The Rams have racked up 305 yards in penalties, second-most in the NFL. Fisher argues that the referees are watching his team too closely and asserts that several calls were unwarranted against Dallas.

"Reduce the penalties? Well, we just get them to call penalties and not throw flags when there's no infraction," Fisher said. "That'll significantly reduce it."

Both Hill and Davis appear to be better replacements at quarterback than Kellen Clemens, who started the final nine games last season.

Fisher has been adamant that the 34-year-old Hill is his starter when healthy, and he's been close enough to be the backup the last two games. Davis was fourth on the depth chart in the preseason but has persevered and looks more comfortable after his first three NFL games.

Don't be surprised if the Rams wait until game day to announce their choice.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well I'm glad they got the memo. Wish it woulda been sent out before we played last Sunday. We can only blame ourselves, ROD. We must have been too excited about whipping dem Cowgirls and got lost in the glory of Rams football. It happens...

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I think its a combination of things that is hurting our defense right now.When Bradford went down I think the defense put too much pressure on themselves to keep the score down that's its having the opposite results thus far.I think the vanilla D they we're playing in preseason hurt the unit as well.They are young and learning a new defensive scheme and have had a couple of key injuries.Missed tackles and assignments will get better as they learn that new scheme and it wouldn't hurt if the refs stop calling all the BS calls against us or the non calls on the opposition constantly holding our defensive lineman

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
With this talent, how can the run D be this bad? Sorry but I have to put some of it on Williams. I think he tries to be too "smart" sometimes and while it looks great when it works...it looks horrible when it doesn't.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
4 man fronts, bring an extra DB or LB to bring the heat. Simple
We have a talented D line for a reason, why switch to 3 man front and bring in 2 others who just aren't as effective as a DL would be.
Let them hunt gregg.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With this talent, how can the run D be this bad? Sorry but I have to put some of it on Williams. I think he tries to be too "smart" sometimes and while it looks great when it works...it looks horrible when it doesn't.
I don't put it on Williams all that much. With a young team that's constantly in flux with new players and new coordinators, some stability has to come to the Rams in order for them to play in concert with each other. We also need these players to make the plays that are there for the taking. There's a ton of accountability to be had here. From the players, to the coaches, to the position coaches, but ultimately they just need to make plays (and not be screwed by the refs in the process).

When reading that article, a few things pop out that serve to mostly absolve Williams of the criticism. Namely:

"Gregg is an extremely smart, cerebral play caller," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "Heck, a lot of times there's been perfect play calls and we just don't execute.

"You're right there, you need those plays," defensive end Robert Quinn said. "They made them and we didn't."

"It's complex, but it's easier than some of the other schemes I've been in where there might be four calls on one play," Laurinaitis said. "As far as the grand scheme of things, he loves to allow you to see what you're doing and go play fast.

"Reduce the penalties? Well, we just get them to call penalties and not throw flags when there's no infraction," Fisher said. "That'll significantly reduce it."

Some of the situational playcalling might be questionable at times, but I challenge anyone to find any coordinator who doesn't throw out a head-scratcher from time to time. What this team needs right now, IMO, is a player-only meeting where they hold each other accountable.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't put it on Williams all that much. With a young team that's constantly in flux with new players and new coordinators, some stability has to come to the Rams in order for them to play in concert with each other. We also need these players to make the plays that are there for the taking. There's a ton of accountability to be had here. From the players, to the coaches, to the position coaches, but ultimately they just need to make plays (and not be screwed by the refs in the process).

When reading that article, a few things pop out that serve to mostly absolve Williams of the criticism. Namely:

Some of the situational playcalling might be questionable at times, but I challenge anyone to find any coordinator who doesn't throw out a head-scratcher from time to time. What this team needs right now, IMO, is a player-only meeting where they hold each other accountable.
Couldn't agree with you more. And your 'Pulled Quotes' draw a great picture of Team attitudes, and needs!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Are the players really buying what Williams is selling? I read that Jenkins was supposed to be Bryant' shadow the whole game. Yet he tried to jump another route thinking someone else would take Bryant. Was he being selfish thinking he could be the hero?

iced

Are the players really buying what Williams is selling? I read that Jenkins was supposed to be Bryant' shadow the whole game. Yet he tried to jump another route thinking someone else would take Bryant. Was he being selfish thinking he could be the hero?
Jenkins was playing his responsibility - which was to take the other receiver coming into his zone. Mccleod was supposed to take the deep crosser but jumper the shallower route, and didn't pick up Bryant when Jenkins handed him off to him.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Alec Ogletree whiffed on Tony Romo's 16-yard scramble
What this team needs right now, IMO, is a player-only meeting where they hold each other accountable.

The Captains need to shake Ogletree up now! That 'whiff' was HUGE. I thought this guy was going to be our next 'D' superstar to compliment Quinn. I'd settle for average play from him at this point.