Ram's Dead Cap Issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams now own the two biggest dead cap hits in NFL history

To say the Los Angeles Rams have made a few contractual mistakes in the last three years would be a major understatement. Their deals for Brandin Cooks, Todd Gurley and Jared Goff were costly when they were handed out, but now that none of the three players will be on the team in 2021, it looks significantly worse.

By agreeing to trade Goff to the Lions on Saturday night, the Rams will incur a dead cap charge of $22.2 million in 2021. That’s the largest single-season dead cap hit in NFL history, surpassing … Cooks’ of $21.8 million from last year.

Here are the five largest single-season dead cap hits taken on by a team in league history.

Dead Cap Hit Taken On by a Team

2021: J. Goff, LAR, $22.2M
2020: B. Cooks, LAR, $21.8M
2019: A. Brown, PIT, $21.2M
2021: M. Stafford, DET, $19M
2010: J. Russell, $18.9M

You’re probably wondering why Gurley’s name isn’t on that list after the Rams cut him last offseason, taking on a boatload of dead money. The reason is he was designated a post-June 1 cut, which spread his $20.15 million dead cap charge across the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

The Rams are paying for these contracts in a big way, severely limiting their flexibility in free agency. Had the Rams not signed Goff or Gurley to extensions, they could’ve moved on from both players without taking on any dead money.

But here they are paying both players to be on other teams because they chose to sign them much earlier than necessary.

Rams have two biggest dead cap hits in NFL histroy (usatoday.com)

The Ram's had $38,466,188 in dead cap last year and $30,792,097 so far this year.

Los Angeles Rams 2021 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And strangely enough it probably won't ever burn them. It will just mute their options a bit.

If this league and FA has taught me anything it's that I don't need to sweat the cap. :ROFLMAO:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
And strangely enough it probably won't ever burn them. It will just mute their options a bit.

If this league and FA has taught me anything it's that I don't need to sweat the cap. :ROFLMAO:

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I mostly agree about the cap. Then again, the limited cap is why we lost staffold. That was a huge loss in retrospect. Also not being able to address center and MiLB in FA.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure you can keep pushing the cap into the future and it works, that parts true. But when you burn $60mil in bad contracts that hurts. That's money you could have spent on good players.
You can manipulate the cap all you want, but that $60mil is gone.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Rams now own the two biggest dead cap hits in NFL history

To say the Los Angeles Rams have made a few contractual mistakes in the last three years would be a major understatement. Their deals for Brandin Cooks, Todd Gurley and Jared Goff were costly when they were handed out, but now that none of the three players will be on the team in 2021, it looks significantly worse.

By agreeing to trade Goff to the Lions on Saturday night, the Rams will incur a dead cap charge of $22.2 million in 2021. That’s the largest single-season dead cap hit in NFL history, surpassing … Cooks’ of $21.8 million from last year.

Here are the five largest single-season dead cap hits taken on by a team in league history.

Dead Cap Hit Taken On by a Team

2021: J. Goff, LAR, $22.2M
2020: B. Cooks, LAR, $21.8M
2019: A. Brown, PIT, $21.2M
2021: M. Stafford, DET, $19M
2010: J. Russell, $18.9M

You’re probably wondering why Gurley’s name isn’t on that list after the Rams cut him last offseason, taking on a boatload of dead money. The reason is he was designated a post-June 1 cut, which spread his $20.15 million dead cap charge across the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

The Rams are paying for these contracts in a big way, severely limiting their flexibility in free agency. Had the Rams not signed Goff or Gurley to extensions, they could’ve moved on from both players without taking on any dead money.

But here they are paying both players to be on other teams because they chose to sign them much earlier than necessary.

Rams have two biggest dead cap hits in NFL histroy (usatoday.com)

The Ram's had $38,466,188 in dead cap last year and $30,792,097 so far this year.

Los Angeles Rams 2021 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac
Does Kronke give a shit about this? It’s his money.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Does Kronke give a shit about this? It’s his money.
Well, Rams will be a serious Super Bowl contender when he gets to "truly" show off SoFi with plenty of Prime Time games and a packed house.

And as far as dead money goes, I don't believe that means he has to shell out more actual cash, it's just cap implications, for the most part.

Gotta think Kroenke is more than happy with McVay... Rams are truly relevant now, they'll get tons of exposure next year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And as far as dead money goes, I don't believe that means he has to shell out more actual cash, it's just cap implications, for the most part
Well, it’s kind of worse. It’s money he already paid out that essentially is going in the garbage can

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Makes my blood boil.
Not me.

When the Rams had plenty of money to spend (cuz no-one wanted to go there), and were stockpiling picks (cuz they sucked)... that made my blood boil.

Over the last four years, Rams have been super-aggressive and gone "All-in" several times. Usually it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Four winning records in four years. And yes, Rams will be in SB discussion for the next two years, and perhaps longer.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Every contract was about doing right by the organization and the players.

We keep going through this.

At the time of the contracts, they were large, but they also put it in the minds of players that they should want to come here. After getting to the Super Bowl in 2 years under McVay, the players STILL use the word, "Genius" to describe him.

Even if the Jets or Miami were paying out contracts like us, would ANYONE have called Adam Gase a genius???

Not even close.

The issue isn't the contracts. It's that after being aggressive with contracts, we had injuries. We could have done what everyone else does and just have a player stick around on a big contract...underperforming until it's cap friendly to ditch them... but the only mantra for the Rams is winning the right way.

Will it always be like this?

I don't think so. We may continue to devalue 1st rounders, but I think our contract situation clears up as we've learned the limits of aggressive contracts.

We're blazing new trails here and that's gonna come with stumbling blocks. Most times that happens, maintaining a level of excellence is difficult or impossible.

That's why this group is so special...

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Sure you can keep pushing the cap into the future and it works, that parts true. But when you burn $60mil in bad contracts that hurts. That's money you could have spent on good players.
You can manipulate the cap all you want, but that $60mil is gone.
Exactly. We could have used that cap money to keep Floyd, Johnson and others.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The issue isn't the contracts. It's that after being aggressive with contracts, we had injuries.
Disagree on this. Injuries were there for Gurley and Cooks before the contracts were signed and in the case of Cooks before we gave a 1st rounder for him.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29

our track record of draft picks between rounds 3 thru 6 has kept us with a steady stream of talented players we've developed into starters. When you do that, dead money is a temporary challenge

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Even if the Jets or Miami were paying out contracts like us, would ANYONE have called Adam Gase a genius???

If they give me half of what they've given a couple of these guys, I'll call Gase whatever the hell they want me to call him!