Rams' Davis continues to impress --Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Rams' Davis continues to impress

By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/2/1461071.html

Script a storybook ending by completing a late comeback in Philadelphia on Sunday, but the Rams’ young quarterback again put up some impressive numbers in the 34-28 loss.

Davis completed 29 of 49 passes for 375 yards and three touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 103.7. He also ran for 30 yards on three carries, giving him a total of 405 yards of total offense in the defeat.

“Overall, as I said after the game, very pleased with Austin at this point,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Monday at his weekly day-after press conference. “What he’s done the last few weeks, he’s continued to get better. We need to do a better job around him.”

After the Eagles pulled away in the second and third quarters, pushing their lead to 34-7, Davis rallied the Rams to a trio of touchdown drives over the final 17 minutes.

Benny Cunningham scored on a 14-yard run late in the third quarter and then Davis found Kenny Britt and Brian Quick for touchdown passes in the fourth to cut the deficit to 34-28.

Davis got the Rams to midfield on their final possession with a 43-yard pass to Quick and then a 2-yard pass to Cunningham, but then the St. Louis series stalled with two incomplete passes to Austin Pettis, a delay of game penalty and then an incomplete pass to Quick on fourth down with 42 seconds remaining.

The 25 year old had his share of struggles also — namely a pair of lost fumbles, one that stalled a potential scoring drive and another that led to a Philly defensive touchdown — but it’s safe to say that the quarterback performed well in his first start after Fisher named him the starter for the rest of the season.

Davis has done plenty to merit that kind of commitment in his four games, including three starts, since Shaun Hill was injured in the first half of the season opener against the Minnesota Vikings.

He has completed 67.8 percent of his passes for 1,129 yards, with 7.9 yards per attempt, to go along with six touchdowns against three interceptions, and a QB rating of 96.8.

Davis ranks fourth in the NFL in third-down quarterback rating (122.0), seventh in yards per attempt, eighth in completion percentage and 10th in quarterback rating.

In his three games as a starter, Davis has completed 67.5 percent of his passes for 937 yards (312.3 per game), 7.81 yards per attempt, six touchdowns against two interceptions, and a QB rating of 100.6.

Davis led the Rams to a come-from-behind win in Tampa in his first start and in his next two starts, at home against the Cowboys and on the road against the Eagles, he has put St. Louis in position to have a chance to win late in both games.

With Davis leading the way, the Rams (1-3) are now sixth in the NFL in passing yards per game (283.5) and eighth in offensive yardage per game (392.8).

They will need to continue to be good offensively with a rough stretch of games coming up against San Francisco (3-2) next Monday night, then against reigning Super Bowl champion Seattle (3-1) the following Sunday. After that, St. Louis goes on the road against Kansas City (2-3), San Francisco (3-2) again and then Arizona (3-1).

Fisher said Monday that he has seen signs of his team getting better.

“I think we’ve showed signs, we’re improving,” he said. “The guys are for the most part making plays, getting into position and Austin’s trusting them. He’s trusting the deep ball. He’s putting the ball down the field. We just need to be more consistent. We need to quit turning the football over. It’s hard to win games when you turn the football over like that.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Third down QB rating of 122... Wow. Just wow.

This is why I feel hope watching him play, and why I say I have not seen this offense control the ball and sustain drives like it does with him at QB in a long, long time.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
completed 67.8 percent of his passes for 1,129 yards, with 7.9 yards per attempt, to go along with six touchdowns against three interceptions, and a QB rating of 96.8.
Huh?

Davis ranks fourth in the NFL in third-down quarterback rating (122.0), seventh in yards per attempt, eighth in completion percentage and 10th in quarterback rating.
What?

completed 67.5 percent of his passes for 937 yards (312.3 per game), 7.81 yards per attempt, six touchdowns against two interceptions, and a QB rating of 100.6.
Come again?

sixth in the NFL in passing yards per game (283.5) and eighth in offensive yardage per game (392.8).
I just fainted.

nighttrain

Legend
Kudos to Davis and the offense, but where the hell is that vaunted Greg Williams defense?,

With this offensive display we should have a much better W-L record.
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The legend of Austin Davis grows....who was this Shaun Hill character?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
great numbers he's doing amazing. so let's not set up a fucking spread formation and leave him to get killed or overwhelm him trying to read all kinds off coverage and blitz packages. there's no reason! get your head out your ass coach! RUN THE BALL FIRST!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
BS! We all know your GLOATING, and we know why, Mr. ITYS!!;)
I may not be able to offer the kind of objective rational detailed analysis of football, like others here, but there are some things I seem to get intuitively ;)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
great numbers he's doing amazing. so let's not set up a freaking spread formation and leave him to get killed or overwhelm him trying to read all kinds off coverage and blitz packages. there's no reason! get your head out your ass coach! RUN THE BALL FIRST!
You have to take what your opponent gives you. Balance is always preferred! I like it when we pass on 1st down once in a while! But I do Love it when we're pounding the rock up-the middle, and they can't stop it!:D

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
You have to take what your opponent gives you. Balance is always preferred! I like it when we pass on 1st down once in a while! But I do Love it when we're pounding the rock up-the middle, and they can't stop it!:D
I love the air attack but I'm sure every fan was on their freet screaming WTF on that first 3 and out and on the other plays with zero protection for Davis

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm excited to be watching Austin Davis grow into a good QB. He is just what this team needed.

That said, I feel bad for Shaun Hill. I can empathize with a veteran who has waited patiently for his chance at the hero spot and gets cut out by the youngster thru circumstances beyond anyone's control. But, this is rightfully Davis's team now, and I have respect for Hill's professionalism and class for accepting that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I love the air attack but I'm sure every fan was on their freet screaming WTF on that first 3 and out and on the other plays with zero protection for Davis
I was late getting home for the game, pissed me off, and missed seeing the Rams 1st series. I'm sure I would have agreed! From what I saw after that, Davis could have sued the O-Line for none support after that! ( until they got their act together later anyway!)