Rams’ Danny Amendola could be handful for Bears

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY SEAN JENSEN
Chicago Sun Times
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football ... bears.html

[wrapimg=left]http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=KLct6EW95wzrt_RLgB33uc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsZSo$lgwlW2X6R3itL$5s5WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg[/wrapimg]When he headed to the locker room at halftime Sunday, St. Louis Rams receiver Danny Amendola only cared about two numbers: 21-16.

That was the score, and the Washington Redskins had the bigger number. He didn’t find out until after the game that he tied an NFL record with 12 first-half receptions.

“It wasn’t something I was worried about,” Amendola said. “It might have been a reporter who told me the numbers, and I was like, ‘That’s cool.’ ”

Undrafted out of Texas Tech in 2008, Amendola spent time on the practice squads of the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles before the Rams signed him to their active roster in 2009.

He caught 43 passes that season, then caught 85 for 689 yards in 2010. But he suffered a season-ending elbow injury in the 2011 opener.

Now he’s among the league leaders through two games, thanks to his 15-catch, 160-yard performance in the Rams’ 31-28 comeback win over the Redskins.

Asked why he has emerged, Amendola said, “I don’t know. All I can really control is just showing up to work every day and work hard and try to get better. I want to find a role on my team that I can fulfill.”

Amendola said a key was ensuring that 2011 wasn’t wasted just because he was injured.

“I got a chance to get in the film room and learn more about the game,” he said. “So it was an unfortunate situation to be out for the whole year, but it doesn’t mean I couldn’t get better.”

Bears nickel back D.J. Moore figures to match up with Amendola. Moore declined to comment Friday, but Amendola said he respects Moore.

“He’s instinctive, he’s quick. He looks like a good player,” Amendola said. “I’ve been studying him for a couple of days now. I’m impressed with the way he plays.”

Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher called Amendola a “good receiver” and noted that the Rams worked hard to get him the ball.

“You get him matched up with a ’backer or anyone with outside leverage and he’s going to run away from him,” Urlacher said. “They had a lot of play-action, a lot of motion, and he just got open. He caught seven balls in the first 10 or 12 plays.”

On Sunday, the Bears plan on Amendola not being so productive.

“Some games are different than others,” Urlacher said.

The key, of course, will be getting to Rams quarterback Sam Bradford.

“Whenever you’re throwing the ball for 300 yards, you’re throwing the ball a lot,” Bears linebacker Lance Briggs said. “There’s going to be opportunities for us to take the ball away. We have to get to the quarterback, and we have to be disciplined in the back seven.”

Speeps

Starter
I think the Bears will put a lot of focus on Danny Amendola, therefore, Sam and Schotty needs to be smart and use that to their advantage. I personally would use Amendola as a decoy to start the game and get Kendricks and other WR's involved. Force the Bears to account for everyone on the field, and then work Danny in the second half.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More quick outs/dumps to the running back/backs too with Danny being the decoy on the opposite side of field. Do that a few times and Danny will be open again in the "pick your poison" situation they will be facing. I think a new hero will emerge this week as receiver. Hey, what if this is the week Quick is used as the tall quick slant guy? The mystery of this offensive game plan is awesome. Felix the Cat and his bag of tricks this week for the Bears.

Speeps

Starter
RamsSince1969 said:
More quick outs/dumps to the running back/backs too with Danny being the decoy on the opposite side of field. Do that a few times and Danny will be open again in the "pick your poison" situation they will be facing. I think a new hero will emerge this week as receiver. Hey, what if this is the week Quick is used as the tall quick slant guy? The mystery of this offensive game plan is awesome. Felix the Cat and his bag of tricks this week for the Bears.
Unfortunately Quick is inactive today.