Rams D worst 3rd down percentage in NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The biggest disappointment for me so far is the defense.

Outside of the DL, it's been pretty bad. And the numbers confirm it.

Opposing offenses have converted 14 of 27 or 51.9% of their 3rd down plays. That is the worst in the NFL. That's just pathetic.

That's a question that someone needs to ask Fisher. What is he doing about that.

Last year they were 37.6%. That was ranked 13th. So they went from 13th to 32nd.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
max said:

Opposing offenses have converted 14 of 27 or 51.9% of their 3rd down plays. That is the worst in the NFL. That's just pathetic.

That's a question that someone needs to ask Fisher. What is he doing about that.

Last year they were 37.6%. That was ranked 13th. So they went from 13th to 32nd.
Where was this number after the first 2 games. I prefer to know that number to 2 games vs an entire season

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rabid Ram said:
max said:

Where was this number after the first 2 games. I prefer to know that number to 2 games vs an entire season

Last year opposing offenses, after two games, were 8-22 on third downs (Lions, Redskins). 36%.

And max, can you ease up on the "pathetic" talk so there can be some dialogue that stems from your posts instead of instant repulsion? Worst in the NFL is an adequate summation at this point. Thanks dude.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rabid Ram said:
max said:

After 2 games last year the Rams D was 8 of 22 or 36.3%. Much better than this year.

My main point is that there is so much focus on the offense, and the defense has really sucked. It's really the biggest problem right now.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
Rabid Ram said:
max said:

Last year opposing offenses, after two games, were 8-22 on third downs (Lions, Redskins). 36%.

And max, can you ease up on the "pathetic" talk so there can be some dialogue that stems from your posts instead of instant repulsion? Worst in the NFL is an adequate summation at this point. Thanks dude.

Sorry.

Hey, you know me. I get overly emotional at times. I don't mean anything nasty about it. I just vent on the keyboard.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:
Rabid Ram said:
max said:

Sorry.

Hey, you know me. I get overly emotional at times. I don't mean anything nasty about it. I just vent on the keyboard.
I know, man. I know.

I just want you to get the feedback you want and not emotionally driven responses instead.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
X said:
Rabid Ram said:
max said:

I actually thought this was a fairly good observation just felt there could be closer comparisons. Thanx for the numbers there is a fair bit of difference. I think the biggest difference is the scheme we are running to protect the rooks I cant prove that just a thought

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I do think it's not really acceptable, gonna have to fix that and we did second half last week so mebee we've turned a corner .

We all heard all the injury talk last weekend and JMO all it did was make Ryans job easier, Julio was goin to be open so he didn't need to waste time.
BTW a Falcon fan sent us a heads up about that slot rec. dose Walton not read this forum :what: ?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rabid Ram said:
X said:
Rabid Ram said:
max said:

I actually thought this was a fairly good observation just felt there could be closer comparisons. Thanx for the numbers there is a fair bit of difference. I think the biggest difference is the scheme we are running to protect the rooks I cant prove that just a thought

Oh it definitely was a good observation. It made me look shit up, and I love doing that. lol. Kinda surprised that last year the 3rd down conversion rate for opposing offenses being so low to start the season wasn't an anomaly. It actually carried through all the way to the end.

I think we've all seen (and been disgusted by) how easily it is for teams to move the ball between the 20's against our defense so far this year. While we do tighten up considerably in the redzone, that's just not going to be enough. Mainly because if we DO force a 4th down beyond the 50 (ours), then we're always going to be pinned back with lousy starting field position.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The thing that got to me the most was that there has been so much clamoring over the offense. Bradford, check downs, the RBs, Saffold, Quick, Tavon, Shotty, etc, etc, and so forth. And even all the beat reporters focusing on that same thing. Also, all the audio clips are mostly guys talking about how to fix the offense.

So I am just astounded that all these guys who get paid to talk Rams weren't aware of how bad the 3rd down performance of the defense has been.

Fisher is sitting in Buffalo Wild Wings answering the same questions about check downs a zillion times. My guess is that he knows the much bigger problem is the defense and he is just shaking his head at everyone not getting it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let's not forget that ATL's offense has a lot to do with the poor percentage at the moment. Tough group.

Especially when you factor in the blatant offensive pass interferences that gonzalez is allowed to get away with on 3rd downs.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
max said:
The thing that got to me the most was that there has been so much clamoring over the offense. Bradford, check downs, the RBs, Saffold, Quick, Tavon, Shotty, etc, etc, and so forth. And even all the beat reporters focusing on that same thing. Also, all the audio clips are mostly guys talking about how to fix the offense.

So I am just astounded that all these guys who get paid to talk Rams weren't aware of how bad the 3rd down performance of the defense has been.

Fisher is sitting in Buffalo Wild Wings answering the same questions about check downs a zillion times. My guess is that he knows the much bigger problem is the defense and he is just shaking his head at everyone not getting it.
Yeah, a lot to agree with there max ,same old story offense sells the seats but defense STILL wins championships it's just that holding people under 20 is now a good defensive effort when it used to be single digits.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
max said:

I also think we are playing way too far off opposing WR at the line of scrimmage.
That can't be helping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

fearsomefour

Legend
I just wonder if some of it is by design, at least early in the year. Two young safeties, not wanting to give up quick big play scores. Try to hold them to 3 and let the improved O score enough to win. This would also speak to counting on the D line making plays in the passing game, which outside of Quinn, has not happened a ton.
I would not have an issue if this was the approach....but, if this is the approach it takes the bad play by Jenkins last week a REALLY bad one. Worst of both scenarios. I have nothing to base this on other than a hunch. We will see if the D changes and gets more aggressive as the season progresses.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
fearsomefour said:
I just wonder if some of it is by design, at least early in the year. Two young safeties, not wanting to give up quick big play scores. Try to hold them to 3 and let the improved O score enough to win. This would also speak to counting on the D line making plays in the passing game, which outside of Quinn, has not happened a ton.
I would not have an issue if this was the approach....but, if this is the approach it takes the bad play by Jenkins last week a REALLY bad one. Worst of both scenarios. I have nothing to base this on other than a hunch. We will see if the D changes and gets more aggressive as the season progresses.
SOrta like how they protected Sam his first year?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Rambitious1 said:
max said:

I also think we are playing way too far off opposing WR at the line of scrimmage.
That can't be helping.

You are on the money right there. Ad if they give those same 10 yard cushions to the Cowboys Romo will put up 35 points. They have to get that changed this week. These are dangerous WRs they are facing and being on the road doesn't help either.

V3

Hall of Fame
Selassie I said:
Let's not forget that ATL's offense has a lot to do with the poor percentage at the moment. Tough group.

Especially when you factor in the blatant offensive pass interferences that gonzalez is allowed to get away with on 3rd downs.

I don't buy that for a second. That's an excuse in my book. White was a decoy- a non-factor. He couldn't do a thing due to injury. The Falcons had ZERO running game. Gonzales was accounted for. That left Jones, who everyone knows is one of the best in the game and the Rams decide to only put one guy on him. Add in the fact that the DB's gave the WRs a 10 yard cushion and it negates any pass rush the Rams tried.

The coaching has failed miserably on defense this year. For all the crap the offense is getting, it's the defense that should be getting the biggest scrutiny. Coach Venturi echoed what I've been screaming this morning on the radio. It's beyond frustrating and you can say I'm just some random internet guy that doesn't know much but you can't deny Venturi's knowledge. I'll see if I can find the audio once it's posted. It's worth a listen.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
LesBaker said:
Rambitious1 said:
max said:

That can't be helping.

You are on the money right there. Ad if they give those same 10 yard cushions to the Cowboys Romo will put up 35 points. They have to get that changed this week. These are dangerous WRs they are facing and being on the road doesn't help either.

Fisher has an interesting dilemma. He doesn't want to play the hurry up offense yet he is playing so far off WRs that they are moving the ball easily. You can't slow down the game with your offense if your defense is giving all that cushion and and offenses are converting 3rd downs at will.

Sure, Fisher would like to get a lead in the game and run the ball. But thats not gonna happen with the way his defense is playing.

Fisher has 3 choices:
1. Run the hurry up with Bradford, who does it well.
2. Clamp down on the WRs and stop giving up easy completions.
3. Resign himself to losing a lot of games.

iced

Interestingly enough, we were better on 3rd down vs the Falcons then the Cardinals.

Falcons were 41%, Cards were 50%..

either way, still terrible.

I think a lot of it has to do with the soft zones and cushions we give up on 2nd down - those quick short completions make it 3rd and short

RamzFanz

Damnit
V3 said:
I don't buy that for a second. That's an excuse in my book. White was a decoy- a non-factor. He couldn't do a thing due to injury. The Falcons had ZERO running game. Gonzales was accounted for. That left Jones, who everyone knows is one of the best in the game and the Rams decide to only put one guy on him. Add in the fact that the DB's gave the WRs a 10 yard cushion and it negates any pass rush the Rams tried.

The coaching has failed miserably on defense this year. For all the crap the offense is getting, it's the defense that should be getting the biggest scrutiny. Coach Venturi echoed what I've been screaming this morning on the radio. It's beyond frustrating and you can say I'm just some random internet guy that doesn't know much but you can't deny Venturi's knowledge. I'll see if I can find the audio once it's posted. It's worth a listen.

THAT

You put Jones on the ground. You make him scared. Throw him off his route. Blanket him. There are many ways to stop a top receiver with Jenkins and a hard ass hitting safety over the top.

If the Rams had done these things, completely different game. JMHO

On the other hand, I LOVE what the Rams have to offer this season! If I didn't, I wouldn't care so much. This is a great shot to join the Niners and Hawks for the battle of the NFCW but we can't give up winnable games.