Rams' D-linemen respond to Coach Jeff Fisher's challenge

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' defensive linemen respond to Coach Jeff Fisher's challenge

By Gary Klein

[www.latimes.com]

The Rams’ defensive line is supposed to be the team’s strength, a cornerstone for a unit that must be stout as the offense seeks to develop an identity beyond running back Todd Gurley.

So defensive tackle Aaron Donald took Coach Jeff Fisher’s words as a challenge.

After the Rams’ exhibition opener against the Dallas Cowboys, Fisher said his team was not ready to play run defense and that it would be a focus of attention this week in practice.

“It’s a challenge to us,” Donald said after Tuesday’s workout. “We have to improve our game.

“We had mistakes, but that’s part of the game. . . . That’s just going to motivate us to work harder.”

Donald, a two-time Pro Bowl player, leads a line that features tackle Michael Brockers and ends William Hayes and Robert Quinn.

Quinn was absent from practice Tuesday because he was in Brazil to watch his sister compete in the Olympics, Fisher said.

Jasmine Camacho-Quinn attends Kentucky and won the NCAA 100-meter hurdles title. She is competing for Puerto Rico in the Rio de Janeiro Games.

Fisher said Quinn approached him during the summer about the possibility of leaving camp for the Olympics.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Fisher said, adding, “It’s a really a neat thing for Rob and his family. It’s the right thing to do to let him go down there.”

Quinn, a Pro Bowl pick in 2013 and 2014, is coming off back surgery and did not play against the Cowboys. But Fisher said he expected Quinn would play on Saturday night against the Kansas City Chiefs, “unless he has some flight issues.”

Donald said he was looking forward to playing the Chiefs after feeling “a little rusty” against the Cowboys.

“The speed of the game was a little different, but that’s part of the preseason — to get yourself ready,” he said. “It’s not going to be perfect. You want room for improvement, so that’s a good thing.”

Learning curve

Quarterback Jared Goff had a bit of a rough day.

The rookie had a pass intercepted by defensive back Marcus Roberson during seven-on-seven drills. Cornerback Lamarcus Joyner also picked off a pass during a team drill but the play appeared to have ended before the pass was thrown.

Goff also had a few snap-exchange challenges and tripped and fell.

“He had a couple issues out here today that he learns from,” Fisher said.

Most of Goff’s work came with the second-team offense. He did take one first-team series, and Fisher has said it was “quite likely” he would take first-team snaps against the Chiefs.

Making a run

Gurley is the star running back, Benny Cunningham his backup.

With Tre Mason absent from camp and his status in limbo, Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green and Terrence Magee are competing for roles.

Brown, a second-year pro from Texas, rushed for a team-best 66 yards in eight carries against the Cowboys.

“It’s only one game,” he said, “so I just have to stay consistent with it.”

The 5-foot-11, 224-pound Brown aims to contribute carrying and catching the ball, in pass protection and on special teams.

His said his confidence has grown since his rookie season.

“It’s crazy what confidence can do,” he said. “I feel like confidence is something I definitely have now as opposed to last year.”

Quick hits

Linebacker Mark Barron and safety Maurice Alexander did not practice. Fisher said they were held out to give them a day off. “Nothing to be concerned with,” he said. Offensive tackle Rob Havenstein remains sidelined because of a foot injury. Fisher said “we’re just waiting.” . . . . Rookie receiver Michael Thomas, who has dropped several passes during camp, caught a long touchdown pass from quarterback Case Keenum. . . . Cornerback E.J. Gaines, sidelined last week because of a hamstring issue, took a few snaps with the first-team defense and had good coverage on a deep sideline pass to Kenny Britt that fell incomplete. . . . Tight end Temarrick Hemingway made several nice catches for the second day in a row. . . . The Rams practice Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. Running backs and wide receivers will sign autographs afterward.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good for Temarrick Hemingway maybe the light is beginning to come on.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cornerback E.J. Gaines, sidelined last week because of a hamstring issue, took a few snaps with the first-team defense and had good coverage on a deep sideline pass to Kenny Britt that fell incomplete. . . . Tight end Temarrick Hemingway made several nice catches for the second day in a row.
Thanks for posting this d-t-c...LATimes want's me to register/pay for content after 4 courtesy views...wtf?!? Anyhoots
First the D-Line...I thought something was wrong with them....Seriously..Esp. Hayes & Sims...Copeland looked pretty bad as a DT too...Hell, I guess they DO have the best O-Line in the league...Brockers was the only one getting double teamed on a regular.
Love hearing EJ is back..now I want him to take it easy....We see what Sensabaugh is like...Joyner better get a pick every practice. I see Sensabaugh going outside on 3rd down...EJ going to the slot.

Hemingway is a player man....Justice Cunningham has seriously raised his game, and Harkey ( my old homie's cousin) seems like some kind of leader...Interesting to see how this shakes out...do you keep 4-5 TE's? I'd rather have Harkey & Cunningham as wedge-busters on kickoff over Hagar & Lynch...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for posting this d-t-c...LATimes want's me to register/pay for content after 4 courtesy views...wtf?!?

Just open an incognito window in chrome and you can read to your hearts delight...You know like in Richie Incognito.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Our starting DE's of Sims & Hayes would seem to be working without pass rush abilities. They are long gone....they will not return. Its time to begin to find some pass rushers on the outside.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just open an incognito window in chrome and you can read to your hearts delight...You know like in Richie Incognito.

I use a script blocker on my browser and use it on the LA Times site. Can't stand not having it now that I'm used to being able to block annoying BS on certain sites.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Even though Williams was calling his usual Pre-Season Vanilla "D" neither Fisher or Williams seemed too overly pleased with their performance!!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Even though Williams was calling his usual Pre-Season Vanilla "D" neither Fisher or Williams seemed too overly pleased with their performance!!
When they run their "Vanilla" playbook, players should be relying on their technique and fundamentals more than anything. If our guys are fundamentally sound in their technique they should never get put into a bad position in most cases. Technique also makes up for those who have less athletic ability too. I can see why these guys were upset. We have way too much talent to be playing poorly. If guys are only going to rely on their athletic abilities we will continue to struggle. Fundamentals and technique go hand-in-hand. It doesn't hurt to have a bunch of athleticism too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's one thing to call vanilla plays defensively. But when tackling and gap assignments are blown badly and they aren't getting in and out of the huddle like professionals they'll pay the price in the next practice.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's one thing to call vanilla plays defensively. But when tackling and gap assignments are blown badly and they aren't getting in and out of the huddle like professionals they'll pay the price in the next practice.
Yeah for sure, I actually thought the defense just looked slow in every aspect. Slow to read, pursue and soft to tackle. Sounds like Aaron Donald echoes my view with his "speed of the game" remark. .
I have alot of faith in GW getting his squad ready to roll when it counts.