Rams'"D" had some first occur yesterday @ OLB'er

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh?? I'd like to see something that proves this bc I've always thought Quinn was our weak link on the DL vs the run. Watched every game Quinn has basically ever played for the Rams. In our 43 when Quinn was actually a good player, I saw him as the worst run defrnder on our DL. I guess that imo..

Quinn job in both of these defenses are to contain the edge and force runs into the inside.
When he was playing in the 4-3 he made a lot of plays on the edge stuffing runs making the runners go to the middle that’s one of the reasons why Long and Donald was getting so many pressures and hits because Quinn was forcing the action the other way. Sometimes you have to look beyond stats to see the bigger picture.

Before Quinn illness he was rated in the top 5 of OLb in run defense. How many times have we actually gotten beat on a stretch play that went to Quinn side all the big runs has been up the middle

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Huh?? I'd like to see something that proves this bc I've always thought Quinn was our weak link on the DL vs the run. Watched every game Quinn has basically ever played for the Rams. In our 43 when Quinn was actually a good player, I saw him as the worst run defrnder on our DL. I guess that imo..
I of course would agree with you 100% here.

I have posted on several games play by play of what the 2017 version Quinn has done after members here have disagreed with me, none have responded to the factual game results which I posted & which do produce evidence that does not favor Quinn. The only piece of evidence that can enters the Quinn conversations is the so called QB pressure stats that are out there but cloaked. I am glad Quinn has a few QB pressures to talk about but we are discussing run defense here. Not sure why pressuring a QB's is suppose to mean something when the RB has the ball. Quinn is not being chipped nor is he being doubled teamed on a regular basis as some have suggested. Many times Quinn is left ot a TE or RB as his assigned blocker not a OT.

When you have a starting LB'er who has less tackles than 5 reserve defensive players & 2 (Alexander/Davis) are no longer on the active teams that says about all you need to say. LB 'er Quinn has only 9 tackles LB'ers Barron has 56 solo's & Ogletree has 41 solo's. Brockers has 29 tacks & Trumaine a CB has 31 solo's.Quinn's back up LB Longacre has 18 total with 12 solo's & 4 sacks. Barwin has 24 combo's 20 solo's & 4 sacks. If you want to tick off the Quinn minions a little more just remind then that Quinn will be the highest paid Ram in 2018. Then they will attack the salary cap cost points as meaningless.

If you want to improve this run defense (which is a big issue) ....then getting improvement & better productivity from the weakest producing LB'ing (Robert Quinn) post would be the best place to start. Wade should move on @ this point with Barwin & Longacre getting most of the starting action in the OSLB'ing post with Samson Ebukam being promoted as the first reserve for both these posts. You might still utilize Quinn in the passing defense front 4 down linemen @ times but from what I seen Barwin & Longacre have out produced Quinn. Oh by the way the last sack by Quinn came back on October 8th ....bottom line Quinn is not getting it done period. Ebukam is the future.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Far earlier in his career was Quinn a more balanced player, but more recently he's reminded me of Leonard Little's results and how he devolved as a run defender. Quinn still looks fast, so I can't say he's lost a step yet, although he was a different player prior to injury, ... his approach was very different than Little, not only coming from the other side, but Quinn could split the gap between the opposing OG and OT and apply pressure while Little would simply run around in a big loop and beat the OT from the outside. Both methods seem to be more easily read by the offense allowing for rushers to get outside in Quinn's world and inside in Leonard Little's. Comparing these two players isn't about their style, but more about becoming one-trick ponies with basically a single move which they rely on and over time becomes much less effective as offenses learn how to read them. Sure, we can blame LB'ers for not picking up the pieces, although with Quinn, his numbers have fallen in sacks, pressures and defending against the rush. Enter a player like Longacre, whom for the sake of this argument, I will compare more to Leonard Little's eventual replacement in Chris Long, not flashy or having elite speed, but a more balanced player who could better disrupt an entire offense including RB before or at the L.O.S. Chris Long sacrificed sacks for balance, and while fans love the sack artist, balance is often better for the team as a whole. Quinn and Little lose value when production doesn't match payroll, and formerly elite players sometimes have trouble accepting diminished skills. Unfortunately, pride can keep players from taking a secondary role, or in these cases, 'taking one for the team'. There could still be a place for Quinn on this team as a situational player, but that requires slashing his salary drastically, and how often is that an acceptable remedy for the player ?
jmo.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Quinn is still better at containing the run than anyone else the Rams have behind him. glad he's starting vs the Vikes.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Barwin was out (Knee) and Longacre was limited (Back) in Thursday's practice, so we might see a lot of Quinn and Ebukam on sunday.