Rams'"D" had some first occur yesterday @ OLB'er

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yesterdays game the defense was without OSLB'er Robert Quinn due to being inactive for the first time this season. This caused other firsts for a few Rams. Matt Longacre got his first start in 3 seasons. Matt Longacre also got his first fumble recovery which led to the Rams first points Sunday.

In addition OSLB'er Samson Ebukam saw considerable amount of action too. Thus Samson got his first sack of the season. Plus Samson forced his first forced fumble! The Rams 5th OSLB'er Ejuan Price was activated for the first time of the 2017 season. I would hope that rookie 4th round selection Samson Ebukam should see much more action as this season continues. @ the same time I could care less if I see Rob Quinn again unless there is an injury..
Nice to se all these none starters get some time on the field. It will definitely help our D rotation as the season goes on! I really like Ebukam, and I have high hopes for Price!
Don't count Quinn out so easily, stats wise he not having a bad season so far!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I call him Eeee-bu- Camm.....if that makes sense. LOL

Samson is easier....and sounds better:cool:
1zbyr6.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Ebukam-Gets-First-Sack-in-Sunday%E2%80%99s-Rout-Over-Texans/b970514b-05e4-491e-8e41-ac95e75efcee

Ebukam Gets First Sack in Sunday’s Rout Over Texans
Kristen Lago/Rams Writer/Reporter

samson_ebukam_card.jpg

Los Angeles Rams

As has become the trend this season, the Rams 2017 draft class continues to produce on Sundays. While plenty of Los Angeles’ first-year players have made significant contributions on field this season, in Week 10 it was rookie outside linebacker Samson Ebukam’s turn to make an impact.

Ebukam recorded one of four defensive takeaways during Sunday’s game — a sack-fumble on quarterback Tom Savage that led to a Rams touchdown that made the score 30-7.

“That was big time,” head coach Sean McVay said on Monday. “I think these guys have done a great job getting a little bit more time in these last handful of weeks [and] Samson is a guy that continues to demonstrate why we liked him so much coming out of college.”

On 1st-and-10 from Houston’s 25-yard line, Ebukam was left unblocked by the Texans’ offensive line. The Eastern Washington product rushed in from the offense’s right and plowed into Savage, knocking him down for his first career sack.

Ebukam said he “didn’t even know he had forced the fumble.” All he knew was that when left open, it was time to attack.

“I just took off,” he said with a laugh postgame. “I felt him hit my head, but I didn’t know that he actually fumbled the ball.”

But once defensive tackle Tyrunn Walker recovered the football, the linebacker said it was time to celebrate.

“I was just excited, honestly,” Ebukam said. “Everybody got hyped, the whole crowd got hyped and I was just like, ‘Wow, all this hard work I have been putting in, it’s finally paying off somehow.’”

And that hard work has not gone unnoticed. McVay has praised Ebukam’s work ethic and pass-rushing ability throughout the season, expressing confidence in the young player’s potential.

“He is explosive, he can play in space,” he said. “You see how quickly he closes into Savage when he forces that fumble. He made a handful of plays on special teams as well — a big block that sprung Pharoh Cooper down the sidelines.”

“So, Samson is doing a lot of really good things,” McVay continued. “It’s exciting to see guys like that make some big plays later on in the game and it ended up being very important for us.”

Earlier this year, Ebukam said the goal for his rookie season was to make the most of the snaps he gets “on the scout team, special teams, or on defense.” While he hasn’t had quite as many opportunities to play in the outside linebacker position — behind both Robert Quinn and Connor Barwin — this weekend, he saw extended action in part because Quinn was out with an illness.

And though many fans and coaches were impressed with his performance in Week 10, Ebukam remained unsatisfied with his contributions.

“I made one play today, but hopefully I can get more plays,” Ebukam said. “There are definitely still things to work on, because there were a couple plays where I had to communicate better with the linebackers and the D-ends. But every day it’s just a step towards the right path and right now I’m trying to chip away at what I got.”

The rookie is hopeful that by capitalizing on opportunities like the one he received on Sunday, he will be able to make an even bigger impact in the future.

“Definitely the playbook still,” Ebukam said of what he wants to work on, “and just being able to play without thinking. Right now, every now and then I’m thinking about it pre-snap, but I want to get to the point where it just clicks. And once that happens, I can play better and faster.”

Psycho_X

Legend
Have they said anymore about this "illness" Quinn had? Just seems really weird to have a veteran starter not play but be on the sideline, seemingly fine, due to illness. Unless it was just the worst case of the flu all week long and he was just that dehydrated and tired they didn't want to push it. But curious to see if he is full go this week. This isn't the first time he's mysteriously been mia due to illness over the years.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Ebukam-Gets-First-Sack-in-Sunday%E2%80%99s-Rout-Over-Texans/b970514b-05e4-491e-8e41-ac95e75efcee

Ebukam Gets First Sack in Sunday’s Rout Over Texans
Kristen Lago/Rams Writer/Reporter

samson_ebukam_card.jpg

Los Angeles Rams

As has become the trend this season, the Rams 2017 draft class continues to produce on Sundays. While plenty of Los Angeles’ first-year players have made significant contributions on field this season, in Week 10 it was rookie outside linebacker Samson Ebukam’s turn to make an impact.

Ebukam recorded one of four defensive takeaways during Sunday’s game — a sack-fumble on quarterback Tom Savage that led to a Rams touchdown that made the score 30-7.

“That was big time,” head coach Sean McVay said on Monday. “I think these guys have done a great job getting a little bit more time in these last handful of weeks [and] Samson is a guy that continues to demonstrate why we liked him so much coming out of college.”

On 1st-and-10 from Houston’s 25-yard line, Ebukam was left unblocked by the Texans’ offensive line. The Eastern Washington product rushed in from the offense’s right and plowed into Savage, knocking him down for his first career sack.

Ebukam said he “didn’t even know he had forced the fumble.” All he knew was that when left open, it was time to attack.

“I just took off,” he said with a laugh postgame. “I felt him hit my head, but I didn’t know that he actually fumbled the ball.”

But once defensive tackle Tyrunn Walker recovered the football, the linebacker said it was time to celebrate.

“I was just excited, honestly,” Ebukam said. “Everybody got hyped, the whole crowd got hyped and I was just like, ‘Wow, all this hard work I have been putting in, it’s finally paying off somehow.’”

And that hard work has not gone unnoticed. McVay has praised Ebukam’s work ethic and pass-rushing ability throughout the season, expressing confidence in the young player’s potential.

“He is explosive, he can play in space,” he said. “You see how quickly he closes into Savage when he forces that fumble. He made a handful of plays on special teams as well — a big block that sprung Pharoh Cooper down the sidelines.”

“So, Samson is doing a lot of really good things,” McVay continued. “It’s exciting to see guys like that make some big plays later on in the game and it ended up being very important for us.”

Earlier this year, Ebukam said the goal for his rookie season was to make the most of the snaps he gets “on the scout team, special teams, or on defense.” While he hasn’t had quite as many opportunities to play in the outside linebacker position — behind both Robert Quinn and Connor Barwin — this weekend, he saw extended action in part because Quinn was out with an illness.

And though many fans and coaches were impressed with his performance in Week 10, Ebukam remained unsatisfied with his contributions.

“I made one play today, but hopefully I can get more plays,” Ebukam said. “There are definitely still things to work on, because there were a couple plays where I had to communicate better with the linebackers and the D-ends. But every day it’s just a step towards the right path and right now I’m trying to chip away at what I got.”

The rookie is hopeful that by capitalizing on opportunities like the one he received on Sunday, he will be able to make an even bigger impact in the future.

“Definitely the playbook still,” Ebukam said of what he wants to work on, “and just being able to play without thinking. Right now, every now and then I’m thinking about it pre-snap, but I want to get to the point where it just clicks. And once that happens, I can play better and faster.”

2 plays
Ebukam also killed that guy on special teams during that Cooper punt return

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Have they said anymore about this "illness" Quinn had? Just seems really weird to have a veteran starter not play but be on the sideline, seemingly fine, due to illness. Unless it was just the worst case of the flu all week long and he was just that dehydrated and tired they didn't want to push it. But curious to see if he is full go this week. This isn't the first time he's mysteriously been mia due to illness over the years.

Hope it has nothing to do with the benign brain tumor he had removed during his college years.

Psycho_X

Legend
Hope it has nothing to do with the benign brain tumor he had removed during his college years.

Yeah that's the worst case scenario in my mind. Especially after he missed the end of last season due to some issues such as dizziness I think. Hopefully it's just my worrisome nature getting the better of me.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Samson looked good...hungry even. Longacre looks to have plateaued.....not even generating his old pressures....Price looked timid....and much too small....first game, he gets a pass...but not impressed at all.

Only one of them looked like a suitable replacement for Quinn.

I'm starting to like Barwin more.

I think anyone can play on a D-Line with Donald...and AD is starting to look irreplaceable.

First - why did Quinn not play ? Did he still hold his fist up ?

Morgan Fox anyone ? He shifts sides as well as Westbrooks was on the right side from left side at times ?

Smart & Walker are holding up well at DT . They are both new players as well.

—Brockers is underrated & his move to DE made a huge difference.

—Donald was ask about was it different when he came.He said totally. The mind set & the way they were coached. Team meetings players were focused.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Interesting. Never even thought of that. Doubt it though.

Veterans Day & team unity. Team first. We not me ??

He has looked lost out there as well.He is a one step Pony. Same bull rush.

—Weird thing watching him play is that his change of direction is horrible. He is so freaking fast & Athletic moving forward. Suprises me how he has trouble even in coverage. He lost weight & my thoughts were he would be able to play the 3/4 LBer with no problems. Longacre is just ferocious

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Doesn't Quinn still have the tumor? They left it in cause it's benign?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-quinn-fisher-20161114-story.html

November/2016

Quinn, 26, admitted himself to the hospital a day after he made one tackle and batted down a pass in a 9-6 victory over the New York Jets at East Rutherford, N.J.

Quinn appeared to be fine on the bus ride from the airport to the team facility in Thousand Oaks after the Rams arrived in Los Angeles on Sunday night, Fisher said. Quinn sat behind the coach on the bus and they reviewed clips from the game, Fisher said.

“Something happened between the time we got back … and [Monday] morning,” Fisher said.

In high school, Quinn was diagnosed with a dime-sized brain tumor that remains at the top of his spinal cavity. He said in September that he is tested for the condition about twice a year and has not experienced any issues.

fearsomefour

Legend
Quinn, Longacre, and Ebukam each have their situational benefits depending on what the defense is being asked to do. I think Phillips knows not to force young guys like Ebukam and Price out there before they are ready, especially in pressure situations when experience counts most.
And I think he put Ebukan is positions where his role was "pin your ears back and attack".
A young, fresh fast guy coming off the edge.
He had an impact in limited snaps.
That rotation is so key.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Veterans Day & team unity. Team first. We not me ??

He has looked lost out there as well.He is a one step Pony. Same bull rush.

—Weird thing watching him play is that his change of direction is horrible. He is so freaking fast & Athletic moving forward. Suprises me how he has trouble even in coverage. He lost weight & my thoughts were he would be able to play the 3/4 LBer with no problems. Longacre is just ferocious
One trick pony now. Plain simple nothing more than that.

ausmurp

Starter
Quinn has always been one of the better run defending DE in the league. And him playing OLb for the first time he started to get considerably better at it

Huh?? I'd like to see something that proves this bc I've always thought Quinn was our weak link on the DL vs the run. Watched every game Quinn has basically ever played for the Rams. In our 43 when Quinn was actually a good player, I saw him as the worst run defrnder on our DL. I guess that imo..