Rams Current Secondary Unit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Our DB unit appears to look UN usually weak/thin at the moment in 2 areas. Outside corner posts & deep safety depth.

Last season we had 6 corners now we have 5. We lost 3 Jenkins-Patterson & Roberson & added 2 Sensabaugh & Gaines (Gaines is out with nagging TC & pre season injuries). We have added two DB's with versatility to play multiple DB posts to the Practice Squad in UDFA Michael Jordan & ex Eagle Blake Countess.

The general specific skill set of these five CB's appears to be two Nickle & Dime backs in Joyner & Sensabaugh with 3 outside corners being Johnson-Hill & Gaines. Hill has yet to play in a Ram regular season game. Troy Hill did dress for 3 games for CIN, but did not for NE Pats. Fisher did make special mention of Troy Hill press conference.

Gregg Williams has 3 strong safeties in Barron-McDonald & Alexander so we look nice & beefy in this position thus we saw the release of Strong Safety CB Bryant. Veteran Cody Davis is the only bona fide true deep safety on the roster. I have mentioned this often that we need to not forget nickle back Lamarcus Joyner versatility to be able to play in this deep safety role too. Go back & review some of the late 2015 season games to see where pre snap Rodney & Lamarcus would quicky flip roles where Rod would play the Nickle & the 5-8 Lamar would drop deep it proved successful placing the taller 5-11 & longer armed Rodney to cover the taller slot receivers giving Lamar issues.

Right now until EJ Gaines gets healthy we are super thin with good outside corners. Lets hope the safeties & DL pass rush can make up for what I see as in a weakened state until Gaines returns. But then Troy Hill make be the real deal:sneaky:;). Anyone see it in a much different way?:bueller:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Our DB unit appears to look UN usually weak/thin at the moment in 2 areas. Outside corner posts & deep safety depth.

Last season we had 6 corners now we have 5. We lost 3 Jenkins-Patterson & Roberson & added 2 Sensabaugh & Gaines (Gaines is out with nagging TC & pre season injuries). We have added two DB's with versatility to play multiple DB posts to the Practice Squad in UDFA Michael Jordan & ex Eagle Blake Countess.

The general specific skill set of these five CB's appears to be two Nickle & Dime backs in Joyner & Sensabaugh with 3 outside corners being Johnson-Hill & Gaines. Hill has yet to play in a Ram regular season game. Troy Hill did dress for 3 games for CIN, but did not for NE Pats. Fisher did make special mention of Troy Hill press conference.

Gregg Williams has 3 strong safeties in Barron-McDonald & Alexander so we look nice & beefy in this position thus we saw the release of Strong Safety CB Bryant. Veteran Cody Davis is the only bona fide true deep safety on the roster. I have mentioned this often that we need to not forget nickle back Lamarcus Joyner versatility to be able to play in this deep safety role too. Go back & review some of the late 2015 season games to see where pre snap Rodney & Lamarcus would quicky flip roles where Rod would play the Nickle & the 5-8 Lamar would drop deep it proved successful placing the taller 5-11 & longer armed Rodney to cover the taller slot receivers giving Lamar issues.

Right now until EJ Gaines gets healthy we are super thin with good outside corners. Lets hope the safeties & DL pass rush can make up for what I see as in a weakened state until Gaines returns. But then Troy Hill make be the real deal:sneaky:;). Anyone see it in a much different way?:bueller:
I see it the same way you do Bonifay! It worries me too!!(y):cautious:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My personal Rams need list for 2016 :

1) # 1 WR = allows us to cut this position down to 5
2) FS
3) CB - cut one of the rookie LB'ers
4) Goff ready to start prior to the BYE

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
well well....secondary thoughts....

Still confused as to the numbers....only 3 safeties....only one true FS...that I still see as a tackling liability...with Barron at LB....but still a safety...probably after TJ, the one SS that wouldn't kill us playing deep...Granted, I think this is Fishers/Williams best defensive team since he's been here. Overall speed...and knowledge in this scheme....Listed in terms of talent...and expected production....

Tru Jo...contract year...guys been on cruise control all pre-season trying to avoid injuries... I get it...time to make his money...He should be lined up on the opponents best receiver...Do the traveling thing, that is, he should follow him all over the field, and make the others jobs easier. The Rams don't usually do this...But if Tru wants to raise his value he should...My main concern with Tru is he will not be able to be re-signed next year...that and his lack of true speed...but I'm more than comfortable with him and his size and our superior pass rush.. I see a pro-bowl type year from him...10 int's....I called it first.

EJ Gains...EJ 'fucking" Gaines I've seen him called. Great player...instinctual...and confident...If he's healthy, our season could really take off. Lis franc injuries are tricky...If he can be eased in...I don't see SF attacking him deep, and I really don't want to see him on Troy Smith...but just given some help over the top...keep him in a zone-type of coverage...I see 4 int's from EJ if not fully healthy...

Troy Hill...I've liked this guy at Oregon...more than Ole-Emplao (
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu) but hey, the media likes who they like...he was supposedly a weak tackler...keep an eye out to see if his very impressive tackling get worse during the season....this guy is a baller...and all he needs is reps..sound familiar???? I see 4 int's & 12 pbu's if he's allowed to start...

Coty Sensabaugh....always in position to make a tackle...close enough to make a play on the ball, but doesn't...hmmm, this guy will greatly benefit from playing with Aaron Donald, Quinn, and Hayes....in Greg's defense this guys speed should be an advantage...I don't see many stats outta him besides tackles...so I'll give him 50, 6 TFL...hell give him 4 sacks too...dude is fast and hungry...He's bought in to the system....

Joyner...what's Joyners first name? Al?? Whatever...5'8...kinda slow...not a fast twitch guy...but a try hard guy...plays with that chip...all that said...biggest reason we could have a losing record after 5 games...Troy Hill & EJ remain injured, and this guy and Sensabaugh have to play...There's no WAY teams will throw at Tru with this guy on the field....He's got to prove that he can get his hands on a ball...and his best part of his game is his physicality...his tackling...he's always been a lil too grabby for my tastes as a press coverage guy...but now he's missing tackles too...that attempt vs Denver...when he just flew up in there an threw a shoulder at Sanders...right then, I was convinced Sensabaugh is a better option...and now, so is Troy Hill

I'm actually holding out hope that Countess can really play...I've only seen clips..and I barely remember him from college...Michigan...not Auburn...but he looks like a faster Joyner...tenacious....Greg W likes nickle corners that can blitz...Countess plays a physical game..

Michael Jordan...he's one of those ball hawks...Can he become like EJ Gaines? Time will tell

Safeties are easy...
TJ McDonald will soon become the leader of the TEAM, not just the secondary...His hard hitting has set the tone for the defense...It makes opponents fear the middle of the field...It's too bad we need to move him to FS to get Mo on the field, but it should really help the defense in terms of intimidation...Lets see if he can t his hands on some balls...I see 5 int's from this guy...upwards of 70 tackles...oh yeah, 5 FF too....and 10 passes broken up..(pbu)...as you can tell, this guy can play in my eyes....

Cody Davis..some might be shocked to see his name here...as a secondary guy you gotta tackle for me...but as a FS, I also like to see you get your hands on some balls...Cody does that better than everyone else...I still wanna see this guy come up and lay some wood on SOMEBODY....anybody...hell, hit Ogletree in the back....JK...If Cody starts, I see 8 int's....45 tackles....

Mo Alexander...he should take over as SS...in just a series in the Minn. game, he made back-to-back TFL...like a DE..or OLB...wait, isn't that what he played? Thought he was going to get traded he looks so good...Still might...Cody has impressed me that much...Mo has what it takes to play...that blow up hit of Cooper confirms this...He needs REPs....needs to see it all...He starts, I see 2 int's...maybe 60-85 tackles...I have such a big range on him depending on how he improves...some FS are so paranoid, they stay 30 yards deep on every play...some get comfortable and come up...

still surprised they cut Christian Bryant the human missile...but that kickoff against Dallas had Fassel & Fisher HOT! I'm sure it's why Lynch was released...Almost why Chase was cut...Marquez too...

those are some thoughts @BonifayRam & ROD members...I think I'd trade for Eric Rowe....anything to get Joyner off the field....

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
We have put ourselves in a position were we can't have any DB injuries. We can manage if everyone stays healthy but we are too thin. Sensabaugh is going to get picked on every play if he has to see the field.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think I'd trade for Eric Rowe....anything to get Joyner off the field....

Why not Joyner FOR Rowe ? Eagles don't have much depth at the position and Rowe appears to have gotten himself in the dog-house, ... a swap here appeals to me. jmo.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My personal Rams need list for 2016 :

1) # 1 WR = allows us to cut this position down to 5
2) FS
3) CB - cut one of the rookie LB'ers
4) Goff ready to start prior to the BYE
1. We could go after Alshon Jeffery, Pierre Garçon, Desean Jackson or Emmanuel Sanders next year.
2. Draft or Eric Berry
3. I think we will be okay with our future guys.
4. I wish.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Just convert every Rams WR that can't catch to DB, and every DB that can't cover to WR.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have put ourselves in a position were we can't have any DB injuries. We can manage if everyone stays healthy but we are too thin. Sensabaugh is going to get picked on every play if he has to see the field.
An injury to Johnson would launch both Sensabaugh & Joyner into full time outside corner action...:confused:.

Fisher has gone thru the last two drafts without drafting any DB's. Until the draft trade for Goff I saw the need for the drafting of two CB's on the 2nd day of the draft. The last three DB's Fisher drafted in 2014 being Joyner-Alexander & Bryant all entering their 3rd seasons ...none are listed as starters fact one has been released. But Mo did finish the 2015 season as the SS in place of TJ McDonald. The main Ram DB UFA addition which came @ a high cost $$ CB Coty Sensabaugh has not looked good in 4 pre season games on the outside either. It would seem he is best in the Nickle package. But that's where Joyner has been starting. Maybe Joyner is on his way deep?

Rams did add a Nickle looking DB to the PS named Blake Countess not sure if its a statement to Joyner if he continues to trip over his bottom lip. But Blake could also be in the consideration later @ deep safety plug in too. They also added UDFA rookie Isaiah Johnson a strong safety DB to the PS. So sure looks like Bryant is done in LA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams have zero room for injury at CB. It is possible that Hill could develop, but the dropoff from Tru or Gaines to him is significant. IMO if we have Tru & Gaines at the corners all season our defense will be outstanding. If not, it's gonna get real and Williams will be playing shell games trying to mix coverages and account for lesser talent.

Where I'm not too worried is the safeties. That said, I do think they'd better be on point in this upcoming season opener, because Chip Kelly is really good at spreading things out and isolating/challenging targeted defenders.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
UDFA rookie Isaiah Johnson
We added him?...I think I remember this guy from NC State....another SS......
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/li...his-mark/0b36ebee-b293-4f55-bba4-eb53f106e620
Not sure if he's the dude from So. Carolina or Georgia Tech....
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/isaiah-johnson?id=2553291
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1737351
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/ge...football-nfl-scouting-report-s-isaiah-johnson
Pro Day Results
HEIGHT WEIGHT 40-YARD DASH VERTICAL JUMP BROAD JUMP 3-CONE SHORT SHUTTLE LONG SHUTTLE BENCH REPS (225 LBS.)
6'1" 202 lbs. 4.55 34 inches 10'4" 6.98 sec 4.13 sec 11.70 sec 14
Had Isaiah Johnson been invited to the NFL Combine, these numbers would have compared very favorably to some of the top performers there. He brings prototypical safety size and with his 4.55 40-time and 124" broad jump, Johnson brings a lot of potential for explosive plays. The size-speed combination projects well at either spot, but something that could potentially hold him back is the 14 bench reps. The number would have been good enough to finish eighth, but personally, I prefer to have my safeties be a little bit stronger. With his speed and size, though, he should still be able to pack a punch with his hits as long as he can focus his force on his target.

It is possible that Hill could develop, but the drop off from Tru or Gaines to him is significant.
Agree with your post Merl....I think all Troy Hill needs is experience...He's got a certain kinda confidence...He's been a factor every year I watched him in the Pac-12

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
well well....secondary thoughts....

Still confused as to the numbers....only 3 safeties....only one true FS...that I still see as a tackling liability...with Barron at LB....but still a safety...probably after TJ, the one SS that wouldn't kill us playing deep...Granted, I think this is Fishers/Williams best defensive team since he's been here. Overall speed...and knowledge in this scheme....Listed in terms of talent...and expected production....

Tru Jo...contract year...guys been on cruise control all pre-season trying to avoid injuries... I get it...time to make his money...He should be lined up on the opponents best receiver...Do the traveling thing, that is, he should follow him all over the field, and make the others jobs easier. The Rams don't usually do this...But if Tru wants to raise his value he should...My main concern with Tru is he will not be able to be re-signed next year...that and his lack of true speed...but I'm more than comfortable with him and his size and our superior pass rush.. I see a pro-bowl type year from him...10 int's....I called it first.

EJ Gains...EJ 'freaking" Gaines I've seen him called. Great player...instinctual...and confident...If he's healthy, our season could really take off. Lis franc injuries are tricky...If he can be eased in...I don't see SF attacking him deep, and I really don't want to see him on Troy Smith...but just given some help over the top...keep him in a zone-type of coverage...I see 4 int's from EJ if not fully healthy...

Troy Hill...I've liked this guy at Oregon...more than Ole-Emplao (
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu) but hey, the media likes who they like...he was supposedly a weak tackler...keep an eye out to see if his very impressive tackling get worse during the season....this guy is a baller...and all he needs is reps..sound familiar???? I see 4 int's & 12 pbu's if he's allowed to start...

Coty Sensabaugh....always in position to make a tackle...close enough to make a play on the ball, but doesn't...hmmm, this guy will greatly benefit from playing with Aaron Donald, Quinn, and Hayes....in Greg's defense this guys speed should be an advantage...I don't see many stats outta him besides tackles...so I'll give him 50, 6 TFL...hell give him 4 sacks too...dude is fast and hungry...He's bought in to the system....

Joyner...what's Joyners first name? Al?? Whatever...5'8...kinda slow...not a fast twitch guy...but a try hard guy...plays with that chip...all that said...biggest reason we could have a losing record after 5 games...Troy Hill & EJ remain injured, and this guy and Sensabaugh have to play...There's no WAY teams will throw at Tru with this guy on the field....He's got to prove that he can get his hands on a ball...and his best part of his game is his physicality...his tackling...he's always been a lil too grabby for my tastes as a press coverage guy...but now he's missing tackles too...that attempt vs Denver...when he just flew up in there an threw a shoulder at Sanders...right then, I was convinced Sensabaugh is a better option...and now, so is Troy Hill

I'm actually holding out hope that Countess can really play...I've only seen clips..and I barely remember him from college...Michigan...not Auburn...but he looks like a faster Joyner...tenacious....Greg W likes nickle corners that can blitz...Countess plays a physical game..

Michael Jordan...he's one of those ball hawks...Can he become like EJ Gaines? Time will tell

Safeties are easy...
TJ McDonald will soon become the leader of the TEAM, not just the secondary...His hard hitting has set the tone for the defense...It makes opponents fear the middle of the field...It's too bad we need to move him to FS to get Mo on the field, but it should really help the defense in terms of intimidation...Lets see if he can t his hands on some balls...I see 5 int's from this guy...upwards of 70 tackles...oh yeah, 5 FF too....and 10 passes broken up..(pbu)...as you can tell, this guy can play in my eyes....

Cody Davis..some might be shocked to see his name here...as a secondary guy you gotta tackle for me...but as a FS, I also like to see you get your hands on some balls...Cody does that better than everyone else...I still wanna see this guy come up and lay some wood on SOMEBODY....anybody...hell, hit Ogletree in the back....JK...If Cody starts, I see 8 int's....45 tackles....

Mo Alexander...he should take over as SS...in just a series in the Minn. game, he made back-to-back TFL...like a DE..or OLB...wait, isn't that what he played? Thought he was going to get traded he looks so good...Still might...Cody has impressed me that much...Mo has what it takes to play...that blow up hit of Cooper confirms this...He needs REPs....needs to see it all...He starts, I see 2 int's...maybe 60-85 tackles...I have such a big range on him depending on how he improves...some FS are so paranoid, they stay 30 yards deep on every play...some get comfortable and come up...

still surprised they cut Christian Bryant the human missile...but that kickoff against Dallas had Fassel & Fisher HOT! I'm sure it's why Lynch was released...Almost why Chase was cut...Marquez too...

those are some thoughts @BonifayRam & ROD members...I think I'd trade for Eric Rowe....anything to get Joyner off the field....
Cody 8 int?:palm:

Athos

Legend
The Rams are one DB injury, if they aren't already there, of having a secondary that will get strafed. Bloody carpet bombed.

Won't have to worry about it with the Whiners, but Wussell breaking contain could lead to more coverage lapses than usual.

If Palmer stays healthy, you bet they'll be attacking that Ram weakness.

Stafford can still pass the ball.

Baby-back-bitch Beckham is back for more Ram meat.

Brees, Brady, and Matty Ice back to back to back.

Bucs do have WR weapons.

It could be bombs away unless the D-line really carries.

It's why I'm confused when people think the Rams will have a top 10 D. Not with that secondary. Not unless some diamond in the rough steps up or Gaines magically stays healthy all year.

The coverage abilities of these DBs sans Tru are weak.

This ain't no Denver D, folks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's why I'm confused when people think the Rams will have a top 10 D. Not with that secondary. Not unless some diamond in the rough steps up or Gaines magically stays healthy all year.

Reason I think they're a top 10 defense:

1. Quinn's return. Don't know how effective he'll be, but him and Donald HAVE TO help our secondary.
2. Gaines' return. He looked real good in limited snaps, so IMO if he's healthy it's gonna be a fun season.