Rams Current Roster Trends/Notes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I find it interesting that the Rams currently only have 4 wide recovers on the roster yet they have 5 running backs, 5 tight ends, 5 defensive ends, and 5 safeties.

With Quick going down and Pettis being released the Rams WR corp has dwindled to 4 players.

At first blush Carrying 4 WR in today's pass happy NFL seems a little strange but for now it works for the Rams. Cook is more like big WR at this point but even then the Rams are an injury away from being very thin at WR.

I am not advocating a change either (like that would matter anyway) I just find it interesting. I know injuries have dictated some of this but I think it also speaks to the depth of talent of the positions where the Rams are heavy.

It also demonstrates how the Rams are taking the long view in their roster construction by keeping developmental guys like Westbrooks, Alexander, and Watts with very good upside but very light in current on-field production.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I actually think we had too many receivers before. It's just like runningback, the more touches they get the better they get. I prefer quality over quantity.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I find it interesting that the Rams currently only have 4 wide recovers on the roster yet they have 5 running backs, 5 tight ends, 5 defensive ends, and 5 safeties.

With Quick going down and Pettis being released the Rams WR corp has dwindled to 4 players.

At first blush Carrying 4 WR in today's pass happy NFL seems a little strange but for now it works for the Rams. Cook is more like big WR at this point but even then the Rams are an injury away from being very thin at WR.

I am not advocating a change either (like that would matter anyway) I just find it interesting. I know injuries have dictated some of this but I think it also speaks to the depth of talent of the positions where the Rams are heavy.

It also demonstrates how the Rams are taking the long view in their roster construction by keeping developmental guys like Westbrooks, Alexander, and Watts with very good upside but very light in current on-field production.

Hey Noregar yep its a little bit different. Fisher did add wr Damian Williams who was Waived on 11-25-14. Williams was injured real quick & never made any contributions to the Rams team so they just released him. Jared Cook is much more of a down field pass catcher than the usual TE/H-backs like Lance Kendricks/Cory Harkey & Justice Cunningham who Fisher prefers. I am like you that I am just fine with the five we have now (Cook/Britt/Bailey/Givens/TA) When Quick returns I see no need to change or add any WR's.

Just goes to show also that players like Trey Watts & Chase Reynolds (who has played in 27 Fisher games) who have very little roles in the offense but play major roles in the Special Team Units carry such a high value to Fisher/Snead. I sure have noticed that Trey Watts is a nightmare for opposing teams lately. Rams do have three RB's who can catch in Cunningham/Mason/Watts too along with TE Alex Bayer so pass catchers are available. Watts is a sure keeper IMO.

The loaded secondary where Fisher & Williams have mega stockpiled so many strong safety types (like you pointed out Mo Alexander a Lb sized SS)could also indicate that trend of a future base defense fielding only 2 LB'ers as a max most all the time. Thus we have only 5 LB'ers on the roster where 6, 7 or 8 is norm for most all NFL teams. You could see the LB'er unit go smaller in numbers of players on the roster too. Snead & Fisher did not draft any LB'ers this past draft. They do not have any LB'ers on the practice Squad nor do they have any on the injured reserve....that says something does it not.

Noregar you mention DL Ethan Westbrooks.....Rams will have there four very talented DE's returning next season under contract. But they went after EW very hard this spring even though EW was extremely raw but I think his best position is @ DT. I of the opinion that they will hope to get him stronger & thicker next season so he can be the 4th DT behind DT Donald with DT Langford as the back up to Brockers.