Rams could release Sam Bradford with no financial constraints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn

No that's a tricky situation. I like Sam a lot but I would consider dumping him

lasvegasrams

Rookie
not sure how anyone can comfortably let go of bradford after seeing what he did WITHOUT a running game the first 6 games of the season.

i can picture the red zone td's that prior to having stacy established would ALWAYS go to sam on a pass and he sure did deliver some bullets accurately.

i am not sure a rookie qb would keep us on pace. BUT 2014 is a big year for him and even injury is not going to give him a pass, as his durability will be rightfully questioned (unfortunately for him)

…..

Legend
Sams not getting cut. The Rams will have to live with the distinction of being the last team to suffer the bloated rookie contract. No other way around it. Would be nice if they could restructure him at a cap friendly rate, but that would basically mean Sam is giving his money away so it doubtfull any contract would be re-written for lesser value.

I'd TRADE Sam...for maybe Aaron Rodgers....but since that isnt happening, I'm resigned to live life with him. And I'm not convinced it would be such a terrible life to live.

I think the Rams are determined to make Sam who he should be, our Franchise guy. I dont fault the team for doing so.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
It sounds like your saying to wait until Sam's last year , then wait and see if he can get the team to the Superbowl. Makes sense.
Actually I was just sayin he isn't that far of what was referred to as an elite QB who makes his WRs better. I will take a SuperBowl though:roflmao:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It will be hard for you to not take this as a slam, but the fact that you put Brady and Flacco on the same level discredits your argument. If you recall last year Flacco was a lame duck QB who had to win a SB to even get offered a new contract. They didn't re-up his contract before or during the season because they weren't sure he was their guy going forward. As far as elevating those around him, its debateable whether he made them better or they made him better.
Through 14 games he has 18 TDs and 17 INTs, in 2012 he had 22 TDs and 10 INTs through 16 games. He has thus far attempted 526 passes vs. 531 all of last year. In 2012 he threw for 3817 and a completion % of 59.7 In 2012 SB had 551 passes for 3702 yds & a completion % of 59.5 - 21 TDs and 13 INTs.
You see where I'm headed with this?

Yeah, I've often thought that Sam and Flacco were similar quarterbacks. That was before this season. Sam can't play effectively in an offense that isn't run first. He's the perfect "Marty Ball" QB. And if that's what we want, then he should be paid accordingly so we can afford to keep a good offensive line in tact.

Ultimately the difference between Flacco and Sam though is also obvious; it's called WINS.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hard to say how
Yeah, I've often thought that Sam and Flacco were similar quarterbacks. That was before this season. Sam can't play effectively in an offense that isn't run first. He's the perfect "Marty Ball" QB. And if that's what we want, then he should be paid accordingly so we can afford to keep a good offensive line in tact.

Ultimately the difference between Flacco and Sam though is also obvious; it's called WINS.

Hard to disagree with that. Can't blame Sam or do anything about the contract situation. We drafted him because he was the guy we needed to take the franchise forward. We all hope that our team QB will be "elite" like the Bradys and Mannings of the league, but those guys just don't come around very often. Sam is a good QB, and this team should be good enough in the near future to win with him. Sam can win us games when he needs to, and just as importantly, will very rarely if ever LOSE us a game. He may not take over games and shred defenses like Aaron Rogers, but if the rest of the team is stout enough...HE WON'T NEED TO!!! I will take a good ol' above average game managing QB leading a solid ass team over an "elite" QB "elevating" a bunch of overachievers.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

I don't understand the bolded part...at all. Before the injury Sam had 14 TDs and 4 INTs, the Rams were in the top 5 in the league in red zone TD conversion and he was completing ~ 60% of his pass attempts. All of this with no running game (save his last 3) and leading the league is passes dropped.

As for Flacco he had LOTS of help in those wins. I think Sam has a much higher ceiling than Flacco if the two are put in similar circumstances.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I don't understand the bolded part...at all. Before the injury Sam had 14 TDs and 4 INTs, the Rams were in the top 5 in the league in red zone TD conversion and he was completing ~ 60% of his pass attempts. All of this with no running game (save his last 3) and leading the league is passes dropped.

As for Flacco he had LOTS of help in those wins. I think Sam has a much higher ceiling than Flacco if the two are put in similar circumstances.

Let's look at the numbers; During Bradford's first four games, when we were running a passing offense, he had a quarterback rating of 82.1 (58.8% completions, 6.01 yards per attempt, 7/3 TD/INT - QBR of 37 average). Those numbers roughly match his 2012 season where he had a passer rating of 82.6. And I won't even get into what his numbers were prior to 2012, especially when he played in a McDaniel's - passing first - offense.

The last three games of his shortened 2013 season he played well - when we effectively ran the ball, got early leads, and played good team football. I do, however, have to point out that the two wins were against Jacksonville and Houston (inferior competition by any measure). (His numbers against Carolina were very very impressive.) The point is that those three games are a statistical anomaly and that he is a career Game Manager. If you actually look at the numbers how can this be argued against????

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a game manager. I'm just saying that we should call a spade a spade.

Flacco is a much better QB. He runs, he moves in the pocket, he throws the ball down field, he elevates players (look at who he's been throwing to this year - 80 year old Dallas Clark! UFA's! a kick returner!...).

What would a top tier QB doing with the talent on our roster? Would he have a YPA above or below 6 yards?

Last edited by a moderator: