Rams could release Sam Bradford with no financial constraints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Sam isn't going to go anywhere and he's going to earn that money. For all that he's gone through.. (injuries, several different coordinators, bad supporting cast, etc) he deserves his money. Just saying.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The only legit argument, and it's a weak one, is that by cutting Bradford and drafting a cheaper and hopefully comparable QB that the savings could be used to obtain more talent at other positions.
The flaw in this is that the cheaper QB might suck and set the team back even more.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't fathom that any rams fan wants Bradford to get traded or even cut, especially after the way he played when Stacy became the rb.

It's mind boggling.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Money is important in this case b/c we're going to have to pay the people around Sam. He's not the type of QB that is going to elevate talent around him (like, Flacco or Brady).

I really don't want to get into a whole rant about the whole "elevating" nonsense, so I'll just say this: 2013 is the worst season for the "elevation" arguments. QBs all over are having issues b/c of terrible defenses, OLs, and injuries @ the skill positions.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

I can't fathom that any rams fan wants Bradford to get traded or even cut, especially after the way he played when Stacy became the rb.

It's mind boggling.

The people advocating for a trade or cut are not the head coach and he knows more than them!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is what I keep coming back to. QB's aren't cheap.

Yeah, you might get lucky and draft one on the cheap... But then you have to live through their growing pains. Look at RGme, Kaeperdick, etc.

You also might swing and miss, like the laundry list of QB's who have failed miserably in the first round.

I look at Sam and KNOW we can win with him. He's clean off the field too. QB positioned solved! I'd rather spend draft capital around him and win in 2014.

That's all very true and I will add this to the list.

You only get that new QB cheap for the first three years if they are playing well. After the third year under the new CBA a player can restructure their deal or sign a new one. So the agent will be pressuring the team to pony up so that the player stays off the market where they will almost assuredly be over paid because that's how free agency works especially with QBs who are playing well.

Not to mention no team lets a QB walk when that QB is playing the position very well, it just doesn't happen. So after three years the QB is paid at market value, and there you are in the same situation as before except you saved some money for three seasons. In my opinion that's good that there was savings but in a guys first three years what are the odds he is leading the team to a SB right?

RWilson is going to be a perfect example of this. That third round deal is going to get torn up and a new deal will be done when the season is over, even if the Seahawks don't win the SB like they should. He is going to get a massive contract, the problem for SEA s they have a few guys that are coming due and it's going to be hard to pay them all, so over the next two years they have to draft well because they will be losing some talent.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I understand the logic for wanting a good cheap QB and using the draft to get one, and if SB was actually playing poorly, or actually old and playing injured more often than not then you would do just that and not look back.

But at this point I think that Bradford is worth more than the first overall pick, because you know that you're getting a dang good QB in him that quite possibly overwhelm most fans on a more complete team.

Anyway, by that logic if you were still set on basically pressing the reset button on the offense, then you should at least try to trade him, and don't take less than what that first overall is actually worth.

But this team has too many holes to reset on the offense just yet. The smarter play would be to just get their use out of SB, solidify the defense, continue finding depth and youth at the O line and evaluate what they have at WR and RB.

Once that's done and they have a solid team around him, go ahead and save your money at the QB position with a draft pick, or for that matter if it's an option just sign the best FA available to fit the team's direction and get a new OC while they're at it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll bet CBS Sports could release La Canfora with no give-a-shit constraints too.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Dang it
Winston isn't draft eligible. So Bridgewater is going #1. Who's going #2?
Darn it! We that certainly changes things. If Clowney blows up the combine and pro day then he'd bring something pretty sweet. Not as much, though.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Money is important in this case b/c we're going to have to pay the people around Sam. He's not the type of QB that is going to elevate talent around him (like, Flacco or Brady).
It will be hard for you to not take this as a slam, but the fact that you put Brady and Flacco on the same level discredits your argument. If you recall last year Flacco was a lame duck QB who had to win a SB to even get offered a new contract. They didn't re-up his contract before or during the season because they weren't sure he was their guy going forward. As far as elevating those around him, its debateable whether he made them better or they made him better.
Through 14 games he has 18 TDs and 17 INTs, in 2012 he had 22 TDs and 10 INTs through 16 games. He has thus far attempted 526 passes vs. 531 all of last year. In 2012 he threw for 3817 and a completion % of 59.7 In 2012 SB had 551 passes for 3702 yds & a completion % of 59.5 - 21 TDs and 13 INTs.
You see where I'm headed with this?

ausmurp

Starter
Prior to going down he was putting up top 10 numbers, the 10th highest paid QB is on $15.3 million per year, with some semblance of a running game and receivers not dropping passes I don't see why he can't do better next year. Of cause if he can't stay healthy then he's not worth anything.

Correcting you, he was putting up top 3 numbers. Better than Aaron Rodgers as well...

ausmurp

Starter
But has everything to do with the decision to keep him or not.

Whenever the salary thing comes up, people state: "it's not his fault". Nobody said it's his fault!!! We just believe we can get the same output with less the salary from another QB .

14 TDs 4 INTs in 7 games, rating 90, top 3 statistically when he went down, and you think we can get that kind of play from a cheaper QB? That is not good logic...

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
14 TDs 4 INTs in 7 games, rating 90, top 3 statistically when he went down, and you think we can get that kind of play from a cheaper QB? That is not good logic...
Aaaaaa....why let something as simple as logic get in the way of a passionate argument:slap:

Correcting you, he was putting up top 3 numbers. Better than Aaron Rodgers as well...

Depends how long you look, his last three games were very good, but 14 QBs had at least one better three game stretch. If you look at his season as a whole though then it was top 10.

Also an argument I keep on hearing: Bradford isn't elite. For me there has been 1 elite QB drafted in the first round in the past ten years (Rodgers), 25 QBs have been drafted in the first round in the last ten years. Would you trade your next 25 first round picks for Rodgers?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
It will be hard for you to not take this as a slam, but the fact that you put Brady and Flacco on the same level discredits your argument. If you recall last year Flacco was a lame duck QB who had to win a SB to even get offered a new contract. They didn't re-up his contract before or during the season because they weren't sure he was their guy going forward. As far as elevating those around him, its debateable whether he made them better or they made him better.
Through 14 games he has 18 TDs and 17 INTs, in 2012 he had 22 TDs and 10 INTs through 16 games. He has thus far attempted 526 passes vs. 531 all of last year. In 2012 he threw for 3817 and a completion % of 59.7 In 2012 SB had 551 passes for 3702 yds & a completion % of 59.5 - 21 TDs and 13 INTs.
You see where I'm headed with this?
It sounds like your saying to wait until Sam's last year , then wait and see if he can get the team to the Superbowl. Makes sense.