Rams could release Sam Bradford with no financial constraints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jason La Canfora
CBS Sports NFL Insider
December 15, 2013 10:16 AM
[mweb.cbssports.com]

The Rams could be facing a crucial dilemma this offseason with Sam Bradford, the first-overall pick in 2010, coming off another injury and the team now possibly ending up with two top 10 picks. That’s including what may be the first-overall via the RGII trade they made with Washington in 2012 (St. Louis has the Redskins’ top pick).

Several NFL execs, when assessing that situation, believe it could lead to Bradford’s departure, while team sources have indicated the organization remains very comfortable with Bradford and while “all options would be on the table” if St. Louis has the top pick, the likelihood of drafting a quarterback is more remote than most other scenarios. The dream scenario for the Rams would be other teams coveting that pick -- as the Skins did with St. Louis’ second-overall selection in 2012 -- and then offering a bounty to trade down and pick up a bunch of selections, able to fill multiple holes.

The Rams will do their due diligence on the college quarterbacks, of course, but drafting a quarterback when considering their other needs is not very likely, sources said. There could well be a tackle who makes sense if they keep the pick, but the team will explore options for trading it as well, and that approach has been favored by them with good results to this point.

Even if the Rams don’t get the first overall pick -- let’s say it’s second overall -- and it ends up there are two consensus best-of-breed quarterbacks, they could find themselves in a similar situation to where they were in 2012. There are no shortage of teams who will be drafting quarterbacks -- Houston, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland, and Minnesota will be taking one high -- and only so many of them will end up picking before the Rams.

However, it is also not lost on the organization that the Rams no longer owe Bradford any guaranteed money, having paid him $50 million already, and they owe him $14M for 2014 and $13M for 2015. And a quarterback taken with the first overall pick in 2014 would earn roughly that same $27M over the first five years of his deal. Still, dealing or cutting Bradford is very unlikely.
Although it must be noted that the Rams have been publicly united in their support of Bradford.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I guess Jason needed to reach his article quota for the day, because this article offers no new information.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I guess Jason needed to reach his article quota for the day, because this article offers no new information.
Did I miss the alternative to trade him,although I give no credence to any of it ,his contract might be worth more than the pick to the right people so why didn't Jason do a complete analysis?............................lazy rehash BS is my call.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I saw this, and while I'm not huge Bradford backer, there are no QBs that get me excited. You have to stick with him this year and see what happens. He was having a hell of a year. Let's see what he does with this running game.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not on a new contract, but we can't fault him for where we drafted him. I wouldn't give him more than 10 per year on a new contract.

Is he worth $14 million a year? Just asking...

Prior to going down he was putting up top 10 numbers, the 10th highest paid QB is on $15.3 million per year, with some semblance of a running game and receivers not dropping passes I don't see why he can't do better next year. Of cause if he can't stay healthy then he's not worth anything.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I say there is about a zero chance that the Rams will release Sam Bradford! Just pure speculation & wishful thinking by other who are not Ram fans. You think for one moment that the Texans would hesitate a second to open up their zillions to sign him up for far more than 15 mil to get him???

I see no surprise here but I would not be surprised if Snead thinks one of those top QB's is a bonified superstar & he does not get any RG3 type draft picks trade offers that he could drop our jaws with a top pick of a QB. Snead may figure that this could be a future Ram investment where other teams interest could build later in trade value. Maybe Fisher fills Sam Bradford need some stiff competition to bring in order to push him to a higher level?? Plus with Sam's injury issues may give cause for pause to insure a valid starting QB is present if Sam was to go down again...Snead & Fisher could not stand another Sam injury IR event in 2014 when they have two top picks....Never know whats going on behind the scenes. I am sure the Rams at the same time do not want to pay a back up first round QB over 5 mil a yr either.

Last edited by a moderator:

V3

Hall of Fame
I saw this, and while I'm not huge Bradford backer, there are no QBs that get me excited. You have to stick with him this year and see what happens. He was having a hell of a year. Let's see what he does with this running game.

Kinda how I feel. I don't believe Sam will ever be elite. I think his ceiling is a good game manager. That being said, I'm not sure any QB's this year are all that great either. I'm sure there'll be one or two that hit but I'm not sure who they are. There's more risk with these QB prospects. I'm just hoping other teams fall in love with a QB other than Bridgewater(he's going 1). I want another bounty. I'm not really big on any players- regardless of position- at the top, either. Trade down.

Salary has nothing to do w/ on field play.

But has everything to do with the decision to keep him or not.

Whenever the salary thing comes up, people state: "it's not his fault". Nobody said it's his fault!!! We just believe we can get the same output with less the salary from another QB .

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Whenever the salary thing comes up, people state: "it's not his fault". Nobody said it's his fault!!! We just believe we can get the same output with less the salary from another QB .

No one gets rid of a player b/c of salary unless their play is bad and/or getting older, which Sam doesn't meet either criteria.

Chances are that lesser salary QB people are clamoring for isn't gonna be as good as the guy currently playing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

We who LOL certainly not the Rams FO :roflmao:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Prior to going down he was putting up top 10 numbers, the 10th highest paid QB is on $15.3 million per year.

This is what I keep coming back to. QB's aren't cheap.

Yeah, you might get lucky and draft one on the cheap... But then you have to live through their growing pains. Look at RGme, Kaeperdick, etc.

You also might swing and miss, like the laundry list of QB's who have failed miserably in the first round.

I look at Sam and KNOW we can win with him. He's clean off the field too. QB positioned solved! I'd rather spend draft capital around him and win in 2014.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Salary has nothing to do w/ on field play.

Money is important in this case b/c we're going to have to pay the people around Sam. He's not the type of QB that is going to elevate talent around him (like, Flacco or Brady).