Rams could be Pats level Dominant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Why aren't we at the level of the Pats, Broncos, Steelers, Packers, etc?

As a Steeler fan, they are known to lay duds. Like today for instance.

The Packers aren't doing well this year, and the Broncos are just...ok. Even their defense has regressed b/c of injuries (sound familiar?).

The Patriots cheat.

Fire Coach Fisher.

Nope.

You KNOW who the New Orleans Saints are. They are a team trying to drop a 50 burger on you. In your house. Their D may give up 49, but their O feels confident they can outscore you.

And that's the reason why they haven't been a major playoff factor since 2006. All offense, no defense. And that team can be shut down with the right defense.

On the flip side, you also know who the Rams are. And it's pretty obvious. They are gonna use their big body WRs on the outside and middle, Tavon as a multi-threat, and Todd doing his thing. The supposed strength on D isn't a strength anymore. It really hasn't been all year, save for the shitchicken game.

The Rams are hurting on defense. They aren't playing well. Firing a coach doesn't solve anything.

TexasRam

Legend
I think the important thing is not the system but the players fit in the system and time in the system.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, I'd hire David Shaw as the HC and lean on him to work with Les Snead to find the best OC to bring in the P/E.

That's how I'd do it.
The problem there is hiring a coach or trying to hire a coach and tell him what O and or D he has to run. The vast majority would not go for this. It is their name by the Ws and Ls and most would want control.
In other words if a guy is really sought after he would not give up control of those decisions.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the important thing is not the system but the players fit in the system and time in the system.
This is it really.
The schemes can be sound but players need to execute it.
The Steelers are a great example of a team that has figured out specifically what players (D line and LB for this example) work in their D. They draft guys that fit their scheme.
The Rams passing game is starting to have some success.
The talent level is the same ( Inlike how Quick is a threat now in this thread after mos people here wanted him gone) but, like you said, time in the system.
The Rams have changed offenses several times in the las handful of years.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

Yes. That's why the Pats are dominant. They draft players that fit their system and adapt the system to the team as changes occur.

That and cheating of course :whistle:

~lyser

Rookie
I like the 49er Singletary to Harblah comparison in that I do think there is a lot of talent on the Rams and I don't think it is being maximized. The situations are similar (talented roster under performing), even though I don't really think Fisher is all that similar to Singletary in other ways.

That 49er team was VERY talented though, I am not sure I agree that this Ram team is more talented or even equally talented, but I do believe they have enough talent to be more more successful than they are.

I agree that the discipline problems with penalties and uneven effort/effectiveness are a reflection of the coach.

I think a new coach could take this talented team to the next level. The downside is the new guy could suck, but if I was Stan K, I would move in a new direction because Fisher has pretty much demonstrated that his teams will always lack discipline and consistency.

We kinda know that Stan wants to emulate the "Patriot model" and likely wants a guy that can be there for a long time and has prior head coaching experience. I'm not so sure a particular "system" is a strong requirement or if it matters if the guy has an offensive or defensive background. I doubt he wants a guy that is going to run "too hot" and wear out his welcome after a few seasons (Martz, Harblah, Rex Ryan). Who fits that model?

Josh McDaniels? (of course he already had a disastrous one and done season with the Rams as OC)
Jon Gruden? (does he want to come out of the booth?)
Wade Phillips? (probably a better coordinator than HC)
Norv Turner? (see Wade Phillips)
Mike Shanahan?

I dunno, but there does appear to be a window of opportunity for a new guy to take advantage of the talent Fisher has put together and get the Rams winning on a consistent basis.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I generally agree with the OP, and think if we could just get over the hump on offense and be a team that can consistently score 20+ points per game and convert 3rd downs at a rate that is at the NFL average, we'd get over the hump overall. Irrespective of what happened to our D yesterday, when healthy, they are pretty damn good, and that's with having to carry the team on its back most of the time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We have more talent than the Pats at every position...except one.... If Brady had the ball, with 1:20 left on the clock, do you have confidence he could lead your team down the field for at least a FG???

The Pats lose defenders like some people lose keys, yet, they have a system in place where every player they draft can step in and perform at a high level...or so it seems...We give up 3rd downs like candy on Halloween...we jump offsides like we can just do that...I can't believe this defense....and only at LB are the Pats better than the Rams, but every year, they out-perform the Rams...Who is that guy the Pats have with a beard at DC? who are those corners? When did they draft their D-Linemen???

MountainRam

Rookie
To be dominant as Pats: It would require Brady to be QB and Belichick to be coach. No other player on this Rams or Pats team matters (not even aaron donald). So no this team will not dominant as Pats team.

Like it or not, Hawks are looking like Pats like team in this division.

Pape

UDFA
We have more talent than the Pats at every position...except one.... If Brady had the ball, with 1:20 left on the clock, do you have confidence he could lead your team down the field for at least a FG???

Huh? Top to bottom the Patriots roster is superior to the Rams, with the exception of running back but right now Blount is out playing Gurley.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Huh? Top to bottom the Patriots roster is superior to the Rams, with the exception of running back but right now Blount is out playing Gurley.
I forgot one exceptional player, Gronk, but this injury Gronk isn't better than Kendricks in my eyes...Bennett isn't better than anyone we have...Brady makes him better.
Olines...I'd say similar talent...in fact, I think on a whole we're better...wrs....Britt & Quick are better than any the Pats have...of course, my opinion....
Defense....I should have also included the Pats LB's as better than what we have as a unit...not more talented, but playing better...in their scheme....
I think we have similar secondaries...theirs, obviously, performs better...again, I'd say scheme...D-Lines...c'mon, even our backups are better....they took one of our injured D-Lineman and made him a starter...

So QB, LB's, and maybe Gronk....so, let me adjust my earlier sentiment...but after filming our walk-through b4 the superbowl, I can't say for sure they don't have an unfair advantage...

Pape

UDFA
I forgot one exceptional player, Gronk, but this injury Gronk isn't better than Kendricks in my eyes...Bennett isn't better than anyone we have...Brady makes him better.
Olines...I'd say similar talent...in fact, I think on a whole we're better...wrs....Britt & Quick are better than any the Pats have...of course, my opinion....
Defense....I should have also included the Pats LB's as better than what we have as a unit...not more talented, but playing better...in their scheme....
I think we have similar secondaries...theirs, obviously, performs better...again, I'd say scheme...D-Lines...c'mon, even our backups are better....they took one of our injured D-Lineman and made him a starter...

So QB, LB's, and maybe Gronk....so, let me adjust my earlier sentiment...but after filming our walk-through b4 the superbowl, I can't say for sure they don't have an unfair advantage...

Kendricks is on par with Gronk? Better than Bennett? okies... that alone says it all in your ability to dissect a roster

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Defense needs to be great for us to win . That's it, simple as that. If the defense played every game like they do against Seattle and Arizona we would be very dangerous even with keenum . These other great teams continue to win because they have a system and can play at the same level every week .

A55VA6

Legend
Quick and Britt are both FAs this off-season.
Britt seems like a must re-sign right now. He's playing very well. But there's a few important guys we still need to re-sign as well. Like Tru and Tree..

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kendricks is on par with Gronk? Better than Bennett?
Today...as we sit discussing rosters.....Kendricks is a comparable player to Gronk....and probably a li better than Bennett...Especially as a receiving threat....Gronk is a shell of his younger self...Bennett has never been all that...QB's separate these players, not skill.....