Rams could be Pats level Dominant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
After watching this game, I came away...encouraged.

How is that? I'm not going to rehash any issues beyond saying that the Vent thread is ---> and I and others have contributed.

BUT!!! I also saw a LOT of really good things.

1) I think, for the first time, we saw that we may have a big WR tandem that could be really, REALLY dangerous.

2) Gurley is finding his way now that he's not facing 12 in the box.

When I look at this roster, we actually have a pretty high level of talent.

So what's holding us back? Why aren't we at the level of the Pats, Broncos, Steelers, Packers, etc?

Well, I've thought about what we'd need to do and I figured I'd just spell it out. This is based on what I saw in the off-season, pre-season AND thus far in-season.

1) Fire Coach Fisher. The lack of discipline has been a serious issue and lack of production from several positions is simply unacceptable. Moreover, the lack of a coherent team philosophy has seriously hindered this team. Just saying, "this is who we are" doesn't mean anything. That's coach speak for "I'm doing what I want". Good teams, you know what they are about, even if they are struggling in certain aspects. You KNOW who the New Orleans Saints are. They are a team trying to drop a 50 burger on you. In your house. Their D may give up 49, but their O feels confident they can outscore you.

2) Install the Perkins/Earhardt offense. Two of the best QBs in the game currently run it in Brady and Roethlisberger, neither of which are the sharpest tools in the shed (seriously, if you've heard either of them outside of football...they're not Ryan Lochte stupid, but man...incoherent is a word that could describe either of them). Yet...BOTH are masters of the football universe. How? System. Yep, that's how powerful this system is compared to other systems. Now just imagine a young man who's NOT dumb as a stump like our young Goff running that system? With his tools? With weapons like Britt, Quick, Hendricks, Higbee, Tavon as a /slash player AND Gurley!!! This offense WITH THIS PERSONNEL PACKAGE could be downright dominant.

3) Hire a HC both with a record of success, high standards AND known for teaching. Someone like David Shaw from Stanford. He's adapted his program to win with and without a QB and even with the high academic standards of Stanford, he's still gotten his program into the top 25 against SEC programs that lower the academic bar so low, gnats couldn't limbo under it. Moreover, he's consistent, SMART, gets players to play for him, is an EXCELLENT communicator and is equally adept on O and D.

That alone may be enough. Obviously, if Fisher goes, GW will likely go as well. I'm on the fence a little on GW because when he had JJ and Tru, he played more man in situations than he does now, so some of it may be an issue of personnel. In order to keep the plays in front, he just may lack the personnel to play man in this scheme. I DO know this year that the DL gap integrity has been REALLY lax, especially compared to last year. I can't explain that. We used to over-emphasize the DL crashing down the line and DEs would lose contain that way. Now, we lose contain blasting upfield and being taken out of the play that way. I have no idea what they're seeing on the all-22 that makes that seem better... So I dunno if losing GW is better or if it's really an issue of personnel depth at this moment.

Even still, with a consistent HC like David Shaw helming an offense running the P/E system with Goff at the helm with all the tools we have now???

Yeah... we'd be DOMINANT. I'd make the caps bigger, but you get the point.

And THAT may be a lot of why folks are upset. At varying levels of fan "expertise", we can SEE the parts...we can SEE what's there. Some can see how some parts fit together. I think that if these parts are configured this way...we have ourselves a Supercar capable of winning it all...more than once. To once again tread Rams holy ground...potentially capable of eclipsing the GSOT.

I dunno if that's what others see, but that's what I see and that's why I sometimes get frustrated... to see that Fisher may get an extension...to see that we may saddle Goff with this broken, hybrid, craptastic scheme that doesn't have answers for every scenario or every personnel situation (we've seen with NE that P/E certainly DOES)...well...it's frustrating.

Still, I'm encouraged. A few years ago, we couldn't say we had the parts, even. Now, I think we have the parts. And we really COULD be dominant. Of that, I'm 100% convinced.

The KEYS would be switching to a P/E offense and having someone like David Shaw to helm it. (I'd say or a Harbaugh because I've drawn the parallels of Fisher to Singletary's 9ers a number of times, but I'm not picky)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
2) Install the Perkins/Earhardt offense.
They did (McDaniels).
I said a week or so ago that THAT'S the system they should have left in place, but Fisher came in and brought Schotty's Coryell in with him.
Still encouraging to see receivers get open though. Maybe we'll invent a new system instead of using variants.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick and Britt are both FAs this off-season.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Unless we win 10 games this year and make the payoffs, I agree it's time to fire Fisher.
I would let this season play out though.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, McD f'd up the installation... there's supposed to be a migration path out there...somewhere.

He expected everyone to simply BE in the system...and it doesn't work that way. A full P/E installation is supposed to take around 2 years...give or take. It takes much longer, but nets significant results

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, McD f'd up the installation... there's supposed to be a migration path out there...somewhere.
I think he did incorporate it slowly. We just didn't have the talent, and there was a truncated off-season to work on it. I saw him tweak his offense several times during the year too. During the Green Bay game, everyone seemed to be getting the hang of it (mostly), and then ... injury to the QB (again).

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Coaching and Offense are busted. WE all know that and your suggestions make sense. Just wish Demoff and Kroenke will pull the trigger on a change. Did they really want to open in a new market and stadium with this weekly shit show? I said to my son before the game, be prepared to get your heart broken again, be prepared to be .500, be prepared for more Fisher ball. It wont change until hes out!! Would think someone as business savvy will recognize the need to change soon.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think he did incorporate it slowly. We just didn't have the talent, and there was a truncated off-season to work on it. I saw him tweak his offense several times during the year too. During the Green Bay game, everyone seemed to be getting the hang of it (mostly), and then ... injury to the QB (again).

I'll have to trust you on that. I've pretty much flushed all of the McD year.

Still, I don't think that changes anything about THIS team or what THIS team needs to do in order to be dominant.

I really think that Goff in the P/E would be NEXT LEVEL special... coupled with Gurley...

raw

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll have to trust you on that. I've pretty much flushed all of the McD year.

Still, I don't think that changes anything about THIS team or what THIS team needs to do in order to be dominant.

I really think that Goff in the P/E would be NEXT LEVEL special... coupled with Gurley...

raw
I agree. But who's gonna bring that system in, and run it?
The only option is to keep this particular system in place and rep it until it's second nature.
If this game is any indication of how it can run, then it can't be all bad.
We'll have to see it against an elite defense, though. That's the barometer.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Quick and Britt are both FAs this off-season.

I've thought about this as well. It's not going to be cheap to retain them at this rate. Having said that, they aren't super-stars, and don't have an overly large body at work, so they shouldn't be breaking the bank either. The Rams haven't had good WRs in years. We need to retain our big body wide outs.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Have you ever walked into a gas station restroom and wondered; how in the hell did shit splatter get that far up the wall? Today was incredibly exciting until the last 4 minutes that is................................ you know the rest.

I am not sure what needs to change but something certainly isn't right.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Rams? Pats level dominance??

c1a1d6abab0763d8142e0f9d8f8118c23b7c2c6d.jpg

YES. Maybe beyond that. Maybe you don't realize how dump truck stupid Brady and Big Ben are, but sheesh. Their football IQs are high, sure, but still. That system allows them to maximize what they have.

Goff may be young and a bit goofy, but he's not stupid.

A consistent and consistently smart HC like David Shaw helming a team running the P/E?

That's us having someone like Brady...WITH receiving weapons....WITH a /slash weapon in Tavon...and WITH Gurley!!!

Honestly, what would Brady do if he had Quick, Britt, Tavon and Gurley??? Just those guys?

Good LORD!!! They'd be prohibitive favorites. Heck, they're prohibitive favorites when they have a nearly healthy Gronk and ONE decent slot receiver!

So, YEAH...HELL YEAH!!! Give me Goff in the P/E with our crew?

That mess would be stupid how good we could be. Just...stupid. Record setting, even.

I'm just saying... I got slammed for the negative stuff I saw that came to be because...patterns.

Well, this is a positive pattern I see. With this personnel grouping matched with that system... the combination sims in my brain as...almost off the chart.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I agree. But who's gonna bring that system in, and run it?
The only option is to keep this particular system in place and rep it until it's second nature.
If this game is any indication of how it can run, then it can't be all bad.
We'll have to see it against an elite defense, though. That's the barometer.

Well, I'd hire David Shaw as the HC and lean on him to work with Les Snead to find the best OC to bring in the P/E.

That's how I'd do it.

EasyE

Starter
i dont know what to hope for anymore...just flabbergasted and ill from all the losing and injuries and bad luck... did we really use up all the football gods luck in the '99 season?

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I've thought about this as well. It's not going to be cheap to retain them at this rate. Having said that, they aren't super-stars, and don't have an overly large body at work, so they shouldn't be breaking the bank either. The Rams haven't had good WRs in years. We need to retain our big body wide outs.

I disagree. I'm not sure the league would be willing to risk big money to either.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I agree with the OP. Everyone "could" be. It takes a lot to be all you could be. But it could happen.