Rams' Cory Littleton, the NFL's punt-blocking master

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/39199/rams-cory-littleton-the-nfls-punt-block-master

By : Lindsey Thiry

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- There's the boom, the thud, followed by the cheers.

It's the soundtrack of a blocked punt, a tune the players on the Los Angeles Rams punt coverage team have grown accustomed to hearing, and one they said will never grow old.

The Rams have blocked five punts since the start of last season. No other team in the NFL has blocked more than two.

And four of the Rams' blocks have been made by Cory Littleton.

"He just does it man," running back Malcolm Brown said. "I mean, I ain't ever seen nothing like it."

Last Sunday in a lopsided victory over the San Francisco 49ers, Littleton bolted past the long-snapper and laid out his 6-foot-3, 228-pound frame to block a punt that bounced out the back of the end zone and resulted in a safety.

It was Littleton's second blocked punt this season.

"You never know, but you always expect it," Littleton said, when asked if he anticipated that he would get to the ball. "I mean one thing we do, we live and die by the sword. If I miss a block and I hit the punter and we get a penalty, it sucks. But if I block it, it's all good."

And for Littleton and the Rams' special teams unit, it's been all good.

"Cory has elite get-off," Rams coach Sean McVay said. "He's just got a great feel for it. Certain players have a knack for certain things, and I think we've seen Cory consistently show up."

An undrafted free agent from the University of Washington in 2016, Littleton played mostly for special-teams coordinator John Fassel his first two seasons before coaches moved him into the starting lineup at inside linebacker this year. Through seven games, he has a team-high 58 tackles and eight pass deflections, as well as an interception.

"He's a playmaker, man," defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. "He's a playmaker."

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said Littleton has played as well as any linebacker in the NFL in defending the run and the pass.

"He's way ahead of everybody in the league as far as pass coverage," Phillips said. "And obviously, he's playing well against the run and he's having a really good year."

But it's Littleton's knack for blocking punts that continues to draw attention, given that he alone has two more blocked punts in two seasons than any team in the league.

"This past game, he dang near jumped from like 5 yards back," Brown said. "So he's comfortable with it and knows exactly what to do."

Last season, in 10-point victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars, Littleton charged up the middle to block a punt that Brown returned 8 yards for a touchdown.

Three weeks later, Littleton burst through the protection again and laid out for a block in a blowout victory over the New York Giants. Running back Todd Gurley II scored a touchdown on the ensuing possession.

And this season, despite playing more than 90 percent of the snaps on defense, Littleton hasn't let up on special teams.

Against the Los Angeles Chargers, Littleton flew past the long-snapper to block a punt, and Blake Countess recovered the ball for a touchdown.

"Most of punt teams' protections, we figure out how to get Cory one-on-one with the long-snapper," receiver Josh Reynolds said. "And you know, I'm not knocking any long-snappers, but they're not as athletic as other positions on the field, so it's definitely a mismatch."

Littleton is hesitant to discuss his punt-blocking ability, fearful that opponents will soon catch on to Fassel and his scheming secrets.

"I've got a good special-teams coach," Littleton said. "And he puts me in situations where I have an opportunity, and I make the most of it."

But when asked how Littleton so often was able to break free, teammates shook their head, almost confused as they discussed it aloud about how opponents continued to let Littleton get away.

"I think, why don't teams block this man," Brown said. "But like I said, it just happens, and now it's almost kind of regular."

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
"I think, why don't teams block this man," Brown said. "But like I said, it just happens, and now it's almost kind of regular."
It is amazing that he's still blocking punts. You would think that other team's ST units, when preparing to play the Rams, would make a special emphasis on blocking him on punts. But it looks like he just runs right by the snapper without being touched.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
By far Cory Littleton is our best performing LB'er. He can play all four LB'ing post with the same results....playmaker!

Cory has a unusual rare ability to get skinny & ghost treading blowing through the LOS as a pass rusher. I would expect Wade to increase Cory's pass rush talents from this point on in order to find an outside rush pressure from his LB'ers.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
By far Cory Littleton is our best performing LB'er. He can play all four LB'ing post with the same results....playmaker!

Cory has a unusual rare ability to get skinny & ghost treading blowing through the LOS as a pass rusher. I would expect Wade to increase Cory's pass rush talents from this point on in order to find an outside rush pressure from his LB'ers.

You raise an interesting point here, Bonifay.

Why couldn’t Littleton play OLB instead of Longacre?

Surely one of Wilson, Hager, or Kiser could fill in at ILB?

Seems to me that the result of the double move would be a net gain for the D.

Unless I’m missing something?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It is amazing that he's still blocking punts. You would think that other team's ST units, when preparing to play the Rams, would make a special emphasis on blocking him on punts. But it looks like he just runs right by the snapper without being touched.

His first step is too fast for a lot of the long snappers to respond to. He's been close a couple of other times.

He's an UFA........yet another Snead gem!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
His first step is too fast for a lot of the long snappers to respond to. He's been close a couple of other times.

He's an UFA........yet another Snead gem!!!

Hey Les I'll do you a favor ....send you your first feel of fall Saturday....thank me later will be fine;).

Cory will also be a RFA in 5 months. Maybe Snead & Demoff will go ahead & lock CL down to a nice long term contract early:thinking:.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hey Les I'll do you a favor ....send you your first feel of fall Saturday....thank me later will be fine;).

Cory will also be a RFA in 5 months. Maybe Snead & Demoff will go ahead & lock CL down to a nice long term contract early:thinking:.

I'm glad fall is here!!!

As a FL resident I think you will agree this was a summer filled with TOO MUCH rain.

I'm was over it weeks ago but that didn't stop it!

IMO they will have a deal done with CL pretty quickly, can't let this guy get away..........

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Oh, Littleton is a lock to be extended. They’re not gonna fool around with that RFA baloney.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sign the man, Snead! :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You raise an interesting point here, Bonifay.

Why couldn’t Littleton play OLB instead of Longacre?

Surely one of Wilson, Hager, or Kiser could fill in at ILB?

Seems to me that the result of the double move would be a net gain for the D.

Unless I’m missing something?
For those who read my posts its known that I have been advocating the use of CL outside for sometime. I was thinking that once Mark Barron had returned to the starting ILB 'er lineup that would be the case. But as usual nothing is as simple.

* The Barron injury elelment has been on shaky grounds now for the last 3 gms. MB has averaged 2 tackles a gm with 4 assists...zero sacks, zero INT's & zero fumbles caused bottom line Barron has had little impact with even less playmaking moments. The stat not shown is the numerous missed tackles near the LOS that have resulted in big run gains is seriously disturbing. CL is averaging 5 tackles a gm with 2 sacks & many other big plays he has made. Barron is issue inside period.

* As pointed out Wade has had issues all year long @ OLB'er injuries starting with Og Okoronkwo, Carlos Thompson, Garrett Sickles, Matt Longacre, Morgan Fox, Dom Easley, then Matt Longacre again & now Trevon Young who is now out with a back issue. Coaches Wade/Barry have two healthy OLB'ers @ the moment....Lawler & Ebukam.

* Bryce Hager who played the complete 4th quarter in the 9rs gm for the rested Cory Littleton is in full health just as Micah Kiser is both are MLB'ers. Ramik Wilson who is Barron back up also played the 4th quarter in the 9ers gm too & IMO looked faster & more of a sure tackler than Barron has.

* McVay said that DE Franklin-Myers would see a good bit of action @ OLB'er this week against the Packers. That DL Tanzel Smart will get & see his first 2018 action in place of Franklin-Myers. McVay also spoke on the health of Brockers (shoulder) & Suh's (swollen knee). I have not seen anything in Smart's play since he ariived that will make me feel good about seeing more of him.

Rams43 I agree that Hager or Kiser should be an easy plug in at this time in this season to permit CL to see more action on the OLB'er posts but with all that going on in this defense now I would guess since the Rams continue to win they will just let this play out as is until the losses begin come fast & heavy.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Rams43 I agree that Hager or Kiser should be an easy plug in at this time in this season to permit CL to see more action on the OLB'er posts but with all that going on in this defense now I would guess since the Rams continue to win they will just let this play out as is until the losses begin come fast & heavy.
So you are anticipating a lot of losses coming for the Rams and the coaches are too stupid to do anything about it, or did I miss read your post?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wow I think you misread that lol
Maybe. There was absolutely no punctuation in than last paragraph, so it is hard to read. Just seemed like the last part was saying the losses were coming fast and heavy, lol.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Littleton is also like 6th in tackles.

I couldn't say it enough before the season started. I knew Littleton was going to show out!

My only hope now is that he is in love with this team and culture and wants to stay.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
"Most of punt teams' protections, we figure out how to get Cory one-on-one with the long-snapper," receiver Josh Reynolds said. "And you know, I'm not knocking any long-snappers, but they're not as athletic as other positions on the field, so it's definitely a mismatch."

Littleton is hesitant to discuss his punt-blocking ability, fearful that opponents will soon catch on to Fassel and his scheming secrets.
Littleton: “Yo Josh. Shut the hell up!”

* The Barron injury elelment has been on shaky grounds now for the last 3 gms. MB has averaged 2 tackles a gm with 4 assists...zero sacks, zero INT's & zero fumbles caused bottom line Barron has had little impact with even less playmaking moments. The stat not shown is the numerous missed tackles near the LOS that have resulted in big run gains is seriously disturbing. CL is averaging 5 tackles a gm with 2 sacks & many other big plays he has made. Barron is issue inside period.
I normally like your takes Boni but I’m not sure I could disagree more with this take. Our run defense has improved markedly since the return of Barron. Barron made the game changing tackle for a safety last week, WHILE being tackled by a 300 pound lineman. I see Barron making plays - period. He also can cover TEs. Whereas Barron may at times be a liability in tackling one on one, he plays fast and smart enough to at least BE in the play more than any of our other options.

The reason Littleton is not manning the OLB spot is that not only is he small for the position (about the same size as Barron), but he calls the defense, and is our best ILB. At 228 lbs, I really hope we don’t put CL at OLB for anything more than a few mismatch plays here and there.

BTW, the long TD run by the Packers went right by Littleton. Yeah he was held but he was already out of position. He’s a very good player but it happens. It’s pretty hard even for him to shed that “block” at 228.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe. There was absolutely no punctuation in than last paragraph, so it is hard to read. Just seemed like the last part was saying the losses were coming fast and heavy, lol.
Yes I sure could have wrote that "conclusion paragraph" to @Rams43 question much better:oops:.

As we all know the situation @ OLB'er/ ER has now change due to the trade with the Jags to find a extra healthy OLB'er who can produce some pressure from the outside. Dante Fowler Jr should help this defense with this particular weakness. I also read that OLB'er Trevon Young's back has improved too. In addition 9 more days has passed since I posted my comments where OLB'er Og Okoronwko getting additional practice in prepping him to finally see some action in his first NFL regular seson game. All of that is positive stuff on this subject of OLB'er.

I would also mention that due to the above....Wade will not have to utilize our 6-4 290 LB DL'er John Frankin-Myers @ OLB'er. JFM should be more avalable in the DL roattion to help freshen up our 3 starting DL'ers. I sure like what I see in this rookie DL! I was not lookig forward to watching Tanzel Smart relieving Aaron Donald for a rest against the Saints.

Hopefully now MLB Cory Littleton now can fully focus on the duties assigned to that important position in the middle of our defense. I still expect to see CL to have his moments getting pressure up the middle today in order to sack Brees. CL's ability to get skinny through the middle of the LOS is highly unusual & rare. :bow:

So you are anticipating a lot of losses coming for the Rams and the coaches are too stupid to do anything about it, or did I miss read your post?
It would not surprise me if the Rams stand @ 8-3 (Saints/Seahawks/KC) going into our bye week. Today the Saints/Payton/Brees will be :D in anticipation of abusing corners Marcus Peters & Troy Hill on the outside with thier wide outs. Wade will have to use corners Dom Hatfield & Darious Williams in place of the non active corners Aqib Talib & Sam Shields.:palm:

I have a very high opinion of the Rams coaches & consider them to be one of the best coaching cadre's in the NFL.....far from being stupid;)