1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams' core was in place when Fisher arrived

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by -X-, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Thordaddy Binding you with ancient logic

Well regardless what you call it,it's jack crap to show for the draft position we had and it's not seriously more left over than what most new coaches inherit, not one has as yet made the Pro bowl ,but will under Fisher.
    You COULD have read ANY NUMBER of Pre draft evaluation publications done NO scouting and drafted as well as the last bunch did , so ,core? maybe but not enough IMO to trumpet it as a reason to diminish what Fisher gets done here.
    Spags and Co sucked ,what they were supposed to pass on draft choices? blind hogs find acorns.

2. nighttrain Well-Known Member

Winner winner!
    If what we had was a core, i'd pass on that apple
    train

2 people like this.
  3. Angry Ram aka Captain RAmerica aka the OG Rammer

I think your underestimating the intangibles JL brings. He's a true QB of the defense and captain. He's not the most physical but he's a tough football player. I can't think of very many 4-3 MLBs I'd rather have over him, except maybe Luke Kuechly and a healthy Sean Lee.

Re draft slots, in 2008 the Rams could've easily gone for Glenn Dorsey. How would that be looking now?

And not to turn this into a Sam/Suh debate, but had the Rams taken Ndamukong Suh there would be no gaurentee the Rams would pick where they did in 2011...so no Robert Quinn or even Cam Newton b/c chances are they wouldn't pick 1st again.

It changes everything.

4. Thordaddy Binding you with ancient logic

Yeah and I took that article as a Spags wasn't so bad article, and I'd disagree with that until the cows hatch.

5. Ram Quixote Knight Errant

I took the article to mean Devaney wasn't so bad, and I agree. There was a disconnect between the GM and the HC in 2011, which cost the team several developmental players.

2 people like this.
  6. Thordaddy Binding you with ancient logic

I've heard that said enough times I think there is something to that,ONE OF my issues with Spags was how he loaded up with older players ( who predictably are more injury prone ) which fits with let people go who had potential.
    George Selvie anyone?

7. BigRamFan Living the life Jimmy Buffett only sang about.

Yeah, every time I see the cowgirls play it pisses me off the he's there. I always liked him as a player.

8. Sum1 Well-Known Member

Quinn is the most dominant defensive player...Lauranatis is the leading tackler...and Long is the leader.

I think it's fair to consider those 3 players the core.

9. Angry Ram aka Captain RAmerica aka the OG Rammer

Whoa now...George Selvie bounced around a few teams and is only playing b/c the Cowboys have so many DL injuries. He's playing well though now, I'll give him that. 7th round picks don't get that many chances.

10. nighttrain Well-Known Member

including SB, that's 4 out of 22 starters, small core filled with bad spots
    train

11. Thordaddy Binding you with ancient logic

Same here

12. V3 Well-Known Member

Was going to bring up the same thing. If it isn't personnel, then it must be coaching. I personally think it's both but that's a pretty big statement by Quinn, IMO.

13. V3 Well-Known Member

He explicitly says, "It's nothing to do with the personnel". He's saying it's not due to the players. He may say "We'll" but I think he's just using that to say the Rams as a team think they have it schemed correctly. The coaches are the one responsible for calling the plays. The coaches are the ones responsible to making adjustments when they see something not working. The coaches are the ones responsible for coming up with ways to beat the other team. The players just need to execute. Sometimes there has been poor execution, sometimes there has just been poor coaching, and other times there's been both. But what Quinn said is pretty well defined, IMO. He's saying the coaches aren't putting the players in the best position to succeed. If that's not what he meant, then he needs to clarify it because that's what his words suggest. The reporter should have pounced on that and had a follow up question to clarify.

14. RamBammer New Member

But other than the players listed there isn't one player from the Spags years on the team. Of the ones on the list Saffold is a definite question mark. Neither safety has proven to be what I would call a core player. If you compare this list to the list of players drafted by Sned and fisher

Defense
    Brockers, Michael
    Jenkins, Janoris
    McDonald, T.J.
    Ogletree, Alec
    Offense
    Austin, Tavon
    Givens, Chris
    Hekker, Johnny
    Stacy, Zac
    Zuerlein, Greg
    In the wings
    Bailey, Stedman
    Quick, Brian
    McLeod, Rodney
    McGee, Brandon
    Armstrong, Ray-Ray

15. Sum1 Well-Known Member

I was only speaking to the defense.

16. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Agree. Kinda maddening that they almost never pry. It's like they're afraid to get someone mad and risk falling out of favor with them.

17. Thordaddy Binding you with ancient logic

AH ,I'd just as soon they let that dog sleep.

18. fancents86 Well-Known Member

A core is when you have a few good players on both sides of the ball that you can build from. Use the word foundation if it helps.

19. lasvegasrams Well-Known Member

Whether the core was in place or not doesn't take away from the fact that under Snead and Fisher, the Rams are in much better shape now than 2 years ago.

20. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

I don't think I'd put too much in the quote by Quinn. Hell, seasoned PR guys mis-speak all the time. Do we really think a 23 year old DE in the NFL has his terms all straight when he is offering up sound bites? I honestly think if that is what he felt, he wouldn't say it for fear of reprisal and also because of what it could potentially do to the team's future. I would instead suggest that what he means is that they all think they have the right plan and then something goes awry. Missed tackles, a player on the other team has a hot hand, etc... Sure much of that can be argued that it is on the coaches but when he says it's not the personnel, I think he is just saying that they have a good team.

2 people like this.