Rams Confident In Stacy As Feature Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

By Jonathan Webb

[www.stlouisrams.com]

Les Snead and Jeff Fisher both praised Zac Stacy's rookie campaign and expressed confidence in utilizing him as a feature back moving forward.

While the Rams could figure to upgrade at a variety of positions in May’s draft, the team has perhaps never been more confident in who will carry the load at running back in 2014.

Rams General Manager Les Snead expects the second-year back only figures to build upon his rookie season, a year that featured 973 rushing yards in just 14 games, including 12 starts.

“I think he should be more productive because he’ll have more carries,” Snead said, alluding to Stacy’s position as the Rams’ feature back entering next season. “When we drafted him, he’s got nice patience, a nice vision, and if you really analyze running backs, a lot of those guys are the most successful. Because of those traits, it makes you think he can keep continue doing it.”

Stacy, who was a fifth-round selection out of Vanderbilt University last year, established himself as perhaps the signature member of the Rams’ offense in 2013, tallying four games of 100 or more yards rushing, despite not receiving a start until the fifth game of the season.

While entering the season entrenched as the team’s starter will naturally lead to a boost in volume for Stacy, Snead also emphasized the need to keep the second-year back fresh through the year to maximize his effectiveness in the season’s final weeks.

Upon being named the team’s starter in Week 5, Stacy received 25 or more carries in five of his 12 starts, the most such games of any Rams running back since the team moved to St. Louis in 1995. The high carry count was in part a product of a run-oriented offense that was amplified following QB Sam Bradford’s torn ACL in the season’s seventh week.

Despite the heavy workload, Stacy’s production did not wane in the latter weeks of the year, as he posted consecutive 100-yard games in Weeks 15 and 16. Still, the prospect of Stacy starting each of the Rams’ 2014 games could mean the back may receive a more occasional respite in the season’s first half.

“In our league, you want to have him fresh in December and January versus October,” Snead said.

Snead’s outlook on the Rams’ running back situation represents a successful development of Stacy, whom the Rams drafted last spring in hopes of finding a long-term successor to Steven Jackson, who had held the mantle of feature back in St. Louis for the preceding eight seasons.

It would appear the Rams are preparing Stacy for a long-term stay as well.

laramsoriginal

Starter
This off-season will be huge for Pead. Stacy is a nice back but the rams need another RB they can depend on and Pead has the athletic ability to change things up

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Carlos Hyde in the 4th or Marion Grice in the 5th.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Carlos Hyde in the 4th or Marion Grice in the 5th.

Don't know if Hyde makes it down that far. Would be nice to pair him with Stacy behind a newly fashioned line in the Rams power running game though agreed. Jeremy Hill might be a nice fit too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Don't know if Hyde makes it down that far. Would be nice to pair him with Stacy behind a newly fashioned line in the Rams power running game though agreed. Jeremy Hill might be a nice fit too.
I haven't looked at Hill,but yeah i'd like to see another power back like Hyde drop into our laps if he's high on our board in the 4th rd. Not a priority pick by any means...but i'm not sold yet on Stacy carrying a heavy load for 16 gms.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Nothing against Stacy; I have all of the confidence in the world in him. But the Rams were also confident in D Rich last year. Zac Stacy I think is truly a #1 RB, a guy who can carry the load. D Rich is almost purely a change of pace back and was hurt last year which hurt his production, but the Rams still thought he could be the guy.

I will say this...getting Stacy in the 5th round is the best pick that Snead has made since he's been here

laramsoriginal

Starter
If some of you guys want Hyde then be prepared to take him in the 2nd round. In most player rankings I've read, Hyde is rated 2nd best rb at worst. If the rams can acquire multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd I would like to see the rams draft Hyde.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm confident in him when he's on the field. But I think we need a good backup that can catch the football.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm confident in him when he's on the field. But I think we need a good backup that can catch the football.
and Pead can be that guy,but if he isn't IMO he's gone

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
images

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the Rams RB situation.

For me; Stacy is the real deal.

Behind him: DR, Pead, and Cunningham... I'm good. With a bolstered OL we can run well with these guys.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like the Rams RB situation.

For me; Stacy is the real deal.

Behind him: DR, Pead, and Cunningham... I'm good. With a bolstered OL we can run well with these guys.

Guess I'm a tad more concerned, Stacy had some real durablity issues and is he the type of back that you keep pounding away and eventually he breaks through like Lynch? I'm not a fan of Richardson, he can't block is a liability in pass protection and IMO his speed is overrated. I would like to see another RB added who offers more and as to Pead has he finally grown up or is he that hot girl in college that keeps dropping you time and time again?