Rams Combine Notebook: March 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Combine Notebook: March 3

By Myles Simmons

INDIANAPOLIS — Friday was the first official day of on-field workouts, with offensive linemen and running backs taking to the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium. Meanwhile, quarterbacks, tight ends, and wide receivers put their best foot forward meeting wit the media. Here are a few notes from the day.

1) What Kromer wants in an offensive lineman

New Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer has been around the league long enough to know exactly what to look for during drills at the Combine. But he said he feels like the in-person interviews are probably more valuable when it comes to the week in Indy.

“The way I like to look at these guys at the Combine, is I’m trying to find out whether they can learn football first,” Kromer told therams.com. “So the interviews are really the most productive thing for me, just an opportunity to teach them something and see if they can teach it back to me.

“Also, just when they are working out, and they are doing their drills, that goes so far,” Kromer continued. “So, they’ve got to know what to do, how to do it, and continue to do the right thing over and over. You can find more about that in the interview than you can actually on the field in the drills, so I really spend a lot of time and really like the interview process of the Combine.”

We’ll have more in Kromer in a full feature on the site this weekend.

2) RBs impress with 40 times

Former LSU running back Leonard Fournette may not have had the best vertical jump, but his speed was certainly impressive for his size. Fournette, who checked in at 6-feet and 240 pounds ran an official 4.51 40-yard dash.

That time put Fournette right in line with another notable running back, Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey. He ran a 4.48 40 to go along with his 37.5-inch vertical and 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump.

McCaffrey, however, is listed at 5-foot-11 and 202 pounds. So for Fournette to only be .03 behind the Stanford product in 40 time says something about his athleticism.

T.J. Logan of North Carolina finished with the best 40 time of any running back at 4.37.

3) What are Smith-Schuster’s best qualities?

For some hometown flavor, USC wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster was at the podium on Friday afternoon and received a question about his best qualities as a receiver. He listed three: his football I.Q., his toughness, and how competitive he is.

“I’m tough. I played through a broken hand,” he said. “And just very competitive — willing to work, willing to put my body out there on the line.”

Plus, there’s been a bit of buzz around a quarterback who won’t be draft eligible for another year — USC’s Sam Darnold. Smith-Schuster revealed he’s worked out with both Rams quarterback Jared Goff and Eagles signal-caller Carson Wentz in the past, particularly as he prepares for his own draft process. So how does Darnold stack up?

“Sam Darnold’s up there. That’s probably one guy I would take from my team right now,” the wideout said.

High praise, indeed.

4) How would Trubisky about feel heading home?

Speaking of North Carolina, quarterback Mitchell (not Mitch) Trubisky’s hometown, Mentor, Ohio, is about 30 minutes east of Downtown Cleveland. The Browns, of course, hold the No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 draft. So how would the Northeast Ohio native feel to have his name called by the team he grew up rooting for at the top of the draft?

“I’m going to be excited wherever I go,” Trubisky said. “I have a lot of pride in where I’m from — that being my hometown. But no matter what team selects me, I’m going to be super excited and I’m going to work as hard as possible wherever I go. It’s been a dream of mine to play in the NFL since I was a little kid. So whoever picks me, it’s going to be a dream come true.”

Standard, middle of the road answer. But I’d bet he’d be ecstatic.

[www.therams.com]

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the Kromer approach and I would really be happy if we ended up with JuJu somehow also.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Love the Kromer approach and I would really be happy if we ended up with JuJu somehow also.

No doubt. Kromer is lookin for non-retards, and I applaud him for that. Gotta think he brings in one of those centers, there's about 5 of them that will slot from rounds 2 through 5. Need & value should be there.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gotta think he brings in one of those centers, there's about 5 of them that will slot from rounds 2 through 5. Need & value should be there.

I like Jon Toth from Kentucky....He has a great Center name a short surname like Iman, Saul & Smith!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Toth had a fine senior season and career at Kentucky. He started 47 straight games and was a big part of the Wildcats having a team average of 5.5 yards per carry. Toth has good size to be a center in the NFL and enough athleticism. He had a decent week at the Senior Bowl. Toth has strength in his base and developed technique.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017C.php

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Jon Toth from Kentucky

Toth had a fine senior season and career at Kentucky.
And he played 3-4 years blocking Allen from Alabama...Caleb Brantley from Florida, and Montravius Adams from Auburn. He's basically been getting pro reps by playing in the SEC. I really like his game, I doubt he could start at his current size. But you never know.

1) What Kromer wants in an offensive lineman

New Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer has been around the league long enough to know exactly what to look for during drills at the Combine. But he said he feels like the in-person interviews are probably more valuable when it comes to the week in Indy.

“The way I like to look at these guys at the Combine, is I’m trying to find out whether they can learn football first,” Kromer told therams.com. “So the interviews are really the most productive thing for me, just an opportunity to teach them something and see if they can teach it back to me.
http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

NFL Draft Rumor Mill

Rams Leaning OL in Round 2, WR in Round 3
Updated March 4, 2017
By Charlie Campbell.

In many recent years, the Rams were a power player in the NFL Draft, as they had a boat load of picks from their 2012 trade with the Redskins. Last year, the Rams went the opposite direction, giving up a huge haul to move from 15th to first overall in order to select quarterback Jared Goff. The 2016 season was ugly as Goff played horribly behind a weak offensive line and a receiving corps that lacked talent. Los Angeles changed out its coaching staff, but the roster weaknesses remain. Los Angeles is without its first-round pick, and one of its third-round choices went to the Titans, so the Rams are lacking resources to improve. In speaking with sources with the Rams, upgrading the offensive line and wide receivers are the goals for the offseason and 2017 NFL Draft.

Between the offensive line and wide receivers, it sounds like the line is the priority in the second round. The Rams selected left tackle Greg Robinson with the second-overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, and Robinson has been a massive disappointment. He is approaching bust category and could be moved to guard or right tackle if the Rams are able to land an upgrade at left tackle. Utah tackle Garett Bolles could be an option if he slips to the second round. Western Kentucky guard Forrest Lamp is another blocker who could land in Los Angeles. The offensive line prospects are less talented than the wide receivers - check out our 2017 NFL Draft Offensive Tackle Rankings - and the Rams could land a quality wide receiver in the third round.

The Rams put a ton of resources into Goff, so the organization hierarchy of Les Snead and Kevin Demoff needs Goff to show significant improvement in 2016. Giving him better blocking and more receiving talent could improve the chances of Goff making a big jump in year two.

Teams Question Ryan Ramczyk's Love of Football; Garett Bolles Impresses
Updated March 3, 2017
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

A couple of days ago, WalterFootball.com heard from teams that Alabama offensive tackle Cam Robinson interviewed well at the NFL Scouting Combine. Robinson is in the running to be the first tackle selected, and the other two candidates who could challenge for that designation are Utah's Garett Bolles and Wisconsin's Ryan Ramczyk; they are all in the top three of our 2017 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings.

In reaching out to multiple team sources who interviewed them, both players received positive feedback overall. Surprisingly, Ramczyk was maybe the least impressive of the trio according to teams.

Sources said that Ramczyk seems like a good kid and they don't have any off-the-field concerns about him. They don't worry at all that he could get into any trouble or fail tests. However, Ramczyk only played one season of big-time Division I football, and they said that his football knowledge reflected that lack of experience. He is behind Robinson in that regard after Robinson started three seasons at Alabama.

The other issue for Ramczyk that rubbed some teams the wrong direction is a lack of love for football. It didn't sit well with some team sources that Ramczyk quit playing football after high school. They got the impression that he returned to the field not necessarily out of love for the game, but because he could get special opportunities by playing the game. Those sources have real questions if Ramczyk really loves football, and if he will be fully committed to doing everything in his power to max out as a player.

Meanwhile, Bolles' off-the-field issues are well known around the league after having a rough upbringing. However, sources from multiple teams have said that Bolles has interviewed well. He's been honest and accountable. Sources have come away impressed.

Here were the comments of one team contact: "I'm sure he's got some edge knowing his back story. He was dealt a bad hand that wasn't his fault, so it's a credit to him as a man to have persevered to where he is. Some of your greatest warriors have that type of makeup, and that's why they are trustworthy when time comes to battle. I'm sure a lot of people misunderstand him and don't know how to talk or deal with a guy who comes from the life perspective that he does. He's been great this week; very compliant, lots of personality and the other offensive linemen really like the dude. I guess it depends on the coach and his personal preference because nobody who coaches or plays in this league has all their screws in place and if they say they do, they're a total BS'er."

While the 2017 tackle class isn't a deep group of talented players, at least the players with off-the-field concerns like Robinson and Bolles have used to combine to improve their image with NFL teams. That could help all three to be first-round picks.

If we come out of this draft with Toth & Bolles....no matter what else happens (Damn I hoping Jarrad Davis falls to the 3rd round...we need him too...eff a wide receiver!) we win this draft...we need some serious players.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd steer clear of Bolles personally. Him and Ramczyk. Rams can't afford to whiff on that pick with a clown who's gonna quit after he gets paid.

We gotta hit a home run with that round 2 pick and then get at least a couple other starter types in rounds 3/4/5. If I am Snead it's all about board value there at 2, get an impact player even if it's a position we don't need.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
1) What Kromer wants in an offensive lineman.The way I like to look at these guys at the Combine, is I’m trying to find out whether they can learn football first,” Kromer told therams.com. “So the interviews are really the most productive thing for me, just an opportunity to teach them something and see if they can teach it back to me..... working out, and they are doing their drills, that goes so far,” Kromer continued. “So, they’ve got to know what to do, how to do it, and continue to do the right thing over and over.
I wonder if GRob has seen this:heh:?:popcorn:

Bruce2980

Starter
I wonder if GRob has seen this:heh:?:popcorn:
I think that can be said of our entire o-line last year. 3rd and goal at the one, the RG pulls to the left, Gurley goes straight into the vacant hole, except now it is filled with 3 defenders.

How many times did the o-line pull one direction to have one o-lineman pull the other way and tripping o-linemen in their wake? That is on hell of a play call. No defensive coordinator would have ever guessed that play call.

How many times did the defense come crashing through the o-line untouched? I bet it happened more in one game for the LA Rams than the entire season for the Cheatriots.

Limey

Rookie
Remember seeing Coach Boo playing a big part at GRob's Pro Day, and reading that he had lobbied hard for that No2 pick to be spent on GRob. Maybe a bit more of the Kromer approach and we might have picked a quicker learner.