Rams.com: Hill Promoted to Active Roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1213-Approaching-a-Record/968587cb-93a2-4156-8f4e-60a406967beb

HILL PROMOTED TO ACTIVE ROSTER

With Harkey placed on injured reserve and the Rams’ secondary looking like it will be without a couple players on Thursday, Los Angeles promoted cornerback Troy Hill from the practice squad to the active roster on Tuesday.

Hill was waived on Nov. 22 after an off-the-field incident that is now still a legal matter. Hill said after Tuesday’s practice that he’s grateful to have another chance with L.A.

“I’m just going to take this and run with it, be humbled and thankful for everything that’s going on. And just learn from it and keep growing,” Hill said.

The cornerback has 37 total tackles and three passes defensed in nine games — four starts — in the 2016 season. Now back up from the practice squad, Hill said he wants to show that he’s improved even in the few weeks where he’s just been on the practice squad.

“I’m coming with a lot more here. I’m trying to come out there vicious,” Hill said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder that I’m going to play with. And I want to show everybody that that’s not me.”

While there could have been times Hill doubted he would make it back to the active roster, the cornerback said he tried to stay positive as much as possible.

“I just continually worked and tried to stay ready, and tried to sharpen my tools that I’ve got, so when my opportunity does come, I can come out there and show what I’ve got,” Hill said. “So I didn’t really get too up or too down about the situation. I just came out there and worked every day.”

Debacled

Starter
I do find it kind of ironic that the lack of discipline was one of the biggest gripes when it came to Fisher, but here we are the same week he was let go and they're bringing back one of the few guys he disciplined :help:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought the same thing. Fisher's moronic habit of randomly throwing a little discipline in now and then, on a bit player, but totally ignoring team discipline was laughable.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Small story...I went to lunch yesterday...Some fish spot in the S. Bay area...and I spotted a nice E 63 AMG...'16 or 17....And saw this little guy with a hot girl get in after having lunch. Buddy of mine says, man you didn't say whats up, that guy was a Ram...Now, I know pretty much every starter by face...and I guess he could have been Williams...or maybe Hill...Had to be some backup on defense...Seems like his agent was talking about some serious stuff...

No, no scandal...no drugs or drinking...Just some eating..

Hill should have NEVER been suspended...maybe benched...remember guilty until proven...but I'll be glad to see this secondary out there with the guys that deserve to play, playing. And being held accountable for poor performance. Just from last game we should go Tru, Hill, Jordan...Lets see if someone can intercept a pass out there...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After watching the most pathetic play from top reserve corner Steve Williams last Sunday I am so happy to see Troy Hill back on the master roster. CB veteran Steve Williams should never be active again this season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
After watching the most pathetic play from top reserve corner Steve Williams last Sunday I am so happy to see Troy Hill back on the master roster. CB veteran Steve Williams should never be active again this season.

Agree here and with others that Hill should have never been released, I actually think that led to that rift on the sideline between Fisher & Williams. Glad Hill is back, IMO, Jordan more of a safety then CB and Hill is far better than the others.

Psycho_X

Legend
Huh, I didn't even know we resigned him to the practice squad. I thought we just cut him and let him go completely due to being a moron. Ok, I guess?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Maybe Hill was cut do to violating Team Rules. Otherwise I think they should have waited on the decision.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1213-Approaching-a-Record/968587cb-93a2-4156-8f4e-60a406967beb

HILL PROMOTED TO ACTIVE ROSTER

With Harkey placed on injured reserve and the Rams’ secondary looking like it will be without a couple players on Thursday, Los Angeles promoted cornerback Troy Hill from the practice squad to the active roster on Tuesday.

Hill was waived on Nov. 22 after an off-the-field incident that is now still a legal matter. Hill said after Tuesday’s practice that he’s grateful to have another chance with L.A.

“I’m just going to take this and run with it, be humbled and thankful for everything that’s going on. And just learn from it and keep growing,” Hill said.

The cornerback has 37 total tackles and three passes defensed in nine games — four starts — in the 2016 season. Now back up from the practice squad, Hill said he wants to show that he’s improved even in the few weeks where he’s just been on the practice squad.

“I’m coming with a lot more here. I’m trying to come out there vicious,” Hill said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder that I’m going to play with. And I want to show everybody that that’s not me.”

While there could have been times Hill doubted he would make it back to the active roster, the cornerback said he tried to stay positive as much as possible.

“I just continually worked and tried to stay ready, and tried to sharpen my tools that I’ve got, so when my opportunity does come, I can come out there and show what I’ve got,” Hill said. “So I didn’t really get too up or too down about the situation. I just came out there and worked every day.”
It's time for him to step up and prove he's worth Keeping! I hope he's learned his lesson!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I wonder if Fassel had a say in this? I am looking forward to seeing Hill back on the field.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You didn't see Fisher punishing TJ for his DUI. His inconsistency was absurd. Hill shined a bit, we need to see what we have with him

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You didn't see Fisher punishing TJ for his DUI. His inconsistency was absurd. Hill shined a bit, we need to see what we have with him
Why would he punish him for something that happened in May?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kind of typical though for a starter to not get the same discipline as a back-up. Still, as much as I was pissed at the guy for what he did - ahem... allegedly - he sure seemed to be coming along nicely. Hopefully he learns and grows.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Jordan was burnt repeatedly last week. Hill would certainly be an upgrade.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why would he punish him for something that happened in May?

I don't think the time matters, does it? I was always under the impression that you are to follow the code of ethical behavior year round. I could be wrong, but it would seem to me that you're not just a pro football player and someone to look up to from Sept to Dec.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think the time matters, does it? I was always under the impression that you are to follow the code of ethical behavior year round. I could be wrong, but it would seem to me that you're not just a pro football player and someone to look up to from Sept to Dec.
I just don't recall that ever happening. A player arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of a substance other than alcohol in the offseason, benched for an arraignment in October. He was out with a shoulder injury and missed all of camp. When was Fisher supposed to bench him? For the opener? After he got summoned? Just a weird situation.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just don't recall that ever happening. A player arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of a substance other than alcohol in the offseason, benched for an arraignment in October. He was out with a shoulder injury and missed all of camp. When was Fisher supposed to bench him? For the opener? After he got summoned? Just a weird situation.

It was an odd situation, but I assume it would still fall under a morality clause of sorts. I understand there is also a difference from your starting safety with a clean record to an undrafted, unproven player. Yet, now I'm curious, I know he pled not guilty back in October or earlier November. Say they come back and find him guilty, does he get punished? This obviously isn't a Fisher question anymore. If you're a new coach, how do you play that? Seems lose lose

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This team has made many questionable moves in the secondary, starting with the Janoris Jenkins situation, with him firing his agent because he thought the agent was in cahoots with the Rams and they were low balling him and quite frankly, he might have been right considering the money he received, however, he has lived up to his contract and the Rams should have paid him.

Then E.J. Gaines has turned into Brandon McGee and was not healthy from the outset and just does not look like the same defensive back he was from his rookie year after coming back from Lisfranc Injury and in fact this year the only thing the Rams have been able to rely on is the unreliability of E.J. Gaines.

Troy Hill was tested early and often, but was starting to round into a solid corner and Gaines was starting to come back as well and then they cut Hill. Again the Rams had no plans beyond Hill because they don't have another outside corner. Joyner is a slot corner only along with Countess who should not be on the damn roster IMO. They had others too, like claiming Arizona defensive back Marqui Christian, however, he never plays. They claimed Steve Williams off waivers from the Chargers, but then cut him to claim Dewayne Gratz from Jacksonville only to cut Gratz and sign Steve Williams again once Hill was released as well.

So in the end, Blake Countess can only play the slot, so why did they activate him and Joyner has proven he cannot play on an island, Gratz never got an opportunity and for some reason they have not tried Christian at all, but he stays on the roster. Add in Michael Jordan who IMO is to slow for Corner and looks the part of a safety to me. All in all, you could debate that Troy Hill has been the 2nd best corner on the roster and he was cut, again I understand you want to send a message, but you don't cut your second best CB for that IMHO, but again when it happen I questioned what would happen if Gaines got injured and it did happen and there was no plan.

This is what reporters should be asking the coaches just like playing Saffold at LT and not having Greg Robinson active or Pace Murphy and no one asked the coaching staff why they did not plan for a Saffold injury when he plays tackle, he always gets hurt. They through Andrew Donnal at LT who had not played the position since High School. So as I digress, I concur Troy Hill should have never been cut and I'm glad he will be playing over Jordan, if he is in fact starting over him.

Last edited: