Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Posted this in the McVay thread below but figured I'd put it here also. I've read two different articles today, one stating that Gruden has been mentoring McVay recently and giving him advice on how to be a head coach and the other one stated the Rams have been in constant contact with Gruden as an organizational adviser this offseason. So doesn't surprise me if he ends up being our guy now. If Gruden stays on as an adviser through this whole offseason to McVay I'd be a lot more comfortable with the hire.

Edit: Kind of meshed the Grudens together in the two posts I wrote. Obviously, it's Jay Gruden who is mentoring McVay and Jon Gruden who is advising the Rams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/a-30-y...ing-for-rams-head-coaching-job-005130521.html
One source said Gruden spoke with the Rams, but that the former NFL coach was acting in an advisory capacity, offering an “organizational assessment.”

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Being a HC takes a lot of your focus. It benefits us if we have an OC who can focus entirely on the offense and a HC who can focus entirely on the team.

I'm fine if Shanny or McVay wants to call plays. But if they believe in somebody else and want to bring him in, I'm fine with that too.

Why not? They have an offensive-minded HC to lean on. All the best playcallers had to start somewhere.

of course they had to start somewhere but all of the horrible play callers not only had to also start somewhere but how many work out and how many would be as good as the guy we hired because of his play calling?

not saying it couldn't happen but most of the time I don't see it and can the rams really afford to take the risk?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/rams-have-second-meeting-with-sean-mcvay/

Rams have second meeting with Sean McVay
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 11, 2017

mcvay.jpg
Getty Images

The Rams are apparently serious about Sean McVay.

According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, the Rams have conducted a second interview with the Washington offensive coordinator, indicating things are beginning to move a bit more quickly for them.

McVay earned plenty of praise for his work with quarterback Kirk Cousins, and considering any coach the Rams hire is going to be tasked with turning Jared Goff into the kind of passer you trade a basket full of picks for, that’s clearly a point of emphasis for them.

The 30-year-old McVay has also interviewed with the 49ers.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
If Kroenke shows up for the second interview , then we'll know it's getting serious

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd feel a lot better about McVay if Jon Gruden committed to an advisory role in the organization and Wade Phillips was brought on as DC.

Both those men can help the youngster excel.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...an-mcvays-top-choice-for-dc-is-wade-phillips/

Report: Sean McVay’s top choice for DC is Wade Phillips
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 11, 2017

487111712.jpg
Getty Images

If you’re going to hire the youngest head coach in NFL history, you better back him up with some experience.

That may be happening in Los Angeles.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Rams candidate Sean McVay wants to bring Wade Phillips in as his defensive coordinator if he gets the head coaching job.

The 30-year-old McVay is the offensive whiz kid of the moment, but the 69-year-old Phillips with the talent assembled with the Rams is intriguing. They’re built on a 4-3 platform, but Phillips is one of the top defensive minds in the game.

Phillips has been mentioned with some other jobs, including Washington.