Rams Coaches see solid progress on offensive line after two good drafts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One guy I can't wait to see in preseason is Darrell Williams. Rams might have really found a UDFA gem in this guy. He started for almost 2.5 years at LT at USF, which is not the most impressive resume around but the dude can ball. Gotta think he can be a depth option for this team.

And of course Battle. Knock on Battle was the off field mentality and that last article I read on him it sounded like he had a child and wanted to get his life right. I still think he might go down as a very shrewd pickup for the Rams.

Gonna be really fun to see camp this year. Can't wait man. Not sure they allow you to video but if they do I'll be recording those dudes.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
One guy I can't wait to see in preseason is Darrell Williams. Rams might have really found a UDFA gem in this guy. He started for almost 2.5 years at LT at USF, which is not the most impressive resume around but the dude can ball. Gotta think he can be a depth option for this team.

I think Williams was an excellent find as an undrafted FA. As Boni and others noted earlier, if GROB does not continue to progress (hopefully he does) the Rams still have other options with Battle, Williams, and Saffold (a reason not to cut him) and I think Williams might end up being the best option of the three if it ever comes to that point.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I actually saw the same thing. It seems like we might have ourselves a good OL next year. Especially if we find competition for Barnes.

Now, the rest of the offense...

It's doable.... we only need a couple of big WRs, TEs that can catch and run oh and a QB ;)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If Robinson can make the leap that I think he'll make next year, we'll have one of the top offensive lines in the league. Add in Brown, Havenstein, Barnes, and Wichmann as starters, Donnal, Williams, Battle, Reynolds, and a center as depth, and the sky is the limit for this line.

jap

Legend
Havenstein: "They call me 'Jaws' because I eat opposing defenders for lunch!"

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
If Robinson can make the leap that I think he'll make next year, we'll have one of the top offensive lines in the league. Add in Brown, Havenstein, Barnes, and Wichmann as starters, Donnal, Williams, Battle, Reynolds, and a center as depth, and the sky is the limit for this line.

I wonder if we could convert one of our back up guards to center this would save a draft pick

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wonder if we could convert one of our back up guards to center this would save a draft pick
That's been my thought. The only guy that I think has the skill set to be able to, would be Jamon Brown. Which would mean that you think, Reynolds, and Williams would be starters, and Wichmann would be your rotational backup, in the scenario that we release Saffold...I wouldn't, at the Guard position. Or some semblance of that trio, or quad, if you keep Saffold.

I'd keep Saffold as a backup at OLT, or G, and Donnal as Havenstein's backup. I don't see another player on the roster as being able to play C, but there are some good options in the draft this year. If I didn't want to burn a draft pick, and I don't see my alternative as viable, then you have to re-sign Tim Barnes.

Possibly, Battle can get in the mix at rotational OT, in the scenario where Saffold isn't on the team. He'd have to improve, and grow mentally, for him to do that, IMO.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Our OL is going to be elite next year, sure they've gone through some growing pains, but that's all they were growing pains, it wasn't a lack of talent, just a lack of experience.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's been my thought. The only guy that I think has the skill set to be able to, would be Jamon Brown. Which would mean that you think, Reynolds, and Williams would be starters, and Wichmann would be your rotational backup, in the scenario that we release Saffold...I wouldn't, at the Guard position. Or some semblance of that trio, or quad, if you keep Saffold.

I'd keep Saffold as a backup at OLT, or G, and Donnal as Havenstein's backup. I don't see another player on the roster as being able to play C, but there are some good options in the draft this year. If I didn't want to burn a draft pick, and I don't see my alternative as viable, then you have to re-sign Tim Barnes.

Possibly, Battle can get in the mix at rotational OT, in the scenario where Saffold isn't on the team. He'd have to improve, and grow mentally, for him to do that, IMO.

I think Wichmann will be competing for one of the starting jobs next year. He needs to get stronger in order to be a better run blocker but he was a really steady pass protector as a rookie.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think Wichmann will be competing for one of the starting jobs next year. He needs to get stronger in order to be a better run blocker but he was a really steady pass protector as a rookie.
He got a lot of experience, and played well. I think we have 4 or 5 possibilities there, who could be solid starters. I agree with strength being his only glaring issue, but one offseason can do you wonders in that area. I actually had Wichmann as a starter and Williams as a rotational guy, but I guess my point was that we have a ton of depth/options at Guard, and very little at Center. I see Brown, Reynolds, Wichmann, Saffold, and the versatile Williams as very capable, to....in the near future, very solid starter types.

IMO, we hit absolute paydirt in the draft for our OL. The only questions for me are Battle, very raw/maturity issues, and Donnal, needs a lot of strength, but played pretty good in his limited time at RT, not so good at G. I didn't think much of Reynolds at RT, but he was a good G.

What do you think of J. Brown, possibly playing C? He's the only guy that might be able to switch there, IMO. This looks like a pretty decent Center draft, BTW. I don't think the Rams would necessarily entertain my thoughts on the matter, just saying.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting that they say two successful drafts. Wasn't the only OLine taken two years ago GRob? Seems they're higher on him than some.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He got a lot of experience, and played well. I think we have 4 or 5 possibilities there, who could be solid starters. I agree with strength being his only glaring issue, but one offseason can do you wonders in that area. I actually had Wichmann as a starter and Williams as a rotational guy, but I guess my point was that we have a ton of depth/options at Guard, and very little at Center. I see Brown, Reynolds, Wichmann, Saffold, and the versatile Williams as very capable, to....in the near future, very solid starter types.

IMO, we hit absolute paydirt in the draft for our OL. The only questions for me are Battle, very raw/maturity issues, and Donnal, needs a lot of strength, but played pretty good in his limited time at RT, not so good at G. I didn't think much of Reynolds at RT, but he was a good G.

What do you think of J. Brown, possibly playing C? He's the only guy that might be able to switch there, IMO. This looks like a pretty decent Center draft, BTW. I don't think the Rams would necessarily entertain my thoughts on the matter, just saying.

I'd draft a Center. I don't think Brown has ever played the position. It's pretty risky to toss him out there. Could lead to some bad snaps.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd draft a Center. I don't think Brown has ever played the position. It's pretty risky to toss him out there. Could lead to some bad snaps.
Do you know if Martin has played C, at Notre Dame. He looked pretty good this week in that position?

Dumb question, forget it. I hate Notre Dame, don't watch them much. He was listed as Guard at Senior Bowl.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you know if Martin has played C, at Notre Dame. He looked pretty good this week in that position?

Dumb question, forget it. I hate Notre Dame, don't watch them much. He was listed as Guard at Senior Bowl.

Yep. He did.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yep. He did.
Just watched him v Ohio St. Pretty damn good player. Looks like a mid to late 2nd rounder to me.

It's not a bad draft for centers though. I think better than last year.