Rams Coach Sean McVay and Fiancée Veronika Khomyn 'Proudly Stand with' Ukraine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What is sad re: Ukraine is that this situation was projected on the military side of things for damn near a decade. I recall an intel report way back in 2015 or so for a detachment I was a part of that summarized this quite nicely, from the energy source concerns on to westernization in-roads being a known concern to the Russian leadership in their backyard. Wasn't classified either btw, as this was known and driven by war college estimates for some time. In fact you can find good briefs to college students around that time frame on youtube that nicely summarize the how's and why's this was bound to happen.

There was always that likelihood that Russia would do this at some point where they felt safe in doing it, and the bottom line is the west is not willing to go to war over a satellite state in the Russian orbit.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
What is sad re: Ukraine is that this situation was projected on the military side of things for damn near a decade. I recall an intel report way back in 2015 or so for a detachment I was a part of that summarized this quite nicely, from the energy source concerns on to westernization in-roads being a known concern to the Russian leadership in their backyard. Wasn't classified either btw, as this was known and driven by war college estimates for some time. In fact you can find good briefs to college students around that time frame on youtube that nicely summarize the how's and why's this was bound to happen.

There was always that likelihood that Russia would do this at some point where they felt safe in doing it, and the bottom line is the west is not willing to go to war over a satellite state in the Russian orbit.
It's going to be a wild ride over the next 2 years, that's for sure!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I don't for a moment condone what Russia has done and moreso, think the WORLD has to rid itself of Putin.

But the Ukrainian government has known since its retaking of the country that Russia and Putin in particular, wanted it back under their control.

Instead of building a REAL military with their 44 million people and huge arms industry, they relied on the idea that NATO and the West would protect them.

Granted, us telling them that if they gave up their nukes, we would "back" them. But those nukes being gone was a good idea then as it is even moreso now.

Let's just hope Russia doesn't use theirs, or we, or they do something that triggers a real global war. It will be anything but pretty.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I just feel for the people of Ukraine, of Yemen, of anyone who has ever been displaced from their homes. We're all living creatures on this ball of rock and water, right?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just feel for the people of Ukraine, of Yemen, of anyone who has ever been displaced from their homes. We're all living creatures on this ball of rock and water, right?
Agreed. But you can't ignore that bad people will do bad things and hope that others will bail you out of a situation that you ignored.

No civilized person wants to see this.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Agreed. But you can't ignore that bad people will do bad things and hope that others will bail you out of a situation that you ignored.

Right. I write dark stuff, so I understand how bad people can get. It's just...unfortunate that human nature lends itself to insatiable greed, stubborn pride, and wrathful wars.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Let's just hope Russia doesn't use theirs, or we, or they do something that triggers a real global war. It will be anything but pretty.
I think war is inevitable at some point in the reordering that is ahead among nations. Question is to what extent will there be rules and what will be left for the victors.

Psycho_X

Legend
Can't imagine what the anxiety and guilt (self inflicted/not deserved) must be like for someone like Veronika to be here living in the lap of luxury and have to watch the news of your country being war torn while your family you love is there. Scary situation.

Two things I think about this war...
- I hope Zelensky survives, I won't speak to how they got to this point but one for sure thing is that guy stepped up and is showing balls of steel for his country in the face of what most assumed was certain defeat and that's admirable. I don't think the people of Ukraine would be fighting as hard without his leadership.
- I hope Putin doesn't get to a point in the twilight of his life where he decides he has nothing left to lose whether in the current situation or something broader and much worse.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Can't imagine what the anxiety and guilt (self inflicted/not deserved) must be like for someone like Veronika to be here living in the lap of luxury and have to watch the news of your country being war torn while your family you love is there. Scary situation.

Two things I think about this war...
- I hope Zelensky survives, I won't speak to how they got to this point but one for sure thing is that guy stepped up and is showing balls of steel for his country in the face of what most assumed was certain defeat and that's admirable. I don't think the people of Ukraine would be fighting as hard without his leadership.
- I hope Putin doesn't get to a point in the twilight of his life where he decides he has nothing left to lose whether in the current situation or something broader and much worse.
No need to analyze the military or political situation on this board. This is however a tragedy for every Ukrainian, and no doubt is greatly impacting Veronika and therefore our coach too.

Let's just hope that Veronika's family and friends are ok and be aware of how this unprovoked war is affecting millions of real human beings.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I sure hope we don't get drug into this shit. My cousin who is Special Forces or something of that line has been learning Russian for the last 3-4 years. He'd be first over

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

True. Just wished that the bad people weren't in charge of armies (and so much more). Cause we (the folks who just want to live our lives) sure didn't want this to happen. But someone did. It's why it was "inevitable ".

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can’t imagine what those people are going through. Losing there homes. Death, fleeing, so many people live comfortably in this world. We don’t know what real struggles are.

oldnotdead

Legend
As someone coming from a military family, I can say that NATO prepped the Ukrainian Army for over a year. As a consequence, the Ukrainian Army completely overhauled its military command structure. They went from the Soviet-style to the NATO-style of command structure. They gave more discretion to field command down to the non-com level. My nephew who was stationed out of Ft Huachuca training Delta Force was over there for 18 months. It's the reason they are kicking ass, and targeting leadership, i.e. command structure, such as generals, and unit Commodes. It's why their first shots are often to take out leadership and then the rest of the unit retreats because they don't know what else to do.

The Ukrainians are fighting just as a NATO army would fight. It's proving that NATO would destroy the Russian military in any fight. It's also validating what the USMC has done by eliminating their tank corps. They know that light infantry with a heavy emphasis on AT weapons can stop the Chinese Army because they fight like the Russians. The US has been over in Taiwan for over a year doing exactly what they did in Ukraine. IMO the Chinese won't stand much chance either. Their logistics have to cross the straits. You know what is going on in Ukraine has got to give them pause. As was proved in WWII amphib attacks are the most complex form of attack there is.

The mistake made in Ukraine by the US and also in Taiwan is they should have had boots on the ground to act as a tripwire, just like there is in Korea. Putin would probably have not invaded because it meant direct contact with the US which could have been reinforced quickly. The US would have had air superiority almost immediately. If the US wants to really deter China they need to have a large "training and advisory force" on the ground in Taiwan. The stupid ambivalence of "maybe" we will fight is no deterrent at all.

Tripwire boots on the ground has worked in Korea and in Europe and will work in Taiwan.

Status
Not open for further replies.