Rams claimed NT Mike Purcell off waivers from the 49ers.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Here's Bryce's last photo as a Ram before getting waived.

64B142DC-E0A6-46B0-AD16-91DD65CE8E3D_zpsga78wwve.jpg
Courtesy of CGI

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Purcell signed his exclusive rights tender, but was cut this week. His familiarity in 3-4 schemes make him a potential fit in a backup role. None of Purcell's $615,000 salary is guaranteed. May 3 - 5:14 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8997/mike-purcell

PFF Ranked Purcell #93 0f 127 graded DT's last season.
Did we not just sign East this offseason? Quick change of heart I guess.

Some guys get cut early so they have a better opportunity catching on with another team, this may be one of those examples. Hekker probably told McVay some shanks are in store if he doesn't re-sign his buddy McQuaide.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Did we not just sign East this offseason? Quick change of heart I guess.

Usually they like two long snappers for training camp so either they are going to work others at the position or they will just add someone else.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Usually they like two long snappers for training camp so either they are going to work others at the position or they will just add someone else.

It is pretty much mandatory to have two long snappers because the punters and the kickers are working out at the same time.

Plus if your regular Long Snapper gets injured you want somebody who is already familiar to the team.

Mainly the first reason I gave though.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Is Purcell really an upgrade over a Cam Thomas?

I actually expected them to re-sign Thomas who has prototype nose tackle size and looked ok to me when rotated in.

Thomas was just a 335 pounds space eater really.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Thomas came into camp out of shape and missed tackles in preseason and the start of the season. No reason to re sign him.

Like Von Miller, Purcell has a chip on his shoulder.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I actually expected them to re-sign Thomas who has prototype nose tackle size and looked ok to me when rotated in.

The way i'm seeing it, every DT & DE now on the roster outside of Longacre & Fox is a prototypical Wade Phillips type penetrating Oline disrupter, including 4-3 DE Westbrooks, who I don't particularly care for going forward in Wades 3-4. All these guys can get after the QB and RB, giving chase at or behind the los. Even big Brockers creates chaos at and behind the Oline while intimidating QB's hoping for a clean pocket. Donald is the best in the league at it, and guys like Trinca-Pasat & Tanzil Smart have some of the physical & style characteristics of Donald, although obviously not quite in the same class, kinda like Aaron Donald lite in terms of projection. These guys are fire hydrants on wheels, high motors, small in stature, great at getting under pads, strong as an ox, very quick first step, excellent tacklers, and peeling off well from blockers to attack their target. Easley at 6'2" is an inch taller than Donald, Trinca-Pasat & Smart, maybe 5 or 10 lbs. lighter, and very, very good as a pass rusher and run defender, his abilities were pretty well known prior to arrival. These 4 are a bit of a departure from the traditional look of a 3-4 DE, ... and they'll roll you if you're a non-believer. Hell, they'll roll you if you are a believer. Tyrunn Walker also appears to fit the mold of a Phillips NT/DE, although perhaps a more traditional physique, at 6'3" and 310 lbs., he also specializes as a penetrating DT, and can rotate with Brockers or the DE's on passing downs when called upon. The only thing missing, if you could really assume something is missing at all, might be a rotational run defender if Brockers were to go down. We haven't seen enough of Smart to say how he'd perform, Walker's history would suggest he sucks as a rush defender, Trinca-Pasat performed quite well in his short stint during the 2015 pre-season camp, although few seem to have much information about his post injury IR status of 2016. Everyone of our guys can handle an under tackle role in a 4-3, but other than Brockers, a stand alone NT who can elevate the middle of the DLine against the rush, no one stands out just yet. The Rams aren't looking for a huge space-eater like Cam Thomas imo, that doesn't seem to fit Phillips' style, but someone who can at least consistently stop or disrupt the run at the los should be welcome, even if only as a practice squad player, as he's not likely otherwise necessary unless the worst happens. Pass rushers we have, so someone who might rotate in on rushing downs should be sufficient, ... and who knows, he may already be on the team. jmo.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It is pretty much mandatory to have two long snappers because the punters and the kickers are working out at the same time.

They could bring East back, but again maybe they want to look at someone else.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Purcell signed his exclusive rights tender, but was cut this week. His familiarity in 3-4 schemes make him a potential fit in a backup role. None of Purcell's $615,000 salary is guaranteed. May 3 - 5:14 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8997/mike-purcell
I wonder if this will get us a peak at the NEW 49er Playbook!?! If he got his hands on one yet!

With these cut and our adds, I think this puts us right at "90' on the Roster!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

We will see, he hasn't stepped on the Field yet!;)

Zero

Pro Bowler
Some very interesting numbers from PFF
Appears to to be a Very solid pick up.
Hell of a lot better player than I imagined.

• The Los Angeles Rams claimed DT Mike Purcell off waivers from the 49ers.
  • Though he graded out at 44.1 for the 2016 season, Purcell saw more production in the running game than all but one of the Rams’ interior defenders in 2016, which was Aaron Donald.
  • With 78 fewer run-play snaps, Purcell had two more tackles than Geno Atkins of the Bengals and the same amount of stops with 16.
  • Purcell had two QB pressures in 2016 on 94 pass-rushing snaps, which came lined up at NT and provided him with a pass-rush productivity of 1.9, limiting his upside to the run game.