Rams claim to have seen good things on defense Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams claim to have seen good things on defense Monday, but it’s time for that unit to fulfill its reputation

[www.dailynews.com]

By THOUSAND OAKS >> The Rams will have a great defense someday.

That, of course, can be a promise without end.

Greg Norman was going to win the Masters someday. Healthy bacon was going to come along someday. Heck, pro football was coming back someday. The Rams fixed that, but they have brought it back to a notably impatient place.

The defense was one thing we knew about this unfamiliar team with the familiar name that returned to our lives Jan. 12. If nothing else, the Rams could stop you. They had four first-round picks on defense and, in some eyes, the best player in the NFL in Aaron Donald.

During those years, they also had to carry around the Rams’ offense like a box of anchors.

Then came Monday night: San Francisco 28, L.A. 0.

“We played very strong in that ballgame,” said defensive coordinator Gregg Williams Friday, indicating that the strain of keeping that promise might be getting to him.

But he elaborated.

“We have to do a better job in the red zone,” he said. “That’s something we’ve always done well in the past. We extended some of their drives with penalties. And we got our hands on three balls that legitimately hit us in the hands and should have been interceptions, and two of them would have gone for touchdowns. Our guys know that and they’ll come back. And I was very pleased with the way they responded at halftime.”

The Rams were second in the league last year in preventing red zone touchdowns, at 41.3 percent, and fourth in 2014.

“The worst part was giving 28 points, and it doesn’t matter how the offense did if you are going to give up points,” linebacker Alec Ogletree said. “We had some missed reads in the red zone, some missed tackles. Things happened really fast.”

San Francisco scored four touchdowns in four red zone trips and the Rams lost a net 92 yards in penalties. The 49ers had three touchdown drives that took 10, 10 and 11 plays. Etc.

“We had a couple of short fields,” Williams said. “We’re usually good on sudden change, making people kick field goals. One of those drives we had a second-and-15 and we had pass interference, and another time we had second-and-13 and the guy (Blaine Gabbert) threw it right in there. ... What I liked was that before I could say anything, the guys were coming up to me and they were bringing it up. That’s when you know things are going well, when they take ownership.

“They extended some plays with their quarterbacks, and that’s when you don’t want to be reading my lips on the sideline. But otherwise we held their running game down pretty well.”

Still, the Rams are holding onto someday a little too long.

In 2015 the Rams ranked 12th in the 32-team NFL in yards allowed per play. They were sixth on third-down defense, seventh in passing TDs allowed, 13th in touchdowns allowed. The year before they were 24th in yards-per-play defense, and 18th the year before that.

That is good but not dominant, and their ambition is dominance. A glimpse came in Week 16 last year, when William Hayes sacked Russell Wilson three times (for 24 1/2 yards) and the Rams won in Seattle, 23-17. Three of Seattle’s 10 losses in 2014-15 have come to the Rams, and one of them came with Nick Foles posting a quarterback rating of 115.8.

Now Wilson drags a bad ankle into the Coliseum Sunday.

“We’re preparing as if he’s going to be 100 percent,” Williams said. “We know how tough he is. He’s one of the few players who could come over and play defense. He does things on instinct, does things you can’t coach. He’s the best quarterback there is when it comes to extending plays.”

The Rams allowed Wilson to run 15 times for 51 yards in those two games, with one gain of 20. They can live with that, provided they can find a way to squeeze Todd Gurley through Seattle’s front seven. “We might have to throw it deep to do that,” coach Jeff Fisher said, which invites its own problems.

“We’ve been preaching the same thing for three years,” Ogletree said. “as far as becoming the best defense. We’re looking forward to this year and spreading our reputation around the league. We’re not looking to wait until next year to do that, because things change. What better time than now?”

Sure beats someday.

FRO

Legend
They didn't play that bad. When the offense sucks like that, it puts the defense on the field for way too long. The only problem is the 49ers offense sucks. Blaine Gabbert is horrible as are his receivers. You won't play them all week.

The three big concerns for the Rams defense is size, depth up front, and the secondary. It will be interesting to see if the Rams can handle the run game, or if their lack of size will get them creamed. They also have no LB depth. If anything happens to Barron or Ogletree they are screwed. Secondary is a question because Jenkins and McLeod are gone. We'll see if others step up as the season progresses.

FRO

Legend
"We might have to throw it deep" Fisher says. Well he's learning I guess.
I think it's more than taking one or two deep shots a game. It's about having an actual intermediate passing game. This 3 yard and pray for YAC offense is stupid. You spent all those high picks on that line, you've told us how great of a line coach you have, make them earn their keep. Do some 5 and 7 step drops and get the ball 7-15 yards down the field consistently. That will open up everything else you're trying to do. It's not that complicated.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The first half was rough, obviously but I thought they tightened up. Sensabaugh got picked on, and likely will be again this week. I don't understand why Joyner got so much flak. I thought he played well, a couple of penalties, but one was pretty ticky-tacky.
Ogletree played like his goddamn hair was on fire, McDonald was in the backfield quite a bit. I didn't see much from Quinn, but he might still be getting his legs under him after a pretty light preseason work load.

I have high hopes still. They start slow, it's frustrating, but that's what it is. I fully expect GW to have them ready to shred the Seahawks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gregg Williams put his corners under serious pressure against the 9ers & they failed. I would think that GW will go with more than 3 corners Johnson, Joyner & Sensabaugh who were the only corners on the field of play last Monday. Troy Hill & Steve Williams will have to see some action. Why did GW start 3 corners & not utilize a reserve with the Chip Kelly offense?

Another thing we may see more than one LB'er (Ogletree) on the field too. Meaning either Bryce Hager or one of the rookie LB'ers will get a chance to play the Akeem Ayers post some if Seahawks goes run heavy with a sore ankle QB. I would bet after watching the tape of the Rams front DL on the 9ers ....the Seahawks run left side off tackle all day. Placing a target on Rob Quinn as the weak link. That way they don't take a chance on getting Wilson Time hurt for the rest of the early season.

Gregg might have found out Monday night that he may not have the right material skills currently available to run the 4-1-6 defense he wanted too. GW may have to shift back to the basic 4-3-4 until some key elements get healthy or begin to play like they have in the past in order to hold the fort.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“We have to do a better job in the red zone,” he said. “That’s something we’ve always done well in the past. We extended some of their drives with penalties. And we got our hands on three balls that legitimately hit us in the hands and should have been interceptions, and two of them would have gone for touchdowns. Our guys know that and they’ll come back. And I was very pleased with the way they responded at halftime.”

The Rams were second in the league last year in preventing red zone touchdowns, at 41.3 percent, and fourth in 2014.
This^ was the BEST part of this read!(y)
San Francisco scored four touchdowns in four red zone trips and the Rams lost a net 92 yards in penalties. The 49ers had three touchdown drives that took 10, 10 and 11 plays.
This^ was the WORST part of this read!!(n)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
at least they didn't say they were seeing ghosts too....

Shoulda treated Gabbert like Russell Wilson...a threat to run on every passing down...scrambling problem solved...until they show me some domiance, like, even tho the offense sucks, hold the other teams offense down, they'll always be 13th ranked unit...nothing great, pretty average...I don't care how many 3 & outs Keenum has on Sunday...especially vs an offense like the 9ers...or the Hawks..

Stupid penalties...looked out of shape with all the early rotations....Cam Thomas & Ethan Westbrooks looked like they didn't belong on the field...So did Donald & Quinn...Not sure what Hayes was doing...Not sure what Easley was doing...

And Williams better have an answer at SLB (Littleton or Forrest)....and stop playing Joyner...sorry he's a walking 3rd down conversion...not a nickle-back...slot-corner...walking 3rd down conversion...by pass or penalty...shoulda cut this guy.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yes they did, no one was injured, Donald wasn't suspended and the Niners didn't score more.
Great News....YAY

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Problems on D include, but are not limited to the following:

Quinn looked like a shadow of his former self. Sure hope that that's temporary as he knocks the rust off. He probably would have benefited from more preseason snaps. A healthy Quinn makes this a top 10 D. He's that big a factor. I'm worried about Quinn. Let us pray...

A healthy Gaines would make a dramatic improvement on our D, too. But who knows when he will be healthy? Sensabaugh is a weak link. Perhaps our weakest link on D? Why not trot out Troy Williams? At least for a series, here and there? I know that I'm being foolish to suggest to GW my personnel preferences. But I think T Williams might have starting CB potential and Sensabaugh is only a jag, at best. How much worse could Williams be than Sensabaugh, really?

I've tried to let Joyner win me over, but I've gotta say that I just don't get the man crush that both Fisher and GW have for him. Hands of stone, as well. Seems like a middle of the road strictly slot CB. Not a player that justifies a trade up in the 2nd round for, iow.

Sure hope GW has solved that open middle of the field problem that Gabbert constantly ran into. Otherwise, Wilson will eat us alive there, ankle or no ankle.

Having said all the above, it would certainly be helpful if our O could sustain a few drives and put up some points this week, huh? A D's best friend is being handed a lead by the O.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Problems on D include, but are not limited to the following:

Quinn looked like a shadow of his former self. Sure hope that that's temporary as he knocks the rust off. He probably would have benefited from more preseason snaps. A healthy Quinn makes this a top 10 D. He's that big a factor. I'm worried about Quinn. Let us pray...

A healthy Gaines would make a dramatic improvement on our D, too. But who knows when he will be healthy? Sensabaugh is a weak link. Perhaps our weakest link on D? Why not trot out Troy Williams? At least for a series, here and there? I know that I'm being foolish to suggest to GW my personnel preferences. But I think T Williams might have starting CB potential and Sensabaugh is only a jag, at best. How much worse could Williams be than Sensabaugh, really?

I've tried to let Joyner win me over, but I've gotta say that I just don't get the man crush that both Fisher and GW have for him. Hands of stone, as well. Seems like a middle of the road strictly slot CB. Not a player that justifies a trade up in the 2nd round for, iow.

Sure hope GW has solved that open middle of the field problem that Gabbert constantly ran into. Otherwise, Wilson will eat us alive there, ankle or no ankle.

Having said all the above, it would certainly be helpful if our O could sustain a few drives and put up some points this week, huh? A D's best friend is being handed a lead by the O.

Gregg Williams has a dilemma fore sure ....yes the Rams offense being his #1 concern gut he has his own too right now. He going to have to go to some younger greener Rams here if he is going to do his part in hoping for a non loosing season. He has issues now on that RDE post. He did not dress Longacre last week big mistake he better get him ready to play some RDE so he can help that ultra weak edge if that means putting Sims or Quinn in PJ pants I could care less. I yet to see glimmer of hope in Quinn's play period but yes he has been limited until last Monday. If that's the best Quinn has get him off the field I don't care if he is our highest paid $$$ Ram....if he plays like he did Monday night he is hurting the overall play of this defense.

Joyner has failed this entire 2016 season in four games pre season & his start post last Monday...as soon as corner Troy Hill is ready get him on the field either @ the EJ Gaines outside post as I would prefer, or in the Nickle in place of Joyner. I think Coty Sensabaugh will play better in the Nickle than Joyner right now.

The other issue is finding a Lb'er who can fill Ayer shoes.....Hager...Forrest or Littleton but he better get some beef ready if the Seahawks decide to run heavy. Barron has a few good pass defends but overall was MIA last Monday Night. Not what you expect from your 2nd highest paid Ram.

WvuIN02

Starter
No defense is going to hold serve when you look at the possessions the offense had.