Rams claim G Tre Jackson/Fails physical and is waived

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If he is healthy,
I love this move

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I like the move because he appears to have talent, but I am not expecting him to be that full time starter. Jackson has versatility so he can be that depth guy to come off the bench and fill in where needed but expecting a guy with his injury history to be a 16 game starter is a different story for me. Easley's rehabilitation is more the exception than the rule. He worked out well because his injuries were not as serious, he needed a change of scenery, and expectations were not that high since he was only expected to be a rotational player backing up the Man-Beast Aaron Donald.

Overall, I like the move of picking up Jackson because they are picking up a low risk rookie contract with no guaranteed money and the team needs quality depth (assuming he will or has passed his physical) especially along the offensive line but I am not expecting him to be one of the starting guards for 2017.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well, it worked when we picked up Easley after the Patriots gave up on his health. Hopefully lightning strikes twice.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We just claimed him. Prior to him suiting up, he will have to go through a rigorous physical.

If he passes his physical, we'll know they we're closer to getting a Dominic Easley than [insert any of a number of guys who didn't pass their physical after clearing waivers]

Also, no, a team can't view medicals on guys on waivers. That would violate the tampering rules and every team would routinely ask for every medical record for every player to hit waivers as a matter of pro personnel due diligence.

And even though most players likely wouldn't object, the NFLPA would And it'd likely be a violation of HIPPA laws.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the strategy of "shock and awe" to a position group that has been so bad over the years. Love this move.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I doubt it. (That there's a way to get Jackson's medicals)
Jackson's agent may try to release some of those medical reports but I am not sure how accurate they would be as he's trying to get his players signed. IMO

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Well, it worked when we picked up Easley after the Patriots gave up on his health. Hopefully lightning strikes twice.
Well, since we just re-signed Easley at a starters cost, it will depend on Easley's abilities as a starter.

He looked great in rotation but Easley's real test will come when he's getting starter's reps, IMO.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I really like Jackson a lot coming out of FSU. I watching him a lot in NE, he struggled badly in pass protection but thought he played well in the run game.

I believe there is some talent with this kid and think he might fit our new scheme. Would not be shocked if he was starting at one of the G positions this year.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Well, since we just re-signed Easley at a starters cost, it will depend on Easley's abilities as a starter.

He looked great in rotation but Easley's real test will come when he's getting starter's reps, IMO.

Easley will be making $1.7 mil next season which for dtackles salaries would put him at 49th and for dends would put him at 64th. Not sure that's starters cost. It's actually a pretty good deal for the Rams even if he is just a rotation guy again next year.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the O Line camp battles ....

LT - I think this one is safely locked down.
LG - At first glance, this is Saffold's spot as long as he is healthy, but then again - is Saffold a left guard or is he better suited for the right side? It seems like some of his best games came at the RG spot but that is going back to the 2015 season.
C - You have to assume this is Sullivan's job to lose - but I would like to see some significant competition here. Is Rhaney ever going to take a step? Can Donnal, Wichmann, Arkin, or Brown make the switch?
RG - This one should be hot, especially if Jackson is physically ready to compete. Can Havenstein make a successful move inside? Will GRob end up kicking in instead?
RT - GRob gets first shot, Havenstein - you would think - would be first man up over there if he doesn't cut it. Is Darrell Williams in the mix for competition? How about Pace Murphy?

And these battles don't include potential rookies - and we should expect a few to be involved in the competition as well.

One of the big challenges here is finding the balance between choosing #1s fast and choosing them well. The faster you get your 1s together, the earlier they can begin to gel - but you have to give the positional battles time to play out. How long do you spend evaluating who should be running with the 1s?

Psycho_X

Legend
One of the big challenges here is finding the balance between choosing #1s fast and choosing them well. The faster you get your 1s together, the earlier they can begin to gel - but you have to give the positional battles time to play out. How long do you spend evaluating who should be running with the 1s?

Well, as long as McVay chooses his starters before week 2 of the regular season he'll be way ahead of Jeff Fisher the last couple of seasons. Was so sick of him constantly flipping starters all over the place and then changing his mind again after every game or practice from training camp all the way through beginning of the season.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My gut feeling is out of the recent guys drafted, Donnal, Havenstien, Wichmann, and Brown, One or two are NOT going to make the team. McVay and Kromer had no hand in drafting these guys and have no investment in them. They are going to keep the best 10 or 11 and if letting a recent draft pick go, Oh, well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Easley will be making $1.7 mil next season which for dtackles salaries would put him at 49th and for dends would put him at 64th. Not sure that's starters cost. It's actually a pretty good deal for the Rams even if he is just a rotation guy again next year.
It is a good deal.

However since there's going to be 64 starters on opening week, even your numbers barely put him at starters pay.

My main point was that he looked OK in rotation but he needs to look even better as a starter.

Not an easy task. He could easily be playing twice as many reps as he did as a rotational guy.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
out of the recent guys drafted, Donnal, Havenstien, Wichmann, and Brown, One or two are NOT going to make the team.
I think Wichmann is on the bubble. He is just too slow getting to the second level.

Havenstien and Brown have already proven they can play at a pro-level and Donnal looked stronger and improved last year. Plus all three of these guys can play multiple positions.

Wichmann is a Guard only.

He had better be the first one in Camp to raise his hand when they are looking for a cross trainer for a game-day active Center.

My depth chart has Wichmann as our 6th best Guard.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Easley had knee issues to when the pats cut him hopefully this works out just as well.

I like the move because it's low risk with upside.

That said, though, Easley was a different deal in that he was cut due to them not liking the way he rehabbed. The Patriots are real sticklers for that stuff and cut him to prove a point.

Jackson is a guy that is nice to have on a depth chart so for now going to enjoy the fact they brought in competition. And just hope he can actually compete here at some point. But until I hear something from the Rams that he is ready to get on the grass and do that I'm going to temper my expectations.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
out of the recent guys drafted, Donnal, Havenstien, Wichmann, and Brown, One or two are NOT going to make the team.
Havenstien is our third best tackle at the moment behind Whitworth and Saffold.

I don't see him going anywhere especially now that they're cross training him at Guard.
Even if Robinson looks really good at right tackle (doubtful IMO) Havenstein would (possibly) be starting at Guard minimum or our Gameday Active Guard /Tackle. JMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Our OL situation has come a long way since January, huh?

Kromer hired.
Whit signed.
Sullivan signed.
Jackson signed.
Hav is now healthy.

And we are expected to draft a C next week.

Another intangible is that GRob should be highly motivated to impress his coaches, teammates, and the fans. It's a now or never situation, son.

I fully expect a dramatically improved starting OL this year. And with decent quality depth, as well.

Amazing what a new staff with new priorities can accomplish in just a few months, huh? Predraft, mind you.