Rams chat with Jim Thomas: June 17, 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts from the Q&A, to read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_93?Page=0

Sorry for the delay. For some reason had trouble getting logged in. No current hacking suspects. :)
-----
Just curious, what kind of foods do they have at Rams Park for the players?

I don't know. It's been a long time since the media was invited to the lunch room at Rams Park.
-------
JT reports the Rams are talking extension with Foles. The should do the same mid- season with the cornerbacks. You keep the one who signs first given they are both playing well. Gaines playing well would help the negotiations. Your thoughts.

The Rams want to re-sign Jenkins. Not sure how they feel on Trumaine Johnson at this point.
--------
Does Chris Givens have any shot at making an impact at the WR position this year?

I would think so. But he needs to have a great training camp and preseason.
---------
JT, I didn't mean an insult when I asked about reportable news. I know you get information that you are unable to share at this time.

I think we're spending way too much time worrying about what's "reportable" vs. "off the record" stuff on the Rams.
-------
I currently reside in the NFL market of a team that, like the Rams, have not had a successful season in quite a while. I hear a lot on local radio/tv how good the players look in the OTAs, and how improved the QB looks, and how this will translate to a better regular season, etc.. As someone who writes about the Rams, how difficult is it to get a good reading on players just based on these kinds of workouts and the past history of the team?

Great question. These are the "happy days" of the yearly cycle of reporting on an NFL team. Players are in the best mood they will be all year. No one has blown an assignment, missed a block, missed a tackle, fumbled, been called for a penalty yet. That all starts to change once the preseason games begin _ and makes it easier to get a read on the team and the players.
--------
Can you shed some light on the Fairly weight discussions? You are either over your playing weight and out of shape or under playing weight and to light. It is too late to add ten pounds of muscle at this point. So if he is to gain, not likely to be good weight.

Fairley has six weeks before the start of training camp. I think that's enough time to add 10 pounds off "good weight."
-------
Any injury updates, quick,pead , Gurley, etc

Pead, who's recovering from knee surgery, didn't practice Tuesday. Quick looks like he's coming along fine. Gurley was given a day off Tuesday from the side rehab drills he's been doing. The next marker on Gurley will be whether he's on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list once training camp starts.
--------
When ESPN Insider ranked rosters last week, it was high on the Rams' D-line but described the back 7 as a "sea of mediocrity" (or some such wording) masked by the talent up front. Also had Ogletree as a player who should be upgraded.

What do you make of that assessment? Rams have a lot of trouble vs. the run at times, so maybe there's something to it re: the LBs, but I thought the DBs played pretty well last year.

Don't think the Rams are interested in upgrading Ogletree any time soon. Anyone who makes such an assessment doesn't really know the club. The secondary improved last season, but still gives up too many big plays. I'm really interested in seeing what the LB corps does with the addition of Ayers, and if the Rams' secondary can continue to show improvement in 2015.
--------
Why does it make great sense for Foles, hardly a proven commodity, to be given an extension?

Doesn't make much sense to me either.
-------
Jim is it true that fisher went to ohio dug up woodie hayes gave him a new name and installed him as rams OC.

Are you suggesting that the Rams are behind the times on offense?
--------
Who is responsible for scheduling the training camp scrimmage. Friday night at 5:00 pm in St Charles. Saturday or Sunday wasn't available.

Probably Fisher on the time. I think past Lindenwood scrimmages have always been on Fridays, and have always been well attended.
--------
I hear a lot of debate about if Rams have (or not) a true no. 1 receiver. If Quick is healthy game 1, who has more yards at the end of the year, him or Britt? Who's our de facto no. 1?

Early on last season, it looked like it was Quick. If he can pick up where he left off before the injury last season, I'd say Quick.
-------
On a scale of A-F, how would you grade the Rams drafting specific to the extra picks we received for the RGIII trade? I can only give them a C+. I think we blew it. This was almost as bad as the 2002 draft (I think 2002) when we had three first round picks and we missed on all three.

Good question. It's still a little early to tell. Need another year or two I think to really get a true feel. I wouldn't say the Rams blew it, but I'm thinking B- at this point. They've gotten some solid starters, but so far no stars out of the trade.
---------
What do you think of Fisher's philosopy of running game and defense? That kind of has not worked for us lately, right? Do you see the same type of offense this year as in the past few?

I'm expecting something pretty similar in terms of offensive philosophy. So we'll see. The running game/defense style certainly works for Seattle and worked for San Fran for a while under Harbaugh. But I wonder if the Rams have enough of a dynamic presence at QB. Can Foles turn seemingly doomed plays into first downs like Wilson or Kaepernick (at his best)?
--------
Not enough has been made of the slow Starts. If the Rams can get out of the gate in better shape, I think they have a chance to make the playoffs. This group will get better during the season as some of the younger players grasp the new schemes. I think the youngest team in the league thing can no longer be used as an excuse, but a positive.

I think we've all brought up the slow starts.
--------
All one has to do is follow this link to the Ram's draft history to see why they have been so awful. 2001-2010 stand out as just horrible drafting.

There's no doubt that the past draft history has helped dig this hole.
---------
As of today, adding no additional players, a prediction of Rams record.

8-8.
-------
Its early, but who do u think the starting C will be opening day? Thanks

I'm gonna say Barret Jones.
-------
If you had to guess, what kind of money per year are Foles/Rams looking for in the contract discussions? Even middle of the road Alex Smith is getting $15mil this year and it goes to $17mil next. What would the Rams be offering, $12mil, and what will Foles accept?

Hard to imagine $12 million per year being acceptable to Foles.
--------
Nick Foles contract chatter is for real or the Rams are just trying to be polite, support Foles, build his ego a bit, team unity yadda, yadda, yadda? Isn't the only way they could do a contract this early to have it be full of incentive clauses?

It's all very preliminary at this point.
--------
What do we know about Demetrius Rhaney at this point?

Do you think any of the C contenders could beat out J. Brown to start the season at G, depending on how the competition shakes out at center?

Athletic. Quick feet. Needs to get bigger and stronger. Working against him this year is the fact he'd be working with a QB (Foles) who's new to the Rams. As for your second question, that's a possibility.
--------
Why haven't the Rams (or anyone) made a move to sign Anthony Collins. Seems like at worst he would be a better swing tackle than Reynolds and could possibly force his way into the starting lineup. Since he has not signed yet, we should get him very cheap. What is wrong with him?

Interesting question. But I think right now they want the youngsters to get all the reps possible and get a read on them.
--------
Is the 2013 NFL draft one of the worst in recent memory, especially at the top? I wanted to get mad at the Tavon pick, but looking at the rest of the picks, they were all pretty terrible besides Sheldon Richardson at 13

It's not looking monumental at this point, that's for sure.
-------
if you could choose any head coach who is currently not coaching for whatever reason, be it media work, taking a break, just fired and looking but not deciding, etc., to be the rams next coach, who would you choose? forgetting about likelihood of acceptance or even whether the guy is currently interested in returning to coaching, just the number one guy for you for the rams going forward for best results? personally, i would say bill cowher. your choice?

Yeah, Cowher was the first name that came to mind. He has, however, been out of the game for a while.
-------
I'm thinking of coming down to St. Louis for a home game, which one would you attend if you could only attend one this season? I'm from Texas by the way.

I'm sure there will be good seats available for all games. I'd go with the season opener against Seattle. Those games have always been very interesting at the Edward Jones Dome, and we are talking about the defending NFC champs.
-------
Once Gurley is deemed fully healthy whether it be in week 4 or week 10, how do you think the RB snaps will be divided on a percentage basis?

First off, he could be ready to go for Week 1 of the regular season. I don't think they're giving him 30 touches a game right off the bat. I would think they'd have to build up his touches as the season progresses.
-------
In that case is Tre Mason only getting a few carries a game or would it be more of a 60/40 split when both are up to speed.

I'm gonna say more like 70-30.
---------
All time ugliest StL Ram uniform? I vote for the gold jerseys and gold pants, but there are many contenders.

I'll go with the blue on blues. As Mike Martz used to say, the Rams look like big grapes in them.
--------
How can we keep only 5 cb's & 5 db's with the upcoming contracts expiring? I like Tru but want to keep Roberson, McGee, and the kid outta Ohio State from last year, Bryant...seems like we shold hold onto 11, and cut Reynolds.or another RB

Reynolds is a pretty good special teams player. McGee has had trouble staying healthy. Bryant is a blank page due to injury.
--------
Can Gurley pass block yet?

Probably not. At least not to NFL standards. But the guy has yet to practice yet as the NFL level.
--------
Talented players rise to the top, no matter where they play. But the organization plays a huge part in how much that player succeeds. Hard to imagine Joe Namath would have gone to the HOF if he'd signed with the football Cardinals instead of the Jets. Can you identify a former player or two who YOU thought would have been a Hall-of-Famer if he'd only been in a different organization?

Maybe Archie Manning? And maybe you could even make a case for Steven Jackson.
--------
Have you just not heard any rumblings on the Rams intentions as far as signing Tru Johnson or are they less interested with the emergence of Gaines? I like Jenkins for his ball hawking but Tru doesnt gamble and make mistakes like Jenkins

I just think they like Jenkins better.
--------
I have been a Rams fan for 42 years.i wanted Sam Bradford to succeed but that didn't happen. To not take a pay cut signalled to me that he was a me guy not a we guy. Do you agree.

Disagree strongly. The nature of the pay cut offered by the Rams was so severe that he knew he could more on the open market.
--------
Jim will the Rams be looking over the wires for released lineman, and if so how much money do they have to sign them?

Yes. I think when all the rookie contracts are in the Rams will have about $6 million in cap space.
--------
Any rumblings on vet OL? Why wouldnt it make sense to try to get Long back? His choice or management?

At this point, why would Long take a huge _ and I mean huge pay cut _ to come back to a place where he might not even be promised a starting job. Conversely, if you're the Rams wouldn't you be at least a little hesitant to sign and depend on someone with his injury history.
--------
How realistic is it to have high expectations for the offensive line with all of the inexperience? I'm not saying I didn't like the draft picks, but I wonder how fast the learning curve will be for these guys, especially after watching Robinson's ;earning curve last year.

Personally, I have my doubts.
--------
In your opinion, who are the 5 best players on the current Ram's roster?

Coming up with 5 is tough because in so many cases were betting on potential with young players. But right now, I'd say Quinn, Donald, Laurinaitis, Long, Saffold. (Honorable mention: Hekker)
---------
I know the NFL feels there is a lot more money to be made in media and broadcasting of the games but has the way this LA situation played out with a sense of desperation in 3 current NFL cities point to a saturation point for how many cities/stadiums/teams can be in the league? Is 32 the limit in the U.S.?

There seems to be no appetite for expansion in the NFL at this point.
--------
Any clue on the LB's we will keep after JL55, Ogletree, Ayers, Bates? I see Jo Lon Dunbar getting cut?

Dunbar's not making a ton of money, so I think he could very well make the final cut. That's 5 LBs, and if Hager shows promise on special teams, he could be No. 6. (And that's about all you need in the NFL these days, at least on a 4-3 squad.)
-------
Did I hear it right, Rams looking at $60 million available for their salary cap next year? Can we get everyone we want signed?

Yes, the $60 million figure was in my Rams story today.
--------
Lets go off the normal road..Any special teamers that don't make it this year?

Sure there's always that possibility, because normally special teamers aren't near the top of the depth chart. So it could affect players such as LBs McFadden and Toomer, or safety Cody Davis. I do think RB Reynolds and LB Bates _ who were the top 2 special teamers a year ago _ should be safe.
-------
I know Bernie does the numbers game but any idea about the number of big plays made by Jenkins vs. the number of big plays given up? Any chance Gaines will start over him? I dont't understend Fisher's infatuation with him.

I think it's very safe to assume Jenkins has given up more big plays than "pick 6s" although I don't have exact numbers for you. But if Gaines is starting ahead of anyone this season, it figures to be Trumaine Johnson not Jenkins.
--------
Did you think that the Hekker contract was outrageous? Will the Rams give an equally big contract to Greg the Leg, or will they possibly look for someone else after the season (or just franchise him)?

No, I think the Hekker contract was pretty much in line for an upper-tier punter. Not sure what Zuerlein will bring, but I think he's been consistent enough to re-sign.
----------
Does Greg Zeurlein still have good job security with the Rams? Was his make percentage within an acceptable range for the team?

I would say yes on both counts.
--------
If you could put 1 non-QB from the Rams' past on the roster now, who would you want?

Isaac Bruce, circa late '90s. (But I'd certainly "settle" for Torry Holt.)
-------
Any chance that Warner's jersey will be retired before the end of the 2015 season? It should take place in St. Louis and not on the west coast.

Have heard of no plans to retire Warner's jersey number.
--------
Ok, worst owner, Bidwill or Kroenke?

Must we? Let's call it a tie right now.

Alan

Legend
Jim is it true that fisher went to ohio dug up woodie hayes gave him a new name and installed him as rams OC.

Are you suggesting that the Rams are behind the times on offense?
:LOL:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I don't know. It's been a long time since the media was invited to the lunch room at Rams Park.
Well, that's as far as I got before shutting off. How far did you get?

Should we give Jim the world's smallest violin, so he can play it in the background everytime he answers questions about the Rams?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Should we give Jim the world's smallest violin, so he can play it in the background everytime he answers questions about the Rams?

yes.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I made it a little longer than you, Stranger, I Stopped after JT gave his prediction for the Rams coming Seaason, 8-8!(n):LOL:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'd kick that bum out of the office if I was running the Rams, and I'd tell NFL HQ to go stuff their media rules. I'd pay a fine before I'd put up with this kinda crapola.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I made it a little longer than you, Stranger, I Stopped after JT gave his prediction for the Rams coming Seaason, 8-8!(n):LOL:

Then you missed the very last one.
---------

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
---------

i am really tempted to email kevin, as I'd like him to know that we're taking notice of this bad behavior and we won't hold it against the Rams FO if they dont let this guy in the building any longer.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i am really tempted to email kevin, as I'd like him to know that we're taking notice of this bad behavior and we won't hold it against the Rams FO if they dont let this guy in the building any longer.

I'm sure they already are well aware of it which is why he hasn't been invited to the lunch room at Rams Park for a long time. :sneaky:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
---------

Okay. I can understand how the locals feel about Stan, but he has never stinted on money for the coaching staff, for anything Fisher wants, and that includes Jeff Garcia. Stan wants the Rams to win.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
---------

Was Bidwill really that bad? I wasn't around during the St Louis Football Cardinals, but honestly if Stan gets his way you could make a case for Stan being the worst thing to happen to any city in the history of the NFL, and even if he doesn't the intent was there.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
hehe, he always sounds like a jilted ex lover these days, it makes quite funny reading :)

A lot of the people writing the questions seem like miserable f***ers as well. It's a match made in heaven.

rams2050

Starter
Bidwell was terrible. Stingy, stingy, stingy. His head scout, George Boone, was a freaking idiot. Their drafts have gone down in history as probably the worst EVER! And those drafts include those of a lot of other really terrible teams. The St. Louis football Cardinals' drafts were epic FAILS on every level. And when they got a good team, they rarely did anything to keep elements of them in place.

The only bright spot in their miserable existence here was the years of the 'Cardiac Cardinals,' the 'Don Coryell years.' I admit; I loved the team then, even though they still were rather inept in the playoffs.

But I have always been a Rams' fan first and foremost so when the Rams came here I was goofy with delight. And, yes, I was one of the ones who thought Bidwell shouldn't let the door hit him in the A$$ on the way out.

I still have some hope for StanK, though. He has never been cheap, I'll give him that, at least. Although NO fan base should have to go through what the St. Louis fans are going through right now. (And old LA fans went through in the mid-1990s). However, the LA move worked out great for me, selfish as it is for me to type those words, and so I loved Georgia and her minions until they managed to slowly destroy the team and its nascent winning tradition. I also hate that there was nothing she could do to guarantee that Chip and Lucia Rosenbloom had the money to pay the tax man so that the kids wouldn't have had to sell the team to pay the bill. Chip and Lucia never would have moved the team from St. Louis.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I don't remember the last time Jim offered up any useful information. I remember a time when he used to but I don't remember it being recently. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of us could speculate as well as he has in his recent chats.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does this guy like or even root for the Rams ?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Didn't have much this go round. I did read all the way thru it. I guess since I didn't start off looking to be offended, I wasn't.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty much year-round. I'm about to take a 5-week hiatus from late June to end of July.
by jthomas 6/17/2015 7:20:06 PM June 17 at 2:20 PM

Finally, some peace... :sleep: