Rams chat with Jim Thomas: April 1, 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Read entire chat here...

Highlights:

On the odds of trading down: At this point, and we're still five weeks away, I'd say 35-65. But it's still early.

On signing Kenny Britt: I don't think we should make too big of a link between the signing of Britt and the Rams not taking Watkins. If Britt was signed to a five-year, $30 million contract, yeah. But it's a modest 1-year deal. Judging from what Fisher told me at the owners meetings, it doesn't sound like the Rams are going to take a WR high in the draft. But that doesn't have much to do with Britt.

On gaming the draft: If any of the three offensive linemen are there at No. 13, it would probably be Taylor Lewan of Michigan. Right now, it's possible but not probable that Evans will be there. I think this current Rams regime is pretty good at "gaming" the draft. The best example would be getting Ogletree late in the first round last year.

On Greg Reid's arrest: Yeah, I've read the reports out of Valdosta and Tallahasee. It's not like we're talking about Ronnie Lott here. You're talking about taking a flyer on a guy with no bonus and no guaranteed money. Unless there's a pretty good reason for what transpired over the weekend in Valdosta, I don't know why you would keep going with this guy.

On trading picks with the Falcons: The Falcons sure could use a pass rusher. You have the Dimitroff-Demoff connection. And not unlike the Rams, the Falcons aren't afraid to make moves. It comes down to how much do they covet Clowney if as suspected, he's available at No. 2. As for what might come via trade, I'd say a second-rounder plus another pick. Maybe a fourth or fifth.

On drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round: Don't know if they pull the trigger in the second round. But from the third round on down, I'd say possible. I would think the LSU qb is under consideration.

Remaining free agents that the Rams are interested in: The only ones I'm aware of at this time are the two guards, Davin Joseph and Daryn Colledge.

OTA's: The players under contract report to Rams Park on April 21 for the start of offseason conditioning. (Teams with new head coaches are allowed to come in a couple of weeks earlier _ on April 7.) There is a gradual buildup to OTAs in terms of conditioning drills, weight training, etc., individual work, leading up to OTAs. OTA, stands for "organized team activities" and basically means practice. These spring practices usually begin in mid_ to late May _ but I haven't seen the schedule yet.

RamBill

Legend
JT’s Chat Highlights

—Odds of trading down? At this point, and we’re still five weeks away, I’d say 35-65. But it’s still early.

—Haven’t seen Bradford lately. But he is by all accounts doing well, and expected to take part in at least some of the OTAs.

–Hard to predict what the Rams will get out of Britt, which explains in part why the Rams have incentives in the contract that could basically double it’s value. Again I don’t think Britt precludes them from drafting Watkins or Evans.

—There have been times when Bradford has looked a little shell-shocked _ like the back to back games last season against Dallas and San Fran. But I don’t think Bradford has what colleague Bernie Miklasz would call BQS _ Battered Quarterback Syndrome.

—Watkins and Lewan sounds pretty good. Could be Matthews and Evans. Robinson and Clinton-Dix or one of the top corners (Gilbert, Dennard). There are a lot of options that would make sense.

—I think cornerback might be a better value at No. 13 than safety. But I’m not sure who would be the slot defender in that scenario. Maybe it would be the draft pick.

—I’d be surprised if the Rams don’t come out of the draft with a couple of O-linemen.

—Sign a RB? I believe they like who they have. Particularly Stacy.

—Odds they take a WR? I don’t know about 30-70, but I do think it’s less than 50-50.

—Starting O-line right now? LT: J. Long., LG: TBD, C: Scott Wells, RG: Saffold, RT: Barksdale. There’s a chance Saffold could end up at LG depending on who becomes the other starting guard. As for players on the roster now, Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington, and Tim Barnes all could compete for a starting job at the other guard spot. And there’s a chance Harvey Dahl could be back as well.

—If they pick a lineman early, and by that I mean the top six picks, it’s either Robinson or Jake Matthews.

—I don’t think we should make too big of a link between the signing of Britt and the Rams not taking Watkins. If Britt was signed to a five-year, $30 million contract, yeah. But it’s a modest 1-year deal. Judging from what Fisher told me at the owners meetings, it doesn’t sound like the Rams are going to take a WR high in the draft. But that doesn’t have much to do with Britt.

—If any of the three offensive linemen are there at No. 13, it would probably be Taylor Lewan of Michigan. Right now, it’s possible but not probable that Evans will be there. I think this current Rams regime is pretty good at “gaming” the draft. The best example would be getting Ogletree late in the first round last year.

—I think he has plenty of potential, but I wouldn’t say Bailey’s a No. 1 wide receiver.

—Again, do I think the chances are great that the Rams take a WR at No. 2 or No. 13? No. Do I think that’s the case because of the Britt signing? No.

—Bailey was starting at the end of the 2013 season. Prior to the signing of Britt, I thought he was a shoo-in to start. But yes, Bailey has very good hands.

—Round for a QB? Don’t know if they pull the trigger in the second round. But from the third round on down, I’d say possible. I would think the LSU qb is under consideration.

Read Remaining Chat Highlights

RamzFanz

Damnit
Here are my chat highlights:

--AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY EYES :eek: Why did I look down!

--AND Donkey Punching!

--That's not your helmet. I told you. Put that away.

--If they make an experience like a beer line and pisser line pass, I'm in.

--Trump is a blowhard name dropping self aggrandizer. I pray he stays out of football or there will be a "reality" show to see who starts for the Bills.

"Today, if you want a starting spot on the Buffalo Trumps in Trump stadium, we are going to see who can sell the most hot dogs in Times Square"

--Yeah, I trolled them [Edit: Seahawks site] with you last season until I was banned. I have a new account for this season. :sneaky:

--So, they'll hold her for me? :sneaky:

Stay tuned for more, I'm only half through the Jim Beam.

Last edited:
Read entire chat here...

Highlights:

On the odds of trading down: At this point, and we're still five weeks away, I'd say 35-65. But it's still early.

I like Jim, he's the only writer over there I pay any attention to, but sometimes I get the felling he plucks numbers out of his ass.

jjab360

Legend

--AND Donkey Punching!

--Trump is a blowhard name dropping self aggrandizer. I pray he stays out of football or there will be a "reality" show to see who starts for the Bills.

"Today, if you want a starting spot on the Buffalo Trumps in Trump stadium, we are going to see who can sell the most hot dogs in Times Square"

--Yeah, I trolled them [Edit: Seahawks site] with you last season until I was banned. I have a new account for this season. :sneaky:

Wtf just happened...o_O

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

--AND Donkey Punching!

This should be a weekly feature here at ROD: The Jim Beam Chat highlights.

23ks1hz.jpg

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I know I'm beating a dead horse here:fishing: but that o-line just has to have a couple top notch draft picks added tobe able to deal wth the other defensive fronts in te West.