Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 9/29/15 - Jeff Fisher gets hammered

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts only. To read the entire Q&A click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Thread.aspx?Id=1520108

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 9/29/15
---------------------------------------------
Obviously, our linemen and TEs ($12 million) aren't getting it done run blocking. Which ones are blowing it?

They're all playing great. You heard Fisher. :)
---------
Any idea why we're shopping around for a WR? Nick Toon?

Toon is expected to be added to the practice squad today. No. big deal.
-------
I am quite confused with the 2015 Rams. I know I should be used to this by now but I'm not. Who are the Rams this year?

Actually the season has started out like many of us anticipated. Good defense. Struggling offense. But I don't think anyone thought the offense would struggle this much. And the Rams have squandered opportunities for victories against Washington and Pittsburgh. Barring a big upset at Arizona or Green Bay, they're staring at 1-4. And we've seen that movie before, haven't we?
-------
Any idea what the health setback(s) Brian Quick had (per Fisher) were?

I guess Fisher shared that on his radio show. In his press conferences w/the media he has only said that Quick is healthy.
-------
Thoughts on J Laurinaitis? Sure, he makes a lot of tackles, but alway 5-10 yards downfield. Always out of position in coverage and not much of a run stopper. I realize we are stuck with him this year but either he needs to play better or go.

I would put James Laurinaitis in the above average to very good category at linebacker. He is productive, he is a team leader (voted 4 times captain), he gets the defense lined up correctly, and frequently gets them out of bad plays. He is the Rams' best middle linebacker since London Fletcher. He handles himself with class on and off the field. St. Louis sports fans should be proud of him and how he represents the city week in and week out, year in and year out.

Just don't understand the Laurinaitis bashing.
-------
It seems like the "cushion of death" is here to stay. Between the 20s, we give the cushion and the opposing QB makes the easy completions. Inside the redzone, they get closer and magically the completions decrease. Can you ask why they continue to give away completions?

In the case of Pittsburgh it was to minimize the Steelers big-play potential. The last thing the Rams wanted Pittsburgh wide receivers to do Sunday was get behind them. And it worked. The Steelers had four pass plays over 40 yards against San Francisco the week before. They had no pass play over 20 yards against the Rams. But I do agree with you that the cushions sometimes seem too big, and are aggravating ta times.
-------
any concerns with so many dropped balls? It seems like the defense also has let a few slip their fingers. Are they running the wrong drills in practice? Do they need some 1980's stick 'em?

Stick 'em might help. The drops have been troubling the past couple of weeks.
--------
Chances of 1-4? Are we singing the same song by the end of the year? Waiting for the draft and hoping for a better year in 2016. ..yet again.

It does look depressingly familiar at this point.
--------
In your opinion, is the problem on offense more scheme, personnel or is it 50-50?

Most of all, I think the problem on offense is mainly inexperience at this point.
-------
Think Gurley will get more than 25 touches in a game before week 16?

Barring any kind of medical setback, I'd say yes.
--------
Is Tavon too fast for Foles? I've seen several plays where he has to slow up to catch the ball (Sherman in the end zone for example). BTW, I remember when people here bashed Fletcher.

As is the case with any new QB, their timing certainly needs some work.
-------
Without Bradford to bash it looks like Laurinaitis is next in line.

Could be.
-------
what's the deal with Brian Quick?

You know the situation. Fisher likes to dress only so many WRs. Givens played very well in the preseason. Quick is rusty coming back from the injury. Fisher values special teams (Bradley Marquez). I get all that. But after scoring 10 points and then 6 points, why not try something different? Like Quick. That's where I'm at.
-------
Is it time to open up the offense, and try to set up the run by establishing a passing game early in the game? I think they have enough talent at WR to at least give it a shot.

I would've liked to have seen that approach against Pittsburgh's secondary last week.
-------
The last two games having been awful, Fishers has to take the blame for the worst offence in the NFL you could see a mile away that this team would struggle to score points

Yeah, I think most of us expected some tough going early, but maybe not this tough.
--------
The national media seemed to think that Fisher was overrated when the Rams hired him, and he certainly hasn't done anything to change that perception. Agree?

I do not remember the national media saying Fisher was overrated when he was hired.
-------
Did I miss something? If Big Ben had not been hurt this game would not of been close...Roethlisbuger was 20 for 24 200 yards passing when he was hurt, that does not sound like a great defense to me...Seahawks put 31 points on them, Redskins abused them and the Steelers were killing them up to the point Big Ben left the game...What am I missing about this great defense?

Yeah, apparently you missed the fact that it was still 9-3 when Roethlisberger was injured. Apparently you missed the fact that from early in the second quarter after the Pittsburgh TD to late in the third quarter (when Roethlisberger was hurt) that the Steelers had 33 yards of offense.
-------
Will Trey Watts be up this week? Can we cut Isiaah Pead now?
Was Cook hurt, or double teamed? I thought he'd do some damage against the Steeler secondary. Outside of poor blocking, he usually plays with passion.

Watts is eligible to return to the active roster after the Arizona game.
-------
Haven't the Rams used the same flame throwers during introductions for years? Am I paranoid, or was that a set up to make the stadium (and thus STL) look bad?

Yeah, they've had similar introductions for years. And yeah, I think you're paranoid on this one.
-------
Is Hekker's leg about to fall off?

Sadly, he was perhaps the team MVP in the Washington game.
-------
I expected much more from Cook against the Steelers. Was he double teamed or what?
I thougt Britt, and Tavon were our best playmakers Sunday.

No doubt Britt and Tavon were just that. As for Cook haven't looked at the coaches tape yet so I don't know what to tell you. He does have the tendency to disappear in some games.
--------
Is the team allowed to practice in the dome? I ask because Kendricks complained he lost the ball in the lights. If that is the case it seems to me a good spell of practice in the dome, under the lights, would be in order.

They've practiced in the dome once or twice before. In fairness to Kendricks, I have been told by past receivers that they thought there was a blind spot or two in the dome lighting.
--------
I know you don't like uniform questions but I can't help but wonder why Fisher won't use the gold pants. He has tried all other combinations to try to stir up some luck I'm sure. At least the gold pants helps us old timers remember the Rams when they could put some points on the board.

I believe teams are allowed only two colors of pants for regular uniforms, and the Rams decided to go with white and blue.
--------
Why do we insist on throwing the ball 4 yards when it's 3rd and 6? What evidence do we have that our receivers will ever break a tackle??

You've noticed that too. As for breaking tackles, did you see the Green Bay receivers get yards after the catch on Monday Night against Kansas City. Pretty impressive.
--------
How is the O-Line doing compared to how well you thought they were going to play coming into the season?

I thought they'd run block a little better, even early in the season.
------
Is Fisher that delusional or perhaps arrogant that he actually believes the offensive line played well and they are that close to 3-0? Or is his job status extremely secure that he doesnt have the fears other coaches do of needing success?

I kinda think he has a pretty good idea that unless this season is a disaster _ of the 4-12 or so variety. Fisher always portrays confidence, rarely gets flustered publicly _ that's his personality. He is trying to project confidence. He's been around long enough that he's not going to give up on a season, 3 games in. But I know where you're coming from. Just once, it might be nice to see him throw a chair in frustration or call out a player or two. But that's not his makeup.
-------
The offensive line is getting better. the Rams should be 2-1. My prediction -- you will remember for this next week -- Rams blow away AZ in AZ for a solid victory making the Rams 2 and 2. Foles (an AZ college boy) gets back his form and timing. Rams D stuffs AZ.

OK then. You saw it here first. And probably last.
-------
Gronk torched the Steelers early in the year, how do we not put one or two plays like that in there?

Well, the Rams did try to go to Kendricks, didn't they?
-------
I hear from sports talk and the talking heads that we have a superstar coaching staff. Why aren't they able to make adjustments quicker. Also, why does it take so long for the players they draft to adjust.

Why aren't players sat when they keep making the same bonehead mistakes over and over? Are the backups that bad.

First off, if you hear it from talking heads or sports talk radio, it must be true, right? #sarcasm. I'm not sure if adjustments, or lack of adjustments, are really the main issue here early in the season. As to your second question, the bench can be a big motivator.
--------
I agree that Cook seems to disappear during games. Since he has issues blocking as well, does it make sense to sit him for a game to try and light a fire? Just appears to be a lack of urgency or focus.

Don't know about all that. But I think getting him involved in the passing game early might be a good idea.
-------
a pet peeve- on kickoffs, the 20 yard line is automatic by downing the ball in the end zone. Yet we continually see many teams run it out only to be stopped shy of the 20 it seems well greater than 75% of the time. Are coaches that slow to catch on to tell their players to down it and take the 20?

I think as a general rule if the kickoff goes 5-6 yards deep into the end zone or less, they're fine with the return man giving it a shot. Deeper than that, it's probably better to take the touchback.
-------
I'm pretty sure Kendricks makes less than Cook but he seems to block better than Cook by a large margin. In your opinion, has Fisher's loyalty to a previous player paid off in this case?

I think we've all seen that Cook does have some yards-after-the-catch ability. And is faster than most tight ends in the league. So you have that potential. Kendricks is regarded as a better blocker. But the Rams use 2 tight ends a lot. It's almost a 1, 1A type situation. Are you saying Kendricks should play ahead of Cook.
--------
re Cook, not sure Kendricks plays ahead of Cook, but I believe Cook's salary is in the high end. I suppose what I'm asking your opinion on is he worth the price paid? Kendricks was the hero week 1, but did have a bad drop week 3- not to say Cook has a great pair of mitts on him either.

I think it's debatable if Cook is worth the money at this point.
--------
Whats the deal with Akeem Ayers? Seems like Barron playing a lot of linebacker. Ayers has a total of 3 tackles, is that a concern.

Actually he has 6 tackles but I get your point. Even in the best of times the strong side LB (which is Ayers' position) plays only 35 to 40 percent of the time. But Ayers isn't playing much _ 9 snaps in the opener, 27 plays in Week 2, only 10 plays vs. Pittsburgh. Barron has been pretty effective in that LB role, both rushing the passer and defending the run, so that has cut into Ayers time.
-------
Not that payroll determines success...but our defense has been strong for a few years now while offense has struggled. Do you know how Rams payroll breakout between Offense, Defense and Special Teams compares to teams that are successful?

That's an interesting question, and I don't have a hard and fast answer off the top of my head. But I'm sure it's tilted strongly toward defense right now based on the experience factor on that side of the ball (as opposed to all the inexperience on defense). Most of the elite teams in the NFL have elite, very highly-paid QBs, so I would guess the Rams are more the exception than the rule.
--------
I hear a lot of people calling for brian quick to be inserted into the line-up as if he is a cure-all. gimme a break are you people delusional? one player is not going to make a difference on a fisher led offense. I have been saying it since fisher took over, "do not expect an offensive juggernaut under fisher". Look at his past tenn teams.

The "little" offense will always take a back seat to the BIG D. and although that might not be a bad thing, the man has not clue about offense and evidently neither to any of his subordinates. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this defense, although improved, is incapable of carrying this team. When a big play is needed this team fails and will continue to fail under fisher. the seahag game was a fairytale, wake up people and welcome to mediocre to bad rams football. At least the whiners look worse than this assembled bunch of losers????? sorry no question but where would I start?

I get your basic point. We're talking about a guy with 54 catches for 833 yards in a 3-year career. Not Jerry Rice. But I do think Quick showed potential last season. And based on the lack of production offensively the past couple of weeks, why not give him a chance? He may not put the offense over the top, but maybe it helps a little bit. As for your larger point, it's true that Fisher is defensive oriented, but I think we're safe in assuming he'd like a more productive offense. I wouldn't say he has no clue.
--------
For upcoming game against the Cardinals, what's the over/under on the following items:

Passes Dropped by Rams receivers

Third down passes short of the down marker

Blocks not made by the O-Line

Number of excuses Fisher gives to the media for another poor outing.

Yes, I'm getting a bit jaded.

Oh my, so this is what it's gotten to. St. Louis is indeed a jaded football town.
-------
Lets be honest Jim. We are supposed to be a running team but yet we cant run! We have officially sunk to the worst offense in the league. I know certain reason/excuses can be attributed 1) new rookie OC 2) young OL 3) Jeff Fishers stubborness to draft OL in past drafts with our top picks but keep drafting dline and rbs. At this point, if we lose the next two games, I want fisher gone during the bye week! He clearly cant coach NOR ADAPT ingame to the new NFL! your thoughts?

I think everyone is weary of waiting for this team to turn the corner. But no, we're not going to see a repeat of 2008 (coach fired during bye week).
--------
Why not fire Fisher during the bye week! SAve us the trouble of sitting through the remaining 9 games of this mediocrity. I just read an article on NFL.com and Tyran M. of AZ gave us praise as a good team and ask "why dont those guys win superbowl every year".

When the premier star of your division rival praises you and wonders how you underachieve with that talent, it begs to question the people at the top! Fire Fischer this year! and next year if the team sucks with a new coach, fire Les Snead and the entire scouting department! (im still pissed abt 2012 draft with us taking Quick over Alshon)

So if I'm reading you right, you want the guillotine rolled out into the Rams Park parking lot ASAP.
--------
So, if Nick Foles is competing 62+% of his passes, and they are going for 7 yards per attempt, shouldn't the Rams do something crazy like do nothing but pass for the first two series of a game to open up the run game?

As you probably know by now that's not Fisher's style. Do you remember the start of the 2013 season when Bradford led the Rams to a fourth-quarter comeback in the opener against Arizona going no-huddle, and then almost pulled off a huge comeback going no-huddle in Week 2 against Atlanta. Bradford looked very comfortable in that style of offense. I asked Fisher the Monday after the Atlanta game if he ever thought about going to the no-huddle _ at least on occasion. The answer: No. (End of discussion.)
--------
Can we safely say the Jared Cook experiment is over? As a pass catching TE - I believe part of your job is to catch passes - correct? Or am I expecting too much?

No. I think it's fair to question whether he is playing up to his contract, but he is tied for the team lead in catches and second in receiving yards so far this season. He led the team in catches and yards in 2013, his first season here, and led the team in catches and was second in yards in '14. He was thrown to only 3 times in the Pittsburgh game.

There are fans on this chat who want Quick to play and be active in this offense. Who think Bailey should get the ball more often. Who think Givens should be more involved. Well, when you're getting only 50 plays on offense a game _ a league-low _ how many passes do you think there are to go around?
--------
If the D can play consistently at the level seen on Sunday then we could make 7-9 even with offensive ineptitude. To make it to the playoffs, the offense has to grow (Foles gets in rhythm, TE catch passes, Bailey and Givens get open, OL blocks and Gurley starts to produce). If that happens 9-7 or 10-6 is possible.

Questions is, do we know why Quick is still sidelined – seems more than a numbers thing as suggested – is he still injured? Also have we signed Nick Toon as reported in a couple of places yesterday? Rams consistently inconsistent for last 4 years – are we any better than 2012? I am officially bemused!

To answer your very last question.. There's no doubt in my mind that the Rams have better personnel than they did in 2012. But I can't sit here and tell you that they're going to end up better than the 7-8-1 record of that season.
--------
Jeff Fisher is one really arrogant and delusional coach. “We are a few plays away from being 3-0”. “Todd (Gurley) was like six carries for nine yards. He could have very well had 50 or 60 yards in those six carries, he was that close”. Does this guy really think anybody’s buying this crap at this point.

If this were NY or Philly he would be getting crucified (and justifiably so). Jim, now be honest, do you see this coach/regime having what it takes to get this team back to being a playoff team? (not just a .500 team)

It's hard to see it at this point.
-------
What has me most concerned on offense is that we cannot even move the ball at the end of the game when we are trailing. In the last two weeks, the Rams have turned the ball over on downs on their last drive. Typically an offense can at least get some garbage yards at the end of the game when the opposing team’s defense is in prevent mode.

At worst, teams will run out of time while they still have the ball, or will score and then have to try an onside kick or something. We barely eked out a couple of first downs combined in the final drives of the last two games. That is not very encouraging

No it's not.
-------
Why does Fisher stress the run game so much when the NFL is a passng league. seems like he's living in the past.

Maybe. But the last three NFC teams to reach the Super Bowl _ Seattle (twice) and San Francisco _ were run-oriented teams. So it can be done that way. The Rams obviously aren't running nearly as effectively to get anywhere near that level.
--------
Were we ever close to getting Shanahan as our OC? He called a great game for the Falcons this week, finds ways to get Julius Jones open and is the only one to figure out how to use a healthy RG3. If Fisher is such good friends with his father, Mike Shanahan, what happened?

Don't think so.
---------
Any idea if the Rams are tweaking the game plan for a road game against the Cardinals? I'm thinking 2 yards per carry, a fake of some sort, a screen or two, and a gimmick play to tavon ain't going to cut it this week.

What would you suggest?
--------
did you get any impressions of Gurley from his play? I couldn't tell if his playbook is limited, the line didn't hold up, or if he was over hyped. I like to think it was just him getting his feet wet and next week there might be some better plays to take advantage of what he is supposed to bring to the table.

He looked like a guy who hadn't carried a football since November.
--------
So Fisher thinks they are a play or two away from being 3-0 huh? Kind of reminds me of something Whitey Herzog said when he was managing the cellar dwelling Texas Rangers in 1974, "We're only two players away from being a contender; Babe Ruth and Sandy Koufax."

Nice.
-------
Fisher seemed to back away from his comments immediately after the game about not tolerating mistakes (drops/penalties) any longer. It seems the drops are mostly confined to our tight ends. What can they do to fix it, absent personnel changes?

I don't know, it was mainly backs and wide receivers in the Washington game.
--------
As a season ticket holder, I received an emailed survey yesterday asking about traffic after the game, the game-day experience, etc. Have you heard any rumblings about problems and/or complaints? The traffic in the Laclede's Landing area was an absolute nightmare and no law enforcement to help with traffic. Also, even at the Club Level, there were some super obnoxious, obscenity shouting Steelers fans in our section and never a sign of an usher or security.

Sure, you can text somebody about it but any usher that made even a 30-second appearance would see. I'm not sure we even know how to do an NFL game in St. Louis. We need a new stadium and a new approach. The winning part would also be great. Thanks for the chats! We appreciate you! Go ST. LOUIS Rams, you are hard on us but you're all we've got and we still love you!

Interesting. First I've heard of this.
--------
Is there no love lost between Arians & Fisher? Seems like Arians takes coaching against Fisher and the Rams personal? Can we do better than the 49ers did against the Redbirds?

I don't know if you can say all that just based off Arians' comments after the game here last year. But there certainly were some shots fired.
--------
That 100 yard game by Britt was the first in how many games(dating back to last season)?

Britt had nine catches for 103 yards last year vs. NY Giants in Game 15. But the Rams haven't had many lately, that's for sure.
-------
Who got cut from the practice squad?

Nick Toon fills the practice squad spot created by the promotion of Brandon McGee to the active roster. McGee replaces Isaiah Pead on the active roster Pead was cut.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Barring a big upset at Arizona or Green Bay

A win in Arizona isn't an upset. They are being WAAAAAY over hyped. I pray they are reading their media and come strutting on the field like this is a gimmie. They ain't seen nothin' yet. Nothin'.

Did I miss something? If Big Ben had not been hurt this game would not of been close...Roethlisbuger was 20 for 24 200 yards passing when he was hurt, that does not sound like a great defense to me...Seahawks put 31 points on them, Redskins abused them and the Steelers were killing them up to the point Big Ben left the game...What am I missing about this great defense?

This is exactly what the Hawks fans did. They extrapolate out the numbers they like and ignore the ones they don't.

So what if he had 200 yards?! Did they start awarding points for yards?! The Rams ALWAYS give up yards over scores. It's why their D is so damn good yet underrated in the rankings.

Extrapolated out, Big Ben gets 300 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 INTs. Did he forget that part? That's not a great defense?! In what world?!

And no, idiot, the Seahawks offense put 18 on them, NOT 31. If you're going to beat on your own team, at least know what you are talking about. I can only believe that's a Cards shill or RamStalk regular.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As you probably know by now that's not Fisher's style. Do you remember the start of the 2013 season when Bradford led the Rams to a fourth-quarter comeback in the opener against Arizona going no-huddle, and then almost pulled off a huge comeback going no-huddle in Week 2 against Atlanta. Bradford looked very comfortable in that style of offense. I asked Fisher the Monday after the Atlanta game if he ever thought about going to the no-huddle _ at least on occasion. The answer: No. (End of discussion.)
by jthomas September 29 at 2:50 PM

I think this is all you need to know about how much control Jeff Fisher has over the offense.

Athos

Legend

I think this is all you need to know about how much control Jeff Fisher has over the offense.

#waytoomuch

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Last time we played them when they were undefeated they got 3 points and were sacked 9 times.
I'd love a rinse and repeat Sunday.

Rainram

Starter

Yup...it's sooooo entirely opposite to how he wants this team to play.

To which I reply..."Fine. Then at least get them to play how you want." I expect to see us play much better this game. Jeff Fisher knows how big this one is.

Rainram

Starter
Last time we played them when they were undefeated they got 3 points and were sacked 9 times.
I'd love a rinse and repeat Sunday.
Me too!

(But that was a couple years ago. They have a much better OLine. Veldheer handled Quinn last year a little too well for my liking.)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Were we ever close to getting Shanahan as our OC? He called a great game for the Falcons this week, finds ways to get Julius Jones open and is the only one to figure out how to use a healthy RG3. If Fisher is such good friends with his father, Mike Shanahan, what happened?

On the Ross Tucker show this morning they discussed how Shanahan, with his fullback formations, is now a rare matchup in the NFL. The fullback plowing away, or staying in for max protect.

Because no other teams utilize a true fullback like he does, the defenses aren't exactly used to, or built, for that matchup.

It got me thinking how this sounded perfect for a Jeff Fisher offense, and how Shanahan might have been a good fit here.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Winning cures all. Two wins in a row here, going into the bye, could change everybody's perspective. Let's just wait a little longer before hammering everybody, guys. We dropped a couple we shouldn't have, so let's gain a couple we shouldn't. We can do this. It's all a matter of how fast we develope and mature. Remember, the defense looked horrible in the early parts of last year. The second half was the opposite. I expect the same from the offense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On the Ross Tucker show this morning they discussed how Shanahan, with his fullback formations, is now a rare matchup in the NFL. The fullback plowing away, or staying in for max protect.

Because no other teams utilize a true fullback like he does, the defenses aren't exactly used to, or built, for that matchup.

It got me thinking how this sounded perfect for a Jeff Fisher offense, and how Shanahan might have been a good fit here.

I'm guessing that high schools and colleges are shying away from the fullback position as a relic of the past. Therefore you don't see too many of them at the NFL level. It's a copycat league though and as soon as an NFL team utilizes the fullback position again with success, other teams will follow which will filter down the college and high school levels. But for now the position seems dead.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1748724-are-fullbacks-a-dying-breed-in-todays-nfl

Are Fullbacks a Dying Breed in Today's NFL?
By Mike Freeman, NFL National Lead Writer

San Diego's Le'Ron McClain remembers one of his first severe concussions.

He was with the Kansas City Chiefs. It was 2011. There was a collision, the details of which he still cannot exactly remember. The symptoms began with a dull pain in his neck, then a tingling sensation that started in his feet, then a constellation in his head.

The stars eventually disappeared, but the tingling stayed.

McClain stayed on the ground for a moment, then slowly made his way to the bench. He put his helmet close by, thinking he would shake it off and return to the game. This is the fighter mentality. This is what players like him have done for a generation.

Once his head cleared, McClain reached for his helmet. It had disappeared.

The trainers had confiscated it.

"I was pissed," McClain remembered. "I told them I was fine, but they said, 'If you were fine, you wouldn't be feeling tingling in your feet.' Looking back, I'm glad they protected me.

"This is what happens when you play this position. Almost every play there's a bad collision. Every play I bang."

39ofn_original.gif

Yes, this is the life of a fullback. But it won't be for long.

There are many other positions in football where the collisions and violence are extreme, but fullback might be the most brutal of them all, because so many of their blocks are at or near full speed. When offensive linemen use their hands to pass block, fullbacks are using their heads. When middle linebackers drop into pass coverage, the fullback is still head-knocking.

All of these reasons (plus a few more) are why the fullback position, in its truest form, is just about dead.

Not-so-distant-future dad: "Let me tell you about a time when football was played with fullbacks."

Son: "What's a fullback?"

Dad: "He blocked and was bloodied and tough and a punisher."

Son: "What's blocking?"

Fullbacks are about to jump the Sharknado. In just a few years, we may be talking about the position with the kind of smirking reminiscence we do eight-track cassettes and jorts.

Along the way, players like McClain dutifully play on. While the quarterbacks and wide receivers get the commercials and nine-figure contracts, maybe the bravest men on the field play in relative obscurity, fighting through harsh violence and a sport that sometimes doesn't respect them.

"We're not the glamorous guys," McClain said, "but we love football as much as any other player that plays a different position."

McClain, one of the best blockers of the past half-decade, was released by the Ravens in 2011 and says part of the reason was that he wanted a larger role. He didn't want to be just a head-banger; he didn't want to be just a fullback.

"In Baltimore, I got a little bit of a big head," he said. "The entire thing humbled me. It was a blessing in disguise. Now I feel like I have another chance to prove myself."

As offenses have become far more pass-oriented and rules have been introduced to prevent the extreme violence that was once a staple of the position, fullbacks are being used far less. How much less is hard to quantify, but one scout estimated that fullbacks were probably involved in 50 to 60 percent of plays in the 1980s, and that number is now down to five to 10 percent and dropping rapidly.

Many colleges, due to the proliferation of the spread offense, no longer use true fullbacks, so the feeder system to the NFL has evaporated. For some players, the position simply isn't glamorous enough.

"Nobody ever grows up wanting to be a fullback,” Baltimore's VontaLeach told Scott Cacciola of The New York Times. “Who really wants to block somebody every down?”

"The innovation of NFL offenses, and largely thanks to the college game, has been focused on putting more speed on the field," said Matt Miller, Bleacher Report's NFL Draft Lead Writer. "NFL coaches would rather take a tight end who can run a 4.5 40 and teach him to block, because then he's a three-tool player. The classic fullback can do one thing: block."

There have also been whispers of NFL teams not wanting the headache (no pun intended) of using a player who has perhaps the highest probability of being repeatedly concussed.

With so much attention paid to concussions and thousands of former players filing lawsuits against the league over them, it's understandable if some teams would rather avoid what they see as a high risk for low reward. I've heard this theory repeatedly from players and team officials as the biggest reason the position has fallen out of favor so fast.

Still, there are a handful of places where the fullback position is prospering, like Baltimore, San Francisco and Minnesota. The Vikings use the lead draw with a fullback, which is extremely old school, andAdrian Peterson has thrived off of it—though that's as much because Peterson is so damn good and the quarterback there has been so damn bad.

There's even been talk of a fullback resurgence, but that's just plain ridiculous. They're just morphing into hybrids like Greg Jones, who's now in Houston. The true incarnation of the fullback is all but gone. "Now and in the future," McClain said, "you can't just be a battering ram.

"I've adapted my game over the last few years where I try to be a better pass catcher and runner for when I get the chance to carry the ball," McClain said. "The biggest adjustment I've made is learning to block all over the field, not just as a lead blocker."

McClain has been part of some of the more violent collisions in recent years. He remembers several in particular. The hardest hit he delivered was the cratering of Cleveland's T.J. Ward. The hardest hit he remembers taking was in 2008 when he was blasted by Pittsburgh's James Harrison.

But despite those rough hits and recent trends, McClain isn't changing his mentality.

"You have to think about the violence to your body and mind, but you can't let it stop you," he said. "You get hit or you deliver a hit. I'm a fullback. I'd rather deliver the hit."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/337510-what-has-happened-to-the-nfl-fullback

What Has Happened to the NFL Fullback?
By Paul Preibisius, Analyst

At one time in the NFL's evolution, a strong fullback was as valuable to a team as nearly any "skill" position players.

They primarily punched open holes for 1,000-yard running backs, but also showed the capacity to catch outlet passes and pound home touchdowns on goal-line carries and first downs on short-yardage.

Teams are now evolving their offenses in ways not kind to the traditional fullback. At present, many teams have no true fullback at all on their roster, and when they do, he is seeing fewer and fewer snaps. Frequently, teams have been turning to the versatile H-back in lieu of a true NFL fullback.

The dawn of the tandem back system over a lone workhorse also leads to more formations with two running backs behind center over a genuine lead-blocker. Teams are also spreading to use more one-back three wide sets or running behind two-tight end formations.

Le'Ron McClain, the AFC’s Pro Bowl selection at fullback, is a restricted free agent who could easily see teams throw money at him to play in more of a ball-carrier role. McClain’s departure for carries would be something never dreamed of by the man he replaced, the epitome of the grizzled old fullback—Lorenzo Neal.

Among the Super Bowl teams, New Orleans lost their opening stay starter (and among the NFL’s better fullbacks) in Heath Evans after Week Seven.

The result was seven more consecutive wins and two playoff victories behind Kyle Eckel, who didn’t even play in three of the team’s Evans-less games. Listed behind Eckel on the fullback depth chart is Dave Thomas, who is, in fact, a tight end.

The other team still alive in the playoffs goes one better. Indianapolishas no listed fullback on its roster. The team made very minimal use of the running game at all, putting up the league’s 32nd ranked rushing attack across the regular season.

As the Lorenzo Neals and Tony Richardsons of the league age (39 and 28, respectively), few players are stepping into that dedicated head-bashing role. Of Sporting News magazine’s 10 best fullbacks, nearly half (four) were converted from other positions. That percentage goes up when looking deeper down the list.

An increased emphasis on passing the football makes it difficult to put as much time and effort into finding and developing a fullback as other positions that are going to see more snaps and act in a greater role.

The rise and proliferation of the spread offense in college (taking pass-centric football one step further) makes elite players out of college rare at this position.

Hard-nosed hitters are groomed to be linebackers instead. Big 240-260 pounders that can carry the football are staying on as true running backs instead of getting the Csonka/Nagurski treatment.

The roots of this go as far back as the early 1980s. Joe Gibbs, head coach of the Washington Redskins, took ideas developed by other head coaches and popularized it. He utilized a mobile H-back instead of an actual fullback. This was paired with various receiver alignments to create mismatches against opposing offenses.

This system not only was effective in passing the football, but proved that an offense spread into more pass-centric formations could still effectively run the football, as John Riggins spent the four year Washington tenure of his Hall of Fame career playing within this new Gibbs system.

The Redskins' success in a system used mostly out of necessity (limited talent at fullback and great tight end types) encouraged other teams to delve into more limited back sets.

The rise of the West Coast offense gave some respite for the fullback position. The position as used by Bill Walsh has great use for a multi-purpose fullback who will catch, run, and lead block in equal capacity.

Modern times have slipped away from that, however, even with the West Coast system remaining popular. The last time a fullback was drafted in the first round was 1994, that player (William Floyd) was just a pair of names short of being a second-rounder himself, going as the 28th pick.

This year should be no different. Among the NFL’s fullback prospects, Pittsburgh’s Doren Dickerson, Florida Atlantic’s Willie Rose, and Maryland’s Cory Jackson are the only fullbacks projected to even potentially see the sixth round. All others are considered bound for the seventh round or rookie free agency.

The last Hall of Fame fullback goes back much further. Larry Csonka, 31 years retired, is the last to be inducted. He shares the pseudo-running back role that the other Hall of Fame fullbacks were given. No pure blocking fullback has ever got in on a Hall of Fame ballot. Perhaps Lorenzo Neal’s eventual retirement can change that.

For now, we will have to watch and wait as the fullback slips away from another offense or two every year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Winning cures all. Two wins in a row here, going into the bye, could change everybody's perspective. Let's just wait a little longer before hammering everybody, guys. We dropped a couple we shouldn't have, so let's gain a couple we shouldn't. We can do this. It's all a matter of how fast we develope and mature. Remember, the defense looked horrible in the early parts of last year. The second half was the opposite. I expect the same from the offense.

I'm with you.

We win the weekend, at 2-2 heading to Green Bay, we'll be thinking we can upset them.

In 10 days, it could all look very different. We could be the media darlings if we win these 2.

nanotech

Rookie
I'm with you.

We win the weekend, at 2-2 heading to Green Bay, we'll be thinking we can upset them.

In 10 days, it could all look very different. We could be the media darlings if we win these 2.
dream.gif

Attachments

• dream.gif
    dream.gif
    109.8 KB · Views: 122

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I'm guessing that high schools and colleges are shying away from the fullback position as a relic of the past. Therefore you don't see too many of them at the NFL level. It's a copycat league though and as soon as an NFL team utilizes the fullback position again with success, other teams will follow which will filter down the college and high school levels. But for now the position seems dead.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1748724-are-fullbacks-a-dying-breed-in-todays-nfl

Are Fullbacks a Dying Breed in Today's NFL?
By Mike Freeman, NFL National Lead Writer

San Diego's Le'Ron McClain remembers one of his first severe concussions.

He was with the Kansas City Chiefs. It was 2011. There was a collision, the details of which he still cannot exactly remember. The symptoms began with a dull pain in his neck, then a tingling sensation that started in his feet, then a constellation in his head.

The stars eventually disappeared, but the tingling stayed.

McClain stayed on the ground for a moment, then slowly made his way to the bench. He put his helmet close by, thinking he would shake it off and return to the game. This is the fighter mentality. This is what players like him have done for a generation.

Once his head cleared, McClain reached for his helmet. It had disappeared.

The trainers had confiscated it.

"I was pissed," McClain remembered. "I told them I was fine, but they said, 'If you were fine, you wouldn't be feeling tingling in your feet.' Looking back, I'm glad they protected me.

"This is what happens when you play this position. Almost every play there's a bad collision. Every play I bang."

39ofn_original.gif

Yes, this is the life of a fullback. But it won't be for long.

There are many other positions in football where the collisions and violence are extreme, but fullback might be the most brutal of them all, because so many of their blocks are at or near full speed. When offensive linemen use their hands to pass block, fullbacks are using their heads. When middle linebackers drop into pass coverage, the fullback is still head-knocking.

All of these reasons (plus a few more) are why the fullback position, in its truest form, is just about dead.

Not-so-distant-future dad: "Let me tell you about a time when football was played with fullbacks."

Son: "What's a fullback?"

Dad: "He blocked and was bloodied and tough and a punisher."

Son: "What's blocking?"

Fullbacks are about to jump the Sharknado. In just a few years, we may be talking about the position with the kind of smirking reminiscence we do eight-track cassettes and jorts.

Along the way, players like McClain dutifully play on. While the quarterbacks and wide receivers get the commercials and nine-figure contracts, maybe the bravest men on the field play in relative obscurity, fighting through harsh violence and a sport that sometimes doesn't respect them.

"We're not the glamorous guys," McClain said, "but we love football as much as any other player that plays a different position."

McClain, one of the best blockers of the past half-decade, was released by the Ravens in 2011 and says part of the reason was that he wanted a larger role. He didn't want to be just a head-banger; he didn't want to be just a fullback.

"In Baltimore, I got a little bit of a big head," he said. "The entire thing humbled me. It was a blessing in disguise. Now I feel like I have another chance to prove myself."

As offenses have become far more pass-oriented and rules have been introduced to prevent the extreme violence that was once a staple of the position, fullbacks are being used far less. How much less is hard to quantify, but one scout estimated that fullbacks were probably involved in 50 to 60 percent of plays in the 1980s, and that number is now down to five to 10 percent and dropping rapidly.

Many colleges, due to the proliferation of the spread offense, no longer use true fullbacks, so the feeder system to the NFL has evaporated. For some players, the position simply isn't glamorous enough.

"Nobody ever grows up wanting to be a fullback,” Baltimore's VontaLeach told Scott Cacciola of The New York Times. “Who really wants to block somebody every down?”

"The innovation of NFL offenses, and largely thanks to the college game, has been focused on putting more speed on the field," said Matt Miller, Bleacher Report's NFL Draft Lead Writer. "NFL coaches would rather take a tight end who can run a 4.5 40 and teach him to block, because then he's a three-tool player. The classic fullback can do one thing: block."

There have also been whispers of NFL teams not wanting the headache (no pun intended) of using a player who has perhaps the highest probability of being repeatedly concussed.

With so much attention paid to concussions and thousands of former players filing lawsuits against the league over them, it's understandable if some teams would rather avoid what they see as a high risk for low reward. I've heard this theory repeatedly from players and team officials as the biggest reason the position has fallen out of favor so fast.

Still, there are a handful of places where the fullback position is prospering, like Baltimore, San Francisco and Minnesota. The Vikings use the lead draw with a fullback, which is extremely old school, andAdrian Peterson has thrived off of it—though that's as much because Peterson is so damn good and the quarterback there has been so damn bad.

There's even been talk of a fullback resurgence, but that's just plain ridiculous. They're just morphing into hybrids like Greg Jones, who's now in Houston. The true incarnation of the fullback is all but gone. "Now and in the future," McClain said, "you can't just be a battering ram.

"I've adapted my game over the last few years where I try to be a better pass catcher and runner for when I get the chance to carry the ball," McClain said. "The biggest adjustment I've made is learning to block all over the field, not just as a lead blocker."

McClain has been part of some of the more violent collisions in recent years. He remembers several in particular. The hardest hit he delivered was the cratering of Cleveland's T.J. Ward. The hardest hit he remembers taking was in 2008 when he was blasted by Pittsburgh's James Harrison.

But despite those rough hits and recent trends, McClain isn't changing his mentality.

"You have to think about the violence to your body and mind, but you can't let it stop you," he said. "You get hit or you deliver a hit. I'm a fullback. I'd rather deliver the hit."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/337510-what-has-happened-to-the-nfl-fullback

What Has Happened to the NFL Fullback?
By Paul Preibisius, Analyst

At one time in the NFL's evolution, a strong fullback was as valuable to a team as nearly any "skill" position players.

They primarily punched open holes for 1,000-yard running backs, but also showed the capacity to catch outlet passes and pound home touchdowns on goal-line carries and first downs on short-yardage.

Teams are now evolving their offenses in ways not kind to the traditional fullback. At present, many teams have no true fullback at all on their roster, and when they do, he is seeing fewer and fewer snaps. Frequently, teams have been turning to the versatile H-back in lieu of a true NFL fullback.

The dawn of the tandem back system over a lone workhorse also leads to more formations with two running backs behind center over a genuine lead-blocker. Teams are also spreading to use more one-back three wide sets or running behind two-tight end formations.

Le'Ron McClain, the AFC’s Pro Bowl selection at fullback, is a restricted free agent who could easily see teams throw money at him to play in more of a ball-carrier role. McClain’s departure for carries would be something never dreamed of by the man he replaced, the epitome of the grizzled old fullback—Lorenzo Neal.

Among the Super Bowl teams, New Orleans lost their opening stay starter (and among the NFL’s better fullbacks) in Heath Evans after Week Seven.

The result was seven more consecutive wins and two playoff victories behind Kyle Eckel, who didn’t even play in three of the team’s Evans-less games. Listed behind Eckel on the fullback depth chart is Dave Thomas, who is, in fact, a tight end.

The other team still alive in the playoffs goes one better. Indianapolishas no listed fullback on its roster. The team made very minimal use of the running game at all, putting up the league’s 32nd ranked rushing attack across the regular season.

As the Lorenzo Neals and Tony Richardsons of the league age (39 and 28, respectively), few players are stepping into that dedicated head-bashing role. Of Sporting News magazine’s 10 best fullbacks, nearly half (four) were converted from other positions. That percentage goes up when looking deeper down the list.

An increased emphasis on passing the football makes it difficult to put as much time and effort into finding and developing a fullback as other positions that are going to see more snaps and act in a greater role.

The rise and proliferation of the spread offense in college (taking pass-centric football one step further) makes elite players out of college rare at this position.

Hard-nosed hitters are groomed to be linebackers instead. Big 240-260 pounders that can carry the football are staying on as true running backs instead of getting the Csonka/Nagurski treatment.

The roots of this go as far back as the early 1980s. Joe Gibbs, head coach of the Washington Redskins, took ideas developed by other head coaches and popularized it. He utilized a mobile H-back instead of an actual fullback. This was paired with various receiver alignments to create mismatches against opposing offenses.

This system not only was effective in passing the football, but proved that an offense spread into more pass-centric formations could still effectively run the football, as John Riggins spent the four year Washington tenure of his Hall of Fame career playing within this new Gibbs system.

The Redskins' success in a system used mostly out of necessity (limited talent at fullback and great tight end types) encouraged other teams to delve into more limited back sets.

The rise of the West Coast offense gave some respite for the fullback position. The position as used by Bill Walsh has great use for a multi-purpose fullback who will catch, run, and lead block in equal capacity.

Modern times have slipped away from that, however, even with the West Coast system remaining popular. The last time a fullback was drafted in the first round was 1994, that player (William Floyd) was just a pair of names short of being a second-rounder himself, going as the 28th pick.

This year should be no different. Among the NFL’s fullback prospects, Pittsburgh’s Doren Dickerson, Florida Atlantic’s Willie Rose, and Maryland’s Cory Jackson are the only fullbacks projected to even potentially see the sixth round. All others are considered bound for the seventh round or rookie free agency.

The last Hall of Fame fullback goes back much further. Larry Csonka, 31 years retired, is the last to be inducted. He shares the pseudo-running back role that the other Hall of Fame fullbacks were given. No pure blocking fullback has ever got in on a Hall of Fame ballot. Perhaps Lorenzo Neal’s eventual retirement can change that.

For now, we will have to watch and wait as the fullback slips away from another offense or two every year.

I'm an ex high school I formation fullback. I know the I formation is prehistoric, anyway I had 4.5 speed, and I was the first man on our 440 relay team. Quick starts, I wasn't a good 100 yard dash man. I had a few college offers, but my knees said no, and I didn't like getting my brain bell rung, fuzzy thoughts, and I see cartoon stars. I think I got a few concussions from my own teammates after a good plays. They slapped me hard upside my primitive 70'd helmet. ( Too many players get hurt celebrating- and that's got to hurt, in more than one way)

I am a dyed in the wool Rams fan. And when I blocked for my tailback, I imagined I was an insane ram galloping at top speed banging horns with a linebacker or defensive end. I pretended I was an Indian jumping off a boulder to split a cowboys skull with an axe. The defensive tackles I cut blocked. Defensive backs tried to dodge me. A good running back will set up his blocks in open field, so in space the ball carrier can make me look good or bad. In other words a smart running back needs to set up his blocks in open field. I digress

If Gurly is the real thing, then it would behoove the Rams to have a Battering Ram Blocker busting linebackers and flattening air born strong safeties- opening huge running lanes. The NFL passing game puts a premium on linebackers whom used to play strong safety. Olgetree is one of 'em. Strong safeties and OLB's are beginning to look interchangeable. Fisher could take advantage of this unique situation with a ball-busting-blocking fullback. You could get the best blocking running back in the world for 10 cents on the dollar.

Call him whatever you want. H-Back, fullback, running back, tight end, or triceratops. Find a pass pro perfect blocking back who can get to the second level and third to open lanes for Gurly, Mason, and Tavon. I'm tired of the Swiss army knife player. The player who does everything half ass. So what if this blocking monster only gets 4 seasonal carries and 3 catches. Let's bust some balls. I want a lead blocker who will deflate defensive egos. Play the monster 15%-30% of offensive plays. Don't let defensive coordinators get a refreshing night of sleep before they play the Rams! Please Snead find a brutal battering Ram!

If I want a Swiss Army Knife player I'd pick up a center or guard who could long snap. Teach one of your OL to long snap He could practice all offseason. An offensive lineman who block and long snap could secure a spot an any NFL team, thus freeing up an extra spot on the roster. WTF, why isn't that happening?

If our preseason offense was vanilla, so far our regular season offense has been French vanilla and I scream put an offensive lineman in TE position a few times a game. Or off balance line. Decoy Gurley to open up Tavon. Eventually Foles will connect with Tavon on a bomb.

Adapt Fisher and figure out a way to open up our running game. I know we can do it. Although we are 32nd in the league in offense, I know in my heart our offensive personnel are better then bottom of the barrel. Given an extra 1/3 of second in the pocket Foles will slice and dice defenses. Extra blockers open lanes and that in turn opens up play action. And Nick Foles rocks in play action!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I think I got a few concussions from my own teammates after a good plays.

My ex-wife worked at Kaiser Hospital in Santa Clara, CA. One night I picked her up at work and when I went to get into our Volkswagen, I slammed my head. She takes me back inside the hospital and lo and behold - a concussion is diagnosed. I remember the doctor telling her to wake me up every two hours for some reason.

I definitely wouldn't have made it as a fullback in the pros - a glass noggin and no coordination whatsoever. :cool:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thoughts on J Laurinaitis? Sure, he makes a lot of tackles, but alway 5-10 yards downfield. Always out of position in coverage and not much of a run stopper. I realize we are stuck with him this year but either he needs to play better or go.

I would put James Laurinaitis in the above average to very good category at linebacker. He is productive, he is a team leader (voted 4 times captain), he gets the defense lined up correctly, and frequently gets them out of bad plays. He is the Rams' best middle linebacker since London Fletcher. He handles himself with class on and off the field. St. Louis sports fans should be proud of him and how he represents the city week in and week out, year in and year out.

Just don't understand the Laurinaitis bashing.
I'd like proof of this....and I'll leave it alone....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This explains a lot! :LOL:

(seriously, hope there aren't any lingering effects)

That happened in the mid-seventies. There were others before and after that. :sneaky:

Honestly, the worst injuries I ever sustained playing sports was in high school soccer. Two achilles tendon tears and a concussion.

V3

Hall of Fame

Reading that portion got me a little pissed. I remember when it happened since it was a big red flag for me. Why do HCs have to be so stubborn sometimes?

Athos

Legend
I'd love to get a big, nasty, FB at this point. Our offense is going nowhere with the run blocking, though maybe transitioning away from the failed ZBS would be a start.

Trouble now is, where do we find a big nasty brawler willing to spring holes for RBs?

Imagine how effective a FB would be for Tavon. Get a big FB running in front of Austin and he disappears behind them, waiting to jet through holes that open up.

And barring that, for the love of god find a TE that loves blowing people up and is great at it.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm an ex high school I formation fullback. I know the I formation is prehistoric, anyway I had 4.5 speed, and I was the first man on our 440 relay team. Quick starts, I wasn't a good 100 yard dash man. I had a few college offers, but my knees said no, and I didn't like getting my brain bell rung, fuzzy thoughts, and I see cartoon stars. I think I got a few concussions from my own teammates after a good plays. They slapped me hard upside my primitive 70'd helmet. ( Too many players get hurt celebrating- and that's got to hurt, in more than one way)

I am a dyed in the wool Rams fan. And when I blocked for my tailback, I imagined I was an insane ram galloping at top speed banging horns with a linebacker or defensive end. I pretended I was an Indian jumping off a boulder to split a cowboys skull with an axe. The defensive tackles I cut blocked. Defensive backs tried to dodge me. A good running back will set up his blocks in open field, so in space the ball carrier can make me look good or bad. In other words a smart running back needs to set up his blocks in open field. I digress

If Gurly is the real thing, then it would behoove the Rams to have a Battering Ram Blocker busting linebackers and flattening air born strong safeties- opening huge running lanes. The NFL passing game puts a premium on linebackers whom used to play strong safety. Olgetree is one of 'em. Strong safeties and OLB's are beginning to look interchangeable. Fisher could take advantage of this unique situation with a ball-busting-blocking fullback. You could get the best blocking running back in the world for 10 cents on the dollar.

Call him whatever you want. H-Back, fullback, running back, tight end, or triceratops. Find a pass pro perfect blocking back who can get to the second level and third to open lanes for Gurly, Mason, and Tavon. I'm tired of the Swiss army knife player. The player who does everything half ass. So what if this blocking monster only gets 4 seasonal carries and 3 catches. Let's bust some balls. I want a lead blocker who will deflate defensive egos. Play the monster 15%-30% of offensive plays. Don't let defensive coordinators get a refreshing night of sleep before they play the Rams! Please Snead find a brutal battering Ram!

If I want a Swiss Army Knife player I'd pick up a center or guard who could long snap. Teach one of your OL to long snap He could practice all offseason. An offensive lineman who block and long snap could secure a spot an any NFL team, thus freeing up an extra spot on the roster. WTF, why isn't that happening?

If our preseason offense was vanilla, so far our regular season offense has been French vanilla and I scream put an offensive lineman in TE position a few times a game. Or off balance line. Decoy Gurley to open up Tavon. Eventually Foles will connect with Tavon on a bomb.

Adapt Fisher and figure out a way to open up our running game. I know we can do it. Although we are 32nd in the league in offense, I know in my heart our offensive personnel are better then bottom of the barrel. Given an extra 1/3 of second in the pocket Foles will slice and dice defenses. Extra blockers open lanes and that in turn opens up play action. And Nick Foles rocks in play action!
You'd think that with so few NFL teams using fullbacks, it wouldn't be as hard to find a good one. I tend to agree. If this team wants to be a run first team, they need to have a FB or an awesome run blocking O-line and we already know we don't have that last part.