Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 9/22/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts from the Q&A. To read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Thread.aspx?Id=1510617

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 9/22/15

Is this the most exasperating team ever? The St. Louis Football Cardinals were pretty rough on the nerves but this team sets a new standard every year.

It's certainly trending that way.
--------
a couple steps back last week after maybe hoping to step forward. Next three games will tell us a lot. 1) What’s your guess % on seeing Gurley Sunday, but if O-Line can’t control it could be a tough day. 2) Foles seemed to tweak his ankle, I assume he’s ok? We don’t need a Bradford high ankle sprain like against GB a few years back. 3) It was nice to read the Q&A last week, without the flurry of redundant relocation questions.

1.) I think it's 50-50 on Gurley's return this week. If not this week, then Arizona. 2.) Foles said he's OK after the game; Fisher says he's OK.
-------
At season end who do you think will have to worry more about job security? Chip or Jeff.

Probably Chip.
-------
Why does Austin seem reluctant to field a punt and return it..Seems too many fair catches with apparent running room

Not only fair catches, but just letting the short kick bounce and roll. The Rams lost a lot of field position that way against Washington.
-------
What kind of attendance are we expecting Sunday against Pittsburgh?

I haven't checked with any one this week, and it's still early in the week. But I still think we'll see a bigger crowd than opening day because there should be a ton of Steelers fans in the house. I'm gonna guess 50,000 _ in the building. Maybe a little more.
--------
What went wrong in Washington with the D-line and stopping the run? We seemed to contain Marshawn, but could not stop Morris.

Well it was more rookie Matt Jones than Morris. But your point is well taken. It was pretty simple. Washington was the more physical team. When you can't shed blocks, you're usually not going to stop the run.
--------
How are tackles calculated, on nfl reference JL55 tackles are no where close to what is being reported in the paper

Many sources base the tackling totals on press box stats, which are very unreliable. With so many things to keep track of by a press box stats crew, tackling totals aren't usually accuarte. Often there's a lot of bodies in the pile and it's difficult to keep track of who did what without benefit of looking at a replay a couple, three times.

The more reliable stat is tackling stats used by coaches' review of game film. Those are the numbers I use. And those are the numbers the Rams' use for calculating records. Keep in mind, tackles are not an official NFL stat.
--------
How big a factor was trade-bait for Mariota in the Bradford trade? I wonder if Kelly is having buyer's remorse.

I think Kelly genuinely liked the idea of getting Bradford. I'm sure he's disappointed, but I don't think he's ready to jettison Bradford after 2 games.
-------
If Quick is probable, why isn't he playing? The special teams comments don't make much sense, if he is our #1 WR, he should be active...unless he is still hurt, and then not really probable

I've answered this one about a dozen times already over the past couple of weeks.. So I'll try again. In returning from shoulder surgery, Quick played in only 30 plays in the preseason He's rusty. He's not injured. Not anymore. Fisher normally doesn't dress a bunch of receivers. (Because he doesn't have a pass-happy offense.) So in deciding who's the 5th receiver to dress, Fisher has opted for Bradley Marquez because of his special teams value.

Fisher is very big on special teams. Givens probably was the most impressive WR during the preseason, which I think has earned him the early-shot as the team's 4th WR. So it's a tough spot for Quick. The only way to knock off the rust is to play, and right now he can't get on the field. After last week's offensive struggles perhaps the situation gets re-evaluated this week. As for being the "No. 1" WR, I like Quick's potential a lot, but I don't think any Rams coach has referred to him as the No. 1 WR.
--------
Loving the rams is worser then being in a relationship.....i cant keep letting them break my heart ....they have know idea what they does to us rams fan!!!!!!!

Being a Rams fan is like going to the beach In Jaws. Just when you think it's safe to get back in the water. . . .
-------
predictions for Sundays game. I believe the Rams can win this game if they come out like they did against Seattle.

That would help. But they are also facing the NFL's top-rated offense in Pittsburgh. It's going to take a much better defensive effort than we saw in Washington. It's also going to take more than 10 points.
---------
Janoris Jenkins, help me understand. He's been burnt so many times he should be wearing a fireman's helmet.

He does give up some big plays. But I actually think he's been more consistent so far this season.
-------
is it me or does it seem like Tavon Austin is afraid to get hit...my wife refers to him as "Sideline", because that's always where he heads once he gets the ball!!

Well, he is a pretty small guy. I don't think he has the kind of frame where you want him to be trying to knock over would-be tacklers.
--------
do you agree that inconsistency in play and game planning week to week is primarily a coaching problem?

Partly. But you can't let the players off the hook, either. The thought was that this team might be more mature and more experienced at maintaining the week-to-week focus and intensity needed to succeed week after week in this league. That wasn't the case Sunday at FedEx.
------
With 2016 Free Agency coming for some of the Rams players, what's your thoughts on who the Rams might retain? And what are the Rams might be doing in regards to Chris Long, JL55 and Nick Fairley? Also are the Rams looking to upgrade their MLB position?

Way too early for this one.
--------
i say year after year JL is the weakest link in this defense along with J.Jinks......i watch the games over every monday ....say what you want to say this defense will not live up to its hype until they get a true MLB....we know u love lame Luarinitis

So I guess this is pile on Laurinaitis week, eh? Do you realize the quality of middle linebacker play for this franchise in the years between Fletcher and Laurinaitis? I'm sure he's the first to admit that Sunday wasn't his best afternoon.
--------
did the rams come out flat or were they over confident. I'd like to see c. Givens play more.

After a first half like Sunday's, I think flat, overconfident, lacking intensity would all be in play.
-------
What did Trumaine do to get benched at the beginning of the game?

Don't know. Couldn't have been much because he was only benched for 6 plays.

My own comment on this: didn't JT pay attention to Fisher's comments after the game? TJ was benched because he broke some team rules, and Fisher wouldn't specify. Then later on this - :confused:

I read Trumaine violated a team rule?

You read correctly. He was benched for the opening series.
------------
Well, we had that one good week...sigh. First half of the game Foles seemed to be throwing to open areas where there really wasn't a Rams receiver - bad communication, route running or they were all throw-away's due to the Washington pass rush?

Maybe a little bit of all that. Wasn't Foles' best game.
--------
the team looked so flat Sunday. I'm just curious, did they fly in the day before? If so what is more common around the league for the road team? Do they fly in one or two days ahead of time to recover from traveling ?

Except for West Coast trips, the team always travels on Saturdays for Sunday games. Under Fisher, they've left on Fridays for West Coast trips.
-------
Does Mike Tomlin seriously think he's going to come into the Dome and get a win?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is _ yes.
--------
safe to say the experiment of taking Thursdays off is over? Gotta blame the loss on something.

Not this week. Rams are practicing on Tuesday, taking Thursday off in preparation for Pittsburgh.
-------
How can a team with so many coaches get outcoached by a team with a fairly new coaching staff?

It happens.
--------
most glaring need on this team is still a game changer WR. Until this happens, Rams will be average at best, wouldn't you agree?

A game-changing WR is nice, but it's not a necessity. The last two Super Bowl champions, New England and Seattle, won without game-changing WRs.
---------
what do you think the biggest, glaring problem the Rams have so far is? The biggest factor in their loss to the Skins?

Run defense, run offense, time of possession, third down offense and defense.
-------
Does it seem the Redskins wanted this past Sunday's game more than the Rams to avoid last year's Rams beat down? Or does seem like it's Rams arrogance to just show up because it's the Redskins? Or is this the Same Old Sorry Assed Rams? What's your take?

I'm sure Washington didn't want to start 0-2, with both losses at home. Some Washington players talked about how that 24-0 loss to the Rams last year was extra motivation this time. I don't think the Rams were arrogant. But that week-to-week consistency in effort, execution, and intensity still is missing.
--------
I don't see the point i keeping Pead, Reynolds, and Watts to sit on the bench.....of the three, Pead seems to be the most likely to go ....your thoughts ?

Reynolds, now injured, is one of the team's top special teams players. So then it comes down to Watts, now suspended, or Pead once Watts' suspension ends.
-------
it sounds like you're saying that the only problems against Washington were the offense and defense but everything else was peachy.

Basically.
-------
Which fantasy football owner is happier after this week? One that starts the Rams defense or one that starts Le'Veon Bell?

Based on what happened last week at FedEx, I think we know the answer to that one.
------
It seemed like Cunningham played very well in the first game. So, they used Mason in the second game. I’m sure they thought that would be an improvement, but it really did not work. It seems like the team would benefit more from fielding a consistent lineup and building on their successes.

Cunningham was in for 22 plays, only six fewer than Mason. But I think the coaching staff believes Mason gives them more big play potential. But we all know that Gurley will be the feature back in time.
-------
Is it me or does it seem like the Rams can't get pressure without the blitz? Why can't the Rams get more push out of the front 4?

Did you not see the 6 sacks against Seattle? Many of them came without blitzing.
-------
The Rams only had 13 rushing plays the whole game. If Fisher wants to live and die by the run I can respect that if he sticks with his beliefs, especially with our young OL and wanting to protect Foles. Running it 13 times is not a commitment to ground and pound.

Agreed.
-------
Our screen plays looked terrible on Sunday. Do our running backs know that they have to get out in the flat in order to catch the screen pass? I saw Mason on several plays get caught in the backfield

Looked as if Washington had the screens well scouted.
-------
It was beginning to look grim in the 4th quarter even before Washington's long drive, Hekker went back to punt... here we go, gotta do something to turn the game around, fake! But no. Were you surprised Fisher didn't call some kind of trick play to keep the game from slipping away?

Yeah, I wondered about that once or twice during the game. But even with this team, trick plays only work a couple of times a year. Perhaps the Rams didn't see the look they needed to try something.
-------
I thought we had exorcised the Ghost of Schotty but maybe not. The playing calling by the Rams wasn't very inspired or at least fluid enough to adapt to what was happening on the field.

Wash your mouth Leo. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was Schotty's fault.
-------
do you think the Rams were tipping plays?

No, I think they weren't shedding blocks. And weren't winning the line of scrimmage on offense.
-------
I guess I never thought that in the near future this team would assessing how to stop the run. Maybe they need to spend a 1st rounder on the D-Line again next year?

A game like Sunday's makes you wonder if they've constructed this team the right way.
-------
Going into the last off season free agency/draft, the Rams needed to beef up the OL desperately. So what do they do, sign no one and draft an injured RB.

I've stated this before. Even thought they hadn't had much success with pricey UFA offensive linemen, I was surprised the Rams didn't sign a veteran starter.
-------
A veteran starter wouldve been BARKSDALE

That's a thought.
-------
I really like Ogletree's skill set and he's active, your thoughts?

He has very good range, plays with aggression, pretty good instincts, and a knack of forcing fumbles. Those are all good skills to have. He's off to a much better start this year than he was a year ago. Still needs to work on his coverage skills.
---------
The line is Pittsburgh giving 1pt . I'm shocked are you? It should be at least 7 you think?

I'm far from the gambling expert, but that's very surprising.
--------
I was surprised by the lack of playing time for Stedman Bailey in the preseason. We don't have a go to 3rd down receiver such as Austin Pettis or Danny Amendola. I was hoping Bailey was going to be the guy. Who do you see as that guy.

Bailey was on the field a lot Sunday _ 39 plays, or 75 percent of the Rams' offensive plays. He was targeted four times, with 1 catch.
--------
Maybe we shouldn't be so shocked. Jeff Fisher has his 8-8 plan, he's right on schedule.

Uh, we haven't seen 8-8 around here since 2006.
---------
Consistency is what kills the team. Not being able to carry momentum game to game. I think everyone's reading too much into this loss, defense just needs to get into a groove, and the offense just needs to get more experience together. With Seattle losing 2 straight it gives us a much better chance to maybe win this division. Am I right Jim?

I hear what you're saying. But the Rams are behind schedule in my book in losing to Washington. This is a brutal 3-game stretch coming up in Pittsburgh, @Arizona, and @Green Bay. Roethlisberger, Palmer and Rodgers. Somehow the Rams have to figure out how to win at least one of those three games.
--------
It seems to me the Rams M.O. is simple:when they have the ball on a third and eight they throw it four yards; when the opposing team has third and eight they play twelve yards off the receivers...accurate?

Sure seemed that way Sunday.
----------
How much do you think Fisher's own conservatism is holding back his co-ordinators natural instincts to attack?

Gregg Williams isn't shy about attacking. As for Cignetti, I'm not sure if his natural instinct is to attack.
--------
Who is gonna stop Antonio Brown ?? I dont trust Jenkins...and T.Johnson apparently still having some issues of the field..

That's the question isn't it. If I were Jenkins I certainly wouldn't be squatting on the underneath routes this week.
--------
I really think this offense can click once Gurly's running at full strength, Tavon Austin is free in open space and Quick is playing over the middle. I'm no expert but if the line can hold, don't those seem like a really good-looking offensive skill set once they're all in?

That's a cogent, well-thought out, glass-is-half-full line of reasoning.
--------
Agree or disagree. Fisher's time management skills are lacking and not indicative of a top-tier coach.

I don't think time management was the issue Sunday.
---------
how will rams look this weekend? bringing family from phily to our annual game. Its always a long flight home after a loss.

Their M.O. under Fisher often has been to follow a bad outing with a good one. But Pittsburgh's offense is clicking on all cylinders now, so even a much-improved showing by the Rams may not be enough.
--------
At the end of the first half with the ball on the Redskins 45 yard line the Rams pass into the middle of the field thus ensuring that they don't get off another play before the clock runs out. Why do this when they've got Zuerline who has already shown he can kick a 60 yard field goal (it would have been a 62 yard field goal from the "Skin's 45).

At least if Zuerline kicks, they've got a chance to get points, but with the pass, they are ensured of getting no where and clock running out. Help me understand this.

Probably because nobody was open on the outside.
--------
Who gets into Hall of Fame and in what order: K Greene, Pace, Warner, Bruce, Holt, Ellard

I'd say Pace and Warner first.
---------
It was third down. Throw the ball way and let Zuerline try a kick from 62 yards out.

Actually, it would have been a 63-yard field goal. Zuerlein has had trouble on this field before _ he missed two field goals and an extra point on this surface last season. It's a little mind-boggling to me that you're obsessing over this after a half in which the Rams were outscored 17-0 and outgained 239 yard to 72.
--------
Rams fan in the Philly area here Jim. Fearing a little for my safety after the way Bradford has been playing. The Eagles fans are sharpening their pick forks, I could be targeted...

Probably not a good time to be wearing your Bradford jersey.
--------
is it me, or do they play in slow motion on grass. I have zero confidence they can win on the road, especially on grass

I think we're so used to seeing them inside on turf that they do look slower on grass.
---------
Any word on Jenkins injury status? I'd prefer he take a few games off. He seems to personify the up and down performance mentality of the whole team.

Told he's fine.
-------
If I recall correctly, the Rams have a substantial amount of cap room left over that could have been used to sign a veteran offensive lineman (like perhaps Joe Barksdale or perhaps someone even better). This was an obvious potential move, and not doing this was puzzling to you and to us. Now it appears this will bite the Rams in the behind.

Is there anybody left out there who might be of help, or has that ship sailed already and we have to suffer through with what we have?

Ship has pretty much sailed.
--------
besides Ogletree the LB's were non existent. Is Ayers even on this team? Barron hasn't been good either when he plays on the outside.

Ayers played a lot more Sunday (27 snaps compared to 9 opening day) and had 4 tackles against Washington. Barron was very effective in his role vs. Seattle. Not so much vs. Washington.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump in case anyone missed reading it. :banana: :popcorn: :banana:

RamzFanz

Damnit
It was third down. Throw the ball way and let Zuerline try a kick from 62 yards out.

Actually, it would have been a 63-yard field goal. Zuerlein has had trouble on this field before _ he missed two field goals and an extra point on this surface last season. It's a little mind-boggling to me that you're obsessing over this after a half in which the Rams were outscored 17-0 and outgained 239 yard to 72.

That's just rude of JT. He refuses to answer the question and then says the guy is obsessing.

It WAS 3rd down with seconds left. It WAS within range to take a shot. Take the damn points.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
instigate

verb in·sti·gate \ˈin(t)-stə-ˌgāt\
: to cause (something) to happen or begin

:whistle:

pro·mote
prəˈmōt/
verb
  1. further the progress of (something, especially a cause, venture, or aim); support or actively encourage.
    "some regulation is still required to promote competition"
    synonyms:encourage, advocate, further, advance, assist, aid, help, contribute to, foster, nurture, develop, boost, stimulate, forward, work for
    "an organization promoting justice"

2. advance or raise (someone) to a higher position or rank.
    "she was promoted to general manager"
    synonyms:upgrade, give promotion to, elevate, advance, move up;
Now where's my middle finger smilie? :sneaky:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That's just rude of JT. He refuses to answer the question and then says the guy is obsessing.

It WAS 3rd down with seconds left. It WAS within range to take a shot. Take the damn points.

As conservative as JT is, you'd think he'd appreciate a field goal in that situation.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What was a mistake?

Not going for a 63 yard field goal on a field that Zuerline has struggled on?

Thomas answered the person the first time... and it made sense... they went down the middle because the outside was shut down.

The person didn't like that answer (even though it was logical) and asked again.

Not sure that's being obssessed... but the person got their answer the first time.

Sounded like an internet person who is just trying to win. ;)